Author Topic: CRAPPIE LOCATION THIS TIME OF YEAR  (Read 2389 times)

Offline new-icer

• IceShanty Rookie
CRAPPIE LOCATION THIS TIME OF YEAR
« on: Mar 22, 2005, 04:01 PM »
WHAT DO THE CRAPPIES DO THIS TIME OF YEAR? DO THEY MOVE SHALLOW OR DEEP? DO THEY SUSPEND IF SO HOW FAR? WHAT BAITS WILL WORK BEST? AS YOU CAN TELL I'M KIND OF NEW TO THE WHOLE ICE FISHING THING AND I NEED SOME MAJOR HELP. THANKS. ANY INFO OR IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. KEEP IN MIND I HAVE NO ELECTRONICS.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: CRAPPIE LOCATION THIS TIME OF YEAR
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:32 PM »
They should be going pretty shallow, preferably near some kind of inflowing current. Who knows what depth they're suspending at, if you had electronics, that would help, but since that's a no, start at the bottom and move up. I would jig for them with little tiny jigs tipped with maggots, barely even moving the lure. If you know where structure like weeds or timber is, fish there. I'm no Wally Marshall, but that's the best that I know. I know there's crappie fishermen on here, and I'm not one, just thought I'd tell you what I know.

-Wes

Offline crappieman12887

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love them crappies!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2005, 07:23 PM »
WHAT DO THE CRAPPIES DO THIS TIME OF YEAR? DO THEY MOVE SHALLOW OR DEEP? DO THEY SUSPEND IF SO HOW FAR? WHAT BAITS WILL WORK BEST? AS YOU CAN TELL I'M KIND OF NEW TO THE WHOLE ICE FISHING THING AND I NEED SOME MAJOR HELP. THANKS. ANY INFO OR IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. KEEP IN MIND I HAVE NO ELECTRONICS.

from what i have seen in the past,i start working closer to the shore line and were theres a warm water flow for there staging up for the spring run,i let you in on a little secert also ,i like using my rubber jiggs this time of year also it tends to keep the blue gills and sunfish from hitting,,take your water depth an divide it in half and add a foot this is a good starting point, i hope this info helps you out,bill

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2005, 02:47 PM »
They will definately start to go shallow once the water starts to warm. Usaully early April until Mid May here in PA you can usually catch them right up against the shallow banks. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2005, 06:08 PM »
I haven't ice fished crappies much this time of year, but I would assume they will be moving out of the main basin of lakes or reservoirs and toward spawning areas. I think they will be suspended near the first drop offs into deeper water, close to shallow spawning cover such as brush. Early ice think shallow, mid ice deep, and late ice shallow or deep. But I think you might be able to contact a good group in confined open water near the first drop off near shallow spawning bays or flats. I really think a flasher is a must for crappie through the ice, and they seem to always suspend. In april I usually catch them about 3 feet under the surface with small jigs under bobbers in open water. Should have success with smallish jigs and waxies or maggies.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

polarii

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2005, 08:14 AM »
My impression of the so called hot late season bite; is exactly in line with Pasquatch. this year throughout the mid season had em' pegged. The lake we fish here in Michigan has a tributary that connects to a decent river system. Full of big predators {PIKE , MUSKY>}. So quality is good.. Getting back to mid season bite , moon phase was a factor. leading up to dark moon and slightly past. HOTTER : ::). on normal waterlevel, creek flows out of lake , but rain or thaw trees still have ice 3ft high hangin' on . This late bite is affected by O2 levels and slight temp variance warmer better. ER-go substantial 02 bust. our mid winter depth was off a point on n side in 23 ft . usually suspended @ 17' . Now I'm pulling my hair out, Not marking many lake is small so theres a big friggin school roaming. However as someone refereed to the other night fish 2 to 4 ft under ice. And most know that high the big dogs are pinning bait against ice barrier. Ive also found have pimple or jiggin spoon handy for attention getting.I use thill shy bite w/ orange gloe two spot hook the minnow towards the tail have good balance dont want fish to feel resistance. After dancing a pimple up and down from 8ft up to 2 ft lift er out and get ready. Fish up here pop it once , then the slow decent after rising. And are always quality fish . :tipup: :tipup:http://

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.