Author Topic: 10 pound Erie walleye  (Read 9527 times)

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 10 pound Erie walleye
« Reply #30 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:46 AM »
Fried up one of my 11 pounders last night and boy was it delicious. The 14.4 I got will not be eaten it's goin on the wall.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:49 AM »
the smaller class fish (males) stay in and near higher contaminated areas far longer than the females. they are staged in there far longer and even the females migrate to the east in deeper and 'cleaner' waters, while a good population of the males never migrate back west. so what is the difference between eating a 2-5 pound male, and a 7-11 pound female. the pcb's are there regardless. better just leave them for me, ill eat them!
With all the freezers full of fish you have you must eat fish 4-5 times a week. For those people who say that the bigger fish taste great I am guessing that they don't get to eat the smaller eyes from different waters all that often. As far as the bigger fish go I would keep 1 to put on the wall and let the bigger ones go. Can't be as good eating. For the fishermen who doesn't have the opportunity to get other fish to fill the freezer, than chow down, and keep them all.

Offline Nanner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ...Ice On...
« Reply #32 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:10 AM »
Its more about what those big fish are eating with the volume  they consume and the multiple years they are doing along with the waters they live instead of where they are located in the lake...

Taste and long term health concerns do not add up....  or at least not to me. ..

Erie is a hell of a fishery. ..I don't go as much as I use too  and for those that do that's awesome and I love the photos but I do hope folks take the advisory serious especially with bigger fish and especially when feeding it to your children. ...

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:12 AM »
You guys who think a hook and line fisherman cannot depleat a trophy yr class of fish are completely wrong. I will prove why. look at how many anglers fish lake Eries all states and countries on both shore, Ice, and boat. Shore anglers put a beating on them at times too especially when they make spawning runs. Now look at how long its takes a walleye to reach the age class of trophy potential. factor in those fish now have to avoid canadas nets for years which take huge numbers of fish and you really only have a smaller percentage of fish that make it to that trophy size. The ONLY reason there are a lot of 28"+ fish around is because that year class was one of the better ones they have had in a long time so more were around to make it to that yr class. I don't personally know anyone who keeps more than 1 over 28" a yr and thats only to mount. One of my friends actually released the Indiana record Walleye 2 yrs ago it was just shy of 37" long and really fat, he does not keep big fish for any reason and doesn't care about records. Personally I thought my friend was nutz and I would of hung that one on my wall and claimed the record but thats just me. The even better part is watching anglers who think they have a 10# fish but its really a 8#. People really over estimate walleyes for some reason. If you want to continue to see good numbers of bigger females stop keeping everyone you get becasue over time that yr class is just getting smaller and smaller in numbers. 

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #34 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:24 AM »
Here is about the best facts I have seen posted anywhere.  Quote credited to Wakina on Walleye.com.

"Astronomical numbers"

"Once the 2003 hatch became mature adults there were roughly 35,000,000 adult breeders in lake Erie! Now assuming that only half of those adults were females of breeding age that would be roughly 17,500,000 mature females. The average number of eggs laid by a mature female is roughly 250,000. Please read the last post in this thread in the provided link as it is my source for the average number of eggs laid per mature female."

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...ic,1075.0.html

"So with 17,500,000 females laying an average of 250,000 eggs each that would be a total of 4,375,000,000,000. That is (four trillion three hundred seventy five billion) eggs laid. If only 1% hatched, that would be 43,750,000,000 fry and if only 1% of those fry lived to maturity that would be 437,500,000 (four hundred thirty seven million five hundred thousand) walleyes that would have survived into adulthood. So since those numbers have not or were not ever realized there has to be more involved than the few thousand females taken just before and during the spawn as you can see those few thousand fish would have a very minor roll in the total overall egg production.
Some more good reading based on 2003!"

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...n.html#msg1644

"One more link!"

http://www.epa.gov/med/grosseile_sit...s/walleye.html

Furthermore, yes I agree with most about the females.  I spend quite a bit of time while being out there trying to catch 16 inch males.  I have been very proud of the guys I have taken out and that have fished with me because the females have been CPR only.  Does keeping these females have a dramatic impact on the fishery?  I don't know.  I do know that I won't be part of any decline due to keeping females.

Call me crazy, but I think I would rather get into a hot perch bite out there right now over catching walleye!!!

Stueben1,

I would like to read the content of the links you provided but am getting "404 page not found" errrors when trying them.  I tried to paste the link into a new window and same issue.  Are they working for anyone else?

Offline libo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:26 AM »
when i first fished erie over 25 yrs ago, the limit was 10. way more boats fishing for them then than now. also rare to see eye pushing 10 back then. ohio dnr reduced the limit to 6, then 3 during the spawn. so you have to give ohio dnr credit for staying on top of the fishery. but there are other factors to consider. if you have fished open water you've seen the cormerants. they eat more fish than the fisherman catch. in the U.S. they are protected, but they do oil an shake the eggs like they do for problem geese. canada wacks them. mainly because canada commercial fishes walleye still. then you have the invasive species. if you have fished erie for awhile you've noticed the water gets clearer every yr.  not very many people thought the perch  fishing would collapse on lake michigan like it did, but it did. I don't have a problem keeping trophy fish, I just don't keep everyone I catch

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:28 AM »
I fish L.Erie in Pa,Ohio and NY. in the late 70's till 92 and it was and is the GREATEST EYE FISHERY IN THE WORLD. All 3 states stock millions of fry and fingerlings,there will always be 10 lb fish and bigger.Natural reproduce is a small portion of the fish that grow up maybe as low as 1 or 2%. I agree the big fish are just nasty to me,after filleting them,theres the red nasty meat you must cut off them,thin then down to the right thickness or you have burnt fish on the outside and sushi in the middle. I caught 1000's of ERIE eye,most fish are really over 5 lbs and not really eaters but I keep tons of them,really way to many and supplied friends and family with most. I fished 3 days a week and limits where quite easy from June till late Sept.There's no way anybody can eat that many of them,once the started to talk about toxic in the fish I hardly ate any,got rid of the big boat in 93 and really gave up deep water fishing.I went back one time with a friend and fished shallow 25-40 fow and caught a two day ticket of eaters 18-22. To all the guys that put in the hard work,keep your 10 lbers,your not hurting,if you want to see hurting go to the snag fest Mumee River in Ohio in the spring. Canada nets walleyes and sells them.

Offline portageredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:33 AM »
anybody who believes the hook and line fisherman killed the perch in lake Michigan is sadly mistaken.... 

Offline imob34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:47 AM »
One of my friends actually released the Indiana record Walleye 2 yrs ago it was just shy of 37" long and really fat,

wow that big in Indiana? that's impressive, that would probably be a 20+lb fish, other than those lies from Tennessee many years ago no walleye over 20lbs has ever been verified, Washington's state record at 19.3lb was 35" long

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:51 AM »
I remember a very dear old buddy of mines father was a commercial perch fisherman. He would catch his quota for the season (tons) of perch the first day out, setting miles and miles of nets. He would continue to go out every day and gladly pay the fine each day which wasn't but a few pennies compared to what the profit that was made daily. I remember buying live fresh jumbos for 1 dollar a pound, back in the 70's. This is what decimated the perch population in lake Michigan. If has taken decades to produce jumbos again quite often. Just my 2 cents. Hook and line fishermen had nothing to do with the perch demise, it was the commercial fishermen.

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:53 AM »
wow that big in Indiana? that's impressive, that would probably be a 20+lb fish, other than those lies from Tennessee many years ago no walleye over 20lbs has ever been verified, Washington's state record at 19.3lb was 35" long

a 20 lb eye was just caught in WA state. its going through the process of being verified and such. at least thats the latest info, im sure here shortly all details will come about, rumor has it. ill see if i can dig up a link.
Got one goin'!

Offline libo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:05 AM »
 the perch fishing on lake Mich. collapsed because of missing yr classes of fry. not sure were you got the idea  i said hook an liners kill the perch. if your interested there is going to be a perch summit in ILL. on the 22 of march. all great lakes dnr fisheries,ball state perch researchers an all the top fisheries biologist will be there. can be veiwed on the web. there may be changes in our perch fishing in the future.

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #42 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:17 AM »
Stueben1,

I would like to read the content of the links you provided but am getting "404 page not found" errrors when trying them.  I tried to paste the link into a new window and same issue.  Are they working for anyone else?

Not working for me either, Wax..!

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:32 AM »

Heres Missouris record.

Walleye
Pole and line 21 lbs. 1 oz. Bull Shoals Lake 03/26/1988 Gerry H. Partlow Linneus, Mo.
Tom

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:39 AM »

http://www.landbigfish.com/staterecords/fishrecords.cfm?ID=2  All of these states are lies that have fish over 20# as the record ?
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:58 AM »
Stueben1,

Here are two of the links, I couldn't figure out the topic for the second link Steuben posted.

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/index.php/topic,1075.0.html

http://www.epa.gov/med/grosseile_site/indicators/walleye.html

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 04, 2014, 11:13 AM »
With all the freezers full of fish you have you must eat fish 4-5 times a week. For those people who say that the bigger fish taste great I am guessing that they don't get to eat the smaller eyes from different waters all that often. As far as the bigger fish go I would keep 1 to put on the wall and let the bigger ones go. Can't be as good eating. For the fishermen who doesn't have the opportunity to get other fish to fill the freezer, than chow down, and keep them all.

if ya want some fish to eat just holler at me, more than willing to drop some off AL. lol
Got one goin'!

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Mar 04, 2014, 11:25 AM »

It was retarded big and would have crushed the record. He caught it on accident fishing for smallies with a tube jig. Its exact length was 36 3/4" we all thought he had a carp when we saw the giant bronze flashes until my friend saw the head. He just looked back and said it was a walleye and by the look in his face we knew it was a monster. My friends and I asked him 3 times are you sure you want to release it and to my suprise he did even after I told him it was several inches bigger then the current record. He just shrugged his shoulders and said I cant bring myself to kill a big fish like that. He's really big on catch and release and doesn't mount fish. Of course he was the only one on the boat that would of released it and of course thats who caught it. I have fished for walleyes in that same spot and have seen a good amount of 6-10s come from that area but nothing really over 10 until his now knowing that thing is in there I've been trying to get it myself ;D. The sad part about the whole thing was that it was his first cast literally 3 cranks into it and it wasnt even his rod that should just be a crime. 

Offline imob34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Mar 04, 2014, 11:33 AM »
http://www.landbigfish.com/staterecords/fishrecords.cfm?ID=2  All of these states are lies that have fish over 20# as the record ?

Yes

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Mar 04, 2014, 11:35 AM »
I also don't think you can completly wipe out a yr class of erie eyes by keeping bigger ones just make them more rare compared to what it currently is. I really don't like the fact the US stocks the crap out of that lake so Canada nets them and sells them back to the US  ???. Yes the maumee is a big female slaughter zone probably more then I want to know I've been there 1 time and don't even want to think about how many illegal caught fish are kept. Commercial fishing has the biggest impact and it would be interesting to see what would happen if it was eliminated but then again it worked great for the LM perch so who knows. I really have nothing against someone keeping a fish or 2 for the wall in trophy class and actually encourage them to do it they make great mounts and a 28"+ fish is an achievment. Its guys who keep 2 or 3 8+ lbs fish every trip for no other purpose then to eat them which I don't understand.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #50 on: Mar 04, 2014, 11:45 AM »
I also don't think you can completly wipe out a yr class of erie eyes by keeping bigger ones just make them more rare compared to what it currently is. I really don't like the fact the US stocks the crap out of that lake so Canada nets them and sells them back to the US  ???. Yes the maumee is a big female slaughter zone probably more then I want to know I've been there 1 time and don't even want to think about how many illegal caught fish are kept. Commercial fishing has the biggest impact and it would be interesting to see what would happen if it was eliminated but then again it worked great for the LM perch so who knows. I really have nothing against someone keeping a fish or 2 for the wall in trophy class and actually encourage them to do it they make great mounts and a 28"+ fish is an achievment. Its guys who keep 2 or 3 8+ lbs fish every trip for no other purpose then to eat them which I don't understand.

The commercial netters on walleye in lake Erie are regulated and allowed a certain take out of the total allowable catch (TAC).  It is about equal to or slightly more than the estimated angler harvest each year.  See the link I posted above for the numbers of fish taken by commercial netters.  There is a chart in there that shows the annual breakdown.    They certainly don't have free reign to take whatever they want.

Offline libo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Mar 04, 2014, 12:00 PM »
tenn. world record of 25# even. out of old hickory lake by mabry harper [ theres a southern name for y'all] was reinstated as the record walleye, plus a couple of 20# + have been taken out of greers ferry lake in ark.

Offline Big Icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drop jig hook repeat
« Reply #52 on: Mar 04, 2014, 12:31 PM »
It was retarded big and would have crushed the record. He caught it on accident fishing for smallies with a tube jig. Its exact length was 36 3/4" we all thought he had a carp when we saw the giant bronze flashes until my friend saw the head. He just looked back and said it was a walleye and by the look in his face we knew it was a monster. My friends and I asked him 3 times are you sure you want to release it and to my suprise he did even after I told him it was several inches bigger then the current record. He just shrugged his shoulders and said I cant bring myself to kill a big fish like that. He's really big on catch and release and doesn't mount fish. Of course he was the only one on the boat that would of released it and of course thats who caught it. I have fished for walleyes in that same spot and have seen a good amount of 6-10s come from that area but nothing really over 10 until his now knowing that thing is in there I've been trying to get it myself ;D. The sad part about the whole thing was that it was his first cast literally 3 cranks into it and it wasnt even his rod that should just be a crime.

Don't take this the wrong way, but with multiple witnesses, there has to be a picture to go along with the story.....
Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs.

http://www.peotoneweather.com/

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Mar 04, 2014, 12:36 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way, but with multiple witnesses, there has to be a picture to go along with the story.....

true statement, with technology and phones now days everyone has a camera, but we still carry a camera in the boat till this day, we actually forget about it alot cause of the cell phone pictures are taken so much
Got one goin'!

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Mar 04, 2014, 12:49 PM »
We took 1 pic of it it was a quick land, measure, pic, and release. My friend who netted it took the pic I will see if he can send it to me but I will have to be sneaky about it because if he knows its for internet purposes he will not give it to me. The area it was caught is not a known walleye location and only about 8 tight lipped guys fish it and the pic has all sorts of noticable landmarks in the background to those who live near it. I will have to chop out the background if it is posted to protect the spot. We have had other spots almost overrun with people after showing pics of other areas and word gets out so you can understand that we want to keep this spot to the anglers willing to try things on there own. Its not a spot with a lot of fish but the fish you do get are all toads. Ive never got one there under 7# but I chuck bigger baits than most usually very large cranks and swimbaits. The samllest i've seen has been around 3# caught on a normal walleye size jig so its a special walleye spot for an opportunity at big fish if you put time in fishing it. You will most likely be alone 98% of the time. The night I got that 7# was the last time I was there and that night a old timer that has fished it since before I was born landed 3 fish that night all 8-10#s, lucky bugger. He was the only other guy there too besides my friend. That old timer has been close to breaking the record several times according to my friends who fish there more but I've only seen fish landed up to 10# on days I'm there. No doubt the next record will probably come from this spot.

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Mar 04, 2014, 01:44 PM »
This is a very touchy subject on all the forums I frequent ,especially during the Maumee River run. I think subject gets locked more than any other I've seen. Living in Ohio and fishing Lake Erie and the Maumee river my whole life, I have my own opinion on this subject, and they are only my opinions. there's no shortage of armchair biologists out there. At the end of the day, you have to do what you think is best in your eyes, and your wasting your time if you think you can change others views.  Some people think just because its within the laws, its the right thing to do. All the numbers of how many walleyes are in the lake are just "estimates" based on formulas plugged into charts. I would personally never look down on anyone keeping a few trophy walleyes........... i personally prefer to eat perch, but if im forced eat a walleye its gonna be a 17 or 18" jack  ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:23 PM »

the IGFA world record is 25 lbs and state record for Arkansa is 22lbs 11 oz and Missouri is 21lb1 oz then comes the 19-3   

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #57 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:28 PM »
Why is everyone keeping these big females when they are clearly full if eggs. Anything over 5 pounds doesn't taste good (arguably anything over 3 from Erie). Replicas look better and last longer.

These people bragging about the fishing this year will be the first to complain in a couple years when the 2003 class is fished out and the only person they have to blame is themselves and everyone else who thinks like them (if its legal ill keep it!)  sow what you reap "sportsmen"

I want to apologize for keeping your fish a few weeks ago. I looked all over the big sow and must have missed the name tag you must have had hanging from her.
With that smart aleck comment out of the way, I do understand the stance that you take on this matter, but there are so many variables that you can never understand when you go onto a public forum and blast away at all people that keep fish from Erie or any public body of water.

First, Was the fish caught legally? If so, back off! Your morals and those of the guy sitting next to you will always differ. (This I guarantee)

Next, Was there a special story that goes along with this fishing trip? And will this fish
always bring back them memories? If so, back off! Special times on the water sharing dreams and stories with those you care about should not be legislated by you or any other one person. My fish is special to me, as it was on a trip with my son. (I could have done the 'fake mount thing', but didn't have a scale or accurate way of measuring her.)

I do understand your concern for the fishery. And as a 'sportsman', I applaud your effort to share your knowledge and concern for the fishery that you speak up for.

This was my first trip to Erie in the last 3 years, and I don't think this one fish is going to make or break a great fish factory.

I sure hope that we keep our eyes on this great resource, and if change is needed that the Ohio DNR will step in and act accordingly if we begin to tip the scales in the wrong direction.   
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline Big Icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drop jig hook repeat
« Reply #58 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:09 PM »
We took 1 pic of it it was a quick land, measure, pic, and release. My friend who netted it took the pic I will see if he can send it to me but I will have to be sneaky about it because if he knows its for internet purposes he will not give it to me. The area it was caught is not a known walleye location and only about 8 tight lipped guys fish it and the pic has all sorts of noticable landmarks in the background to those who live near it. I will have to chop out the background if it is posted to protect the spot. We have had other spots almost overrun with people after showing pics of other areas and word gets out so you can understand that we want to keep this spot to the anglers willing to try things on there own. Its not a spot with a lot of fish but the fish you do get are all toads. Ive never got one there under 7# but I chuck bigger baits than most usually very large cranks and swimbaits. The samllest i've seen has been around 3# caught on a normal walleye size jig so its a special walleye spot for an opportunity at big fish if you put time in fishing it. You will most likely be alone 98% of the time. The night I got that 7# was the last time I was there and that night a old timer that has fished it since before I was born landed 3 fish that night all 8-10#s, lucky bugger. He was the only other guy there too besides my friend. That old timer has been close to breaking the record several times according to my friends who fish there more but I've only seen fish landed up to 10# on days I'm there. No doubt the next record will probably come from this spot.

I would love to see this pic! I would also edit out the backround to protect it. No doubt, you found it, you keep it.

I have seen a 33 1/4" from up around the nets N of Kelleys in June three years ago. THAT was the most incredible walleye I have ever seen from the great lakes. That fish was estimated by the guys who caught it to be 14#, and I would give it to him. It was released as well. One just shy of 37", and not John Gillespie hold it out, internet sensation, new Erie record 37"......wow!.....
Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs.

http://www.peotoneweather.com/

Offline Kamodude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Mar 04, 2014, 11:50 PM »
Just my 2cents worth!!!!!
The main breeders for walleye are the 2-6 pounders.
The 8-10 lb plus fish may have lots of eggs but their fertility rate is much lower than the smaller fish.... So taking a big fish out isnt going to hurt as much as taking the smaller ones.
At least thats what the biologist say!!!!!!
Same with bass!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.