Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Catfish

Favorite Lure for Cats-Success photos

(1/3) > >>

doublehaul:
What's your favorite lure for icin' some channel cats?
Favorite bait? Location? Time of year? Depth?

How about some success photos?

adammd:
Bait - can't seem to do better than wax worms.

TOY - No specific time of year.

Depth - Never seem to find them on the bottom, or they never seem to hit when they are at the bottom.  I prefer fishing the channel but fishing at the depth of the channel sides. 

Pics -

Jerry1492:
I've never tried fishing for channel cats through the ice but I know people do it.
 I never thought wax worms would be effective. Do you use a jig or just a hook?
I'd like to try it this winter since we have a good population of cats in one of our local lakes.

doublehaul:
Nice fish. How'd you fit his head through the hole? Never thought to try waxworms.

adammd:

--- Quote from: Jerry1492 on Dec 07, 2009, 05:09 PM ---I've never tried fishing for channel cats through the ice but I know people do it.
 I never thought wax worms would be effective. Do you use a jig or just a hook?
I'd like to try it this winter since we have a good population of cats in one of our local lakes.

--- End quote ---

I will generally use a teardrop with one or many waxies on it, or a spoon, never tried just a bare hook, but I don't set out in search of cats only.  I am never really targetting them, just end up finding them, and usually when I find one I find many.  I generally fish with one minnow dead-sticked, and another with whatever I am acutally doing.  Have had experiences where they will not touch the minnows, but love the wax when they are side by side, not sure why.  I have tried any number of baits, and minnows work OK, but as far as other artificials, cutbait, or anything else teardrops seem to be the best for me.  Also I would say a minnow head jigged produces better for me compared to a swimming minnow. 

Another thing I noticed with cats, is when you get into numbers of them, they are often very similar in size.  Not sure if this is just what I have experienced, but seems to be the case most of the time. 

--- Quote from: doublehaul on Dec 08, 2009, 02:15 AM ---Nice fish. How'd you fit his head through the hole? Never thought to try waxworms.

--- End quote ---

Had to pull good to get it out, went back in fairly smooth. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version