Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819585 times)

Offline Cooey22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1680 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:40 AM »
I got my skis for free from a facebook Free cycle group (local)
Check that out as well for skis
Or ask on facebook for sale sites (local)

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1681 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:42 AM »
I have put it on the paying it forward section but I will put it here as well. I have a set of skis with the bindings on them that I am willing to give away. if you are close to my area and willing to come get them, they are yours.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1683 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:54 AM »
Icefishwyo, how does your sled perform in deep snow and slush, if you get much of that in your area?
Usually gets blown off in my fishing area but last weekend had both and if you deal with this a lot I would make the risers from skis to box taller and slush build up did make it heavier.
Thanks for the compliments guys

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1684 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:27 AM »
I made mine from 2X6 pine but in the interest of strength I sistered a piece of 3/4 marine plywood to the uprights using liquid nails and SS wood screws... the cross pieces were drilled for  an axle made of 1" conduit with a spindle weldment to fit a set of discarded lawn mower tires ( and Ive yet to need the axle/tires since I made that mod.)... the tenion is drilled to fit a 1" conduit sleeve .. a 1/2"  lag was screwed and glued then cut to size in the upwrights... a light coating of silicone grease make the whole thing a snap to disassemble... I added "stop" blocks to the cross pieces to keep the sled in place...I made 2 sets of cross pieces...one for my Nordic sled the other for my Eskimo wide one pop up shelter... the uprights are mounted to feet that allowed me to screw and glue from the top rather than drill from the bottom...

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1685 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:52 AM »
I made mine from 2X6 pine but in the interest of strength I sistered a piece of 3/4 marine plywood to the uprights using liquid nails and SS wood screws... the cross pieces were drilled for  an axle made of 1" conduit with a spindle weldment to fit a set of discarded lawn mower tires ( and Ive yet to need the axle/tires since I made that mod.)... the tenion is drilled to fit a 1" conduit sleeve .. a 1/2"  lag was screwed and glued then cut to size in the upwrights... a light coating of silicone grease make the whole thing a snap to disassemble... I added "stop" blocks to the cross pieces to keep the sled in place...I made 2 sets of cross pieces...one for my Nordic sled the other for my Eskimo wide one pop up shelter... the uprights are mounted to feet that allowed me to screw and glue from the top rather than drill from the bottom...

any detailed pix?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1686 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:34 AM »
I just took pictures of the sled..the axel are  not here with me... the above should have read 1/2" conduit.for the sleeves.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1687 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:44 AM »
took her out on the maiden voyage !!! pulled like a dream

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline wentworth

• IceShanty Rookie
RE: An idea
« Reply #1688 on: Jan 13, 2018, 12:27 PM »
Alaska mike
          Nice job on the sled I really like your idea on the pin and bushing combo.What size black pipe nipples did you use?
          1/8 or 1/4 inch maybe.Only can find 1/2 inch around here.Think I will use your idea with smitty"s newer sled ,using 2x4s
          Thanks.Got skunked on Lake Wentworth in Wolfeboro the other day oh well.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: RE: An idea
« Reply #1689 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:15 PM »
Alaska mike
          Nice job on the sled I really like your idea on the pin and bushing combo.What size black pipe nipples did you use?
          1/8 or 1/4 inch maybe.Only can find 1/2 inch around here.Think I will use your idea with smitty"s newer sled ,using 2x4s
          Thanks.Got skunked on Lake Wentworth in Wolfeboro the other day oh well.

I used 1/2" round stock with 1/2" pipe.  I cut the pipe 1 1/2' long and used a dremel to get rid of the seam line inside the pipe.  Then I chucked the 1/2" round stock in  a drill and while spinning it, took it to a grinder till it fit inside the pipe. Then I chamfered the top of the round stock pins to make it easier to get started in the pipe bushings.
This is the second year on the sled and the pin and bushings have kept the sled tight, no racking whatsoever.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1690 on: Jan 14, 2018, 02:08 PM »
took her out on the maiden voyage !!! pulled like a dream

Looks gr8!
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1691 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:35 PM »

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1692 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Reinforcement and spacer block for the axels

Offline huntneiowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1693 on: Jan 25, 2018, 04:24 PM »
My smitty

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1694 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:10 AM »
My smitty

Well done......tight lines
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1695 on: Feb 01, 2018, 06:21 PM »
somebody once made a sled with knock down legs so you could drop your load to ground level.  then snap it back up to 8 inches when you are ready to walk home

anybody have those photos?

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #1696 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:33 AM »
"2drunks 2power tools and 2 hours"

been wanting to make one of your sleds for long time smitty, but never ran across the skies.  well, i picked up a pair from a local member the other day. i was thrilled to be finally on my way to this build.  i stopped at a friends house one evening for a couple cold ones and some bs.  we got to talking about it and he looked around the garage and said "lets make it!  i bet we can scrounge up everything just laying around here". sure enough we found the scraps to do it.  so the 2 drunks, the sawsall and the drill went to town.  ;D 

end result

wont win any beauty contests but shes strong.  i was impressed after pulling my buddy around his house a lap. lol ill never have that much weight in my sled so i deem it a success! 

another thanks tossed your way mr. smitty sir!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #1697 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:56 AM »
Looks robust!! Should work great:)

Offline bneate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1698 on: Feb 08, 2018, 03:23 PM »
Getting ready for build this weekend 
What width should skis be ?? Maybe 30 inches wide  pulling on foot and or snowmobile on erie   maybe Polaris ranger
Heigth of risers?I was thinking 8 inches

Skis 6.5 ft long  making runners 5.5 ft long  Any thuoghts would be great    you guys have done this already  save me mistakes maybe

Brent

Offline bneate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1699 on: Feb 08, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Forgot to mention im using scrap aluminum so any number will work just cut n weld

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1700 on: Feb 08, 2018, 03:59 PM »
Getting ready for build this weekend 
What width should skis be ?? Maybe 30 inches wide  pulling on foot and or snowmobile on erie   maybe Polaris ranger
Heigth of risers?I was thinking 8 inches

Skis 6.5 ft long  making runners 5.5 ft long  Any thuoghts would be great    you guys have done this already  save me mistakes maybe

Brent

Measure your wheels on the ranger, base your ski width on that....

<°)))>{

Offline bneate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1701 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:19 PM »
ok  my ski doo is 42 center to center  i thought that may be too wide  ranger will straddle 2 corn rows  maybe 36   My first thought was 30 inches

Brent

Offline bneate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1702 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:29 PM »
ok  my ski doo is 42 center to center  i thought that may be too wide  ranger will straddle 2 corn rows  maybe 36   My first thought was 30 inches

Brent

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1703 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:34 PM »

Brent

If there's a chance of pulling on foot, you would want your skis the width of the most common vehicle's tires (center to center) whatever is the most common in your areas... That way you can take advantage of their tracks if you are stuck walking...

Good luck!

<°)))>{

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #1704 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:17 AM »
The cross pieces can be made any length you want to make them. then you can adjust them as you need too for the sled to be wider or narrower.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1705 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:26 AM »
I'm with Al, you can make the cross piece long and drill holes to fit the vehicle you are towing with or even have different cross pieces for each vehicle. I don't tow mine so all I can say is the width of the skis has to be at least as wide as the shelter or gear you are pulling, maybe a little wider.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #1706 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:31 AM »
Width does matter as does the length. When I built my first smitty I measured the tub at the top and made the smitty to fit those dimentions. Found out later that the tub was smaller on the bottom than the top and it kept falling through.A piece of 1/2in plywood helped.

Offline xxgg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1707 on: Feb 09, 2018, 05:29 PM »
I just had a complete opposite thought.

Instead of adding wheels to a smitty sled,

Has anyone thought about adding skis to a cart?

Just do a Google image search with key words like "skis on stroller"

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1708 on: Feb 09, 2018, 10:25 PM »
Scraped and waxed my skis tonight. Hoping they pull easy tomorrow in this snow we got. Skid were pretty dinged up and had lots of cuts in the bottom.
jbird68

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1709 on: Feb 10, 2018, 07:17 PM »
That should help a bunch jbird.....good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.