Author Topic: Margo & pelican lake  (Read 1449 times)

Offline coltcurtis

• IceShanty Rookie
  • pike hunter
Margo & pelican lake
« on: Mar 26, 2016, 12:44 AM »
9am start to margo lake..lots of snow and thick ass strong ice..tip up morning ,big herrings ...few grabs and lost a nice one at hole.super warm bunny hug morning.drove wife to foam lake and they got a real good dumping of snow..back to margo house for lunch.....then hit up pelican lake from 2 till 7a...met up with some family and there friends for tip ups and a few beers......great evening....we heard of of a guy and his lady catching a 20 lb pike....then a hour later we saw it...it was huge.....my Rant now  !!!!!  Just by chance whoever caught it happens to be on this site and see this...your catch   whatever it's your call to do whatever...I would of thrown her back    she was a big girthy female who would of made some big babies for us down the road....or had eggs now. .....either way      was a awesome fish....had good day  !! Few more days left     be safe all  !!!!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Re: Margo & pelican lake
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2016, 12:49 PM »
Thanks for the report for the 2 lakes coltcurtis. :)

Did you actually see the big pike in person or by a photo?
Cool, either way. @)

Can you still drive around on the ice at Margo Lake and Pelican Lake, or with all the snow that area got, is it walk on only? :unsure:

WW

Offline coltcurtis

• IceShanty Rookie
  • pike hunter
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2016, 06:52 PM »
Hey ww....I drove on pelican and there was about 7 trucks and one car on the ice on sat....I drove on to margo as well.....margo is really solid....I was there last night till 830 doing my last jig of my hard season......as for the big 20 pounder pike...I was fishing near the point on pelican and couple of guys on skidoo's were going around around chatting with everyone    they mentioned a guy just caught a big one.....after a while I moved over to where most of other guys were hanging around....just straight out from launch   less then 100 meters...wife's uncle and son and his buddy showed up..I mentioned to him about one of these guys here caught big one...they were the next truck over and they were packing up to leave and dropped there tailgate and there she was....it was huge....Sheldon went over to yap with them and asked if he could get a picture holding it   they didn't seem to mind and even took the picture lol...guy and wife   from invermay   

Offline coltcurtis

• IceShanty Rookie
  • pike hunter
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Actually what was really funny.......they said they were using a herrin on tip up     so everyone around changed up to the same.....and after they drove off    2 in our group and 2 other guys on other side of them headed to there holed like a bunch of school kids in recess...was pretty funny to see...a few weeks ago a guy our family knows from outside of rama    his name is Marcel. ...him and uncle were at pelican and just to right of launch (  but water culverted from stoney is really closer know ) pulled a 12 and 15 pounder out of same holes within half hour....they think they were on either side of weeds and watching what floating in...I set up there the previous weekend but was way to close to my liking...way to many weeds for me and after drilling into weeds they actually stunk   

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2016, 02:17 PM »
Hi coltcurits,
Thats' a dandy big pike, especially for Pelican / Whitesand Lake.
Thanks for the details. :)

My uncle and I were out there on Sat. (March 26th).
It was a slow afternoon with one smaller pike caught.
We first tried a ways out on the lake in deeper water and then moved back by the boat launch. I caught the pike there.
Did not go near that open creek.

Man, that creek from Stony Lake is really going eh.
I should have brought the open water rod and tried for a bit by the culvert.
Maybe that area would have produced better action,lol. :woot:

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.