Author Topic: Auger Carrier  (Read 4789 times)

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Auger Carrier
« on: Oct 01, 2021, 11:25 AM »
I've been planning on mounting a digger auger carrier to my Honda Pioneer 520...wondering if anyone has ideas or pictures on mounting options with a front bumper? When I had my Rancher, I just used the gun mounts/grips on the front rack. I don't have a front rack or a Ranger (they have one specifically for Polaris), so not sure what the best mounting option would be. I'd like to keep it up front, if possible, to save space in the bed. I will also be using the rear receiver for towing the huts.

https://www.amazon.com/Digger-Ice-Auger-Snowmobile-Composite/dp/B0073Y4J1W?th=1&psc=1

I'm also open to other ideas...

https://jawsofice.net/product/jaws-of-ice/

**I'd post pictures of the rig, but can't figure out how to do it at this point. Thanks for any ideas/advice

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Auger Carrier
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2021, 12:37 PM »
Picture is worth a thousand words...these instructions should help .

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=141955.0
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2021, 01:56 PM »
Figured it out...

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2021, 04:29 PM »
You can get gun grips that will clamp to that front push bar... I use a set of Kolpins clamped to my push bar, they work well. I'm not sure the model or where I got them, it's been a while.

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Mean Gene

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2021, 08:09 PM »
I used u bolts and attached digger to my front basket. Works great, no movement. Got 10" strikemaster on it. Just make sure you always put to blade cover back on.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2021, 09:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys! @800stealth thanks for the idea, I think that might work.

@HD I've got a Strikemaster Lazer Pro and also a Milwaukee/Clam drill combo with a Lazer bit.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2021, 08:51 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys! @800stealth thanks for the idea, I think that might work.

@HD I've got a Strikemaster Lazer Pro and also a Milwaukee/Clam drill combo with a Lazer bit.

This may be an option as well ..you may also be able to mount it in the roll cage some how as well ..they make a 10" as well as an 8"

https://www.scheels.com/p/otter-atv-auger-shield-10-inch/60914204930.html?cgid=ice-fishing

https://www.amazon.com/OTTER-200076-Parent-Otter-Auger-Shield/dp/B0030C9GVE?th=1&psc=1

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2021, 02:08 PM »
Grizzlyhackle,  I looked at the same 2 mounts as you.  I ended up getting the Digger and it is the best auger mount hands down.  I put it on my Snowdog and it works great.  Solid for sure. 

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2021, 07:36 AM »
I put it on my Snowdog and it works great.  Solid for sure. 

Im looking to purchase a snowdog soon. I’ve never driven a snowdog but I hear they can be a bit tippy. I would like to mount my auger the same way you did but wonder if it would be a issue if the snowdog were to tip over? I have a Strikemaster 40v and would hate to break it should I tip.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2021, 08:43 AM »
Grizzlyhackle,  I looked at the same 2 mounts as you.  I ended up getting the Digger and it is the best auger mount hands down.  I put it on my Snowdog and it works great.  Solid for sure. 

I ended up with the Kolpin mounts on my front grill - was trying to figure out the best layout for the Digger, but just couldn’t come up with a good long term solution without moving things around when the season changes.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2021, 08:54 AM »
Im looking to purchase a snowdog soon. I’ve never driven a snowdog but I hear they can be a bit tippy. I would like to mount my auger the same way you did but wonder if it would be a issue if the snowdog were to tip over? I have a Strikemaster 40v and would hate to break it should I tip.

Some neat snow dog add ons

https://www.facebook.com/snowdog.club/videos/4513593135388716

https://www.facebook.com/iceteamrevolution/videos/396381808827906/

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2021, 01:02 AM »

Hey, so what's the deal with the modified exhaust you have on your snowdog?
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2021, 06:27 AM »
Made a header for it! It keeps the exhaust out if your face when rolling across the ice.  I also removed the little spark arrestor screen.  Probably not a big difference but will give it better air flow out. 

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2021, 11:21 AM »

@WYOBEAR did you have to cut the digger auger mount to shorten it? I bought a new sport model and measured it and it won't fit like yours. I have a digger mount on my ATV and love it. I would like to do the same as you.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2021, 12:01 PM »
Yes Sir.  I chopped about 4" out of the middle and welded it back together.  So one thing to think about is the handle bars will not fold down all the way with the mount on the inside of the frame like I did.  I think I may get the new wider bars and move my handle bars to the outside.  Its not bad but I would like it to lay flatter.  I solved one problem but made another...

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2021, 12:27 PM »
ughh darn it. I would like the bars to fold down and still be able to put the sled on top of the snowdon for transporting. By new wider bars are you referring to the new sport model? I have the sport model so maybe it would work? Ill have to take a look.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2021, 12:35 PM »
ughh darn it. I would like the bars to fold down and still be able to put the sled on top of the snowdon for transporting. By new wider bars are you referring to the new sport model? I have the sport model so maybe it would work? Ill have to take a look.

Gator,  you do have the new wider bars on the sport.  They mount to the outside not the inside like mine so you could mount the Digger like mine but I'm not sure about the new storage box.  It will be in the way unless you put the auger mount on the motor side of the cross-brace.  But that doesn't give you much room and your exhaust will blow right on your auger.  Hope that helps!

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2021, 12:52 PM »
There just isn't alot of room or places to mount the auger mount.  I was trying to keep everything inside the frame but some have put the mount on the outside going length wise with the machine.  This is what worked for me

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2021, 01:13 PM »
Ok you’re correct. It should work. The storage box is junk anyways so im ok with taking it out. My only other concern is having the auger hanging off the sides. Ive never driven a snowdog but have heard they tip easily. I don’t want to ruin a auger should I tip it. Thinking I could throw the auger in the sled though if im not running on the flat ice.

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2021, 08:08 AM »
Thanks for the help WYOBEAR I picked up a digger mount last night at fleet farm. Im going to mount mine in the same spot. Nice weld by the way! If mine turns out half as nice as yours I’ll be happy. I’m not the greatest with TIG. One more question is it only mounted with the 2 U bolts on the ends?

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2021, 08:21 AM »
No sir I put 2 on the lower cross bar and 1 on each side rail.  4 total.  I also replaced the 2 screws that hold the "cups" in place at the top with bolts also.  I went with SS so nothing would rust.  Thanks man happy to help!

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2021, 04:51 PM »
Darn it apparently the new sport doesn’t have the lower cross bar. WYOBEAR in your opinion would it be sturdy enough with just the U bolts on both sides? I would be carrying a Strikemaster Lithium 40V auger.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2021, 06:08 PM »
Gator, is there any way to attach it to the side rails that are angled down.  Looks like there are tabs there now that you might be able to bolt to.  Only using 2 would alow it to move I'm afraid.  You could always just run a long bolt down through the floor also.  Man that stinks. 

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:46 AM »
Hopefully I’ll have time this weekend to take a look at it and come up with something. I’ll keep ya posted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.