Author Topic: Finally Finished... Phase One of my Otter Mini Sled Rack.  (Read 69543 times)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
Hi All....
I LOVE my Otter 2 mini Ice sled,   and  for several reasons...
- They way they built it,it is very very strong for it's size. ( very thick bottom)
- It can fit in the back of most closed in vehicles.( well small SUV"S now I guess) ( before the rack it was some cars)
- It is easy to pull. ( before the Rack and now just as easy after the slides put on the bottom )
- AND the most important thing of all is.....  I  will never ever will carry anything on my Back again...LOL The rack is  even more important  now since I bought a 24 lb Ice tent this fall... and it lets me haul other people's stuff now even more..( why should they have to carry there things)

I JUST had to make a few  changes on it to suit me...  :)

First thing the WIFE SAID when she saw the  CAMO DUCT Tape... was .... " Ya know your a Redneck When!....."
All my fishing friends said when I pulled out the back of the Small SUV was... " Oh My Gawd " and Laughed...  ;D
I have been thinking of this build all summer.. and really wanted to use PVC. When I saw the Rod holder that " TubDude" built
and posted for us all. I started on the rod rack ... then I  could not stop thinking about more.. PVC for the rack. had some thoughts of it all summer. BUT when I saw pics of the older Sled that Bart built, when a diff style of PVC that gave the courage to try this one. :)

Here are some Pics of My Revamped " Otter Two Mini Ice sled" ( Phase one is now complete...LOL)

Take care ... Have fun on the Ice and with all those around you....AltaIce  ( Hope these pics work. )

" I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
Re: Finally Finished... Phase One of my Otter Mini Sled Rack.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:12 PM »
A Few more.. different Views..

Offline JFK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:19 PM »
Great Job AltaIce, looks like a Fish slaying machine. :)

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:24 PM »
love the sled but just gotta know , do you own some stock in/on the skimmer company?  ;D :o ???

Offline fishhunter77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:27 PM »
Great craftmanship. :)  You should go on the Dragon's Den and Market it.  I am sure you would sell a few. :tipup:

Offline IceAnvil

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Gone Fishing"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:29 PM »
That is a great Idea....

good on you!

~Gone Fishing~

Offline imgonnamissher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2010, 01:53 AM »
Nice sled. Compact, accessible and easy to handle. Good Job!
<*}}}><

:tipup: :icefish:
When Hell Freezes over........I'll Ice Fish there too!    <><   <*}}}><     <><   <>< <><

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:47 AM »
Looks good. All you need now is a couple of dogs and a place to stand and ur laughing. Great Job!
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline Rumtan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:55 AM »
That really is impressive.....thank you for posting pics, makes everything seem so compact and accessible.  Now you will just have to get everyone to quit asking to borrow it.

Offline eyesonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2010, 09:48 AM »
AltaIce, I bow to you on the job you have done. You are now my new hero. The thoughts are just racing through my head on what I could do. Thank you for sharing. :tipup:
FLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA;

Offline Madmanmerc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2010, 10:08 AM »
New to board and very first reply, excellent job AltaIce hope to see you no the ice some day.
Smile, it's a good day!

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2010, 10:14 AM »
Very nice! Looks like a well thought out and executed plan. Hope it serves you well.

Offline ULTRAlite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2010, 04:56 PM »
Great looking setup there... wow.  Was thinking of what to do with mine.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/cory_r_t/ablogo1xf11-1.gif[/img]     

VIDEO >> The 2010 Season Begins - EARLY ICE SESSION

Offline Wes_G

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2010, 07:54 PM »
Whats the orange marker buoy for while icefishing?

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:15 PM »
WoW!!  Thanks for all the good notes.
I honestly thought I would get way way more laughs than anything else..(LOL).

Hi "JFK" Sir it may look like a slaying machine... but I'm far from a fish slayer .. ;D ( I have a lot to learn and I guess have to get out
way more often to improve my fishing skills.

Thanks " Fishhunter 77".. Not to sure about the Dragon's den .(L).. but I did have a blast making it and remaking it and then remaking it...LOL..
I did not glue till the very end.. every time I went back to work on it I changed something.. Until I had to make a stop to that and glue it all up.  This was or is " PHASE ONE ".. Phase two .. .all ready in the works.  ;D LOL...

Thanks " IceAnvill" , rumtan, Eyesonice, Madmanmerc, Mud_n_fun, and ULTRAlite.
Thank you all very much...

LOL.. Yes your right Kim it does kinda look like a Dog Sled. I never thought of that until you and someone else said it...

Your right  "imgonnamissher" I find it this way... way better to get at every thing fast and easy. and your right it pulls nice.It has only been out once for a test drive..(L). and believe it or not it seemed to pull better this year than it did last year.. the true test was when I had to pull it over dry concrete and then some (skate) rubber mats . I put those new glide sliders on(can't remember the real name of the material ) and it Pulls way better .
As far as weight... so far I'm only 27 to maybe 30 lbs heavier than last year... as I got a new 3-person Ice tent this year so right off the back it added 24 lbs to it all.
I knew at the last of last year I would be buying a ice tent , and I knew that would have to followed with heaters, propane stove( which I always took the stove anyways and pans for its use )  All bungee'd down. I have always wanted or needed to bring the hard chairs for height ( have not been able to use or enjoy the Tri-pod chairs at all . And when anyone that came with me ... of course I would throw there stuff on top of mine.. I hate to carry anything.. why would I make my friends carry there stuff.. (LOL)

You have to understand, all my life I have tended to bring way way to much stuff but as I was growing up all my friends would forget something ( camping) if i left it up to them to bring it....LOL so I found it was to much of a hassle to expect them to remember.. ( not That i have not forgot the import things at the time of need)

(( If anyone was interested... It ( the Moose ) was made out of 3/4" and 1/2" PVC pipe... But I knew I had to make it stronger and more secure so on ever piece of pipe that is over 4" long I have lengths of a  light weight " Alum mix pot metal " about 5'16" diameter and 1/4" mteal pipe inside the 1/2" PVC.... as it sits it is pretty sturdy.. I have leaned on it in places with all of my weight and it did not bend in the long parts.))

Hey Man... sorry to Blab On... ( Wife has always told me that I can't tell a short Story...LOL)

Any ways thanks again for your good words..

You all take care and enjoy the ICE and all those around you.. Tight lines

AltaIce...

(( Hey ULTRAlite... what type of sled are you a pulling?? ))  or anyone else for that matter??..  :) 

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:16 PM »
 ;D  LMAO... Sorry it was so long... I guess number one reason I don't
type on here much... LOL..
sorry once again it was so flipping long...LOL

later all..

AltaIce. :)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:28 PM »
Hey    Wes G.

The Orange Marker is a safety device, one that I hope I never have to use.
Your right it is a floating buoy.( I put a little wieght to it)  I have it tied to a 5/16”- 50 foot Nylon. If you look at the two hooks that it wrapped around holding it in place. The hook on the right ( the with the safety reflector on, can be grabbed, then slightly turned and pulled off to allow the whole rope to be pulled off at once. ( With out be unwrapped by hand ) . I tested in the street in front of our house.... and YUP I think the neighbors thought I was NUTS... LOL. ( but only because there was no one to save..(L))
Long story short if by chance someone does fall through the ICE. If all works out the idea is that I might be able to throw someone some rope to help them. I saw the idea on “ Bob D’s” picture of his sled and thought it was a excellent idea.

AltaIce

Offline oldtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Tight Lines"
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:32 PM »
What an excellent idea, and nice sled too! Hats off to you sir ;)

Offline Badback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:50 PM »
That is a good looking set up...Lots of thought went into it...Good job....

David

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:03 PM »
Thanks " Oldtrout".. and "Badback".

Someone before asked how it fit in my vehicle.. Here is pic of thrown in fast. (I tied it in later)
and a diff rear shot.

Thanks again...

AtltaIce.... be safe.

Offline the local angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:07 PM »
great job on the sled man with so many creative fisherperson on here maybe this is like an invitation to a ultimate fishing sled contest. stainless steel tim allen grunt oh oh oh. lol

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:26 PM »
Thanks " the Local angler"

and no Sir.. no need for a contest, because your right there a mess full of very very talented and Creative people on here... Sir that is what makes Iceshanty work so well and it is popular for a reason....  The people in here are very Creative and show there Love for a sport that some can not understand.

I have so much more to learn about ICE Fishing ( and I know I have to get out on the ICE  to get better...LOL)
I have had talks with folks in here that have taught me stuff and told stories, and that has helped me.

That fact that  the folks in here are willing to share and show there ideas is very much a eye opener to me and that is very refreshing ... I'm looking forward to see the next up and coming sleds and projects made for the purpose they need it to fill.... as I have looked at the ones that we have already had in here.... EVERY sled or ice fishing invention is made for a reason and holds it own usefulness.
The best thing about the things we make... no matter how funny they may look to others or what they are made of or what they may or may not cost...
They are used by people that enjoy using them at a sport that is pretty COOL.

AND your right a Stainless Steel Rack would be Awesome.. but not to sure about the weight Grunt oh oh oh...LOL.

Take Care..... Tight lines and Great projects.

AltaIce
    8)

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Could you post a few close up pics of the pvc rod holders at the back, very good idea.

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:16 PM »
AltaIce
 Well said.

Fish on!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:44 PM »
Thanks " IcePack"

Meant what I said Sir...... and your Sled is a fine example of the pure talent and creativity that is among us... I just Glued some Plastic PVC pieces together ( no big deal ).......... You..... you my friend made something from  pure Scratch and a idea. your wood work is awesome. ( and the built in  wind break is a great idea )

Yes Fish on....    Tight lines as they say :)

AltaIce

Offline tchow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Great idea and nice Mods for the Sled. Now all you need is a small Trailer and a Quad and you'll be set.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:10 PM »
Hi Kyle...
Yes I agree... it is a wicked Rod Holder....

It was designed By a fellow that is Called the  " TubeDude" he is on Big Fish Tackle.. He is Fly fishermen that is from Utah and man you have to see his PVC ideas and what he has made for float tubes and pontoon boats they are wild..

I'll try to put up the ULR's for the Rod holder I made of his... It is what helped put the bug in me once I put it together with his directions. ( and that I saw What " Bart" made and that convinced me that PVC can work..

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=32584

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=32585

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=32587

Regards...

( let me know if they do not work )

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:17 AM »
Hi " tchow"
Maybe this is a closer shot.

Offline TravIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:39 AM »
PVC is a great product to work with, and you did a nice job on your sled.  Thanks for posting a closeup of the rod holder, as I've been thinking about making one for myself, now I have something to go by.  :)

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2010, 06:25 PM »
PVC is a great product to work with, and you did a nice job on your sled.  Thanks for posting a closeup of the rod holder, as I've been thinking about making one for myself, now I have something to go by.  :)

Yes I agree TravIce.   I'm having a blast working with the PVC... All Fun and Games Until the WIFE sees the bill....( ha , ha , ha , ha,)
No prob on the close up.. like I have said before.. I just built.. it was " Tube"Dude" who designed it and made it work.. I really like it also..  :)

I'm taking the same concept and am adapting it for another use also...

Can't wait to see yours.. go for it.. have fun with it man..

Tight lines...

8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.