Author Topic: Willow Slough  (Read 15445 times)

Offline hunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Willow Slough
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2007, 04:25 PM »
not really sure if its as much a spring as it is just a stronger underwater current that makes the ice in spots out in the flats off the hill less thick. but their seems to be a few spots in the years past  (pre-draining) where their would be quite a bit less ice then the rest of the lake. as long as you just keep an I on the ice your walking on you should be fine, and with as much ice that is their now I wouldn't worry about it to much. I haven't checked it since last sunday but their was a good 4 1/2 to 5" then and with the cold we are having this week I would say by the weekend their should be 6 to 7".

Offline Brmcc74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:03 PM »

Finally got out to the slough. Two fish shy of my limit. Mostly 7 inchers with a few over 8". Ice is good, near 5". We were out there all day, but was worth it.

Offline hunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 02, 2007, 08:59 AM »
Nice mess of fish Brmcc74, did you catch them off the hill? It should be getting better every day now. going to be some real Hogs here in another year

Offline fishingmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Eat...Sleep
« Reply #33 on: Feb 02, 2007, 06:01 PM »
Watch out for the ice by the main ditch off the hill, I was told that a woman broke through Thursday afternoon.  She only went in up to her knees, but still some thin ice back there.

Devan's first Large Mouth        Skilar's first Large Mouth through the ice
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day...Teach him to fish, feed him for a life time...
In Loving Memory of Roy H. Leach Sr., 3/14/4

Offline Brmcc74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 02, 2007, 09:43 PM »
We fished straight out from the office.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 03, 2007, 09:42 AM »
Anybody going to be out there this weekend?  I was thinking of coming down.  It's been a couple years since I've been down there!  Anyone still pulling gils??

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 03, 2007, 09:53 AM »
I wont be there tomorrow, but i'll be out somewhere!
Tried it there at the slough last sunday after reading the good reports, talked to several guys out on the main part by the hdqrtrs and they were gonna try elsewhere since it was so slow there, heard about and saw a bunch out by mormon hills, so headed there. close to a doz guys there before we hit the ice , and heard it was slow there too upon arriving, tried our best from about 8 till 1 and didnt even see a fish on either camera, heard of only 3 caught between all those guys.

Offline Pitcherbeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 05, 2007, 04:36 PM »
Anyone doing any good up there recently with this cold snap? I'm trying to decide where to go this weekend, Summit/Prarie Creek(2 hr drive) or Willow Slough(1 hr)!
Women want me, fish fear me!

Offline Any Luc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 07, 2007, 09:45 PM »
We fished the reeds off Mormon Hill on Sunday.
Sightfished in 4 1/2 foot of water and stayed busy more than not.
Fish would come in and out but bit well while in our zones.
Fish bit on darts well and it seemed to me that spike or waxie tipped jigs produced better than the plastics this time out. 

Offline hunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 12, 2007, 02:24 PM »
any body make it out this pass weekend? I havnt had a chance to fish over the last 2 weekends wanting to go out this weekend if things work out. just wanting to know if they are still hitting or if thay have slowed down.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #40 on: Feb 12, 2007, 04:22 PM »
Out on Sunday.  Sight fished in the shanty @ about 3 1/2' to 4 1/2'.  On the move.  2-3 fish, then nothing.  Have to stay on them.

Offline fishingmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Eat...Sleep
« Reply #41 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:50 PM »
Got my wife on the ice for the first time in her life Saturday.  Fished from 4:00 p.m. till 5:30 p.m.  She caught 1 crappie 10" and 4 blue gill, I only caught 2 blue gill.  Sunday fished from 1:00 p.m. till 4:30 p.m. only caught 3 blue gill.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day...Teach him to fish, feed him for a life time...

Offline slipbobber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #42 on: Feb 12, 2007, 09:17 PM »
went out this evening about 3:30 till 5:15 caught about 20 only kept  4.fished out of mormon hill area a lot of people there when i got there.

Offline alvanwie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 12, 2007, 10:37 PM »
Fished Saturday from about 2:00pm to 5:30pm. Caught about 30 gills but only kept about 10 which were 7.5" to 8".

One thing I notice was there was several places where there was a bunch of small gills left laying on the ice. I don't know why someone would leave them laying on the ice. If you do not intend to keep them please put them back. Just gives us all a bad name.

Al

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 14, 2007, 06:47 PM »
Alot of A-holes do that ..the freakin place was just restocked ..whats the matter with people? :(

Offline bowbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:34 AM »
yea i heared THE slough was doing good i havent been there in a  few years since  before they drained it!!
a freind of mine  went to the slough on sat and he said sh#t  you wouldnt believe how many a h*les were there. said the whole parking lot was filled  well i can see this lake once again will be destroyed from over fishing it,and the garbage, that the guys leave behind, and not to mention the little fish these guys keep out of  this lake .anyways my buddy  said they caught a bunch of blue gills and bass >>so the lake i guess is flurishing i guess for now !!  i may try the slough this weekend only cause my buddy wants to go but i sure hope i dont get into a fight with some aH*LE  because of there stupidity!! >:(
 but SERIOUSLY the mess that people leave there and the amount of small fish taken out by fisherman at the slough make me sick >:(!!!! this is why i stopeD going there and also because they closed it for a couple years for dredging the lake !!!

Offline Brmcc74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2007, 02:49 PM »
The throwing of small fish on the ice is stupidity. The only time I agree with this is when the owner of the property  requetsts this. This usually occurs after years of continued dinks, but still thats only private property. As was stated,this was just restocked.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #47 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:13 PM »
I know this was a requested practice years ago there.  Not needed now I guess....
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #48 on: Feb 15, 2007, 04:21 PM »
yea i heared THE slough was doing good i havent been there in a  few years since  before they drained it!!
a freind of mine  went to the slough on sat and he said sh#t  you wouldnt believe how many a h*les were there. said the whole parking lot was filled  well i can see this lake once again will be destroyed from over fishing it,and the garbage, that the guys leave behind, and not to mention the little fish these guys keep out of  this lake .anyways my buddy  said they caught a bunch of blue gills and bass >>so the lake i guess is flurishing i guess for now !!  i may try the slough this weekend only cause my buddy wants to go but i sure hope i dont get into a fight with some aH*LE  because of there stupidity!! >:(
 but SERIOUSLY the mess that people leave there and the amount of small fish taken out by fisherman at the slough make me sick >:(!!!! this is why i stopeD going there and also because they closed it for a couple years for dredging the lake !!!

I know what you mean about the garbage.  I went there last Sat for a couple hours, & I picked up trash blowing around on the way out, & in.  I know others walked right past it both times, because it was right on some of the main paths going out there.  Makes me sick.  What is the matter with people.  Glad to see there are others that feel the same as me so I'm not alone in this!

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 15, 2007, 07:00 PM »
but SERIOUSLY the mess that people leave there and the amount of small fish taken out by fisherman at the slough make me sick >:(!!!!

White trash happens, unfortunately!   >:(
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline bowbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:26 AM »
yea ill prob be going there this sun! im sure ill see THOSE @SS h*LES  :  and im sure i will be getting upset but i hope i catch a few !! :tipup:

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #51 on: Feb 16, 2007, 01:27 PM »
I won't fish there but a tip for those that do. The limit is 25 gills i think. If you see someone throwing dinks on the ice these count as part of their limit. If they throw them on the ice and move to another hole it is called wanton waste as is also illegal.
call the check station or property manager. If not dealt with call a CO. At the least its a property infraction and they will be asked to leave. wanton waste is a state law.

Don't stand for others ruining your public water. The limit is in effect to help the lake. If "dink" management were needed they would lift the limit or use a slot. Its on a state property , those 4 inch gills they leave on the ice are your future 8 inchers.
just my thoughts.
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline icehoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #52 on: Feb 16, 2007, 03:17 PM »
Well Said A-Bomb  !!!!

Offline slipbobber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #53 on: Feb 16, 2007, 04:01 PM »
I know what you mean about the garbage.  I went there last Sat for a couple hours, & I picked up trash blowing around on the way out, & in.  I know others walked right past it both times, because it was right on some of the main paths going out there.  Makes me sick.  What is the matter with people.  Glad to see there are others that feel the same as me so I'm not alone in this!

Offline fishingmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Eat...Sleep
« Reply #54 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:37 PM »
I have not seen that much trash on the ice, try to stay away from the mass of people there.  But over the summer the wife and I took the grandson fishing, just off the pier by the HQ.  We picked up 4 plastic bags of trash, we didn't bring the bags, they were on the shore and in the water.  How hard is it to pick up your trash.  I don't throw any thing in the water or on the ice not even my cigarette butts, even try to get all my line if I get hung up, everything comes back home to be thrown away.

Offline fishingmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Eat...Sleep
« Reply #55 on: Feb 17, 2007, 07:24 PM »
Took my 14 year old son out today from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.(first time on the ice for him).  Caught 15 fish all together  3 bass all small, 11 gills and one 10" redear, only kept 10.  Had fun with him laughing and joking about the small ones he was catching :roflmao:. going to go out tomorrow with my wife again.  How has everyone else been doing?

Offline alvanwie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 17, 2007, 09:04 PM »
Fished this afternoon from about 2-5:00pm. Caught about 20 gills (kept 6) and 5 bass. The bass went up to about 13 inches.

Offline fishingmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Eat...Sleep
« Reply #57 on: Feb 18, 2007, 07:31 PM »
The wife and I got out today at 11:30 a.m. fished until 5:00 p.m.  Pretty slow, only 3 fish until 3:00.  Moved to a spot that I fished Saturday with my son.  They turned on about 4:00, brought home 21 keepers.  Caught them on Swedish pimples tipped with beemoth, and ice jigs tipped with beemoth.  All in all another good day on the ice.

Offline bowbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 20, 2007, 08:28 AM »
well went out to the slough  yesterday arrived about 2 pm drilled a few holes  and caught about 50 gills  18 were  keepers and one 27 in northern did better than i thought had consitant action  :tipup:

Offline littled62

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 219-670-9620
« Reply #59 on: Feb 20, 2007, 12:53 PM »
I got out there yesterday morning around 7, must have got 40 - 50 gills by noon when I left, only 2 were what I would call "keepers" and 3 small bass, tryed out the wifes new VPG she bought, so any time I can sit there and play with fish that much, even without keeping any, is well worth the gas from hammond and back  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.