Author Topic: New gear reviews  (Read 2650 times)

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
New gear reviews
« on: Feb 07, 2024, 09:20 PM »
Curious what new gear did you get this season that you've had a chance to put to the test and review? Comments, similar results?
I'm usually old school and keep it pretty simple but
I have a few:
1) I made the decision to get an even lighter auger setup than my strikemaster 40v 10" , for the purpose of early ice or even lighter running and gunning. I got the SM liteflite 8" paired with a DeWalt DCD 999 Flexvolt with both 6ah and 9ah battery(great deal at $299). This setup absolutely rips, it actually blew me away.  so light. What was most amazing was how long one 6 Ah battery actually lasted, probably will never even need the 9ah battery. I've fished from Jan 1 to Feb 4th on ONE charge before it finally died last weekend. Left it in the cold truck all month too. My calculations put it at about roughly 1200" of ice on same charge. Well worth the money.
The liteflite has eaten anything I've thrown at it too. Lots of wonky and refrozen chunk ice no problem. Same great cutting as my other strikemaster.
Now my other 40v setup is actually getting lonely. I prefer the 10" hole but with ice under a foot it's no issue.

2) I was gifted a Gonex reel liner. Now this is not something I probably would have bought , looks gimmicky but it actually proved to be a pretty handy tool. So easy to reline all the spinning reels this year, especially with no twisting. It's dummy proof.

3) Lastly, I was also gifted an Eskimo outbreak 450xd. The intention was to tote this on the wheeler mostly for doing overnights and more cusk fishing, since I already have a smaller uninsulated QF for day trips.
I have not used this yet unfortunately. Although I have thrown it in the truck a few times and damn it's heavy. F*** that carrying that thing a mile down the lake. Maybe next year when I get the wheeler out on better ice.

- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New gear reviews
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2024, 09:55 PM »
Well, this year new to my arsenal is circle tackle alpha paired with piscifun icx mini, perfect soft plastic combo.
Garmin panoptix, not livescope and not nearly as much detail, but with a price tag difference of around 2k the panoptix ps22 been a game changer soo far, being able to scan 150 to 200ft around the hole saves me days of scouting in the ice, on small ponds been an absolute killer, I can get to the edge of a basin and start scanning for those crappies and white perch, and only needing a hole every 300ft or so I can get on a school of fish within minutes instead of hour/days of chasing.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2024, 05:44 AM »
I'm about to sell my Nils 8 and go with the liteflite 8. I have the same drill with just the 9ah battery. A couple buddies have the liteflite and it rips. Easy on the drill and so light.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline ZLaLonde

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2024, 06:15 AM »
My Ion Alpha has definitely saved my arms a lot of soreness. Even though I could probably use the workout on a hand auger, that ion just tips right though ice, and i can probably drill 400 holes on one battery charge. Definitely makes finding the fish easier

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2024, 07:31 AM »
I bought the eskimo brand XL collapsible tripod chair.  It lets you sit up nice and upright while you are jigging and getting on and off the chair is a piece of cake.  It's also considerably smaller to pack in your sled than the normal camping chairs that I used to use.  I would definitely recommend it.

I also ordered the Easysled from the Ice Shanty sponsor in canada.  It is simply an aluminum smitty sled kit.  It works great and is very light.  It comes apart in about 10 seconds which makes getting it put away super easy.  I would also recommend this if you have been wanting a smitty sled.  If you don't know about a smitty sled just do a search here on ice shanty.

The last thing I bought was an eskimo quickfish 2i insulated pop up shanty.  I bought this for solo excursions and can confidently say its been a great addition to the arsenal.  It is much lighter and smaller than my 450XD.  It is easy to set up and take down and put away solo.  It would be tight for 2 guys but 1 guy is plenty roomy for a day trip.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2024, 08:10 AM »
I bought the eskimo brand XL collapsible tripod chair.  It lets you sit up nice and upright while you are jigging and getting on and off the chair is a piece of cake.  It's also considerably smaller to pack in your sled than the normal camping chairs that I used to use.  I would definitely recommend it.

X2  Great addition to your gear collection.

Offline Winds-of-Thor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2024, 08:27 AM »

I also ordered the Easysled from the Ice Shanty sponsor in canada.  It is simply an aluminum smitty sled kit.  It works great and is very light.  It comes apart in about 10 seconds which makes getting it put away super easy.  I would also recommend this if you have been wanting a smitty sled.  If you don't know about a smitty sled just do a search here on ice shanty.

The last thing I bought was an eskimo quickfish 2i insulated pop up shanty.  I bought this for solo excursions and can confidently say its been a great addition to the arsenal.  It is much lighter and smaller than my 450XD.  It is easy to set up and take down and put away solo.  It would be tight for 2 guys but 1 guy is plenty roomy for a day trip.

After reading this I now have three things to check out!

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2024, 05:24 AM »
Not new, but I love my reel wraps.  You can buy premade, but i went to Lowes and got a roll of velcro for pretty short money.  Works great on my trolling rods too.  That cork hookum stuff sucks.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2024, 06:06 AM »
Picked a couple of the St Croix mojo ice rods from Fish USA, ordered them on a Monday they came in on Wednesday…..so far I like them
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2024, 08:07 AM »

My old chair just happened to rip on Sunday. .
So I just picked up one of these.
Thanks for the review!
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2024, 08:51 AM »
My old chair just happened to rip on Sunday. .
So I just picked up one of these.
Thanks for the review!

They're not cheap (what is these days?) but I am very happy with the purchase!  The XL version is quite heavy duty and has no issues with my 300+ pounds.  Enjoy your new chair!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2024, 11:55 AM »
They're not cheap (what is these days?) but I am very happy with the purchase!  The XL version is quite heavy duty and has no issues with my 300+ pounds.  Enjoy your new chair!

$40 @ KTP and holds my ~300 lb fat ass just fine.

https://www.kitterytradingpost.com/fishing-marine/ice-fishing/shelters-sleds/eskimo-folding-ice-chair-59781.html?cgid=0#q=Eskimo&lang=default&start=1

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2024, 12:25 PM »
Nice thead!   ;D

Some new additions for me this yr...

1) Aqua-Vu Strike-Vu camera....it is functional....but main issue is that there's no on/off button. So, I have hours of footage of the bottom of my sled....plus it will drain the battery recording the bottom of my sled.  It's supposed to record when it's wet (& not record when it's dry)....problem is that no matter how many times you wipe it dry....multiple dry cloths...it just keeps on recording (so multi-purpose sensor/charging port/downloading port doesn't work properly). A simple on/off button under a rubber coating would make this thing 10x better.  Also, it would be nice to see what it was recording via your cell phone, but that functionality doesn't exist either - so you record blind.  It does have some blinking lights - either red or blue.  Blue is good - that means it's recording.  No lights means that battery has worn out recording the bottom of the sled.   ::)

2) Gamakatsu Open Eye Siwash hooks.....I've been using these to replace the hooks that come w/ swedish pimples & similar spoons.  Very strong, very sharp.  Open eye means you can slide on split ring easily, but you need to crimp it down with pliers (otherwise it could just fall off).  So, close the eye w/ pliers & you're good to go.  Size #10 on smallest swedish pimple (& similar spoons) & go up from there.

3) Striker bibs w/ floatation. Picked these up on a black friday sale.  Very warm - so warm that I find myself dressing down instead of layering up.  Runs slightly big (I got an XL - I might have gone w/ a L if I had tried it on in a store....I'm 6'1" 210 lbs for reference). Lots of pockets. Belt loops, but no belt included. Ankle cuffs are flared like a bell bottom w/ straps + buttons.  It's an odd design, but it's made to fit over big, bulky ice boots.  It works, but it's a little awkward.  Bonus is that my feet stay warmer since bibs extend down + over the top of my boots - I like warm feet.  The straps on the "bell bottoms" have a tendency to come undone & I could see the straps & bottom of the cuff attracting icicles in the right conditions as the clearance off the ice is very narrow (again, could be a sizing thing).

4) Eskimo jacket. I got this on sale during summer. I haven't had a chance to wear it very much (b/c bibs are so warm), but when I have needed it - it's worked well. Lots of pockets. Well designed + warm, but no floatation.  I really just wanted another layer to throw on when the sun went down behind the trees.  For that purpose, it's been great, but I probably wouldn't want to pay full price for the amount of times that I've needed it.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2024, 03:21 PM »
Putting it to the test right now!!
$50 well spent.  very comfortable and seems to be built rugged. And yes I agree I like these style of chairs for getting in and out of easier.

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2024, 05:56 PM »
$50 well spent.  very comfortable and seems to be built rugged. And yes I agree I like these style of chairs for getting in and out of easier.

I have that same Eskimo chair and can’t stand it! It’s light weight and easy to carry around but I feel like it ruins your ballbag after an hour or so sitting in it

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2024, 08:42 PM »
Farm and fleet has those chairs on sale for $30, just throwing that out there. Might be a good deal even if you pay shipping.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2024, 08:40 AM »

aka "Nutbuster"
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2024, 08:56 AM »
Nice thead!   ;D
Most striker bibs have velcro on the inside of the outer layer (kind of a pain to undo the whole thing) that let's you adjust the length.  Saves the bottoms from fraying, and more comfortable
Some new additions for me this yr...

1) Aqua-Vu Strike-Vu camera....it is functional....but main issue is that there's no on/off button. So, I have hours of footage of the bottom of my sled....plus it will drain the battery recording the bottom of my sled.  It's supposed to record when it's wet (& not record when it's dry)....problem is that no matter how many times you wipe it dry....multiple dry cloths...it just keeps on recording (so multi-purpose sensor/charging port/downloading port doesn't work properly). A simple on/off button under a rubber coating would make this thing 10x better.  Also, it would be nice to see what it was recording via your cell phone, but that functionality doesn't exist either - so you record blind.  It does have some blinking lights - either red or blue.  Blue is good - that means it's recording.  No lights means that battery has worn out recording the bottom of the sled.   ::)

2) Gamakatsu Open Eye Siwash hooks.....I've been using these to replace the hooks that come w/ swedish pimples & similar spoons.  Very strong, very sharp.  Open eye means you can slide on split ring easily, but you need to crimp it down with pliers (otherwise it could just fall off).  So, close the eye w/ pliers & you're good to go.  Size #10 on smallest swedish pimple (& similar spoons) & go up from there.

3) Striker bibs w/ floatation. Picked these up on a black friday sale.  Very warm - so warm that I find myself dressing down instead of layering up.  Runs slightly big (I got an XL - I might have gone w/ a L if I had tried it on in a store....I'm 6'1" 210 lbs for reference). Lots of pockets. Belt loops, but no belt included. Ankle cuffs are flared like a bell bottom w/ straps + buttons.  It's an odd design, but it's made to fit over big, bulky ice boots.  It works, but it's a little awkward.  Bonus is that my feet stay warmer since bibs extend down + over the top of my boots - I like warm feet.  The straps on the "bell bottoms" have a tendency to come undone & I could see the straps & bottom of the cuff attracting icicles in the right conditions as the clearance off the ice is very narrow (again, could be a sizing thing).

4) Eskimo jacket. I got this on sale during summer. I haven't had a chance to wear it very much (b/c bibs are so warm), but when I have needed it - it's worked well. Lots of pockets. Well designed + warm, but no floatation.  I really just wanted another layer to throw on when the sun went down behind the trees.  For that purpose, it's been great, but I probably wouldn't want to pay full price for the amount of times that I've needed it.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2024, 09:12 AM »
Most striker bibs have velcro on the inside of the outer layer (kind of a pain to undo the whole thing) that let's you adjust the length.  Saves the bottoms from fraying, and more comfortable

Thx!  I'll look into that - I tend to skip over the directions.  :)

Offline radisson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2024, 07:11 AM »
Purchased a engel 13 qt bait cooler with the rechargeable battery aerator this year. Game changer for me, battery stays charged all day recharges quickly and the bait holds up much better than in buckets.
At the very least I would recommend getting the chargeable aerator which is sold separately,  it will be a game changer for those running the battery operated ones.

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2024, 07:56 AM »
Very timely.  I too just bought an Engel 13Qt bait cooler, this was my first weekend with it.  I really liked the fact that it latches closed and the aerator attaches nicely.  I bought the Kedsum rechargeable after reading about it in the general forum.  It works great with the 10 second on/off feature.  I know bait rarely dies on the ice in the normal bucket, but this is just more convenient.  Like the big net inside too.

My buddy just bought one of those Igloo chairs.  I liked it, will probably look for one.
I got a great deal on the bait bucket at Scheels.

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2024, 07:59 AM »

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2024, 05:10 PM »
Nice thread, some good info here. Didn't really get anything new this year myself.
I'm a fan of the tripod chairs, I've got an Otter but looks pretty much the same as the Mo... If you're sitting long enough for them to split your giblets you gotta go check your traps and shake up the bait or something lol
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2024, 05:53 PM »
On the Eskimo XL chair,
All you guys nuts must be way bigger than mine. I sit against the seat back and my bag is atleast 8 inches from the front nub. No issue.
And I'm 200

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2024, 05:55 PM »
Purchased a engel 13 qt bait cooler with the rechargeable battery aerator this year. Game changer for me, battery stays charged all day recharges quickly and the bait holds up much better than in buckets.
At the very least I would recommend getting the chargeable aerator which is sold separately,  it will be a game changer for those running the battery operated ones.
Good purchase! I bought one of the Engels about six or seven years ago. I'll never go back to a regular bait bucket again.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2024, 08:13 AM »
On the Eskimo XL chair,
All you guys nuts must be way bigger than mine. I sit against the seat back and my bag is atleast 8 inches from the front nub. No issue.
And I'm 200

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Tjnedz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2024, 08:55 AM »
I bought a Gen 3 Ion Ice Auger this season, 8" with composite blade, absolutely love it. I will never go back to a gas auger again. One battery lasted all weekend. Granted the ice was soft and only 7 inches but I was totally impressed.

Ditto on the Eskimo chair. It is comfortable to sit in, just don't drop anything on the ice and expect to lean forward and pick it up.

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2024, 11:24 AM »
On the Eskimo XL chair,
And I'm 200

Lmao then the one I have isn’t the xl, my nads are right up against the knob and is terrible

Offline MLBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2024, 01:03 PM »
I added Livescope to the Garmin 93sv I use in the summer and it has been game changing on the ice.  It's obviously great for finding fish at a distance horizontally, but its two dimensional view gives you much more insight as to how fish respond to your jigging than possible with a flasher, which just shows you the one vertical dimension.  It is very expensive but well worth it to me.

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 19, 2024, 03:50 AM »
I love my ION.  When I went to the garage to get my gear unpacked this season, it still had 3 out of 4 bars on the battery from last year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.