Author Topic: Ice flashers  (Read 10274 times)

Offline dempster123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • born to fish forced to work
Ice flashers
« on: Nov 15, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Thinking on buying a humminbird ice55. Used one once with a friend once and loved it any thoughts? Or is there better for the similar price

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice flashers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:04 AM »
I have the 35 and have zero reason to up grade to a 45 or 55.   Sure it would be nice to have all the colors and digital depth but for the extra 200 for the 55 ? not worth it IMHO.

Offline swc21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:15 AM »
I have the 35 and have zero reason to up grade to a 45 or 55.   Sure it would be nice to have all the colors and digital depth but for the extra 200 for the 55 ? not worth it IMHO.

I have the 35 as well. does everything you need. im very happy with mine. the 45 will get you digital dept reading rather than the dial gauge on 35 wich is no big deal. your depth doesnt change unless you move holes so no reason to have a digital display. the 55 gives you 5 colors instaed of the 3 the 35 has. no big deal unless you need to tell the difference between a 6" perch and a 7" perch lol. anyway just my opinion save yourself the 200 bucks, youll be happy with the 35.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:18 AM »
Ive had a 35, 45 and currently have the 55. You cant go wrong with any of them, I love my 55 to death but I do believe the 35 is the best bang for your buck unit on the market. The 45 is a nice "in between" unit if you want the best of both worlds, I do love the 6 colour display on the 55 though.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline dagdagger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Ice 55 I purchased this last year and was amazed at the success it created for me can't wait to get it going again

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:40 AM »
I have the ice 55 and love it, the extra colors and the case are worth every extra dime, but you can't go wrong with any of the 35, or 45 either. Flashers are a game changer!!

Offline hector

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:49 AM »

I have the 35 as well. does everything you need. im very happy with mine. the 45 will get you digital dept reading rather than the dial gauge on 35 wich is no big deal. your depth doesnt change unless you move holes so no reason to have a digital display. the 55 gives you 5 colors instaed of the 3 the 35 has. no big deal unless you need to tell the difference between a 6" perch and a 7" perch lol. anyway just my opinion save yourself the 200 bucks, youll be happy with the 35.

x3

The 35 meets all of my needs and is a total gamechanger!

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:56 AM »
I love my Ice55 but like others have said you will get by nicely with most any flasher.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2012, 12:23 PM »
X4 

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2012, 12:41 PM »
Being a Marcum guy I'd go with the LX-5.  Whether you go Bird, Vex or Marcum you will enjoy using a flasher.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Being a Marcum guy I'd go with the LX-5.  Whether you go Bird, Vex or Marcum you will enjoy using a flasher.

If I was going to go Marcum, it would be LX7 or nothing so that it could do double duty on my boat in the summer.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2012, 01:02 PM »
I have the LX-7. Its the best for me.   I thought they were talking in the $500.00 range.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Iceeye19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2012, 02:25 PM »
How are the vexilars looking at the 22 pro pack

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2012, 02:38 PM »
I have the 45, and love it.  As has been said vex, marcum, or bird, all make quality products.  You will love having a flasher.  Good Luck!

Offline dempster123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2012, 03:40 PM »
Sounds like the 35 or 45 is the way to go all those other colors are not a big deal
All a guy needs is to know the fish is there and is following is hook ... Thanks guys

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2012, 03:46 PM »
I'm also a marcum guy, if your gona spend the money ya might as well get it all. Go with the lx-6 or lx-7. You will not be disappointed.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2012, 04:17 PM »
How are the vexilars looking at the 22 pro pack

the 22 is meant for shallow water but is supposed to be a good unit

they are all good

i bought a lowrance x67c new and still have it and use it in the summer on my rowboat but dont use it on the ice due to interference issues and poor performance in deep water

i bought a used vex fl 18 off ebay and LOVE IT ...  it is my go to machine for the ice

my friend has a bird 55 and LOVES IT .....   it is really nice

sounds like the 35 is close ........
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2012, 01:08 AM »
I am hooked on Vexilar . Thats not to say that the other brands are inferior , but have never had a reason to switch. I started using a vex in the early 90s and its reliability was phenominal. I just picked up my 2nd unit this year FL20 Pro pack. The other unit still works great but thought I would upgrade from the FL 18. I do also agree with the posts that mention that the units with more than 3 colours is not neccessary( but a nice option for those that want to pay for it).  3 colour scheme units are just as effective and lets face it, once you see the big bar and get rocked ...it doesnt matter what colour the screen was.

Offline specialized

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2012, 02:06 AM »
http://radioworld.ca/more-ice-fishing-products-ice-flashers-ice-45-flasher-p-5250.html
great price on the 45.  I have all three and love the 45 the best.  I put a 9amp instead of the 7amp battery on it and now love it that much more.  The zoom is nice to have if you ask me and is much more fun to look at the digital screen instead of not.  You can't beat this price as well with the 45 dollar rebate.  Get the 45 and you won't be disappointed!

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2012, 06:56 AM »
I went with the 45 last year and am very happy with it. Good overall unit.

Offline dempster123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2012, 07:24 AM »
Ok so I have been looking lots now for differences so what is the difference between the 45 and 55

Offline z1029384756a

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2012, 07:41 AM »
From what i recall when I was looking is the 55 came with a soft case 45 did not, 55 has 6 colors, a target line and more power.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2012, 08:30 AM »
From what i recall when I was looking is the 55 came with a soft case 45 did not, 55 has 6 colors, a target line and more power.

Yup that's right, Soft Case, Target line, 6 color palet, 2400 power (Appose to 1800 with the 45) Also the Ice-55 Gain has 50 settings not sure if the Ice-45 has 50 or 25?

Offline dempster123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2012, 09:05 AM »
Does the power make it work better or does it just last longer without a charge? The colors don't really matter the 50 gain settings apposed to 25 isn't a big deal I don't need to know the difference from a 9 inch perch and a 10, the case is nice but I got a pack that would work fine....... Thinking 45??? Unless the power is important

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2012, 11:04 AM »
The power just means that at 100ft of water you will pick up a small jig a bit better, if you fish in 50ft or less water it really isn't that big of a deal. I will say though the soft case is worth getting the 55, if you bought the soft case seperate from the 45 it's about the same cost as the 55, so if you plan on buying the case just get the 55 with the added power and features.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2012, 11:45 AM »
If you do go with a bird then make sure you rip that second transducer cord off, its only there to get around a patent marcum or vex has and its totally unecessary. If anything the second cord just means getting tangled more and actually has a tendency to make the transducer shoot sideways a hair, this will still allow you to read but you will have to crank up your gain and you will get less accuracy and more interference. Humminbird themselves told me it was fine to remove the second cord and I havent had a problem in 4 years.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2012, 08:36 PM »
dbk and layne are spot on, go with the 55 and never look back...

Offline fuzzy39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 21, 2012, 12:49 AM »
I have had the 35 for 2 seasons and it is fantastic. Couldn't justify the extra cost for the 55. The soft case would be  a great touch, but for $50 bucks, I'll stick with my 5 gallon pail. BTW, the battery life with my 35 is great. A couple days on the same charge if you push it. I'll usually charge it at night if I am going out the next day though just to be sure (especially if it is real cold out). Anyway you go, the flasher will change how you ice fish and you'll leave the camera at home.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2012, 04:26 PM »
After rebate the Ice 55 can be had for $355 including tax and shipping. If your a perch fisherman the 6 color feature is very valuable. You can really get a feel for how many fish are in the thick weeds with the extra colors. Throw in the soft case and it's really hard not to get the 55 for that price. All of the major brands work well but when you compare the features for the price paid the Birds with that huge screen is hard to beat.

Offline fuzzy39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Perchslappinmy, where did you find an Ice 55 for that price? For sure if you can find a 55 for that, go with it. I paid $300 for my 35 and that was $30 off the regular price.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.