New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Slow two Weeks - Verticle v Horizontal patterns  (Read 511 times)

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
Slow two Weeks - Verticle v Horizontal patterns
« on: Mar 07, 2019, 01:39 PM »
So in seeing the reports and conditions pages it looks like I'm not the only one struggling with the bite the last few weeks - its been straight up horrible and it hasn't really mattered where I have been trying to fish (new Albion, SBH, Union Ship canal, Honeoye...).  I can see a ton of fish on the finder and can get them to follow the jig but getting a taker has been rough.  Unlike earlier in the season i am seeing that horizontal jigs (raps, Getzit) are attracting more fish that vertical presentations (sweedish pimple, forage minnow, perch talker) and was wondering if anyone else has been seeing this trend with where you are fishing. 

The jigging rap in a perch color has been by far my most productive option after sweedish pimples were killing it earlier in the season. 
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: Slow two Weeks - Verticle v Horizontal patterns
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2019, 03:16 PM »
when the fish get funky, first thing I do is go big and aggressive with loud baits like bright swimbaits, blade baits, uv jigging raps, big spoons, big plastics, etc.   Be aggressive, get right in their face. Dont hold it still and wait for them to hit it, challenge them to eat it.     If that also fails, then i switch to a finesse presentation (tungsten jig and plastic, small spoon, etc).   

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2019, 06:50 PM »
Your overthinking it. Adjust to the hitting windows. They die if they don't eat
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2019, 07:13 PM »
I thought that too but today I was out right in the sweet spot of the zenith and nada  save for a few hits. 
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.