Author Topic: Gear talk  (Read 15984 times)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gear talk
« Reply #30 on: Nov 30, 2020, 09:39 AM »
I usually do ok picking them up the night before and just keeping them nice and cold... I'd rather have them at the ready in my utility room but when i started filling the tank (a blue plastic 55 gallon drum with the top cut off)  a few weeks ago and realized that I some how cracked the bottom of it over the summer. Not really enough time to start over now so store bought it is this year...
[/quote
makes total sense, but because I live out of state, I need to buy my bait in new Hampshire,I get mine at Wildlife outfitters in Manchester( an hour ride for me), ahead of time and replenish it on my way home after each trip if need be....

I hate it when summer Gremlins break my stuff!... I'll look around the shop here, there were a few of those blue 55 gal. drums hanging around, we get various chemical's for waste treatment in them, the trick is to find one someone hasn't punched a hole in!

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Nov 30, 2020, 10:20 AM »
I hate it when summer Gremlins break my stuff!... I'll look around the shop here, there were a few of those blue 55 gal. drums hanging around, we get various chemical's for waste treatment in them, the trick is to find one someone hasn't punched a hole in!

Good to know they don't just live at my house!
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 30, 2020, 11:02 AM »
I usually do ok picking them up the night before and just keeping them nice and cold... I'd rather have them at the ready in my utility room but when i started filling the tank (a blue plastic 55 gallon drum with the top cut off)  a few weeks ago and realized that I some how cracked the bottom of it over the summer. Not really enough time to start over now so store bought it is this year...
[/quote
makes total sense, but because I live out of state, I need to buy my bait in new Hampshire,I get mine at Wildlife outfitters in Manchester( an hour ride for me), ahead of time and replenish it on my way home after each trip if need be....

Friggin gremlins!!  I just tossed out 2 of those drums a month ago, didnt expect to need another. But I've got another here at the shop that's only got about 10 gallons of windshield wash in it, it'll be empty in a week or 2 and easy to clean up with it just having methanol in it.

Forgot about you having to stock your bait from nh... pretty sad that we can vote for president without an i.d. but your bait has to have i.d. to cross the border... something went wrong somewhere with that lol.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 30, 2020, 01:53 PM »

Interesting you mention this.  I too thought it was illegal to transport bait from MA to NH, but Merrimac's website says they're "certified" for sales to NH.  Not sure how old that page is (developer link says 2020) or if there's even a legal certification for such.  See down the bottom of the page:  http://merrimacsport.homestead.com/freshwater.html

Would be way easier for me to get bait there than at Wildlife or Dover Marine, even.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2020, 07:08 PM »
Interesting you mention this.  I too thought it was illegal to transport bait from MA to NH, but Merrimac's website says they're "certified" for sales to NH.  Not sure how old that page is (developer link says 2020) or if there's even a legal certification for such.  See down the bottom of the page:  http://merrimacsport.homestead.com/freshwater.html

Would be way easier for me to get bait there than at Wildlife or Dover Marine, even.
I've known the Nuke a long time, when I fished Mass waters I got bait from him to supplement my wild caught bait , years ago he kept a shack off Allocoya, he had bait in a keeper under his shack, honor system.but,where I live, because I'm real close to Rt.93, Manchester is about the same amount of time, if I go to Merrimack Mass. I have to go 93 to 495, grt off in Merrimack port and jump on 110..Manchester is faster, and with my bait card, I get a dozen free for every dozen I buy, I get and keep a receipt with my bait card.. its easy and follows the letter of the law... no questions.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 30, 2020, 08:07 PM »

Steve H thank you for the information that Merrimack Bait is legal in NH. With suds & soda closed I was running out of convenient bait shops on the seacoast.
John

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 30, 2020, 09:27 PM »
I made some upgrades for this season gear wise. I got an 8in nils to replace my 6. My kids are plenty big now, that I won't worry about losing one down a hole. I bought an eskimo outbreak which I've set up and hung out in in the yard a few times because what else is there to do without ice....... I retired my ice armor bibs and got a set of Eskimo legends which came in yesterday and feel pretty nice. Comfy plenty of pockets and feels durable. I also ordered a new laker rod from wicked custom rods over the summer. Now I'm stocking up on bucktails and waiting for ice.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 01, 2020, 05:49 AM »
I made some upgrades for this season gear wise. I got an 8in nils to replace my 6. My kids are plenty big now, that I won't worry about losing one down a hole. I bought an eskimo outbreak which I've set up and hung out in in the yard a few times because what else is there to do without ice....... I retired my ice armor bibs and got a set of Eskimo legends which came in yesterday and feel pretty nice. Comfy plenty of pockets and feels durable. I also ordered a new laker rod from wicked custom rods over the summer. Now I'm stocking up on bucktails and waiting for ice.

Awesome.sounds like you are ready..now if we can just have ice please.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:12 AM »
Awesome.sounds like you are ready..now if we can just have ice please.
For real. 57 here in Conway today. I talked to my dad in Florida and he sai it was 47 there. By the end of next week though we'll have 2 consecutive days of below freezing. Hopefully that's a trend none of this up and down junk
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:25 AM »
  Steve H thank you for the information that Merrimack Bait is legal in NH. With suds & soda closed I was running out of convenient bait shops on the seacoast.

To be clear, I'm not certain that Merrimac's bait is legal in NH.  I'll do some research and/or reach out to NHF&G this week to confirm the law. 

Like you, OldCaveman, it would be very convenient for me to get bait at Merrimac.  The closing of Suds 'n Soda is a tremendous loss for seacoast NH sportsmen.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:01 AM »
For real. 57 here in Conway today. I talked to my dad in Florida and he sai it was 47 there. By the end of next week though we'll have 2 consecutive days of below freezing. Hopefully that's a trend none of this up and down junk

over 60 here .. crazy for 12/1, .. they say cold is coming ..lets hope..

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:14 AM »
Put the wrap"littally " on the bait tank,3 layer total,  thing  was sweating like crazy with the humidity, chler was cycling evry 5 minutes to keep. Below 43,after the wrap, dropped to 41 shut off for close to an hour, I layered  insulation inside the cover as well

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:17 AM »
To be clear, I'm not certain that Merrimac's bait is legal in NH.  I'll do some research and/or reach out to NHF&G this week to confirm the law. 

Like you, OldCaveman, it would be very convenient for me to get bait at Merrimac.  The closing of Suds 'n Soda is a tremendous loss for seacoast NH sportsmen.
Thanks for checking on this THIS is what this thread is all about.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:38 AM »

Looks like there is a certification process which requires out-of-state bait dealers to meet specific "testing criteria."  Found this on the F&G website.  I have to assume this is what Merrimac Sports is referring to.

Live fish imported for use as freshwater fishing bait may only be imported from states with an aquatic invasive species monitoring program approved in advance of the importation by the executive director, and meeting the testing criteria contained in Fis 803.09 and Fis 803.10.

https://casetext.com/regulation/new-hampshire-administrative-code/title-fis-executive-director-fish-and-game-department/chapter-fis-800-the-importation-possession-and-use-of-all-wildlife/part-fis-803-importation-of-wildlife/section-fis-80310-pathological-inspection-report-for-fish

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 01, 2020, 11:18 AM »
Try not to get confused by the regs.
FWIW, legally, your average angler still is not allowed to bring in bait from out of state, regardless of the source.     Jus sayin...

"Importation of Finfish for Bait (Fis 502.07)
Licensed bait dealers shall obtain a permit from the NH Fish and Game Department (Fis 1104.07) before importing any shipment or lot of baitfish from hatchery sources or wild stock. Such permits shall be issued to import only:"

"Importing and Releasing Wildlife (RSA 207:14)
No person shall import, possess, sell, exhibit, or release any live marine species or wildlife, or the eggs or progeny thereof, without first obtaining a permit from the NH Fish and Game Department's Executive Director."

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 01, 2020, 11:38 AM »
Try not to get confused by the regs.
FWIW, legally, your average angler still is not allowed to bring in bait from out of state, regardless of the source.     Jus sayin...

"Importation of Finfish for Bait (Fis 502.07)
Licensed bait dealers shall obtain a permit from the NH Fish and Game Department (Fis 1104.07) before importing any shipment or lot of baitfish from hatchery sources or wild stock. Such permits shall be issued to import only:"

"Importing and Releasing Wildlife (RSA 207:14)
No person shall import, possess, sell, exhibit, or release any live marine species or wildlife, or the eggs or progeny thereof, without first obtaining a permit from the NH Fish and Game Department's Executive Director."

Seems this topic comes up a few times each year CD. Seems you have the best handle on it, at least as far as I'm concerned
.How you feeling these days.. hopefully we can get you out on the hard water this season.. and I still owe you a striper trip!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 01, 2020, 12:14 PM »
Just emailed the seacoast (Durham) office of NH Fish & Game.  I'll let you all know how they reply.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 01, 2020, 01:09 PM »
Here's the reply:

At this time, it would be illegal to purchase baitfish from another state and import them without having an importation permit.  It might be better to see if the company in Merrimac could purchase the import permit and buy a retail baitfish license so it is legal.  Right now, however, what you are suggesting is illegal.  Thank you for checking.  We try to keep out as many diseases as we can.  Have a good day.

Still a bit confused about the part I bolded.  Might have to take Joe's route and stick to Wildlife.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 01, 2020, 02:45 PM »
see if the company in Merrimac could purchase the import permit and buy a retail baitfish license so it is legal.
I don't understand this either. Don't know how your question was specifically asked? We can assume that Merrimac Bait & Tackle has both, the import permit and bait dealer's license for MA. They can sell to anyone from anywhere out of their shop in MA. After that, it's the buyer's responsibility about importing to NH. 
Not sure why MB&T would mention certified in NH? The person bringing it into NH needs the import permit.

Seems this topic comes up a few times each year CD. Seems you have the best handle on it, at least as far as I'm concerned
.How you feeling these days.. hopefully we can get you out on the hard water this season.. and I still owe you a striper trip!
Thanks, Joe. I'll message you this evening.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:14 PM »
  I will try to go by Merrimack Bait and bring this discussion to there attention. If I remember correctly Donnie is the owners name., I will try to speak to him. I will report what he has to say.
John

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 02, 2020, 06:14 PM »
Nice, a actually put in my order forc1000 European night crawlers today.

Where are you ordering them from Joe? I'm not specifically looking for those crawlers but my usual place (Knutson's) that I order my mousies and butter worms from are out of mousies for the season and butter worms are like double price this year... Looking to more options...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 02, 2020, 07:18 PM »
Where are you ordering them from Joe? I'm not specifically looking for those crawlers but my usual place (Knutson's) that I order my mousies and butter worms from are out of mousies for the season and butter worms are like double price this year... Looking to more options...
I get them from speedy worm,they gavevwaxies and spikes as well..

Got the delivery today,first I dumped in a bag Frabil worm bedding and moistened ir,then  I mixed in a bucket of leaf litter, then added a bag of worm bedding from the supplier, mixed it in and added the worms.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 03, 2020, 07:15 AM »
Thanks, I'll check them out. Worm house looks great!

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 05, 2020, 03:41 PM »
Hey Roc, I’ve seen you post several very cool bait posts and have a question for you. You seem to stage/raise your bait from the worms to the fish live well I’ve seen . Do you do this just for your preference or is it hard to access live bait when the season gets going and that why you have these set ups? Still learning the NH way and haven’t yet assessed how it all works out here just yet
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 05, 2020, 04:37 PM »

Just getting back in to ice fishing.

I’m working on a box that can stay in the car and be ready to go at anytime.

I need to figure out a good way to cut skis down to size.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 05, 2020, 05:42 PM »
I need to figure out a good way to cut skis down to size.
That's a pretty good question.
I'd be inclined to tape over where the cut will be with electrical tape and then make the cut with a metal cutting band saw or hacksaw. I believe you will have to tape the ends or seal them somehow. Fiberglass splinters are no fun.
Looking forward to hearing some more answers... 

Online Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 06, 2020, 06:25 AM »
That's a pretty good question.
I'd be inclined to tape over where the cut will be with electrical tape and then make the cut with a metal cutting band saw or hacksaw. I believe you will have to tape the ends or seal them somehow. Fiberglass splinters are no fun.
Looking forward to hearing some more answers... 
. Was wondering about cutting torch may not be pretty but would probably fuse wax plastic and fiberglass back together

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 06, 2020, 07:17 AM »
I’m thinking it might be best to hunt up some 29-30 inch kid skis.
(75 cm)

Twin tips so the box can go either direction

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 06, 2020, 07:59 AM »
I made a smitty sled years ago (used it twice and tossed it in the dumpster but thats a different story)... I cut the skis on a band saw then sealed the cut with epoxy. A hacksaw, jigsaw, sawzall all will work, you want the finest pitch metal blade to minimize splintering.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 06, 2020, 08:21 AM »
Hey Roc, I’ve seen you post several very cool bait posts and have a question for you. You seem to stage/raise your bait from the worms to the fish live well I’ve seen . Do you do this just for your preference or is it hard to access live bait when the season gets going and that why you have these set ups? Still learning the NH way and haven’t yet assessed how it all works out here just yet
It's all about convenience for me, Ilive in massachusetts,my typical ice fishing day starts at 3 AM, it takes me an hour and 45 minutes to get to the lake I fish,most bait stores font open into 6, most are out of the way from where I fish, most have lines for bait when the door opens, I like to set up in the dark and be fishing when the first streaks of false dawn hit the horizon, if I'm standing in line at a bait store, I may not get the first hole cut until 8 or 9:00..by the time I finish setting up, I may have missed the best part of the day,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.