Author Topic: 2016/2017 Lake Louise reports  (Read 20701 times)

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2016/2017 Lake Louise reports
« Reply #90 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:51 PM »
Alaskan ice fishing and open water seems like a popular one right now, there's a lot of them though, that's the only one I'm actually a member of, the cover photo says it all.

Got a link you wouldn't mind sharing?  I tried googling it and it didn't work for me.

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:55 PM »
I agree about driving the trucks. Once the trails are marked out, groomed, etc., then it is common sense/courtesy not to drive through them. Best thing that can happen is heavy snowfall, but the last couple years have allowed people to drive vehicles all winter.

I just wanted to bring up the C&R. Every buddy I bring with me fishing I tell them before we go, "you will not keep a laker or rainbow, regardless of regs." I offer up salmon or halibut from my freezer if they really want the meat. I plan on buying property up there in the not-so-distant future and I want my children and grandchildren to have the same experiences I do out there.

I have an unrelated question though...What are all of the hard side shanties fishing for at the end of Susitna Lake, right before the slough to Louise? Burbot? Every year I see quite a few shacks concentrated in that spot and wondered what they were going for...
I always C & R Lakers and Rainbows

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:58 PM »
Got a link you wouldn't mind sharing?  I tried googling it and it didn't work for me.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1636212936641610/

And for the record, the cover photo got blasted by many members for the lady grabbing the gill plates on the fish (Harding Lake Laker). It was released, she apologized, admitted it was a mistake. Just a disclaimer before people assume all 1900+ members handle fish like that.

Offline FishinHank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep Fish,  It does a body good
« Reply #93 on: Jan 04, 2017, 02:42 AM »
Looks like idiot Charlie doesn't know his head from his rear

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #94 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:45 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1636212936641610/

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:28 PM »
From the Wolf Pack who's responsible for the trail and grooming.

"The January 7th Work party has been canceled. Over the Christmas & New year’s break several volunteers helped mark the lake trails. Special Thanks to all who helped, Harry Holt, Barry & Wendy Simpson, John Hicks, Pete Probasco, Eric Olson,  Jim Davis & his friend Elliot, and Bill Fair.

We'll continue the next week or so to get the map signs out at the intersections and groom if we can get the pickups and SUV's will quit driving down the snow machine trails. Please pass the word that driving vehicles on the snow machine trails is unacceptable and dangerous for snow machiner’s."

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:19 PM »
Anytime I'm at the lodge I always try to donate some money to the groomer fund.  It's real expensive to put gas in that thing they not only groom the lake but all the surrounding trails as well.  It would be nice if we could get a little more snow, the off lake trails are pretty nasty right now.  What's really cool is if you pitch the groomer a few bucks they will groom a path to your ice shack so you can drag it out in the spring.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #97 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:56 AM »
Anytime I'm at the lodge I always try to donate some money to the groomer fund.  It's real expensive to put gas in that thing they not only groom the lake but all the surrounding trails as well.  It would be nice if we could get a little more snow, the off lake trails are pretty nasty right now.  What's really cool is if you pitch the groomer a few bucks they will groom a path to your ice shack so you can drag it out in the spring.

How much snow is there AKHD?
We have next to nothing in Yellowknife.
My lake has 2"-3" and there may be 4"-5" in the bush.
Not enough to run the trail from the lak up to my cabin without bouncing off rocks the whole way.
  :'(
I'm going to have to start moving snow off the lake to my trail so I can haul in more building supplies for this years work.   ::)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:07 AM »
I would guess between 6-8 inches in most places.  I think the groomer needs at least 12 to groom the off lake trails.  No where near enough snow to create overflow and keep the trucks off the lake. 

Offline akms82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:53 AM »
Hello all, Sorry to jump back aways. Im heading up next week to drill some holes and still have a Caribou permit. Has anyone
been seeing much Bou activity on the lakes? thanks

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:04 AM »
I was up last weekend and saw one set of tracks way out on Susitna.  Looked to be three animals in the group. There might be a couple still hanging around but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

Offline AlaskaLakesGuideService

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:26 PM »
Hello all, Sorry to jump back aways. Im heading up next week to drill some holes and still have a Caribou permit. Has anyone
been seeing much Bou activity on the lakes? thanks

Was there last Friday and had about 8-10 cross the road about 13 miles in.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:35 PM »
Good to see the biz is getting you all talking.  By all means if you have questions about my biz or practices please address them to me.  Don't take Wes' word for it, right Wes? 

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:37 PM »
So I checked out that guys web page and his prices are absolutely ridiculous.  For a day of fishing on Louise a guy could book two days of saltwater fishing with a charter boat.  I don't think we have to worry about this guy to much I met him last year at the big lake tournament and he's a truck fisherman so wants he puts his rig in the drink with clients in it his business will be over.  If he was smart he would hire a couple of us locals to take guys out at least we know how to release fish for another day.

Do you have questions?

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:40 PM »
Bout to get good

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:52 PM »
No, it won't get good. Not on here anyways. Hopefully, these men are able to discuss issues they have with me.  I have a strict catch and release policy on Lake Louise, that one guy speaks of what he does not know.  I have snowmachines and do not drive on the lake.  My contact info is public and I welcome phone calls.  I am not the bat **** crazy person here.  Good fishing to you.
J

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:06 PM »
Thanks questions answered.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:10 PM »
Please introduce yourself at the Big Lake tourney this year.  I would introduce myself but I have no idea who you are or what you look like.  I think you will find a different perception once you get to know me.
J

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:19 PM »
I was in it last year unfortunately I won't be able to defend the title seeing how I got one of those job things and have to work  Saturday's.  I think my partner mike might do it I think he was able to find a replacement for me. 

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:19 AM »
Currently at the Lake in my Arctic Oven. -26F out.

Fishing was slow today, 3 good hits, many marked, but couldn't connect. Making this trip a challenge is that I forgot my tackle bag in my garage, so we currently have 1 jig and one jighead lol. Gonna see if I can find someone on the lake tomorrow and trade beer for a few lures.

Last trip I lost my auger bit, this trip forgot the tackle bag. I'm on a roll! Hahaha.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:30 AM »
Man dude you've been hitting the cold weather and bad gear luck on the head.  Good luck and catch some fish. 

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Jan 07, 2017, 01:02 AM »
Yeah, no kidding. The forecast when we left Anchorage was a low of -10 on Saturday. By the time we got to the lake, it said -29 as a low on Saturday. That's the honest truth lol. Not sure I would've come out again if I knew it was gonna be -30...

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #112 on: Jan 07, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Swing by I'm across the lake from you.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #113 on: Jan 07, 2017, 12:57 PM »
How bad is the wind up there right now is it drifting up, the lodge web cam says it's the wind chill is -37. 

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #114 on: Jan 07, 2017, 02:33 PM »
It was windy thursday, but not bad now...cold though so a little wind gurst.  Can't feel it in the shack though.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Jan 07, 2017, 07:56 PM »
Currently at the Lake in my Arctic Oven. -26F out.

Fishing was slow today, 3 good hits, many marked, but couldn't connect. Making this trip a challenge is that I forgot my tackle bag in my garage, so we currently have 1 jig and one jighead lol. Gonna see if I can find someone on the lake tomorrow and trade beer for a few lures.

Last trip I lost my auger bit, this trip forgot the tackle bag. I'm on a roll! Hahaha.

I have heard from someone who I feel is a very reliable source (He owns a fishing tackle shop and he has always given me solid advice) that when there is a high pressure system (blue skies and bitter cold weather), the laker fishing is generally slow.  Is this an observation that you have found to be true?  It seems like it to me but I confess I am new when it comes to ice fishing for lakers.  I've caught a lot of them in the summer trolling or fly fishing, but I haven't had the best luck in the winter.  Do you think this might be why fishing was slow for you or something else (lack of tackle?)

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Jan 08, 2017, 04:17 PM »
I think lack of whitefish for bait is my problem. We mark them pretty consistently in most areas, but getting them to bite is a whole different story. Two of the best days I've had laker fishing were when it was clear out. I can't find any consistency out here while laker fishing, honestly.

Also, big shout out to Jiggen for being awesome enough to let me borrow a bag of tackle! Also, seeing pics of his ice house is one thing, but being inside really shows you just how nice and comfortable it is!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Jan 08, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Were you able to recover your auger screw or have you not even tried yet.  I was in cabelas bargain cave yesterday and they had a ten inch Eskimo bit for about 130 bucks. 

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:23 AM »
I found my old spot, but it was too cold for me to mess around trying for the auger. I left a stacks of sticks and branches there to come back for. I know I am within 10 or so feet of the hole. At -25 I just wanna sit in my flip up with the heater on and fish haha.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:29 PM »
Anyone going up this weekend?  I'm heading up thurs after work for a three day weekend going to try and beat this upcoming cold snap.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.