Author Topic: Redneck ice fishing machine  (Read 16090 times)

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Redneck ice fishing machine
« on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:41 PM »
i dont own a 4x4 quad with 700cc or a snowmobile that will do 120 miles mph................... ...

but what i do own is sweet 12hp 1969 allis chalmers lawn tractor. this machine has the horsepower and the tourque to pull just about anything. this isnt your craftsman you can buy today. but a very well built working machine. how redneck would it be to use it as a gear puller on the ice? of course the old girl would have some chains on her. 7th gear in 3rd speed goes ALOT faster then i can walk. let alone pull two guys crap. the older i get the  more i realise it could just be so much easier. this might be the key. good news is doesnt need to be registered its a lawn tractor!!! i want to be able to bring more out on the ice. food,cookers, chairs, maybe even some wood for a small fire, three hot brunettes wanting to get "jiggy"............ooops A.D.D. again.  :o

so..............anyone ever see this done? if not keep your eyes open on lake one day for an old mustard yellow tractor. say hello its likely me.  my name is hoppy. REDNECK ICE FISHING RULES!!!!

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
Re: Redneck ice fishing machine
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:34 PM »
I have seen it done quite a few times. Take the deck off and put the chains on it and call it a day. Works quite well.

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:04 AM »
Yeah Man!!  :thumbsup: I think you are right on target here. It doesn't matter how fancy, it matters how comfortable. I think it's a great idea and even a conversation starter. I am all about using what I have and being frugal, this is right up my alley.  :woot:

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:11 AM »
Works good in the right conditions if its slushy or deep snow they get hung up!Other than that its the best t6hing goin no reggy dont need helmet!
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2009, 04:04 PM »
Here in Michigan I do believe they need a ORV sticker and helmet on public land even for a lawn tractor. The crazy thing is right after I saw this post last night I turned on the TV and they had mower racing on. Those suckers can do 70mph+! Just a little something for you to think about ;D ;D ;D "IceShanty Pimp My Tractor"

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:28 PM »
here in CT and MASS a lawn tractor is something you mow you rlawn with. it doesnt need to be registered. already checked with the DEP about legality.
my own hold back this moment is tranporting the tractor. i suppose the most logical thing to do is buy a small trailer i can turn into a small shanty but also tow the tractor with.  i have seen this doen with a big 4x4 quad and the shanty was nothing short of a small house. no reason it couldnt be done.
i already ditched the deck when i bought the tractor. it sat for 4 years. we went through it totally and she runs like a top. they donemake them like this anymore. piston in it is huge!!! has all the power i need. i made a plow mount from scrath with manual lift and also bought a blade from our scarp metal guy for $10. could plow my way on nthe ice!!!! i need to build a auger holder. suppose working off the rear tool adapter mount is my best option. ill have to get into that soon.
ill get some pictures up soon. i have to make a tow pole for the jet sled also.

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:27 PM »
Here in Michigan I do believe they need a ORV sticker and helmet on public land even for a lawn tractor. The crazy thing is right after I saw this post last night I turned on the TV and they had mower racing on. Those suckers can do 70mph+! Just a little something for you to think about ;D ;D ;D "IceShanty Pimp My Tractor"

Nope, nope and nope. Just went thru this a while back on another site and a CO chimed in for Michigan.  No registration needed.  No helmet needed.

Couple of years ago I seen an old man on a John Deere garden tractor on Hamlin lake.  Had the mower removed, had chains on and was pulling his lawn cart with his gear in side.  Talked to him for a while and was teasing him about going slow.  Said he was almost 80 and wasn't in no hurry to get anywhere.  Said he takes the tractor out all the time when the snows not too deep.  Funny guy....... Last I seen him he was going thru the narrows heading towards the south end..........chugging along about 5 mph..... ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:40 PM »
There is an old timer on my local lake that pulls his shack around with an H Farmall. There is no shame in getting creative! It reminds me of a country song.....

"She may have got my car keys, but she forgot about my old John Deere" ;D

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:57 PM »
luckily i didnt have to make anything for the tow bars for the jet sled.
used the pins on the tractors rear mount setup where you can hookup attachmants.
grabbed two pieces of steel from the scrap pile that are approx 1/4"x 1" x 3-1/2 to 4'
hooked each  piece up the tractor with a pin. the steel easily bows togther at the other end to form a point. grabbed a U bolts from tractor supply and im good to go. instant tow bar. cost me $1.50
this is getting more redneck by the day. going to through the chains on her tomorrow after work. want to test her out in the field before i hit the ice. if all goes well she might be out this weekend.
if i can figure out how to get the tractor in the back of a truck. dont have ramps.......yet.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Wish i had taken a pic hoppy, but there was a large orange lawn tractor in use on Winchester last weekend. So you aren't the only redneck out there this season. ;)

Offline LILDILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:12 PM »
i wouldnt see no problem using it what ever gets you there, use what you have, me i walk
TIP-UP

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2009, 10:15 AM »
There won't be anyone laughing at you after they drag their gear all day across the ice. Those tractors go faster than walking speed. That's all that matters.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2009, 07:50 PM »
Bruster

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:01 PM »
GO FOR IT HOPPY!      "GIT-ER-DONE"
POST PIC'S.

RAYMAN54,,,,,,,,,,, :icefish:

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:13 PM »
I myself have been trying to make a golf cart into an ice fishing machine. But I dont have the torque of a lawn tractor. might have to sell my prject and get a lawn tractor myself.

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:16 PM »
not much stopping me now. really wish i had a trailer.

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:20 PM »
I myself have been trying to make a golf cart into an ice fishing machine. But I dont have the torque of a lawn tractor. might have to sell my prject and get a lawn tractor myself.

I HAVE A GAS POWERED YAMAHA GOLF CART WITH A LIFT KIT AND ATV TIRES, IT WOULD BE FINE WITH CHAINS BUT NOT IF THE SNOW IS GETTING OVER 5"  THEN ITS GOING TO WORK TOO HARD.

RAYMAN54,,,,,,,,,,,,, :icefish:

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:48 PM »
I HAVE A GAS POWERED YAMAHA GOLF CART WITH A LIFT KIT AND ATV TIRES, IT WOULD BE FINE WITH CHAINS BUT NOT IF THE SNOW IS GETTING OVER 5"  THEN ITS GOING TO WORK TOO HARD.

Was thinking of adding a second rear axcle then tracks and skis on the front.

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2009, 08:13 AM »
Was thinking of adding a second rear axcle then tracks and skis on the front.

NOW THAT WOULD BE COOL. :woot:  MAY NEED TO LOOK INTO THE CLUTCH OR GEARING IF YA' GO WITH SETUP.  I KNOW THEY HAVE CLUTCH KITS FOR 4-WHEELERS WHEN PUTTING THE LARGE TIRES ON THEM AND ALSO FOR PLOWING WITH A WHEELER.

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:48 AM »
not much stopping me now. really wish i had a trailer.

Hoppy, check out harbor freight. they have trailers in various sizes that you assemble and add your own plywood I bought one for my gear. funny I was thinking of using my lawn tractor on the ice. heck I can pull a full cors of wood on a 4x8 trailer with chaons in the snow, why not use it on the ice. deepers now would be the only problem. I even thought of puting eye bolts on the handles of my snow blower , hooking mu sled to it and blazing a trail out onto the ice. but so far this year hasnt been too bad lugging the gear by hand.

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2009, 05:54 AM »
we have a harbor freight not far from us. i know they sell trailers but was hoping to find one used and alot cheaper. wonder what front skis on the tractor would be like. sketchy?? wouldnt be hard to make something up for it. wonder if that would help with the snow.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2009, 07:03 AM »

friend of mine has a golf cart with a lift and some paddle tires for sand, he took sheet metal screws and put them in the lugs of the tires and that helped alot.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:19 AM »
You dont have to put along at 5mph,ever see lawn mower races,I think they get them going around 40 -45 mph.now that will turn some heads on the ice

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2009, 06:41 PM »
wonder how they do it? does it take a ton of mods?

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2009, 09:56 PM »
I seen a guy out on Lake Erie last year with a John Deer Lawn Tractor, worked pretty good.
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:41 PM »
do any of you have pics of this tractor on the ice. would like to see it thanks

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothin beats the vexilar!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:27 PM »
I dont see why it wouldn't work!!!

Offline allpurposeoil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:21 AM »
Maybe I can get u guys some rAcing mower plans for ideas what u think

When You Call Us Mention Iceshanty

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:36 AM »
One concern is if the rear end is posi or open.  In slush an open rear end would dig in fast.  My uncle made skis for his out of old snowmobile skis.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

surflizard

« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2010, 06:08 AM »
A friend of mine went waaaayyy over board on his lawn mower/ ice machine?? He dropped a Harley 1000 sportster
 motor into it. WHAT A BEAST :o He could pull and hold wheelies forever with it. WICKED AWESOME !! I got to follow behind and watch the foolishness :roflmao: :clap: and pick up all the stuff he would fling all over the lake when he would do this. The next year after way too much Magillicuttys, he parked it in his bobhouse at 40 MPH  :pinch: After they removed the full leg cast, he retired the lawn mower from hell !! WICKED COOL LAWN ORNIMENT :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.