Author Topic: Fish In Peace JRA  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fish In Peace JRA
« on: Nov 17, 2020, 06:46 AM »
We lost a good one.  JRA passed away on November 8th after a second battle with cancer.  Not long after this picture was taken he told me that he hadn't been feeling right and went in to see the doctors and they told him that his cancer had come back after what I believe was about 15 yrs.  He fought it hard for the last year and a half and tried not to let it get in the way.  A year ago he was able to sit on a field edge during opening day of rifle season and shoot a buck and this year he was still fishing in his boat at the end of September.  He would usually touch base with Hawkeye and I the evening before each new season and wish us luck.  I sent him a text on the 10th before rifle season to wish him luck and see if he was going to make it out this year.  I did not hear back from him.  Lately with his condition it might be a few days or a week before I would hear back from him depending on what he had been going through.  I hadn't heard back from him and I was getting a little worried and then this morning I got a message from his wife that he had passed.  She had just found his phone and had seen my text.  He will be missed.

The picture should have been with a laker that he jigged up as that was his passion however this is what I had.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/delawareonline/obituary.aspx?n=john-r-anderson&pid=197088967&fhid=40352

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fish In Peace JRA
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2020, 07:12 AM »
Sorry to hear, my condolences to family and friends.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:07 AM »
Terrible news. Always sad to see a life cut too short.  My condolences to JRA's wife, children and extended family.  R.I.P
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:53 AM »
JRA was and is quite the guy with lots of stories. He loved his duck hunting and the trips to his brothers in Maryland. Met him the first time at the farmer's market in Newport. He was selling his vegetables and we hit it off with me being a vegetable farmer in my earlier years. He stopped doing it a few years back because of health issues. He was the first person on the site that I fished with. Boy did he love laker fishing and looking at his electronics. He would laker fish and I would chase bows... I will see you again my friend and I will bring you a set of recharged batteries for your fishfinder. I think I know where you will be.

Your bud,
M&M

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:34 AM »
Rip my condolences to family and friends sad to hear of anyone on this forum passing great guys!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:21 AM »
Sorry to hear this..
My condolences to those that knew and fished with him.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2020, 11:28 AM »
Been a tough year.

Met JRA through this site. He'd travel 2 hours to get to Newfound, sometimes longer depending on the weather. True ice fisherman looking for lakers.
Had some great conversations and always admired JRA for the person he is / was. Great guy to say the least. I count my blessings that I was fortunate enough to have met him and those that were close to him. It'll be a different ice fishing season on Newfound this year but your memory will live on.

Rest in peace JRA! Say hi to Laker Taker and Fishfinda for us. Your in great company.

Till we meet again, your friend.

Jiggin.

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2020, 11:33 AM »
I got the text from his wife that eve, even though it was expected, it still hurt tremendously. I met him 15 years ago when we did Keene farmers market together. It didn't take long before we realized each other's interests in the out doors. I spent many hours with him in my duck blind, and me on his boat. My favorite memory was the first time I took him to salmon river and he was shaking too badly to tie his own knots due to excitement. He introduced me to Lakers and the vexilar, I haven't been right ever since!!! Jason, he spoke of you and Hawkeye often, with the highest regards. Denny, you as well. I had planned on dragging a deer out for him last week, but maybe when we meet again...

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:28 PM »
Dipstick/Denny,

We will have to get together on our early ice spot and catch some fish and eat some venison in John's honor.  I am in the process of cutting up a 130 lb butterball that is "tender vittles" and melts in your mouth so we will have venison.  Hopefully we will be walking on water in early December after another deer or two hit the freezer.   

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2020, 04:11 PM »
My condolences to all who knew him. Always sad to hear, but I hope I’m lucky enough to do what I live up until the end as it sounds like he was.

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2020, 06:19 PM »
 Sorry to hear. Condolences sent to his family and friends.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2020, 07:08 PM »
   Sad news, condolences to his family and friends.
John

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:00 PM »
Nosaj, Denny,
    I'm in, anyone know how to get tommy out there too? I'll bring the mountain dew and grizzly wintergreen.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:45 PM »
Didn't know JRA, but appreciate men who work the land and love the woods n water.
Condolences to his friends and family.  :(

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:46 PM »
Sad news for sure ..rest in peace
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2020, 04:57 AM »
Didn't know JRA, but appreciate men who work the land and love the woods n water.
Condolences to his friends and family.  :(

CD you and JRA would have gotten along great. The stories told would be biblical... John was on the front lines during the Alstead Flood of 2005 going door-to-door to warn residents putting himself in danger.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2020, 06:46 AM »
Didn't know JRA but still sad news, condolences to family a d friends. R.I.P. JRA.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2020, 08:10 AM »
CD you and JRA would have gotten along great. The stories told would be biblical... John was on the front lines during the Alstead Flood of 2005 going door-to-door to warn residents putting himself in danger.
Reading his obit, I kinda thought so too, Denny.
I remember reading about that flood. JRA sounds like he was a helluva man.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2020, 09:35 AM »
Sad to hear. RIP JRA !!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2020, 10:21 AM »
My condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2020, 03:28 PM »
JRA did not post on here too often, but he loved to read it, as do I. Let's keep up this awesome site!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2020, 04:21 PM »
Condolences to his family and friends...And to you guys on here that had the privilege of knowing him
RIP JRA
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2020, 07:47 PM »
For those who don't remember how devastating that Alstead flood was, here's a link that describes it a bit.
There's at least a few sentences describing JRA's efforts.
Not mentioned in this article, but he later received an award for his heroism by the American Red Cross.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ6SSbybVfqz4A5i5XNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzQEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1605777947/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.sentinelsource.com%2fwhen-the-water-roared-alstead-residents-recall-flood-of-2005%2farticle_d3e8e6ef-291a-5397-b2f1-57439f2cb950.html/RK=2/RS=SpcXRkg.C5NMkmf3ArbYRsB4McQ-

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2020, 07:17 AM »
For those who don't remember how devastating that Alstead flood was, here's a link that describes it a bit.
There's at least a few sentences describing JRA's efforts.
Not mentioned in this article, but he later received an award for his heroism by the American Red Cross.

CD thanks for posting this.  I did not know JRA involved until I read his obituary.  It was a crazy night.  I live in the next town west and down stream of Alstead and we lost a bridge over the Cold River and there was damage to homes however no where near as bad as what happened in Alstead.  I am not sure if it was JRA, but someone banged on the door at a friends house that lived along the river and told them about the coming wall of water and they made it to high ground moments before the water came through.  I believe one of the bodies was found in their back yard.   We knew that night we were getting a lot of rain as it was coming down that night however when we got up in the morning you could not believe the damage. 

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2020, 02:52 PM »
You're welcome, Nosaj. The damage would have been hard to believe if you weren't right there, I'd expect.
Hope you and Hawkeye have a great season.

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2020, 06:14 AM »
Yes, thank you CD, I never knew that. He was never one much to brag. He was the kind of guy that when he spoke you listened

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2020, 07:13 PM »
I truly hate to come back and see this. John was a phenomenal human with great character. He and I began discussions of a DIY Elk hunt on public land in Colorado a few years back as he had done it before and had the knowledge. Sadly we never brought the dream true with different life things happening and health issues my issues really lol. Anyhow, I’ll really miss my winter talks with John. A wealth of knowledge and a heart of gold. A true gentleman and Scholar. Until next time John! I’ll miss you pal.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2020, 09:47 AM »
My condolences. I never met him, but it's always sad to lose a member of the outdoors community. RIP
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.