Author Topic: Whytie's quick strike rig and circle hook rig  (Read 8469 times)

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Whytie's quick strike rig and circle hook rig
« on: Nov 28, 2012, 11:35 PM »
I've mentioned in a previous post I would do a walkthrough on making my quick strike rigs so sit back and enjoy.

What you will need:
- a decent pair of crimpers
- two treble hooks
- coated steel leader or floro leader material
- and crimp sleeves about twice the diameter of the leader ( for floro use the same diameter double barrel sleeves to prevent pinching the floro and weakening the over all strength of the leader)

Quick strike rig

step 1: slide leader through the sleeve and the treble eye.

step 2: loop leader around and back through sleeve.

step 3: crimp sleeve and trim excess

step 4: slide on new sleeve and make a loop

step 5: adjust to desired length and crimp

step 6: repeat step 1 to 3 and your done

Circle hook rig

step 1: slide leader through sleeve and hook eye

step 2: wrap leader around the front of the hook and back through the eye and sleeve

step 3: pull tight if it isn't tight when its crimped there will be some slack motion between the hook and leader and it could cause you to lose the fish.

step 4: crimp(notice there isn't much room for the leader to move back and forth)

step 5: slide sleeve on leader and make a loop

step 6: crimp

step 7: trim

finished products:

Now get out there and catch some monster jacks ;D.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Whytie's quick strike rig and circle hook rig
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2012, 05:57 PM »
good demo i thank you intresting makes

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2012, 06:00 AM »
Nice post Whytie, I believe I will pick up some leader material this weekend and make a few for my tipups. Have you ever attached color beads and spinner blades to help with attracting sluggish pike?

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Nice post Whytie, I believe I will pick up some leader material this weekend and make a few for my tipups. Have you ever attached color beads and spinner blades to help with attracting sluggish pike?

I have tried it but i get about the same results. I believe some guys do this since it's how their fishing regulations are set up.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2012, 02:30 PM »
Thanks for the step by step. I think I'm going follow quantuam and try my own.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline fishin buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2012, 04:16 PM »
yes thank for taking the extra time whytie to post the step by step greatly appreciated. as always lots of good info and tips  on the site  :tipup:

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2012, 05:13 PM »
Whytie, you are on the money there. I thought I was the only one who tied a quickstrike rig like that. I make mine just a little longer, maybe six inches per leg and I use 80# Stren Fluro with a pair of #6 Owner trebles. Absolutely lethal.The key is the double barreled crimps and a proper set of crimping pliers. Regular pliers can do more damage than good. I studied up on some articles in Sport Fishing magazine which is all about saltwater how-to. Those saltwater boys are fanatics about line, knots, crimps and so forth which is not surprising since in a billfish tourney they may have a $50,000 entry fee on the line. Of course they're dealing with much bigger quarry than some knothead like me staring at an 8" hole in the ice but it's useful to know some of their techniques. They favor circle hooks as you seem to also. I like circles for cats in the summer but they should be dandy for northerns also.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:23 AM »
This is the style that I really like. I had some doubts on how the horizontal rigs held fish in the water. Do you ever make the legs different lengths to point the baits nose up or down?

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:40 AM »
@ stinkyfingers I do have some that have longer legs I usually use a 6-8" smelt and the 4" legs spread out long enough to keep the bait from folding when it thaws and no too long where the fish hits the leader with his nose before the bait. I've seen jacks on my camera drop the bait if they hit the leader or line first.

@ goatskin I have mad one with on leg and inch shorter than the other to make it look like the smelt is rising or tipped down to make it look like its feeding. I haven't noticed a difference in presentation yet.

once I'm home I'll post 2 more rigs I've made. one is a vertical rig the other is a modified horizontal rig where I used a 3 way swivel.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2012, 10:11 AM »
Thanks for the instructional.

Do you attach them to your main line with a snap-swivel or do you tie them on direct?

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2012, 10:46 AM »
I use a swivel to attach my rigs makes it easier to switch when the leader get torn up after the pike does its death rolls. i use 80lb dracon line and never had one bite through it but it can get chewed up abit.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2012, 12:11 PM »
Is it a swivel with a snap?

When I tie my quick strike rigs I tie in a barrel swivel to the end. They are smaller than a snap swivel and simpler so less components to fail.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2012, 01:19 PM »
yes the swivel with a snap I tend not to fish over populated areas that can cause the fish to be leader shy. my favorite set up is a windlass tip up it out catches my stationary ones 3 to 1.

Offline william bennett

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " FLAGS UP>>GET IT"
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2012, 11:51 PM »
can you actually show these rigs  set up on a bait.. what size of bait are you using with this rig. looks like something we would use with huge suckers for musky
William Bennett

Everybody needs some form of release.......... I fish
(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:35 PM »
Guys,

You don't add a weight on your quick strike?

Thank you!
David Vadnais

Offline tfdoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:18 PM »
This was a great tutorial and helped me make a bunch of these rigs the last couple days.  I also added some blades to my rigs....I finally found a good use for those old lure blades I have kept from found or broken lures.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Holy 80# steel cable, you don't play.  ;D I agree on keeping the line tight to the circle hook, and with fluoro I simply snell knot mine. The only thing I do different is I put a swivel in the loop to tie to the line. For weight, with circle hooks, I put it on the leader. With a quick strike, I put it right on the main line. I try to keep my weights 6"-12" from the bait.
-Tom

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Can I ask, what's the advantage of attaching the circle hook that way with the loop around the shaft?
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2014, 06:37 PM »
You went through a lot of work to give us a look  :thumbsup:

Excellent pictures and a great explanation.Thanks a lot, they look very good  :clap:

WS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:54 PM »
The circle hook is tied that way, for the same reason you snell a hook. The way I understand it is it is important for the hook to stay in line with the leader. The other thing is it puts more force on the front of the hook (always put the line through the front of the eye) and presumably puts more force on the point when hooking. This is important because a circle hook is set much gentler than the yank of a J hook.
-Tom

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:12 PM »
That makes sense - thanks Thomas.  I might have to give that a try.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2014, 11:56 AM »
What size treble and circle hook are you using?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2014, 04:57 PM »
I use #4 trebles for bait about 5-10" long. If I had the choice, I would use #2's for bait 10"+. Some like to use #6's similar sized bait. Get strong trebles a 2x strong at least. I love eagle claw trebles. Circle hooks vary A LOT by brand. Most circles, a 5/0 would be best. I know team catfish run a little big, and I liked the 5/0 double action. I am trying Mustad perfect circle hooks now. They are very small, at least a full size smaller than they list. I got 4/0, but 6/0 would be much better. I have not missed a fish yet with the Mustad, and every single one has been in the corner of the mouth. The team cat fish was great at hooking things, but every once in a great while you would gut hook a fish. They also hooked a lot in the upper lip, not a big deal to me. Gami circles and some eagle claw circles were bad IMO. They were hardly even circle hooks, and I found no difference between them and regular J hooks other than you missed more. They were comparable to a kahle hook, except I would rather have the kahle. My rule of thumb for my favorite bait size of 8"-10" is the 4-5-6 rule. #4 trebles, 5/0 circles, 6/0 j hooks (including kahle).
-Tom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2014, 08:52 PM »
You will most certainly catch pike using both those rigs. I'm guessing the OP fishes for musky, but 80# is overkill for both pike and musky IMO. Nothing wrong with it though.
-Tom

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:31 PM »
The circle hook is tied that way, for the same reason you snell a hook. The way I understand it is it is important for the hook to stay in line with the leader. The other thing is it puts more force on the front of the hook (always put the line through the front of the eye) and presumably puts more force on the point when hooking. This is important because a circle hook is set much gentler than the yank of a J hook.

never knew this !  thank you !

this is the first season ive made my own pike leaders, mostly single hooks 3/0 with 30 and 45# American fishing wire, #5 barrel swivels and 4 - 2 green and 2 red - beads just above the hook.  Had good luck trout fishing with the beads last season figured the pike may like them also......tonight I made my first quick strike rigs, instead of two trebles, I used one treble for the mouth of the bait and a regular 3/0 for the back. on these I also used beads as well as a blade on the lead treble. no blades if I use dead bait.
Normally I use pike bait (big Arkansas shiners) or pond shiners, some live some dead. this season i'll be trying some frozen hearing I bought at the local bait shop...... he says they'll double my strikes! we'll see.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.