Author Topic: Honda 3 wheeler for ice machine  (Read 11911 times)

Offline dakota man

• IceShanty Rookie
Honda 3 wheeler for ice machine
« on: Jan 18, 2010, 04:20 AM »
Anyone know if a Honda 3 wheeler Big Red will get the job done on the ice. Will chains help or is it a waste of time and money?

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Honda 3 wheeler for ice machine
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:17 AM »
I drove one out on the ice for 14 years didn't have anymore problems than what you would have with a 4 wheeler. I spiked all 3 tires for traction, and steering.
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline HardWaterMachine31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:47 PM »
we got an 85 200 es w/ hi/lo and reverse. She's a tank. no problem pulling shantys in and out. them big baloons on mine just like to float.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:18 PM »
200 Honda three wheeler here works Just fine a little bumpy on rough ice .

Live to fish forced to work

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:34 AM »
I used a Honda 70 three wheeler for years. If I got stuck I just lifted it out and kept going. I would either have to walk a path or follow someone else's to get out there. Depends on if you want to fish when there is lots of snow? Any other time it beats walking.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:53 AM »
i also use a 1985 200s honda 3 wheeler but mine doesnt like the cold it fouls sparkplugs in the winter.just a little jetting issue.i just bring a spare plug.the balloonies do real well in snow.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2010, 11:01 AM »
i also use a 1985 200s honda 3 wheeler but mine doesnt like the cold it fouls sparkplugs in the winter.just a little jetting issue.i just bring a spare plug.the balloonies do real well in snow.
I am not sure of the ignition system for the 200. If it has points and condenser the condenser could be going bad. I had trouble fouling plugs and replaced the points and condenser and it ran like a new one, Had to readjust the carb because of the difference. Also make sure the valve clearance is good. If one valve or the other is a little tight, you will have a hard starting issue. One more thing to check for the fouled plugs. Look at your air cleaner and see if it has too much oil in it. You could be sucking it in and fouling the plug.

Offline roger46982

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2010, 06:09 AM »
Anyone know if a Honda 3 wheeler Big Red will get the job done on the ice. Will chains help or is it a waste of time and money?

Was wondering the same thing, we got a bunch of snow early in the week. The ole three wheeler would sure save a lot of walking if it doesn't get stuck! Would chains help?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:41 AM »
Was wondering the same thing, we got a bunch of snow early in the week. The ole three wheeler would sure save a lot of walking if it doesn't get stuck! Would chains help?

I have found that it will get stuck in the deep stuff. You can walk a trial and try to stay in it. The chains would help then. I prefer the screws for the slick ice and being able to turn and pull things.

Offline flytyr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2010, 02:38 PM »
The 3 wheeler we use just the front tire is studded for stearing on glair ice

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Anything beats walking and chains are pretty handy at least and ecential at times.
Thread killer

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2013, 09:04 PM »
I've been using a 1984 200m for quite a few years and yes, it beats walking. If I could pick up a spare front tire and rim I would definitely add studs to it.
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 18, 2013, 01:20 PM »

cool--thanks
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline bigred1974

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2013, 04:02 PM »

I studded the front tire and had v bar chains in back. two people and a modded out otter lodge it worked pretty well. I also added wolley booger tires to the back.

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2013, 08:42 PM »
Very nice Big Red----------wanna trade???LOL
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Aug 28, 2013, 10:02 AM »
Biggest problem with 3 wheelers in Ontario is finding a insurance company to cover them for public liability and public damage.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #17 on: Aug 28, 2013, 01:47 PM »
Wow! nice set up, looks like she could get it done.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2013, 07:34 AM »
Any of you run an atc on the ice? I used to run an arctic cat 400 4x4 and it worked great but sat the rest of the year other then deer season. I sold it and have fished without a wheeler for a while now. I am looking at Honda 185s and 200s 3 wheelers. They are great for dragging deer and putting through the woods. I am thinking with chains on rear wheels it would be fine for early ice until I can drive out with suv. It will pull my X2
Fishin red lines

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 02, 2013, 07:40 AM »
my first machine and i used it on the ice with a good foot of snow and used it in the woods for hunting. cheap and reliable. good times and alot of fun, big red. john  :tipup:

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2013, 07:46 AM »
I had a big red 250 that was the ultimate wheeler. I could go anywhere my buddies could and it could pull anything. They want huge money for them now. Good machines, I was thinking 200s because I can lift it if I get it stuck some where and a powerful motor for the weight of the machine. Found one in great shape for 500 bucks. Thinking I may just have to do it.
Fishin red lines

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 02, 2013, 08:14 AM »
I had a 200S many years ago and used it with chains but it was a beast to start (pull start) in really cold weather.  I actually tore my rotator cup trying to start it on Sag. Bay one day and wound up getting pulled in by a young man w/a snowmobile.  Sold it that summer and bought a 4x4 w/electric start. 
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline dakota man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:04 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I studded the front tire and had v bar chains in back. two people and a modded out otter lodge it worked pretty well. I also added wolley booger tires to the back.
Chains will help. I used my Big Red for several yrs and needed chains when the snow got to more than 6 inches. You can also make a ski set up for the front wheel so you don't have to plow with it.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2014, 02:49 PM »
I fish with a guy occasionally who uses a Honda Big Red with chains and sheet metal screws in the front tire to help steer on slick ice. He gets around just fine with the thing and when the ice is getting a little sketchy he has the advantage of running the lightest rig on the lake.
Deep snow would be a problem but we never get snow that deep that hasn't been blown into hard drifts by the wind.

Offline walley_eye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2015, 09:36 AM »
I have a 200 ES as well and I will admit it needs some work but for the life of me I can't get it started in the winter.

Any hints to help make this thing start and run?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2015, 09:56 AM »
my 84 200s would not start or run in the winter at all either.rejetting it for cold weather would help.dang thing would run all season till snow would fly.

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 25, 2015, 06:35 AM »
I have a 200 ES as well and I will admit it needs some work but for the life of me I can't get it started in the winter.

Any hints to help make this thing start and run?

Get the valves adjusted. People neglect this maint. issue way to much.

Offline Captainpaddlefoot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2015, 07:51 AM »
I have two, 185 that we use for the second machine the other is a 200s, low, high and reverse with electric start, the pack mule.

I think you are better of with different tire than chains for dealing with snow. I am putting ATP mudlites on the back.

Chains only help on clean ice. I am going to stud my front when for tractions on clean ice.

It has never left me stranded and they are easy to move around.

I am doing some updating to mine. Switched from a Otter loser portable to the Eskimo EVO.

I will need the pack more on the mule. Adding a rack to the front so I can hang five gallon pails of the rack and still have my auger mounts there also.

When I am done, I will post pictures.
See ya on the ice,
Captainpaddlefoot (Doug)

Offline Bob E

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:46 AM »
Anybody see this video at the top of the recommended list from the last one linked?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz3KY_H4CuY

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:03 AM »
Captainpaddlefoot, I have 2 big reds that I love using year round but because of the distance I travel to fish, a snowmobile is more useful, I took the rack off the back of one of my big reds and bolted it to the back of my sled and use it for carrying my gas auger. A rack like that could be put on the front of one of your 3 wheelers and carry your stuff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.