Author Topic: limit on bulegll  (Read 8675 times)

Offline 2fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
limit on bulegll
« on: Mar 01, 2015, 08:38 AM »
was on missy yesterday and talk to 2 guys about the bite,which was very slow. me and my grandson caught 10,5 of those where keeps. From the bottom upto 4 feet under the ice. was told about new bulegill limit. Buy the way cant remember your user name, but thanks for the invite to guist. I desided not to go with all the snow. hope next week ice is still good. my grandson and i are going next weekend if it is.Did anyone do any good yesterday anywhere ??

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: limit on bulegll
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2015, 12:58 PM »
Gill limit is not law yet, but most likely coming sometime in 2015.

Offline aarogod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2015, 01:30 PM »
here's what they are proposing in terms of blue gills:

placing a 25-fish bag limit on sunfish (includes bluegill, redear, warmouth, pumpkinseed and others)

Offline 2fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:03 AM »
Thats good had me worried. Because two of the ponds I fish is badly over populated. Thats what I see happen if they do this !! A size limit would be better I believe.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:07 AM »
Thats good had me worried. Because two of the ponds I fish is badly over populated. Thats what I see happen if they do this !! A size limit would be better I belie(Image removed from quote.)ve.

The law will not apply to private ponds, if they are indeed private.

Offline 2fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:12 AM »
Thanks for the info Wax_worm

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:14 PM »
I personally don't see it happening in 2015...just my opinion though.   :-\
Duane

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2015, 10:55 AM »
I hope they put a limit on the needless taking of buckets of fish.  I can see taking 20 fish if a guy wants to feed his family and is to poor to feed them any other way.  but just so a guy can brag its silly. All I hear is how terrible the bite is all over the state this year.   Think just maybe people take to many fish.  Take to many large fish?  I think that contributes to it.  Between home owners weed killing and walleye clubs taking 500 big gills to stock there private pond ect... the 25 law needs to be in place because people wont do the right thing and limit themselves.  Look how well the bass population is doing now that the bass fisherman catch and release.  theres fish everywhere for them to catch all summer.  there is no fish except for shad that is a unlimited supply.
  I think the rule of 25 would be a good thing.   Just my 2 cents worth!
  a-Roc

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:00 AM »
I wonder how many panfish Tournaments are catch and release? ;)
Tom

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:43 AM »
I hope they put a limit on the needless taking of buckets of fish.  I can see taking 20 fish if a guy wants to feed his family and is to poor to feed them any other way.  but just so a guy can brag its silly. All I hear is how terrible the bite is all over the state this year.   Think just maybe people take to many fish.  Take to many large fish?  I think that contributes to it.  Between home owners weed killing and walleye clubs taking 500 big gills to stock there private pond ect... the 25 law needs to be in place because people wont do the right thing and limit themselves.  Look how well the bass population is doing now that the bass fisherman catch and release.  theres fish everywhere for them to catch all summer.  there is no fish except for shad that is a unlimited supply.
  a-Roc

All I can do is say WOW and shake my head after reading that.  How is keeping more than 20 fish needless?  What if the only time you panfish is in the winter and you want to put some in the freezer for future meals?  What if you give some away to people that can't ice fish?  If you keep more that 20 you are a poor bragger!   ::) ::)   As long as someone is eating them and no one is breaking the law, you have no gripe.  I have not seen 'needless' buckets of fish.  The piles you see are 3 or more people and come out to 30-40 a man for a full day of fishing.  I don't think that is excessive by any means.  And btw I am for the panfish limit but my reasons have zero to do with the number of fish caught thru the ice.

Offline purduebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:44 AM »
I hope no limit is introduced.  If they do place one, ill have to fish everyday so i can still take 9000 gills for the year!  Lol
BOILER UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2015, 12:04 PM »
  a-Roc

Look at how well the bass population is doing DA..... All the 12 inch shortie dinks everywhere. So many now there's lakes where they dropped the size limit it's so over populated. I can't even believe the state is asking for public opinion on the matter when most have no clue what it's about. It's as bad as the voting process we have now for politicians. Clueless people voting that can't even name the last three presidents by name. I think most people like you are using this season's tough bite on lack of fish when that has nothing to do with it what so ever. Fish don't have a set residency on any lake get out drill holes and look. The one trick pony days are over on most lakes. If you want to use a bobber in a hole goto Shakamak and catch as many as you care to clean. Instead you whine and cry about lack of fish when what your ready lacking is skill to find and catch fish. Your NAIFC past history proves that point but hey I'm sure they top anglers appreciate your donations. Learn and continue learning research maps try new tactics instead of being all butt hurt posting comments on people's fish pics. I know now what the DA truly stands for in Da Roc. Let the biologists that know something figure it out instead of the woe is me clueless anglers. The bass runts are a perfect example of what's going to happen on the majority of lakes.

Offline blackbear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2015, 12:16 PM »
If people would just put their fish pics in the picture section, so those who want to
see fish can see them. Then we would not have to go through this everytime slayer puts up a pic of a bucket full.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2015, 12:47 PM »
There must be a reason the state is heading towards a panfish limit. I don't believe it's just because public opinion is leaning that direction....something else is contributing also.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2015, 01:25 PM »
Let it be upto the biologists. I don't even know anything about bass. Waxworm Springbob and Slabgill would be good for a bass opinion because I don't fish for bass so if bass limits were brought up for public opinion a d I put my vote in I'd say slaughter the things. That being said they do great for harvesting little gills. Wasting our time with our personal opinions is just that. I'll leave it upto the experts and follow the laws  UT until it's changed I'm lambasting the whine over anyone trashing someone's fish pic post. I enjoy seeing guys success stories and it keeps me motivated to work for it. I could care less about the woe is me because I can't catch fish thread that's just part of fishing or it would be called catching. Thanks Mike for the bass text!

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2015, 01:32 PM »
Stinky, aren't you even a little curious as to the reasoning behind the proposed panfish limit?

Offline blackbear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2015, 01:43 PM »
I am still trying to figure out what a " bulegll " is

Offline MrHoosier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Let it be upto the biologists. I don't even know anything about bass. Waxworm Springbob and Slabgill would be good for a bass opinion because I don't fish for bass so if bass limits were brought up for public opinion a d I put my vote in I'd say slaughter the things. That being said they do great for harvesting little gills. Wasting our time with our personal opinions is just that. I'll leave it upto the experts and follow the laws  UT until it's changed I'm lambasting the whine over anyone trashing someone's fish pic post. I enjoy seeing guys success stories and it keeps me motivated to work for it. I could care less about the woe is me because I can't catch fish thread that's just part of fishing or it would be called catching. Thanks Mike for the bass text!

Couldn't agree with you more Stinkybaits. Finally someone with some logic comments on the "issue"

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:08 PM »
I agree, if they make it law so be it, I'll abide.  I can't see where public input does much good on this one. 

One thing it will make me do is improve the quality of my catch, need to move the average from 7.5 to closer to 9.5 if possible.  25 fish is enough for a mess but if you want to freeze some fish or you don't get out much it may put a little cramp in you plans.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:28 PM »
I hope no limit is introduced.  If they do place one, ill have to fish everyday so i can still take 9000 gills for the year!  Lol

actually get out twice a day and you could bag 18,250.  Now that's a lot of time at the cleaning table - say 2 minutes per fish (scaled, filet, bagged) that would be 36,500 minutes = 608 hours....  pull up a chair and get me another beer!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:39 PM »
Stinky, aren't you even a little curious as to the reasoning behind the proposed panfish limit?

I see the proposed limits because of all the whining about no fish and all the electronics that guys use and everyone is catching bucket fulls every trip because of the electronics  or so that's what the state claims. When I'm out and see 20 plus guys in an area all with electronics and try can't even catch 10 let alone a 25 proposed limit while a couple people are catching them non stop consistently in like scenarios then I'd say it's a tough bite because we've been on second ice since Thanksgiving. First ice lasted a couple days. Change tactics I've shown plenty of people about no bait they can't wrap their minds around it because they weren't taught that way. I don't care if people don't want to learn but I'm always willing to help anyone that asks. If biologists think a 25 panfish limit will help even lake or even the majority of lakes across the board then great. Big thick slabs will even be better but don't think for a minute a limit is going to increase anyone's chances at more fish in the bucket. Tough bites are tough bites if you can't adapt to the conditions and arnt willing to learn new tricks then your going to always end up with the same results. Weeds in Northern Lakes are the primary structure those change all the time. Weed killer destroyed Musky fishibg for two years in Webster maybe it needed a good killing idk I'm not a weed expert the biologists are but I'm out looking for green healthy weeds and base everything off of that. Maybe not in the area I'm fishing but every productive bay in a natural glacier lake has an ample healthy weed supply. Big thick slabs are abundant now in many lakes but I'm happy with the 8 to 9 range great eating fish. Will 25 big thick fish produce meat sure if there's a perfect balance of what makes for a big pig lake. A 25 limit panfish rule is just a small part of the equation. Big pig gills in ponds don't get to be big pigs without getting hand fed special diets. Not every lake has an ample food buffet. Then there's other lakes so full of food the perch look pregnant year round. Panfish are called panfish for a reason . They belong in the PAN and 8s to 9s are perfect for my pan.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:51 PM »
So your take is that the biologists, who the general consensus says are the ones best suited to make management decisions regarding our public waters, have abandoned long established tools of the trade such as creel surveys and electroshocking, and are basing their decisions solely on public input?

Not calling you out, just trying to get a feel for what you're thinking. I just have a hard time believing that public opinion only, holds enough sway to account for the shift in their reasoning.

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:59 PM »
  a-Roc

So are you saying that you'll be complaining when the new law goes in effect also?  You'll be upset that people are keeping 25 fish and not the 20 that you think they should be keeping?  ???

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2015, 03:21 PM »
So your take is that the biologists, who the general consensus says are the ones best suited to make management decisions regarding our public waters, have abandoned long established tools of the trade such as creel surveys and electroshocking, and are basing their decisions solely on public input?

Not calling you out, just trying to get a feel for what you're thinking. I just have a hard time believing that public opinion only, holds enough sway to account for the shift in their reasoning.

I'm just saying I'm shocked they are even wasting their time with public opinion. We all have opinions. As far as a creel survey if they creel the guys I fish with their going to be swayed to let it alone. If they creel the guy drinking beer and getting buzzed up in his shanty then they probably won't get much of a survey. I'd say shock the lakes and figure it out for themselves. I'm saying every body of water is different don't impose limits across the board. Impose limits on lakes that it may help. I see a ton of people that work every day of the week that get about one week a year to get some fish for their freezer. Nothing store bought tastes as good as a panfish. We've had no limit laws since the late 60s I'm guessing. I'm just not seeing the decline in any population on any of the lakes I fish and we fish about 20 a season year after year after year and they produce the good eaters if you can find them.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2015, 03:31 PM »
Agree that a blanket limit is not the perfect solution. But the question of why they are considering imposing one still remains unanswered. My understanding of your position is that public input is the reason, and field work to try and determine population density and size structure doesn't play into the scenario at all? If true, then why do we advocate leaving management decisions up to the biologists? My apologies if I have misunderstood.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2015, 03:54 PM »
Agree that a blanket limit is not the perfect solution. But the question of why they are considering imposing one still remains unanswered. My understanding of your position is that public input is the reason, and field work to try and determine population density and size structure doesn't play into the scenario at all? If true, then why do we advocate leaving management decisions up to the biologists? My apologies if I have misunderstood.

From what I've been told through public emails they are getting pressured and have been well before the public opinion poll. At least that's what I heard from the meeting I went to at the beginning of the season. I can see issues definetely on some lakes it's been brought up in the past as well but the biologists always knocked it down as they always have the last say. Why didn't it pass before the regs came out fir 2015? I'm guessing lack of proof declining populations and the biologists know that most of us including me its just an opinions on the matter. I can adapt 25 gills 25 crappie chase perch it's all fun to me. I may even go jig walleye some day on the big lake!

Offline rcjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2015, 04:18 PM »
personally I don't care if they put a limit on bulegll, because I have never caught one in my life. I just hope they never put a limit on bluegill because I love bringing home buckets full. They taste good!!

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2015, 04:37 PM »
for me I,am ok with a 25 fish per day limit just as long as there is not a bag limit, like wax-worm brought up I like to have some in the freezer for the summer,
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline Hack58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:57 PM »
Sprkplug,
I have the same question that you have posed several times here.....why are they considering it?  I just can't rationalize it being public opinion. Which public?  Who are these people and what is their motive?  I can't figure out the why.  Like some of the other posters I've been fishing for a long time and not seen any declines not connected with an event like a fish kill.  Nor can I see a monetary angle that would explain it.

For the record it makes me no difference as I seldom keep more than that anyway and I bear no ill will to anyone wanting to fill a sack from time to time.  The positive I see is that (if enforced) it would keep the pontoon loads of bed rapists I see circulating every spring in check.  But even that hasn't seemed to make a big difference in the overall fishing, just doesn't set right with me.
Tight lines everyone!

Offline Foosty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici.
« Reply #29 on: Mar 04, 2015, 07:00 PM »
I fish the Barbee chain of lakes a lot. In soft water we catch a crap-ton of panfish. If they are there in the summer, then they are there in the winter also. The "tough bite" some people are having has nothing to do with the fish population, better strategy will produce, I'm thinking it takes some serious work to ice fish successfully. The fish are in a metabolic funk in cold water, they aren't roaming wild and free, we gotta hunt them down. The last few years HAVE been tougher fishing at any time of the year, but I also believe it is because of overspraying for weeds. I have never noticed a decline in catch rate even in years that other fishermen seem to be making huge hauls of fish.  My $.02
!!!FISH ON!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.