New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Filet o fish  (Read 7230 times)

Offline toadstool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Tony- Sherburne, NY
Re: Filet o fish
« Reply #60 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:50 PM »

If god made fish to feel pain then he would be a very cruel god indeed. Fish eat other fish.. alive. They dont whack em on the head or stick a knife in their head first. They swallow the smaller fish whole and they thrash around in burning stomach acid until they are dead. Fish do not feel pain like people. I have explained this to my wife and kids too. On a side note good luck trying to knock out or kill a catfish or bullhead before you clean it. They stay alive for quite a while even after they are filleted. Crazy tough.

Your logic doesn't really hold water, I mean if God made monkeys and also made harpy eagles which prey primarily on monkey- I don't think you'd deny that a primate can't feel pain... Maybe God doesn't care about all the mammals that are preyed upon by predators (or their obvious pain) as much as he cares about minnows.

I know when my red-tailed hawk snags a rabbit by the face and drives his talons through it's eye sockets it sure feels pain... but that is the natural order of things. Maybe it's easier to not think about those sort of things though.

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:10 PM »
Your logic doesn't really hold water, I mean if God made monkeys and also made harpy eagles which prey primarily on monkey- I don't think you'd deny that a primate can't feel pain... Maybe God doesn't care about all the mammals that are preyed upon by predators (or their obvious pain) as much as he cares about minnows.

I know when my red-tailed hawk snags a rabbit by the face and drives his talons through it's eye sockets it sure feels pain... but that is the natural order of things. Maybe it's easier to not think about those sort of things though.

I was gonna say this same thing, but I didnt want to start a huge uproar.. if you think about it, mammals and fish are far from the same thing... so that in itself could mean differences in how they "feel" or "sense" things.. clearly all mammals feel pain, some can even express emotions... I would definitely assume that, even tho a fish, a toad, a bird, etc... are all totally different than mammals, despite the differences, they can still feel pain. But it's open to debate

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:29 PM »
Maybe I'm cruel living in a cruel world but again some things are blood sports.
Fish are the least of my worries about their feelings.  Yes, if it's a temperature critical about spoilage,  I will take measures to dispatch with bleed them out quickly or I may stinger them to keep alive before I leave.  I don't think about a hole I poke through a fishes jaw ( instead of its gills) to put a stinger so it stays alive and endures all that pain,  lol.
When I'm ice fishing,  all trout get bled out
Quickly just for taste reasons.  Panfish just flop on the ice.

During hunting,  If i arrow a deer with a vital shot, it is not going to get a bunch of arrows in it until it stops breathing,  nor am I going to risk injury trying to slit its throat.  It will pass on its own.
A non mortal shot is a different story.
Our chickens get their heads stuffed into a traffic cone upside down and their necks slit. They flop and kick until they pass.  Should I comfort them to ease their pain too, lol

Come on man, put the feelings aside and the big boy pants on.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #63 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:17 PM »
ihated chickens when we were kids  having to take care of them one year when the old man butchered them I felt their pain ....he found BBs under their skin  I had shot them with  ...... I can tell you a red rider  stock fits perfect to a boys behind

ps I still hate chickens

tuna your right it's food  ...ya got to kill it before you grill it

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #64 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:22 PM »

I can remember my grand father butchering chickens chopping block and watch them flipping around , some site for a 6 year old 😜

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:39 PM »
I dont care what the fish feels and I'm not gonna cry about it if it's in pain. I'm just saying, it feels pain.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:39 PM »
As a kid we did the chopping block method.  As I learned and advanced,  a traffic cone is less messy and damaging to the meat.
My son has egg layers,  yeah, I been there done that. I'll take free eggs year round,  I'll harvest 100 meat birds twice a year instead.
My younger grandson ( 3 years old) already is a red rider family member, 6 down,  3 to go.
Mine makes  great entertainment for the indoor shooting gallery.

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:46 PM »
 :icefish:  ;D According to PETA,Catch and release:torturing fish for fun  :whistle:

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #68 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:51 PM »

Tuna I still have some scalding pots of his , these days they are used for flowers

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #69 on: Mar 07, 2019, 06:05 AM »
When my grandson goes with me in the boat , he likes to give the eyes a little (Quiet Fish) with a billy from the live well , it’s U-tubed , I got some nasty grams for it ,my feelings were hurt 🤪
 Ice fishing they go right to the grain bag
 I just do what works for me , others can do it any way they wish

Got a link fred?

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Mar 07, 2019, 06:15 AM »
I can remember my grand father butchering chickens chopping block and watch them flipping around , some site for a 6 year old 😜
I was your age when my father did the same thing. Once in a while one would get it's feet under it and run 15-20 yards wide open.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #71 on: Mar 07, 2019, 07:04 AM »
 Sorry Jon couldn’t get it to paste
 Double Shooter I can remember my mom giving gramps hell from getting blood on my shirt as the chickens were doing flips , I can still see him using work horses,

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:23 AM »
Would you guys gut and butcher a chicken that is alive? Sounds like you put them out of their misery quickly.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #73 on: Mar 07, 2019, 11:27 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEwS9213z_k

hey nate want some chicken nuggets???

reality son reality

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Mar 07, 2019, 12:18 PM »
Would you guys gut and butcher a chicken that is alive? Sounds like you put them out of their misery quickly.

My dad handles the butchering at his parent's house when he was growing up, and he never liked chicken.  My mom took care of it when she was at her Grandparents farm, didn't bother her, but her mother cooked all kinds of things that my Grandfather brought home (woodchuck, muskrat, fox, etc.)  There was this thing called the Great Depression going on, and they made do with what they could get.   Both described the same method for chicken, grab it by the head, lay it over the block and take the head off with a smooth axe stroke, then let the chicken run around until it fell over, which meant it had bled out.  Then start with the plucking and pin feathering!

Offline toadstool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Tony- Sherburne, NY
« Reply #75 on: Mar 07, 2019, 12:29 PM »

No, that would be pretty stupid considering they would be moving around so much you could never butcher them. Fish lie there fairly still for the most part unless you hit a nice little nerve bundle... Take a look at how commercial food producers treat and butcher their animals - kosher beef especially- Talk about brutal

Either way this whole topic cracks me up, never would have guessed there'd be so many self-hating fish torturers here!!!  ;D

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Mar 07, 2019, 01:11 PM »
I'm just saying the chicken analogy doesn't work, you are killing them quickly to make the whole process easier, which I think holds true for fish also. I fillet around the ribs so having them flopping around is annoying and they bleed all over making a mess.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Mar 07, 2019, 01:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEwS9213z_k

hey nate want some chicken nuggets???

reality son reality

I'd love some, with some fresh blood as dipping sauce.

I was just drawing a comparison, you all mentioned killing chickens swiftly, but keep fish alive all day and while filleting. I guess cutting in to the flesh of a living thing just gives me the heebee jeebies (aka a pansy). I'm no stranger to meat processing, I have pictures of deer with their brains blown out that would make peta people throw up, but they die quick usually at least.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Mar 07, 2019, 01:40 PM »
I gutted a deer once and when I reached to pull out the heart,  it was still beating

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Mar 07, 2019, 02:15 PM »
I gutted a deer once and when I reached to pull out the heart,  it was still beating

Did you take a bite?

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Mar 07, 2019, 02:20 PM »
Back in the day when coon brought good$$ we'd skin them out as soon as they hit the ground still squirming. On to the next tree 😂😂
I live back in the woods you see

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Mar 07, 2019, 04:48 PM »
Did you take a bite?

Nah, it was pretty weird because I had feelings,  lol.
I've eaten plenty of these fresh caught live though and it didn't seem to hurt my feelings at all 😀

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #82 on: Mar 07, 2019, 05:16 PM »
I'd love some, with some fresh blood as dipping sauce.

I was just drawing a comparison, you all mentioned killing chickens swiftly, but keep fish alive all day and while filleting. I guess cutting in to the flesh of a living thing just gives me the heebee jeebies (aka a pansy). I'm no stranger to meat processing, I have pictures of deer with their brains blown out that would make peta people throw up, but they die quick usually at least.

Im not a fan of it either because I dont want to cut myself.  My daughter will watch and go "gross dad they are flopping"  Blackfish are the worst...they live forever.

Offline Mossy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Mar 07, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Frog legs.... Been awhile so good really enjoy them.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #84 on: Mar 07, 2019, 07:51 PM »
My dad handles the butchering at his parent's house when he was growing up, and he never liked chicken.  My mom took care of it when she was at her Grandparents farm, didn't bother her, but her mother cooked all kinds of things that my Grandfather brought home (woodchuck, muskrat, fox, etc.)  There was this thing called the Great Depression going on, and they made do with what they could get.   Both described the same method for chicken, grab it by the head, lay it over the block and take the head off with a smooth axe stroke, then let the chicken run around until it fell over, which meant it had bled out.  Then start with the plucking and pin feathering!

ate many a muskrat growing up both in stew and parboiled then fried  ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #85 on: Mar 07, 2019, 08:53 PM »
lobster crabs clams mussels oysters  .......many   ripped open and eaten raw

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #86 on: Mar 08, 2019, 05:35 AM »

Trapp
Stop throwing living creatures in boiling water
 And check your phone 😜

FrankM

« Reply #87 on: Mar 08, 2019, 08:38 AM »
If the filet goes into the pan while it's still quivering it is as fresh as it can be.
I remember one time I had a plate of bullheads breaded and ready for the pan and one started moving its tail. My wife freaked out.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Mar 08, 2019, 09:38 AM »
I always give any fish I keep a whack/stab to the brain, and usually bleed them after too.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #89 on: Mar 08, 2019, 12:37 PM »

Fresh frog legs in a pan do some jerking

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.