New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: New guy from Orange County NY  (Read 6940 times)

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
New guy from Orange County NY
« on: Dec 12, 2005, 09:36 PM »
Do most of my fishing in Sullivan County. Sounds like most of you are from up north.
👮👮👮

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New guy from Orange County NY
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2005, 10:25 PM »
i am also from orange county, i also do some fishing up in sullivan county . i also do some fishing down in n.j.       maybe some weekend we can hook up and do some fishing when the ice is safe.                                                                                         walt

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2005, 10:28 PM »
Cool, do you do the King of the Ice tourney on White Lake? or the Monticello FD tourney?
👮👮👮

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2005, 10:37 PM »
i did the white lake contest once. guys were coming in with fish that were frozen caught from some other lake that they were letting them way into the contest so i never went back to another contest. where is the monticello f.d. tourney held?

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2005, 10:44 PM »
It slips my mind at this moment,  ??? but its a private lake that they have access to. I'll find out the details for this year and post it here.
👮👮👮

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2005, 10:51 PM »
WAS IT HELD AT WOLF LAKE? I WANTED TO GO TO THE ONE AT WOLF LAKE LAST YEAR BUT I WENT TO SACCANDAGA LAKE (THE DEAD SEA) THAT WEEKEND. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME THAT WAS.

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2005, 11:36 PM »
No it wasn't Wolf lake. I missed that one too, had to work. Wolf and Yankee lakes is were I do most of my fishing. You know folks up there?
👮👮👮

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2005, 04:48 AM »
Welcome to the board.  Don't forget to sign up for the tourney.

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2005, 05:51 AM »
Welcome to the board! I am from Dutchess County so perhaps we can meet at one of the hard water spots. I usually fish Dutchess, Putnam, Westchester, and Columbia counties. tight lines! stay on top!

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2005, 06:25 AM »
Welcome and enjoy ;D

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2005, 06:29 AM »
Wolfpack,

Welcome to "Iceshanty" and nice to see another Orange County Ice Fisher.  I'm right here in Newburgh and fish numerous lakes in Sullivan, Orange, Ulster counties and travel to NJ, Maine, Vermont in pursuit of those wonderful finned fishes.  I spent last weekend searching for safe Ice and will be on a lake this weekend..... somewhere!!  There will be Ice somewhere between here and the Great Slave Lake and I'll be on it.. ;D

There's a few Hardwater Fishers here in the area and I look forward to meeting you all.  Have to have a gathering so everyone can meet.  Who's game,

Tight Lines all,
Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline alruner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:47 AM »
NFA Grad here... class of 62' 

Did you Orange County guys ever fish Tomahawk Lake..?  I fished it years ago when I lived in that area..  I hear it's totally private now with no ice fishing allowed..The perch fishing was outstanding ! 

Al..

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2005, 08:06 AM »
Al,
Which Tomahawk Lake you talking about?  Maybe changed names or something, or I have the Idiot costume on...LOL.

Steve

JasonUpstate

« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:12 AM »
I think tomahawk is totally private now...

But yeah, welcome to orange county! I do most of my fishing up in sullivan.. I like greenwood, but it sometimes gets too crowded... and the fishin has been off over there...

Offline alruner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:26 AM »
Al,
Which Tomahawk Lake you talking about?  Maybe changed names or something, or I have the Idiot costume on...LOL.

Steve

Steve,

Tomahawk Lake between Washingtonville and Chester off Rte 94..  It has been private for as long as I can recall, but I had permission via a friend who knew a property owner.  I've heard that ice fishing is just not allowed any more.  If that's not correct, it would be worth just knocking on doors to get permission.  Fishing was "that" good!!!

Al..

Offline HomerJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:30 AM »
Yeah i was wondering about any good (public) fishing spots in orange or sullivan. I work for a surveyor and i see alot of GOOD fishing spots but they are all private.  Ill be looking to do alot of fishing in dec and jan if there is ice. I know a coulple of summer camps that shut down in the winter with big fish and i was almost thinking of going fishing on them until i get kicked off (or arrested) but it could be worth it.   

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2005, 11:42 AM »
Beermaster,
The rule ....it's easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission doesn't apply to trespassing, especially if the Land Owner is adamant about it.  Criminal trespass could get expensive in legal fee's.  But I knew you were only kidding about it.  Lots of outstanding areas to fish around here.

Steve

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2005, 02:44 PM »
im from orange county!!! welcome aboard um i curently live in rockland now but i no some lakes up there that might hold some fish wink wink  ;) lol um might want to try little dam and rio dam there are some lakes by highland falls but i dont no if u have to be a resident or what not! anywayz another lake is chadwick lake its located in newburgh not the city the town  um ill look up some other ones for u  later

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline timster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2005, 04:09 PM »
Welcome aboard  ;D I'm here in Sullivan,went on a short joy ride this afternoon with my helper we just mite be on the ice this weekend ;) ;)
Steve a local get together sound great,give me a call I'll help out.
Timster

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2005, 05:30 PM »
chadwick lake you need a permit. there are 2 different fee's for residents & nonresidents also you cant ice fish it until around 7:00 or 8:OO in the morning. timster, did you check home much ice was on any of the lakes? lake supior usually freezes up fast. walt

Offline timster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2005, 08:22 PM »
Walt;
Went by Masten Lake and was working on Yankee Lake this afternoon.
Some iffy spots from the wind,no sign of life on the ice yet ???
By the way the wind comming off of Yankee was not enjoyable ::)(working outside)
Timster

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:26 PM »
timster thanks for the reply. maybe i'll play it safe & wait until next weekend before i venture out.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2005, 12:02 AM »
Welcome Aboard The Shanty!! 
My crew consists of two guys from Long Island, one from Orange, one from Westchester, one from NJ.  We fish mostly Westchester/Putnam/Dutchess/Sullivan.  This year one of the guys bought a house at Greenwood, so I suppose we'll be up there quite often.
Always looking for "new blood" to fish with in the "Southern-Zone" since most of the guys on here are from the "Great White North", so keep intouch and maybe we can get together this Winter.
The King of The Ice contest really sucks -- little or no fish, cheating by the locals, etc.   It's really not worth your time.

IceBalls

Offline IcefishrNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:04 AM »
Welcome to the board!!

I fish all over Sullivan County too. I know some folks from Wolf and Yankee Lakes as well as Monticello. Looking forward to this years season  and hopefully a few more get-togethers. Met a bunch of super nice guys last year. Keep in touch!!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:20 AM »
The King of The Ice contest really sucks -- little or no fish, cheating by the locals, etc.   It's really not worth your time.
IceBalls

Hey Guys and welcome Wolf. I could not agree more with the above quote!
Fished it for the last time last year and can't understand why it draws such a crowd.
I don't fish for the prize and could care less but I sure would like to catch one of those Lock Jawed Lakers thru a hole.
I will try White lake a few times other then durring the contest as it is the closest to my home but never very productive. Does have some nice pearch and browns if you find the honey holes.
Swinging Bridge is dead this year. Masten, Yankee and Wolf are always good if you have permission, Likewise for Wanasink.
Think the Sullivan County Firemans contest is held on Morningside by the Terry-Brea Golf course near Hurleyville. I have never fished it but think they concentrate on doing for the kids so the typical cheats stay out.
I think any water connected to the Mongaup river is out this year due to the Swinging bridge dam problem and draining of the resevoir. It sure screwed up the trout fishing along the entire river this year.
I have not gone to Lake Huntington yet but hear it has legal trout fishing and some do pretty decent at times.
I don't think they are stocking Big & Little ponds like they used to and the fishing there has been off all year. Was there a number of times from shore and in the boat and got skunked every time. It used to be top knotch.
You can't fish any of the NYC resivoirs here and I would not want to any way. Snuck on once when much younger and the first hole had no water come up. It was three feet below the bottom of the ice and a rude awakening!!!
Might have to head south east this year and try the NYC resivoirs in Putnam, Dutchess with Ice Balls and his crew. We had a nice outing on Big Pond last year but not much in the line of catching fish.
Might also do a couple trips north this season to try the big waters, George and Otsego for Lakers and Salmon.
It is getting tougher every year around these parts and we have to travel to find good places.
The guys up north have it made in that respect!
It would be great to find someone from this area with a cabin up on one of the big lakes and do a week end get together.
Minus 12 here in Sullivan county last night and still below zero at 10:AM so we are making ice quick and I am sure there will be safe fishing this week end on most of the smaller lakes. We did get a foot of snow last week and an ice storm is predicted for thursday night.
I have not been on the ice yet but plan to do some scouting this week.
Will report back if I get out.
Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2005, 03:05 PM »
Hey -- IceFishr and Gamalot:

Great meeting you guys last year on Big Pond and hope we can all get together again this season.  You are always welcome to join me and my crew on the NYC reservoirs in Westchester/Putnam.  It's aways a party-day whether we catch fish or not!!

One of our guys has a house in Yulan, NY (abt. 20 mins. from White Lake, Superior, etc. so weekends are a definite possibilty).

Keep in touch..... let's hav a great Winter!!!!

IceBalls

Offline timster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2005, 04:12 PM »
Hey IceBalls & Gamalot; your so right about king of the ice,I stopped going about 5 years ago.Swingingbride was never very productive!!White Lake is so so you never know ???
Gary have you ever fished the Basherkill? I wanted to go down after work this week but w/the snow I'm not going to try with my van(mama has the 4x4 that's inspected)and it's all down hill were we go. :thumbsup:
A sullivan get together sounds good on this end,im me or email and between all of us we can come up with something ;D
Tight lines Timster  PS -11 in Summitville this am  :clap:

JasonUpstate

« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:52 PM »
IceBalls

Hey Guys and welcome Wolf. I could not agree more with the above quote!
Fished it for the last time last year and can't understand why it draws such a crowd.
I don't fish for the prize and could care less but I sure would like to catch one of those Lock Jawed Lakers thru a hole.
I will try White lake a few times other then durring the contest as it is the closest to my home but never very productive. Does have some nice pearch and browns if you find the honey holes.
Swinging Bridge is dead this year. Masten, Yankee and Wolf are always good if you have permission, Likewise for Wanasink.
Think the Sullivan County Firemans contest is held on Morningside by the Terry-Brea Golf course near Hurleyville. I have never fished it but think they concentrate on doing for the kids so the typical cheats stay out.
I think any water connected to the Mongaup river is out this year due to the Swinging bridge dam problem and draining of the resevoir. It sure screwed up the trout fishing along the entire river this year.
I have not gone to Lake Huntington yet but hear it has legal trout fishing and some do pretty decent at times.
I don't think they are stocking Big & Little ponds like they used to and the fishing there has been off all year. Was there a number of times from shore and in the boat and got skunked every time. It used to be top knotch.
You can't fish any of the NYC resivoirs here and I would not want to any way. Snuck on once when much younger and the first hole had no water come up. It was three feet below the bottom of the ice and a rude awakening!!!
Might have to head south east this year and try the NYC resivoirs in Putnam, Dutchess with Ice Balls and his crew. We had a nice outing on Big Pond last year but not much in the line of catching fish.
Might also do a couple trips north this season to try the big waters, George and Otsego for Lakers and Salmon.
It is getting tougher every year around these parts and we have to travel to find good places.
The guys up north have it made in that respect!
It would be great to find someone from this area with a cabin up on one of the big lakes and do a week end get together.
Minus 12 here in Sullivan county last night and still below zero at 10:AM so we are making ice quick and I am sure there will be safe fishing this week end on most of the smaller lakes. We did get a foot of snow last week and an ice storm is predicted for thursday night.
I have not been on the ice yet but plan to do some scouting this week.
Will report back if I get out.
Gary

Howdy gamalot... Good to see you again this season on the board. I'm going to go scouting this weekend around the lakes up there... gunna check out supieror and what not...

Hopefully this ice season will be longer then last years..

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2005, 06:44 AM »
Hey ALL,
A get together is definately a must do this year.  With the temps you guys in Sullivan are getting I would almost bet the farm that there is safe Ice on Lake Superior.  A couple of lakes in my immediate area have 3 inches or so on them as of tuesday night and it only made more these past couple nights.  A little honey hole I know of has a verified 5+ inches on it of solid black ice. 

It is here gentlemen.......Start your Jiggin'

Steve

Timster, give me a call or PM.

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:50 AM »
I just got back from White Pond (Putnam/Dutchess boarder) and it has 5+" of solid ice!!!! Iceballs I expect to see you out there soon!
Tight lines and stay on top!
John

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.