Author Topic: Loomis  (Read 15170 times)

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
Loomis
« on: Dec 31, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Got out on Loomis this morning and caught a few decent crappie, at least I can get a filet from them. Probably 7-8 other guys in the area and no one was killing them. I started being able to bring them off the bottom to hit and that was fun. Caught them on a chartruese glow jig tipped with a red and white spike. The edges of the lake are still a bit iffy.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Loomis 12-31-07
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2007, 11:53 AM »
Nice job, got a friend and son heading to Long or Loomis as we type.
Good eats
Tom

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2007, 02:20 PM »
The crappie are running awfully small this year!! C-ya. Crappie Rob.
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline FOOTDOC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2007, 07:50 PM »
About 4 weeks ago, during open water, I anchored a small boat about 150 yards in front of the beach and caught crappies non stop using perch rigs with two hooks and a bell sinker in 14' of water.  I must have caught and released 75 crappies that day and can verify they were all around 5 - 6 inches.  Hopefully, they are not stunted and the future is good.   I even caught one of my wallies that day - a 16" - and slipped it back in!

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2007, 08:02 PM »
           Hey Doc, I have been trying to catch one of your mooneyes for a while.No luck yet. I wish we had some over on Long ,I fish it a lot more than Loomis. Maybe a few will sneak through the channel form Flint into Long, I fish it the most. Thanks again for stocking them.      High Flags
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2007, 08:03 PM »
Thanks for update Doc, and for what you have done.
Tom
Tom

Offline tarantula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2008, 02:33 PM »
with the quanity i have seen being caught on loomis
i would use an educated guess and say yes the
crappie are very stunted in that lake. i talked to
one guy over the weekend and he said he has caught
around 400 the last couple weeks which i dont
find that to hard to believe.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2008, 02:55 PM »
keep in mind 3 yrs ago we had open water and the worst ice i can remember! how many "extra" crappie survived to spawn. I know there were almost no crappie taken for all of feb and most of march on alot of lakes.  wouldn't those offspring fish be about 6-8 inches? i am no way a biologist but we are seeing the same thing on wawasee and a couple other lakes that get hammered when there is ice . not so much stunted but a super strong year class.
just my thoughts
A
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2008, 05:20 PM »
If Doc keeps andding those Walleye they can eat up those small crappie and all is good.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline FOOTDOC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2008, 07:35 PM »
I am sorry to say we added no walleye this year.  This is the first year we have missed in the last 5.  When we started, 2 buddies and myself, the fish were about a buck a piece and came from Minnesota.  We put 2000 6-9" walleyes per year with about 1500 going to Flint and 500 going to Loomis each year.  I would think the flint population would migrate at times to Long.  Now the fish are about $3 a piece and difficult to find.  We will look again this year, 2008 and hopefully get this thing going again.  All 3 of us just thought it was a cool thing to do for the valpo chain and felt the population of little perch in flint/long could support the walleye with no problem.  We decided to include Loomis because of the park and the number of people that use the park.  It never hurts to try to expose people to walleye fishing.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2008, 08:16 PM »
Way to go doc. that is a great thing you are doing. stocking eyes in the chain. I caught a couple a couple of years ago. They were to small so I put them back. They should be table fare by now. How are these fish doing on the reproduction cycle. Do you know, being from foreign waters. I know that sometimes it is hard to reproduce without flowing water gravel or rocks. Cant wait to get on Loomis.
Maybe tomorrow.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:31 AM »
Post it next year Doc and I'm sure there will be alot of other folks as well as myself that would glady pitch in.
Wallin
Tom

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2008, 04:50 AM »
Got out to Loomis for a couple hrs yesterday during the day so it wasn't the best time to be out but got my fix. Caught one keeper crappie and was steadily marking fish. Frozen snow and slush on top of ice but seems stable. Several other guys out too. Wonder what the predicted rain will do????

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Loomis
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2008, 07:27 PM »
Today at Loomis  I caught 50 total,  kept 23 gills 7 crappies. Here is some of my catch.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2008, 07:34 PM »
I fished in the center of the lake. 10 ft deep right on the bottom. the bite was good all day. I talked to a guy on the way out he said he had taken 6 walleye so far this year the biggest was 25".

Offline Jeffro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2008, 07:36 PM »
Nice job, High_Flags! Seems like I always am unavailable on the good days...
God Bless the USA and all those who serve in her Armed Forces...

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2008, 07:39 PM »
Hey Jeffro, I hope to have a few more of those days this year by mother nature may have a different idea.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2008, 07:41 PM »
The ICE on loomis is getting real bad. Only 3 to 4 inches and its got water laying on top making it very soft.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2008, 08:10 PM »
Just got off Loomis. The ice where I was at was less than 2 inches of good ice with 1-1/2 inches bad, with 1-1/2 inches of water ontop. May be thicker in the cove. I couldnt bring myself to stay any longer bath day isnt until Sunday. I do have one other spot I am forced to try in the morning. Suppose to still have 5-6 inches I hope so.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2008, 12:32 PM »
Has anyone had a chance to check out Loomis lately? I was wanting to know how the ice was straight out from the beach 150 yards out 10-15 fow. Thanks, Hopefully I can fish there on Wednesday, like I am planning. Any reports greatly appreciated. Thanks, Al

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2008, 01:17 PM »
Fished Loomis last nite. As soon as we got there the bites were hot. Tried the bay because out from the beach was only 3 inches. I was planning a long nite and with 2 big boys in my warm shanty I decided I needed 4 inches or better. We caught 25 and missed another 25 or so. Where did all the large crappies go. I dont think we got any over 8 1/2 inches. It was fun though. Fresh crappies off the ice good eats. I am hoping that come Saturday there will be another inch out from the beach area. That is where I will be. Hope to see all you, stop by and say hi.

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2008, 11:50 PM »
Made the hike to the back bay caught one small speck.  Noone seemed to be getting any was there from 7:00 till 11:00. one guy clamed to have gotten 12. maybee 2marrow!
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2008, 08:58 PM »
Got out on Loomis for the evening bite with a friend. Caught a few!!

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2008, 09:51 PM »
Got out on Loomis from about 3 pm till 8pm. Kept 17 crappies and 2 gills. Bite was real aggresive and died off after dark. Opposite from what i thought. Good day, took the wife. Taking the 5 year old to the slough 2-moro. Wife wanted to share time with my marcum. Man, I hate fishing without it now that i have it.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2008, 07:57 PM »
Went to Loomis yesterday and caught 31 fish between 3 of us. 1 perch 1 gill, the rest small crappies. The largest was probably a bit over 8 inches. Had a eye on but got off. I will be trying a different place next time, trying to find the larger fish. I know they are out there. Maybe in the DEEP HOLE.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:43 PM »
There must of been 75 guys fishing there yesterday. The most I have ever seen on Loomis. The word travels quick.

Offline purduebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:51 PM »
I'm not sure if word travels fast, or the fact that it is one of two lakes that you can fish in valpo any longer.  It's nearly impossible to get on flint, wauhob, or mink any longer.  :'(
BOILER UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2008, 01:56 AM »
I got small crappie from Loomis and some small gills from the Slough. Gave me an excuse to scale them like  my dad always did. Now i got fish for Sunday and they will have crispy fins on them, the best part!!!! :)

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2008, 12:28 AM »
I have a hard time believing the Crappie are stunted.  I think we are just seeing the results of a good brood of new fish.  Last year I certainly caught many fish over the 10 inch mark and tossed back any crappie under 8".  I think its safe too keep the ones (even smaller) that you'll eat, but I also think this shows that the future crappie fishing on loomis is promising!  Those 5-6 inchers this year will surely be 8-9 next year.
Carp

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:27 AM »
Was wondering what is the gill population and size like here in Loomis. I know everyone catches the crappies and an occasional eye. But, I was wondering if anyone targets those fisty gills and what size are you catching. Was wanting to try it again tonight.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.