Author Topic: Chains on your quad ?  (Read 15398 times)

Offline thereeltruth

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Chains on your quad ?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:50 PM »
V-bar on the rear tires works great. Ended up studding the fronts (and rears) with automotive-type studs to help with turning. Much, much better with turning after adding the studs on the front. Chains dig deep in the snow, breaks the hard-pack crust to shreds. Not good for trails, I'm told. Studs "float" and scratch over the hard pack, preserving the trail's traction for your return trip through the snow. The studs are like ice picks, my trailer plywood floor looks like it was attacked with an small ice pick. I do both, chains (w/spring type tensioners) and studs. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd just stud all 4 tires with automotive-type studs. A local tire shop did mine for a reasonable price. I have not lost a stud, in my 5th year with them.

Offline Team Lightning

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Proud Gawker of the BIKINI ICE FISHING TEAM !!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:24 PM »
MOST years I have had no need for chains....but this season the local lake froze so glassy smooth and 18 inches of snow since the freeze and i can go out with 4 wheel drive and spin all 4's very easy...the chains are coming out the next trip.

Offline Lightman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:21 PM »
When you have chains on the tires are you able to leave them on and drive the quad up ramps or do they have to go on and come off each time you're out?

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:56 PM »
Put them and leave them on.

Offline Lightman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Thank you.

Put them and leave them on.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #35 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:31 AM »
what about screwing some sheet metal screws in treads, would that do anything?
They would work well for bare ice, but I doubt they would have any worth in the snow and slush.
I retract this statement.  I installed ice screws all around this season and am completely satisfied.  I will not go back to chains.  @)
12+" of snow on top of 4-6" of slush with a crust, etc. is no problem.  I'm sure there is a limit somewhere but I don't believe chains will be the answer.

These are Maxis BigHorn tires (26X9-14, front and 26X11-14, rear) on a 2010 Polaris 550XP with nearly 250 of those screws in each tire.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #36 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:36 AM »
They would work well for bare ice, but I doubt they would have any worth in the snow and slush.

I retract this statement.  These have been awesome this year.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:05 PM »
Looks nice but I know I can take my chains off quicker than you taking all the screws out.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #38 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Looks nice but I know I can take my chains off quicker than you taking all the screws out.
I don't take the screws out.  Same concept as snow tires for your car - change out the wheels and tires for the "off season".  ;D

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:05 PM »
That gets pricey. I'll keep my chains :)

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #40 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:03 AM »
That gets pricey. I'll keep my chains :)
Ya - well - so is every other aspect of my ice-fishing equipment.  Just another way to stay happy.  Wait til I annouce my plan to purchase a set of Tatou Camoplast Tracks.   ;D :flex:

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:16 AM »
I put rear chains on my 08 sportsman 800 and wouldn't be able to pull my shanty without them on slick ice. And when I plow snow I can push it back and keep on going.I looked at the tracks also hard to swallow, $40 for chains $2900 for tracks.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #42 on: Feb 09, 2011, 08:39 AM »
I put rear chains on my 08 sportsman 800 and wouldn't be able to pull my shanty without them on slick ice. And when I plow snow I can push it back and keep on going.I looked at the tracks also hard to swallow, $40 for chains $2900 for tracks.
It's all in what you need/want your ATV to do for you.  Me, I think I want studded tracks.  After I exhaust the best possible setup for a wheeler, I go buy a sled.  Problem for me is the sled I would buy is way more than the tracks for the ATV.

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 09, 2011, 06:59 PM »
I studded my quads wheels with large hex nuts,,,, worked great until they all flew out eventually. 40 bucks gone. Redid with # 8 3/8 hex and they stayed in but were pretty much useless in deep snow/slush,,,,, my stock tires totally suck.  After a snow storm up here of 20cm, I was left going 10-15 kph on the lake. Totally useless. I could buy new tires for $500 with huge lugs that would improve things, but thick slush is still a potential nightmare. Selling quad and getting a sled. :-)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.