Author Topic: ice fishing goals  (Read 5723 times)

Offline jigman12

• IceShanty Rookie
ice fishing goals
« on: Nov 23, 2020, 04:47 PM »
Hey everyone, lurked for a while , as I'm waiting for the ice to come a thought popped in my head so I figured I would post.

What are your ice fishing goals for 2020/2021?

last year I started getting more experience fishing the big lake with a buddy of mine. I spent most of last season targeting lakers and white perch. He is really into egging for rainbows and taught me some tricks. After seeing him pull a few nice ones last year my goal this season is to get a good one on the jawjacker!

what are some of your goals this season?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: ice fishing goals
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2020, 04:59 PM »
Gonna experiment a little more with tightlining pannies.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2020, 05:00 PM »
Welcome Jigman to the forum.  My goal is pretty simple.  I want to fish more than I did last year.  Considering I spent every weekend on the hardwater last year, it won't be easy.  I look forward to the challenge though.  Hopefully I can socially distance in the wheelhouse. 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2020, 05:17 PM »
Welcome as well Jigman! My goals for the year are to meet great people, get out on the ice frequently and make it a memorable season... and probably nerd out with my new little sled mod setup that I don't shut up about.
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2020, 05:38 PM »
Welcome Jigman...
I'm a simple guy, I just wanna stay dry and enjoy myself. Plus if you set your goals low like that they are easily attained lol...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2020, 05:59 PM »
Hey Jigman...welcome!
I plan to fish like I’ve never fished before. That being trying new lures and tactics that will get me out of my comfort zone. Nothing is “normal” this year, so I’m certain my fishing shouldn’t be normal either! Lol
Good Fishing to all! Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2020, 06:03 PM »
I'm moving to Vermont next month and would like to catch a nice Champlain Laker through the ice.  Also a Pike, some perch and a Burbot or two...but the Laker is my biggest goal.
I'm just here for the ice fishing groupies..

Offline blackshirt7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2020, 06:17 PM »
Nothing too specific, but want to get a couple of overnight trips in. Nothing like listening to the ice cracking while your falling asleep.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2020, 08:15 PM »
Welcome Jigman...
I'm a simple guy, I just wanna stay dry and enjoy myself. Plus if you set your goals low like that they are easily attained lol...

My goal is to poke my first hole with my new auger. I'm already patting myself on the back lol
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2020, 08:32 PM »
My goal is to poke my first hole with my new auger. I'm already patting myself on the back lol

Haha, it's all gravy after that 1st hole... Gonna be a good season
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2020, 09:15 PM »
Welcome jigman

My plan is to target wp and crappie as often as possible on smaller lakes on weekends

I will probably spend weekdays on either Sunapee or Newfound jigging lakers deep

I am retired so i have the luxury of fishing when i want
John

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2020, 06:57 AM »
Welcome Jigman..

Rainbow fishing  can. Be infectious.
In a good way.shallow water rain bows are fun.

As for goals, I've been doing this a long, long time,my goals now are more simple, stay upright and above ground, stay dry and always return home to my lovely wife..Sharing a few laughs with  friends is what I like, passing knowledge on to those less fortunate is key, and if some how I find a fish or two, the season will be a total sucess.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2020, 07:46 AM »
Welcome Jigman...

X2
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2020, 03:55 PM »
Welcome jigman, my goals are to get new batteries for my Jawjacker :o) Actually I got a wheeler last summer and hope to go remote a bit this winter. need to make my sledge hitch and give it a whorl... got chains, would love tracks! Have a great season.. Last year we drilled into 6" of gray ice on Nov 29...Didnt even have a jigstick with us.... Doesnt look good for a new earlier date!

Hey everyone, lurked for a while , as I'm waiting for the ice to come a thought popped in my head so I figured I would post.

What are your ice fishing goals for 2020/2021?

last year I started getting more experience fishing the big lake with a buddy of mine. I spent most of last season targeting lakers and white perch. He is really into egging for rainbows and taught me some tricks. After seeing him pull a few nice ones last year my goal this season is to get a good one on the jawjacker!

what are some of your goals this season?

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2020, 05:22 PM »
My goal is to to get out more. The last two seasons I have been on the road for work, hoping this season the schedule works out more favorable.  Would also like to get to the big lakes more and learn them better. 

Hope to see some of you out there this year...  have a great season.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2020, 02:01 PM »
My goal is similar. Get out more. And especially spend more overnights on the ice. I think I only spent 7 or maybe 8 nights in my portable sleeper setup last season. And I wanna catch more cusk, I don't put enough effort towards that means and it makes fishing 2 trap lakes so much more fun.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2020, 02:11 PM »
Jigman, welcome. As always, the more new/inexperienced people I can get out with the better. And especially make their day as enjoyable as possible. I have 5 youths this year that are interested in trying. There's nothing more fun than following kids around and untangling their as they are running for the next flag! I figure it's better to have them on our side.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2020, 02:35 PM »
More and bigger Walleye, I have finally started to figure them out last season and hope to do even better this season.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2020, 07:48 PM »
   Welcome jigman,  my goal this season is to get my grandsons out more this season. Our local ice was sketchy last season and we didn't get out as often as I would have liked. Hopefully the ice cooperates this season.

John

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2020, 08:54 PM »
My goal is to just get out in the ice... Last years ice sucked... Hoping to get a few miles iut on sag bay this year
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2020, 08:46 AM »
same here get out more with winter sports on hold i'll b able to hit more hardwater with the kids. plus found out i have a bunch of ways onto the big lakes and some private lakes around because of some great friends. Be able to exsplore alot more... COME ON COLD WEATHER!!!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2020, 09:10 AM »
I've had the same goal for a while now, in any water. I'm still daydreaming of a 10+ lb new hampshire laker. I'd also like to really dial in on some burbot this year. It's been an while since I've hammered after them hard. They're the wife's favorite to eat and I didn't target them once last year... i'll try not to disappoint again this year ;)
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2020, 09:49 AM »
I just want to get out more, especially after work.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2020, 10:09 AM »
Goals for 20/21 Ice Season.
1. fish a lake I haven't before on ice.
2. catch a species I haven't before
3. explore further with snowdog than I used to walk
4. maybe introduce a couple friends to the sport
5. have fun and be safe
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2020, 01:49 PM »
As I was fishing this day last year, my new goal for this year is some icemaking temps!!!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2020, 03:46 PM »
As I was fishing this day last year, my new goal for this year is some icemaking temps!!!

You need to work a little harder on the temps, Merk! Listening to the pouring rain on my skylights is giving me a fit!  :wacko:
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2020, 09:19 PM »
I guess my goal this season is to figure out how to trigger picky fish....and to land another double digit laker but on one of my bucktails that I tied.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline jigman12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:13 AM »
Nice to see everyone's replies. I did have one more goal of getting on the ice earlier than last year (Dec 21st) but its starting to look less and less likely unfortunately :'(

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2020, 09:39 AM »
I think I'll modify my reply.. in honor of Jigman.. I'm going to jig  just a little more, not my favorite way to fish but it can ( and is) be very effective, when I was younger ( much younger) I jigged a lot more... maybe it's time to go back full circle.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2020, 09:51 AM »
This will be my first season using a Vex and in-line jigging setup.  I picked up some small tungsten jigs and trailers to try for perch and other panfish.  Hopefully some trout too.  Still plan on chasing flags and jigging for lakers when I have the opportunity.

So for goals, I guess I'd say that learning how to use the Vex effectively and landing a nice haul of whiteys would be great.  And of course, to stay safe and enjoy being outside.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.