Author Topic: auger carrier..just ordered!!!  (Read 11308 times)

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
auger carrier..just ordered!!!
« on: Dec 16, 2011, 08:51 AM »
I got sick of dealing with my maddog holders that are made for guns, shovels, ect and not for carrying an ice auger....So, after getting done with work at 6am and having a milwaukees best or 2 i decided to pull the trigger on one of these. Should function great. Looks like it holds it rock solid and doesnt really add any bulk to my atv like some other rigs I have seen... I will give an update after I use it alittle this winter.

http://www.iceaugercarrier.com/
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
Re: auger carrier..just ordered!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2011, 10:39 AM »
I think I would figure a way to support the motor. Other then that, looks like a great auger carrier.

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2011, 02:53 PM »
I too would support that power head. I can see your shaft bending.  I love my Mad Dog.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:15 PM »
Looks just like the Digger mount that also carries the Strikemaster name. I bought the Digger mount earlier this year, they would send you a power head brace if you wanted one but said it wasn't necessary. The mount has been in production several years without the power head mount, they have had no reported issues of damaged shafts or power heads.

Digger came up with a brace mount for the power head when Strikemaster was looking at rebranding the product under their name. After Strikemaster tested the unit they said no additional power head support was needed.... that is why the power head brace is an optional piece of equipment. I asked for the power head support because I wanted to see for myself if it was beneficial, I was not charged for this item, the guys at Digger stuck on in the mail and I had it 2 or 3 days after I placed the call.

I still haven't added the brace, I really don't feel as if it is necessary. The vertical J hook clamp holds the auger in so incredibly secure, it is awesome.

I'll admit I was skeptical prior to purchasing the unit but I am sold on it now. The only draw back for me is that I cannot mount this to the front bumper of my sled... it works on some sled, unfortunately not on mine.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:44 PM »
That's a nice way to carry your auger.  It's easy to get to and protected from snow and slush that is kicked up by the sled.
It is a smoother ride than if it were in the tag sled.  I would take it easy on rough terrain to minimize the stress on the
gear box (or support the motor somehow).  And be sure to keep the blade cover on.  The point and blade are about
face level for a short person when on the rack.   I built one very similar to that for my old sled.  I would actually separate
the auger bit and motor for long trips.  I'd use a clevis pin instead of a bolt for quick dis/connect.   Once on the lake and
fishing and driving relatively low speeds, I'd keep bit attached to the motor.  It changes the balance or your sled a bit,
but you'll adjust pretty easily.  I'd keep my auger on my sled in the trailer.  Made for easier transportation of the auger.
The pictures show a Nils/Gator, but I also used it with my Jiffy.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:21 AM »
alright fellas, I just got this yesterday from the ol speedy delivery guy... This carried is going to work awesome! I am putting it on now and its an awesome peice of equipment for sure! Only thing is I have have to get some new hardware as the bolts that they sent are wayyyy to long for me to use if i mount it on the front rack of my atv...Very minor.... I will post a pic when I get it done later.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2011, 03:34 PM »
Looks just like the Digger mount that also carries the Strikemaster name. I bought the Digger mount earlier this year, they would send you a power head brace if you wanted one but said it wasn't necessary. The mount has been in production several years without the power head mount, they have had no reported issues of damaged shafts or power heads.

Digger came up with a brace mount for the power head when Strikemaster was looking at rebranding the product under their name. After Strikemaster tested the unit they said no additional power head support was needed.... that is why the power head brace is an optional piece of equipment. I asked for the power head support because I wanted to see for myself if it was beneficial, I was not charged for this item, the guys at Digger stuck on in the mail and I had it 2 or 3 days after I placed the call.

I still haven't added the brace, I really don't feel as if it is necessary. The vertical J hook clamp holds the auger in so incredibly secure, it is awesome.

I'll admit I was skeptical prior to purchasing the unit but I am sold on it now. The only draw back for me is that I cannot mount this to the front bumper of my sled... it works on some sled, unfortunately not on mine.

The extra brace mount was designed for the new 4 stroke motors to keep the powerhead in the correct position so the oil did not run out of the crankcase.  I built my own rack for the rear of my snowmobile, we added support for the powerhead on my solo 2 stroke.  I will post some pics later.

Offline BigBwanaD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2012, 06:36 AM »
I also use this mount on my Polaris Ranger 500 and love it! Bit of advice: When trailering it long distances, remove the auger. The holder will support it no problem, but the salt spray from the roads destroyed my Jiffy finish in one trip! I agree that on the Ranger, the extra support isn't necessary. Also, by drilling one extra hole in the holder, I was able to bolt it using the frame nuts that hold the upper winch cover plate on. Riding up front like that, the suspension removes the pounding the auger takes travelling over rough ice. Great product!

Offline treadz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't wait for the Hardwater
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2012, 03:00 PM »
Crappieguy could you let us know when you post some pics? I have a few ideas on how to make one for the back of my sled.  I have a bunch of half inch unistrut I'm going to use to make it.
Work should not be so pressing as to prevent a day's fishing through the ice.
–The Old Farmer's Almanac, 1910

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:25 PM »
Maybe a close up pic of the mount end by the flighting on the auger if you could?  I have a couple of them jig clamps laying here and a tig welder, might try making one out of aluminium for my shack and utv. Looks to be a slick design.

thx
Matt

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2012, 07:42 PM »
i am the original poster and I was pleased with this product but as of late and am really starting to dislike it. First off, the bare metal rack they sent me was chewinfg up the metal on my auger so I had to wrap the auger shaft in rubber and clamp it on (pita)... also the aluminum bar that they sent to bolt the rack to under the atv rack just slowly bends so I have to tighten it all the time in order to hold the auger. As of right now I am looking for something to replace it!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:01 PM »
Thanks for the update teamlund.

I sold my Polaris last year and my custom rack went with it.
I got a Skidoo, and built a box for the back, and just put the MadDogs on it.
Not the best photo, but I like having my auger handy. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.