Author Topic: Eskimo outbreak  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Eskimo outbreak
« on: Oct 14, 2020, 07:01 PM »
Anyone have any experience with one of these? I really like the no trip door design.

Every fish is a good fish!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Eskimo outbreak
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2020, 08:56 AM »
No personal experience but they do review really well, looks like a nice hub. I'd say jump on it now, it's already looking like ice fishing gear will be slim picking this year with covid slowing manufacturing and store stocking...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2020, 09:11 AM »
I haven’t fished out of one, but checked one out at a store and it’s a really nice shack. I have the 949i, and it’s been an amazing shack. The outbreak was build better than my 949i. My shacks rods are getting weak on 2 sides after 5 years of heavy use. I’ve been wanting this shack bad...and thinking I’ll end up getting it.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2020, 09:18 AM »
Eskimo makes nice shacks. I like that design as well. The small doors of most hubs are a PITA especially when your a big guy like me and wearing creepers. Can be a delicate operation getting this big boy into the shelter.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2020, 09:20 AM »
They now come in three sizes now ..so Eskimo must of seen a niche that needed filling. I have the 949i I am happy with it . Be sure and do a review if you make a purchase.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2020, 06:25 PM »
I pulled the trigger...... $80 off for the Amazon prime day. Looking fwd to using it. I'll give a full review.  My buddy picked up a different eskimo last year and was pretty impressed with it. Warm easy to set up and pack. I really liked the anchors going into the skirt instead of a chinsy strap that could blow out.

Offline jiffy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2020, 06:34 PM »
I pulled the trigger...... $80 off for the Amazon prime day. Looking fwd to using it. I'll give a full review.  My buddy picked up a different eskimo last year and was pretty impressed with it. Warm easy to set up and pack. I really liked the anchors going into the skirt instead of a chinsy strap that could blow out.

I got one last year.  You wont be disappointed.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2020, 06:58 PM »

Good luck with your purchase . Be sure and set it up/take it down a couple times before getting on the ice ...also include getting it in/out of the bag....also letting it sit in the sun to stretch out the fabric isnt a bad idea either..learning setup/take down on the ice is no fun at all. . Posting a review for others is welcome.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2020, 08:57 PM »
got this shelter last year and it is awesome.  fished 3 grown men and 2 kids very comfy last year and had room to spare.  fished in really windy conditions and used the anchors thru the skirt and also used one out a little and attached it to the side to keep it from closing in on us.  only had to run the heater one time last year as was not too cold last winter. 

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2020, 08:58 PM »
and yes would highly recommend setting it up and taking it down before ice season like when you get it and you can do it in the yard when there is a little wind.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2020, 07:59 AM »
and yes would highly recommend setting it up and taking it down before ice season like when you get it and you can do it in the yard when there is a little wind.

Is it any different than setting up a fatfish or a clam shelter?

Offline jiffy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:25 AM »
Is it any different than setting up a fatfish or a clam shelter?

Setup is similar.  Added step of a couple poles to support the door. 

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:36 AM »
Cool, hope you enjoy it Digs. Post up a review after you get some miles on her...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:45 AM »
Setup is similar.  Added step of a couple poles to support the door.

Cool good to know. I plan on some dry runs in the yard prior to the season.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:53 AM »
Cool good to know. I plan on some dry runs in the yard prior to the season.

Letting it stretch out some is a good step ..especially the door areas ..dont force them ..may have to jostle the fabric/hub  a bit to get everything all lined up properly .

Have you thought about lights ? 

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2020, 11:22 AM »
Letting it stretch out some is a good step ..especially the door areas ..dont force them ..may have to jostle the fabric/hub  a bit to get everything all lined up properly .

Have you thought about lights ?

I have a clam light/ fan I've had for a few seasons I'll run if needed.

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2020, 09:49 PM »
Digs,
A couple of things that work for me ( i have a clam x400 8' x 8)

When there is snow, shovel an area a bit larger than shelter. After your set up, you can use the snow for banking and this helps with bouncing on windy days,

Drill a few jig hols inside shelter area as needed

Put in one anchor and attach to shelter upwind so the wind doesn't take it across the lake during set up

Hope you enjoy your new shelter
John 

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2020, 11:20 AM »
Digs,
A couple of things that work for me ( i have a clam x400 8' x 8)

When there is snow, shovel an area a bit larger than shelter. After your set up, you can use the snow for banking and this helps with bouncing on windy days,

Drill a few jig hols inside shelter area as needed

Put in one anchor and attach to shelter upwind so the wind doesn't take it across the lake during set up

Hope you enjoy your new shelter
John

Just as a recommendation, when you pack snow around your shelters flaps... if you keep a hot tent make sure to break up any ice accumulated around the flap when your packing up. If you try to just pull up the hut after a long time you may rip some of the threading attached. I did this once at a high country lake and it was a cold day... just as a caution

This was a clam thermal refuge 8x8 I had it fixed and it’s fine...
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2020, 03:02 AM »
Agreed
If i get freeze ups on the flaps, i close the vents and doors and turn the heat up. After about 10 minutes of heating, it doesn't take long to shovel around the flaps

Offline Fossilx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2020, 07:02 AM »
Anyone have any experience with one of these? I really like the no trip door design.

I got the heavily insulated one last year. I fish in my own a lot and I find it duper easy to put up and take down after you had a few dry runs. I’m not clear if the models introduced this year have less insulation and are just as warm, but lighter or lighter and less warm than the model from last year. I can fish comfortably 3 grown men with 6 holes in there with extra room to store gear. The door is amazing, but what I didn’t know was that there is also another tiny door in there opposite. Standing room is awesome for tall people. You will enjoy it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.