Author Topic: iced over?  (Read 1366 times)

Offline jigman12

• IceShanty Rookie
iced over?
« on: Dec 03, 2020, 06:33 AM »
As I'm sure we all are getting excited for the colder temps I had a question for the people up north. Have they or do you think ponds above the white mountains will freeze over before the snow coming this weekend?

I was trying to do some ice making calculations to see when I should be able to drive up and start checking for safe ice but I wasn't sure if this snow would slow it down if it caps over before it falls or if it already has.

I'm anxious :tipup:

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: iced over?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2020, 06:50 AM »
 ::)  You just joined expecting us to tell you when and where to find ice in NH?
IS ethics generally ask rookies to provide several helpful posts before they start begging for this kind of local knowledge?
Where is Frank when I need him.  M+M has colder weather than I do!

Offline jigman12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2020, 07:02 AM »
seriously?

I asked if the ponds will be iced over before the snow falls this weekend because that would affect the ice making calculations that I did myself to determine when I can DRIVE up and check myself. How is that asking where the safe ice is.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2020, 07:54 AM »
I'm in the white mountains and we've been getting skim ice that doesn't last very long..... So the snow shouldn't effect it hopefully.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2020, 08:06 AM »
::)  You just joined expecting us to tell you when and where to find ice in NH?
IS ethics generally ask rookies to provide several helpful posts before they start begging for this kind of local knowledge?
Where is Frank when I need him.  M+M has colder weather than I do!
My guess would be AA is in a tree stand somewhere.

The snow should not hurt at this point, it may actually help by insulating the land enough to keep the day time temps a little colder AND keeping the wind that comes from day time heating from ripping up the base.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline jigman12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2020, 08:26 AM »
thanks for the replies! mostly curious there was enough ice on the water to collect the snow. Hoping to head up and be able to check ice in a couple weeks

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2020, 08:44 AM »
 Sorry jigman .  Getting old an grumpy.  We only have a
60 percent chance of sleet and snow.  I can't imagine any amount that will slow ice formation.  Keep up your ice formation calculations.  I can't imagine safe ice until Christmas but in past years I've watched skinny young  fellows fishing on 2"  of glass ice.
I usually try to send photo of first good 2"+ ice. 
Are you looking for trout just fish?
Dick

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2020, 09:09 AM »
"Safe Ice" varies from person to person. Some of those "skinny" guys will head out on 2" and call that safe enough for them. Not me! Consistent 3", I will venture out on, but not too far. 4" and i feel more confident. 5" and i'm good to go. Again, everyone is different

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2020, 09:19 AM »
"Safe Ice" varies from person to person. Some of those "skinny" guys will head out on 2" and call that safe enough for them. Not me! Consistent 3", I will venture out on, but not too far. 4" and i feel more confident. 5" and i'm good to go. Again, everyone is different
^
THIS.. and for sure, as I've aged my definition of"safe" ice has changed..for the thicker.

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2020, 09:26 AM »
I know I'm not in NH but i live about a mile away from the Canadian border and we don't have any ice up here yet. Praying for some soon though.

Offline jigman12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2020, 10:26 AM »
Sorry jigman .  Getting old an grumpy.  We only have a
60 percent chance of sleet and snow.  I can't imagine any amount that will slow ice formation.  Keep up your ice formation calculations.  I can't imagine safe ice until Christmas but in past years I've watched skinny young  fellows fishing on 2"  of glass ice.
I usually try to send photo of first good 2"+ ice. 
Are you looking for trout just fish?
Dick

No problem Dick, I'm a big supporter of doing the leg work to find about spots and ice conditions, and when I do I only divulge the information to close fishing partners and family. I understand how IS and FB can negatively affect the fishing community.

I had an idea someone might misconstrue my thread that I was asking for safe ice. Perhaps I should have known better to title it "iced over?" and put "snow affecting ice growth" or something along those lines.

As far as fish. I'm down to catch anything. In the winter I mostly target trout and panfish. This season I got a few new toys that I really just want to get out and play with as soon as I can.

Offline jigman12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2020, 10:37 AM »
^
THIS.. and for sure, as I've aged my definition of"safe" ice has changed..for the thicker.

I've always determined safe ice by my spud and how confident I feel on it. If I start second guessing it, then that's usually when I turn back. Typically 3 inches of good ice is enough for me to feel confident.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2020, 10:40 AM »
I've always determined safe ice by my spud and how confident I feel on it. If I start second guessing it, then that's usually when I turn back. Typically 3 inches of good ice is enough for me to feel confident.

I think that it might be that you apparently don't travel with Fat Bob. Then you might need a bit more.  ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline jigman12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2020, 10:57 AM »
I think that it might be that you apparently don't travel with Fat Bob. Then you might need a bit more.  ;D

This is one of the many reasons why everyone should always do the work and check themselves. A 150 pound guy could say ice is safe but I think it would be a good idea for 300 pound fat bob ( or however fat he is ) to check for himself before he goes swimming ;D

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2020, 11:05 AM »
jigman ,  I hope to help you find early Mountain fish.  Keep in touch.  I'm too old to protect secret spots from young guys.
Might even let you drag my sled .
Dick

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2020, 07:53 PM »
Skim has been coming and going where I am (central), and on leaving work today everything I drove past was open. I'm probably wrong, but in my way of thinking, the snow will help cool the water down even more.

On another note, I'm gone 10 hours a day during the week, and have homeowner stuff to get done when I can. I don't have time (or money!) to drive all over the state to see what's going on, so I don't expect it of others. Yes, we have some armchair fishermen who want their hands held, but many of us are just trying to get a feel for when it's going to be worth the gas money to travel.

Yes, Dick, you are definitely a grumpy old man lol. My best friend is also one, so when I see you post grumpy things, I hear it in his voice.  :woot:
I'm becoming a grumpy old lady myself, so what I do is give grumpy old men a lot of guff.  ;D

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline mofishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2020, 06:25 PM »
This was a really good question but wasn’t really answered. Were ponds in the white mountains area already skimmed over enough that will support this snow and hinder ice growth or is there no skim ice today? I’ve had a specific pond in mind a little bit above the notch and very curious to know if that area had skim ice on ponds today. Someone in the notch area let us know if there was skim ice on ponds today paaalease! Well do the rest of the work 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.