Author Topic: 4 x 4 atv's  (Read 13042 times)

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 4 x 4 atv's
« Reply #60 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:59 AM »
I don't believe you can get ANY 4x4 with a true standard, as far as I know...and I've looked!!  YOu can get a few with automatic clutches (where you shift gears, no clutching required), but they're all moving towards fully automagic snowmobile transmissions.   

Srry, thats what i ment, but even with the atamatic clutch, they are still better then hi-lo's, and another thing is they have less electronics in them, so you dont need a computer tech to fix them

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #61 on: Feb 21, 2012, 04:24 PM »
Srry, thats what i ment, but even with the atamatic clutch, they are still better then hi-lo's, and another thing is they have less electronics in them, so you dont need a computer tech to fix them
I believe Yamaha's Big Bear is still a standard shift with automatic clutch.
fyi - belts and CVTs have come a very long way in recent years.

Offline george33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:08 PM »
Polaris 500 a great all around four wheeler.
2012 Polaris Sportsman 500
Jiffy 10" Pro 4 Model 40
Heritage Laker Tip-Up's
Shappell DX4000 Cabin
Shappell Jet Sled XL

Offline Trapperdirk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I will live and die laying down hard ,cold steel .
« Reply #63 on: Jul 27, 2012, 02:03 PM »
I believe Yamaha's Big Bear is still a standard shift with automatic clutch.
fyi - belts and CVTs have come a very long way in recent years.

Yes I have a 2008 Yamaha 400 Big Bear and it is a standard shift with auto clutch . It's one tough mother of a machine and has no fear of starting at -40 and is carbed . I  think any machine whether EFI or carbed would have to start immediately at -40 or it would not start at all because the small ATV batteries only have so much oomph .

TD
The bush is not just  a passion but in my soul.

TD

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Aug 13, 2012, 10:10 AM »
I'll stick with my Yamaha Rhino 660.  I can carry a passenger in comfort and pack all the gear in the back.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #65 on: Aug 20, 2012, 05:00 PM »
I am a Honda man, I have owned ES 450's (4 of them!) for a few years now. I can tell you....the reason why I buy them is I beat the crap out of my rigs. No joke! I have 2 98's and 2 '02's. Every unit is going strong! Just change the oil. One unit is HEAVILY modified (2 lift kits, snorkle, 27 in tires, lockers, etc) I built it to play in the swamps around my area. Never misses a beat! Up here it gets COLD! They always start and run good in sub zero cold!

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #66 on: Aug 22, 2012, 06:18 AM »
Did you ever buy an ATV?

Offline Bull Giller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Aug 25, 2012, 05:42 PM »
I picked up a Honda Foreman this past week. Changed all the fluids over to Amsoil. Shes ready to rock. :thumbsup:

Retired full-time Mille Lacs Guide now chasing my favorite panfish.
Honda Foreman 450ES
Polaris 600 Indy XCR 

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Aug 31, 2012, 01:11 AM »
I picked up a Honda Foreman this past week. Changed all the fluids over to Amsoil. Shes ready to rock. :thumbsup:

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice looking Foreman. My uncle owns 2, one with electric shift and one without. My cousin has beat them so bad and they still keep on going strong. I also went out and bought a atv for the first time. Mine however is a bit older, a 1987 350 Foreman 4x4.

Matt

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Aug 31, 2012, 06:50 AM »
I see that a lot of you fellas put chains on your 4wheeler. I have been out on pure ice and deep snow and never needed chains and plowed snow to. Never got stuck. I had a fella that told me if you want to have problems with your machine put chains on . Sure you will get all the traction you need,but do you need all that traction. There are times that it need to slip when you have all that power on them 4 wheels. Jerry

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #70 on: Aug 31, 2012, 07:46 AM »
I see that a lot of you fellas put chains on your 4wheeler. I have been out on pure ice and deep snow and never needed chains and plowed snow to. Never got stuck. I had a fella that told me if you want to have problems with your machine put chains on . Sure you will get all the traction you need,but do you need all that traction. There are times that it need to slip when you have all that power on them 4 wheels. Jerry
Chains are nice.  No slipping and sliding - just need to manage all that "power".  @)  Used chains for years and never had an issue.  Now I have tracks and still no problems.  It's all in the hands of the operator - IMO.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #71 on: Aug 31, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Another vote for Polaris. Mine is a 2012 550EPS, since this picture I have added electric handwarmers, front and rear racks, black low profile windshield, front & rear bumpers and about a dozen coats of Pledge polish ;D ;D

free image hosting

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Sep 03, 2012, 11:20 PM »
Nice looking Foreman. My uncle owns 2, one with electric shift and one without. My cousin has beat them so bad and they still keep on going strong. I also went out and bought a atv for the first time. Mine however is a bit older, a 1987 350 Foreman 4x4.

Matt

Matt, the 300 and 350 Honda's had the BEST motors! BOMBPROOF!

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #73 on: Sep 04, 2012, 07:07 AM »

I have chains in the back and ice screws in the front if its slushy or deep snow chains help allot.
If you spin, the wheels go right down to the ice and you sit there spinning. With the chains I spin down to the ice the Vbar chains grab and it goes enough to get you back on top.
On bare ice or light snow I just run the screws in the front and when I want to turn or stop I do.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Sep 06, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Never owned an ATV but have been wanting one for going on two decades. Maybe next year I will have to see. I have been looking at Yamaha Big Bear 400 IFS models and I think that would fit the bill for me. I figure if I would want more power down the road a Four Stroke Tech 454 stroker kit and lumpier cam should suffice. I like the idea of the manual shift and diff lock. Plus the newer larger displacement quads are just getting out out of hand with their prices.

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #75 on: Sep 13, 2012, 04:49 PM »
Chains are necessary for pulling stuff IMO. They will help you bite on the slippy stuff to get you going and make sure don't slip and slide on the glare ice. I personally don't run them but I have big aggressive tires on my Foreman.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Sep 14, 2012, 01:24 PM »
Matt, the 300 and 350 Honda's had the BEST motors! BOMBPROOF!

My father bought me a brand new 1990 fourtrax 300 2x4 when I was a kid... I beat the hell out of that thing growing up.  I use it today to plow (w/chains) and for the ice.  Never did a thing to it besides the oil, air filter, battery, and plug.  Still starts up quick and runs awesome!

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Sep 15, 2012, 12:20 PM »
My father bought me a brand new 1990 fourtrax 300 2x4 when I was a kid... I beat the hell out of that thing growing up.  I use it today to plow (w/chains) and for the ice.  Never did a thing to it besides the oil, air filter, battery, and plug.  Still starts up quick and runs awesome!

Can't beat a Honda! The 300 is a GREAT motor! I have a few 450's, all I do is change the oil and filter every 6 months and grease them. Aside from a few batteries and plugs over the years, I think they hold up well. I did have to change out a rectifier this year on my high mile (5000+) unit but $40 bucks later and it's good as new!

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Sep 17, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Can't beat a Honda! The 300 is a GREAT motor! I have a few 450's, all I do is change the oil and filter every 6 months and grease them. Aside from a few batteries and plugs over the years, I think they hold up well. I did have to change out a rectifier this year on my high mile (5000+) unit but $40 bucks later and it's good as new!

Someday I'll buy a 4x4 fourtrax 300, but today, and 22 years later, the machine is still a beauty.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.