Author Topic: snowmobiles, what do you ride and why  (Read 15288 times)

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
snowmobiles, what do you ride and why
« on: Nov 11, 2012, 11:52 PM »
Well since the question on what snowmobile is a reoccuring topic here I thought we could help out those looking to buy a snowmobile. Any make, year and model just tell us the pro's and cons of your sled. Will get some pictures once photobucket will work on my computer.

Personally I'm a sucker for the old wedge chassi Polaris's, very simple machines, handle well, with a bit of money dropped into them makes them amazing machines to run. I use my sleds for ice fishing but also put 1000-3000 miles of recreational riding per season depending on snow conditions. My sled is a 98 Polaris RMK 700 with extensive motor work done, I love this sled for recreational riding because it will leave my buddy's brand new arctic cat and ski-doo 800's in the dust. But because of the high hp created from the motor mods its a bear to ride two up and even work riding two up pulling a trailer. You just bump the throttle and the ski's pick up off the ground about 6", but this is because my sled is built to be hard on the throttle riding in the mountains and not for trail riding. Pulling a sled isn't bad by yourself because I don't have to worry about the ski's coming up and dumping the passenger.
Then there's the 96 Polaris XLT 600 I got for my girlfriend. Its the second XLT I have owned and still have my first one sitting in the yard. These are great sleds, very reliable, lots of power and decent on fuel. Myself, my brother and my father all have XLT's and most repairs were self inflicted. These are one of the smoothest pulling triples on the trail, handle the deep snow very well and pull sleds with no effort.
The last is the 76 Kawasaki Intruder 440. This thing is a beast, will do 90mhp all day if you dare push it there. Its a tank as far as pulling and is a super simple straight forward machine.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: snowmobiles, what do you ride and why
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2012, 08:05 AM »
i just picked this up.

1976 Skidoo Olympic 440
For me it was the price I paid as a plus. It's in good shape for it's age & starts up first pull. Came with lots of spare parts.
Only planned use is for ice fishing. It'll sure beat walking out 1 to 2 miles dragging my gear. Also will open up fishing in some further out places.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2012, 08:16 AM »
82 skidoo nordic, bought it for the long track, light weight, simplicity and the price...turned out to be a one pull beauty and haven't looked back.  it'll pull our track set around the ski trails or my otter toboggan full of gear or a load of wood plus a buddy without much trouble at all.  love the classics!

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2012, 08:21 AM »
I ride this for several reasons.  Its a 1989 Yamaha Phazer 2 with 5250 miles.  1st was the price...$500.00.  2nd, I bought it from someone well known at another site who more than a few people trusted and had great respect for (a great guy, he passed recently), and I figured he wasn't lying to me about its running condition which is the 3rd reason I bought it.  4th, its fan cooled so I don't have concerns of too little snow to help cool the engine.  It has electric start and hand and thumb warmers that work extremely well but it will also start on the 2nd pull if needed.  The only cons were the condition of the seat and the ski skins.  For the seat, I ordered a new cover off Ebay for $50.00 and by cutting out some areas of the seat and using Gorilla tape and canned expanding spray foam and some elbow grease while sanding the foam down, I was able to get the seat back into somewhat of its original shape.  Its not perfect but it looks and feels far better than when I bought the machine.  As for the skins, they'll do for this winter and I will probably replace them before too long.  I am waiting for my son to return from PA. where he's working and we will McGiver a better auger rack then what I have at the present time.  When we get it done, I'll post pics of it in this forum.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2012, 09:42 AM »
I ride a Ski-Doo Tundra:

Pros for this type of sled: It's a single cylinder, fan cooled engine, which means it uses very little fuel, I might burn 5 gallons in a season, and I fish with it from december until april. It's also very light, which is great when you get stuck, and for dragging it off the trailer in the morning. Being set up as a work sled, it's geared for pulling and tows heavy loads quite well. It's also very simple, which makes maintenance a snap, even most trailside repairs are easy to get too, and can be performed with basic hand tools.

The Cons: It isn't very fast, or all that stable at high speeds, so if you've got long distances to cover on larger lakes, it takes a while.

Also having a smaller motor, means you don't have the power to muscle through situations like this one:

A more powerfull machine can usually blast through deep slush like this, but mine just sank. Not a fun morning.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2012, 02:53 PM »
I wanted new, reliable, reverse, electric start and cheap! I bought a 10' F570 leftover. Haven't had a real chance to put it though it's paces yet...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2012, 02:58 PM »
I ride a Ski-Doo Tundra:

Pros for this type of sled: It's a single cylinder, fan cooled engine, which means it uses very little fuel, I might burn 5 gallons in a season, and I fish with it from december until april. It's also very light, which is great when you get stuck, and for dragging it off the trailer in the morning. Being set up as a work sled, it's geared for pulling and tows heavy loads quite well. It's also very simple, which makes maintenance a snap, even most trailside repairs are easy to get too, and can be performed with basic hand tools.

The Cons: It isn't very fast, or all that stable at high speeds, so if you've got long distances to cover on larger lakes, it takes a while.

Also having a smaller motor, means you don't have the power to muscle through situations like this one:

(Image removed from quote.)

A more powerfull machine can usually blast through deep slush like this, but mine just sank. Not a fun morning.

CMMahy, as you know I'm not really knowledgeable on snowmobiles. Any ideas on how my sled would far in that slush? And how did you get it out? Thanks again also with all your help.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2012, 03:23 PM »

CMMahy, as you know I'm not really knowledgeable on snowmobiles. Any ideas on how my sled would far in that slush? And how did you get it out? Thanks again also with all your help.
Your sled has twice the hp and ground clearance of a tundra, you should be fine as long as you stay on the throttle through stuff like that. One of the best investments I have made for getting sleds out of situations like that was a cheap small come along. Get a long ice anchor, attach to anchor and sled and start cranking. Much easier on the back than doing it by hand

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2012, 03:41 PM »
All my sleds are on the "show your sleds post".  If you have distance to travel, you want a high hp comfy machine.  The '99 polaris cruiser and the '99 skidoo summittx fill the bill nicely.  If not alot of mileage, ill often take the old blizzards with the 503 fan motors.  At depends on my mood also. ;D

Slush requires high hp and tall paddle track and some onions.  Hammer it! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2012, 06:44 PM »
Any ideas on how my sled would far in that slush? And how did you get it out?

Your sled will do better than mine, as mentioned, you've got more power to play with, and I was towing my Fish Trap, it created a lot more drag once the sled started digging the trench. Your Trap rides up off the ground, which should help. Riding technique has far more to do with it than any sled, the biggest, baddest mountain sled can still get bogged down in slush. Momentum is the best defence, if you keep moving fast enough, you'll stay on top and maybe never even know the slush was there. I slowed to look at my GPS and that's when the sled sank, and my little motor didn't have enough power to climb back up on top of the snow while dragging the Fish Trap.

The technique to get out, is pack down a pad right beside the sled, lift it up on top of the pad, pack down a runway infront of the sled, clean the slush out of the track before it freezes, then pin it. Hopefully you get enough momentum to keep moving, if not, repeat as necessary until you get out of the slush, or hit solid land.

I turned mine around and rode back out in my own tracks, you can see my "launch pad" right next to my fish trap.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2012, 11:31 AM »
its not cheap but my picked track has saved me from slush many times. also when its mostly ice you still have traction and the picks break up enough ice so your slides dont burn out from lack of snow. i dont hammer it in slush. after ive lost momentum and my tracks down to ice i back it up in reverse as much as i can. then go forward w/ a little throttle letting the picks grab. most times it will climb right back on top then i gradually give er' more gas as it goes easier. my sled if you hammer it youll just be filling the totesled w/ slush and burying your sled. then your screwed! oh and by the way i run a "06 skidoo 550 expedition sport.  its a 2 up seat long track. wide plastic skis. 1.5 in. lugged 16in. paddle track. has lots of track travel.  i love it!

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2012, 08:19 PM »
Hey Jacksmelt71,

As you know i'm thinking about buying an Expedition 600ACE. Will it handle slush like the picture with a 3 man Otter flip over in tow?

I'm not planning on getting picks on the track.

"SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2012, 08:58 PM »
I ride a 2005 Yamaha Venture 600 triple. I got this sled because I used to own a '97 but sold it when I wen to Iraq. It's COMFY, elec start, reverse...and more then enough power to pull my gear....and make the wife happy when we go trail riding! I am currently looking at a Johnson Cargo system for it!

Offline nd_guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2012, 02:22 PM »
95 Arctic Cat Jag. It has changed the way I fish. I am more mobile and eager to try different spots. I got it because it was less than 500 dollars and had less than 3000 miles.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2012, 02:51 PM »
Nice and a great price too boot!  Did you put the auger rack on?
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2012, 03:21 PM »
nd_guy , Nice setup!

Thanks for all the tips dealing with slush. With a heart condition lifting the sled is not a real option for me. I'm getting a comealong and ice anchor, I'm checking winches too. Thanks again!
  Keep America Godly...

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2012, 04:15 PM »
I'm more than a little skeptical of the "ice anchor and come along" method, if I'd tried that in the pictures I'd shown, I'd be elbow deep in icy water trying to thread the anchor in. Then you're stuck winching the sled a few feet at a time until you get out of the slush.

Personally, I think you're better off investing in a Powder jack, or a Hi-lift Snowmobile Jack. Use the jack to lift the sled onto the packed surface, then just ride out. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Finally here's a few pics of the sleds, will have to get some pics when they are all set up for icefishing next month.
My RMK

The XLT I just picked up

And the ol kawi

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2012, 12:24 AM »
How are you guys mounting the auger on your sleds????

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2012, 05:49 AM »
They make a portable power winch for snowmobiles. It's a 1500# Warn winch. Your sled would need a battery in it "aka electric start".

This may be just the ticket for some. Having a good back, I manhandle mine out. The absolute first thing to try, if not alone, is driving out while somebody else pulls a ski. They only need to pull one from off to the side. It's amazing how little pressure will allow you to drive out sometimes. The driver should commit, in other words, bar it. Stand with your as far back as possable and pump your legs to gain traction. Of course unhook/unload any additional items and don't run your buddy over.

If pulling comes up short, as stated above, spin it around and drive out the way you came. Most of a sleds weight is up front so lift the track end around.

If you want to minimize effort, who doesn't, take the effort the first try. Half hearted attempts add up. Once out of slush like above find some hard spot to lift and drop the rear ends to clear it out.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2012, 07:04 AM »
I have a 97 xlt sp with reverse.  I got out of snowmobiling to make fishing my number 1 winter priority and was just going to use my wheeler.  When snow got deep 2 years ago and found my wheeler to be useless and my check book to empty to buy tracks for the wheeler I came in contact with this deal.  It has plenty of power and a xtra 12 suspension.  I can go for a ride on it if I choose and the price was the big thing for me.  I paid 625.00 for it. 

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2012, 09:01 AM »
How are you guys mounting the auger on your sleds?

Mine is mounted with a Mad Dog Auger Carrier clamped to my sled's rack.

Offline nd_guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:52 AM »

I will get better pictures of how I mounted it in a week. I don't have any pics of the auger mount up close.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2012, 12:05 PM »

Custom made auger rack built off the existing sport bumper

Keep America Godly...

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2012, 12:07 PM »
I have a 97 xlt sp with reverse.  I got out of snowmobiling to make fishing my number 1 winter priority and was just going to use my wheeler.  When snow got deep 2 years ago and found my wheeler to be useless and my check book to empty to buy tracks for the wheeler I came in contact with this deal.  It has plenty of power and a xtra 12 suspension.  I can go for a ride on it if I choose and the price was the big thing for me.  I paid 625.00 for it.
How is the reverse on the xlt? I had a reverse kit for my 95 xlt which is now my parts sled :( but got rid of it because of the added weight and never installed it and am kicking myself now because I have a 96 xlt for the girlfriend and I'm really wishing I would of kept it. I love my RMK but its not as reliable because of the extensive motor work done. I thought I found a good deal getting the XLT I just bought for the girlfriend for 200 with a blown motor, but I also had the motor from my 95 XLT that's pushing 135hp with stock pipes to drop in, took two hours to remove the motors from both sleds and get it in the 96. I'm happy to have another XLT up and running, the power is so smooth from the triple and they last forever. I had 12000 miles on my 95 with one rebuild. If anybody has any problems with the XLT's or Polaris shoot me a pm I do small engine work on the side and have a very good connection with the local Polaris dealer if something really stumps me, they have tried hiring me a few times but I like working on heavy iron too much to leave my job. The XLT's were the best selling trail sled of all time for a reason and you got a STEAL on it, up here even with 5000+miles that's a $2500 sled.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 15, 2012, 07:01 PM »
2008 Yamaha RS Venture GT.   ;D
Why, because it's very comfortable and has plenty of get up and go to get out of those slushy situations.
When I first start to feel the back end start to sink into slush just pin the throttle and you're gone!!!   ;D
The only issue with it is the weight of it if you do get stuck. Luckily I haven't had that issue in the 5 years I have owned it.     @) 

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2012, 12:03 AM »
2008 Yamaha RS Venture GT.   ;D
Why, because it's very comfortable and has plenty of get up and go to get out of those slushy situations.
When I first start to feel the back end start to sink into slush just pin the throttle and you're gone!!!   ;D
The only issue with it is the weight of it if you do get stuck. Luckily I haven't had that issue in the 5 years I have owned it.     @) 

You just gotta LOVE the Venture!...The Goldwing of sleds!

Offline hunter991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 20, 2012, 01:41 PM »
A pair of Yamaha 2010 Apex snowmobiles. Why? because they are fast and they work every time.. but not used for ice fishing, that duty gets the 2010 Grizzly ATV.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 23, 2012, 07:53 PM »
Cat because they dominate the industry.

2004 f7 sno pro, EFI. My riding posse also consists of a CFR 1000, z1 Turbo, and another z1 Turbo.. Skidoo makes a good sled also, the new e tecs are great.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #29 on: Nov 24, 2012, 08:06 AM »
Cat because they dominate the industry.

That's hilarious,  maybe in areas where they haven't seen anything else.  They sell them cheap to get rid of them, otherwise they'd never make it.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.