Author Topic: 10 pound Erie walleye  (Read 9514 times)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 10 pound Erie walleye
« Reply #90 on: Mar 05, 2014, 11:21 PM »
You misread a part of what he wrote.  He said once the hatch from 2003 joined the 'adult breeder' stage there were 35 million breeding adults in lake Erie.  If you look at link posted on page 2 of the thread they estimated there were 68 million 2yr old fish in 2005 from the 2003 hatch.  Not sure how old they have to be to start breeding, but out of 68 million 2 yr olds, they certainly gave a huge boost to the breeding population once they matured.  If you redo the math using half of the 35 million adults from 2003 x 250,000 eggs you will get the same numbers as he posted.

As I said none of the links worked, said page not found. Any other info pertaining to what he said I could not read. So I was only taking to account exactly what he said, "Once the 2003 hatch became mature adults there were roughly 35,000,000 adult breeders in lake Erie". With that said, I read it as in 2003 there was 35-mill hatchlings and that when they become adults would be 35 mill. breeders. With this other info you added I now see what he was talking about.

When links get posted the poster should test them to make sure they work so we can get the whole story. If you notice the problem is there's dots in the link which means part of the URL is missing. EX; discuss/...ic & discuss/...n.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Mar 05, 2014, 11:47 PM »
Neutral on the issue but, people over fished Erie for years and years before any limit on size or amount was enforced. How many more big fish are being taken this year as compared to the last 50, or the last 100. More research is needed before you can decide.  Seems like people are seeing more big fish because of easy sharing on the web and thinking that this is something new. How old are the big fish? Were they stocking fish then? More research lake Erie supported numerous tribes of folks back in the day into the tens of thousands who wold most likely target spawning fish in the stream for survival. Lol, what you are seeing isn't even putting a dent into this huge lake.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:27 AM »
OK. I'll be that guy! Why would anyone mount a 10 lb walleye from Erie ?? They seem to be too common?. Not really a trophy out of that water?
Paul
I think regardless of which water the fish comes from it still would be considered to be a trophy to the individual who caught it. Might only be a 7 pounder which would be a big fish to me. Just because Erie has many larger fish a wall hanger may not be as easy for someone who only fishes Erie say every 5-7 years. This size fish may not be as present where this guy who goes and wants 1 to put on his wall. And then there is the walleye factor. There are many people who just don't fish walleye waters all that often. I have been to Erie only three times in the early spring and my biggest fish was only 5 pounds. The largest fish in 6 days of fishing only 7 pounds, caught be someone else on my charter. Yes, the larger ones are caught during the ice fishing season IMO... To me that was the biggest fish caught on the trip. Is it on my wall NO, but, it may be on someone elses.    So I just don't understand, if a guy goes to northern Canada and catches a 40 pound Laker not wall worthy, or the person who goes to Alaska and gets a 45 pound salmon. Just because there are much bigger fish in those waters I think it is up to the fisherman who caught it if he is truly proud of his fish he should do whatever he wants with it. IT IS HIS FISH... Stick a fork in me, I am done.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:32 AM »
I think regardless of which water the fish comes from it still would be considered to be a trophy to the individual who caught it. Might only be a 7 pounder which would be a big fish to me. Just because Erie has many larger fish a wall hanger may not be as easy for someone who only fishes Erie say every 5-7 years. This size fish may not be as present where this guy who goes and wants 1 to put on his wall. And then there is the walleye factor. There are many people who just don't fish walleye waters all that often. I have been to Erie only three times in the early spring and my biggest fish was only 5 pounds. The largest fish in 6 days of fishing only 7 pounds, caught be someone else on my charter. Yes, the larger ones are caught during the ice fishing season IMO... To me that was the biggest fish caught on the trip. Is it on my wall NO, but, it may be on someone elses.    So I just don't understand, if a guy goes to northern Canada and catches a 40 pound Laker not wall worthy, or the person who goes to Alaska and gets a 45 pound salmon. Just because there are much bigger fish in those waters I think it is up to the fisherman who caught it if he is truly proud of his fish he should do whatever he wants with it. IT IS HIS FISH... Stick a fork in me, I am done.
Well Put Al
Tom

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Mar 06, 2014, 10:47 AM »
I agree a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. Also guys who only make it to Erie 1 or 2 times a year will not get as many 10# fish as guys who make many more trips. If I had the chance to go there and put a lot of time in there I would hold out for a 11#+ to hang but if I didn't a 10# fish is not going to be caught everyday and is a nice fish no matter where you go. Nothing says you cant mount a 10# and then another one after that if you get one bigger in the future. My personal goal to mount is 31" and I had the thing 10ft away on the st joe last year but it was barely hooked and popped off, talk about a dream crusher I would rather of not seen it.

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Mar 06, 2014, 11:00 AM »

this ice season is a small dent compared to the 10lb+ fish caught in the boats...usually march but april,sept,oct,nov.
Got one goin'!

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Mar 06, 2014, 11:16 AM »
The charters beat on them things in open water, only a small percentage of the yearly harvest is fish taken on Ice. Just look at there full cooler pics with a boat of 8 ppl. Some of those charters make it out 5 times a week or more weather permitting and with paying clients I doubt they care about keeping multiple 30" fish a trip it just looks better at the dock. As stated earlier tounrys also harvest a large amount of fish. I fish pro salmon tounrys and one year on the first day of one of the tournys they had 2,000# of salmon donated the FIRST DAY of a 2 day tournament. 80% of those were kings too. Tournys especially ones who attract a lot of boats can really pull a load of fish in a 2 day period.

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Mar 06, 2014, 01:02 PM »
"Some of those charters make it out 5 times a week or more weather permitting and with paying clients I doubt they care about keeping multiple 30" fish a trip it just looks better at the dock."

That's a very inaccurate statement.

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Mar 06, 2014, 01:25 PM »
Here we go again lol.

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Mar 06, 2014, 01:42 PM »
Thats actually true I know guys who live there and spend 100+ days a year on the water. I guess my friends who live on Erie and troll out there all through open water season and personally know several charters are sending me pics from those charters that are not correct? I took one of those guys out this summer out here for salmon and he was on the phone with one of the charters he knows sharing info. I found out that charter was out 8 of past 10 days and that was mid summer and limited almost every day running out 15 miles, the fish were loaded on the thermal break. I'm not sure where these full coolers of fish are coming from then? Must be another Walleye lake in Ohio that produces that many. Not every charter makes it out 5 days a week but some do during parts of the year. To think a charter will not book 5 days a week if possible and will tell his paying clients you can't keep that 10# fish is a false reality when his clients are shelling out hundreds to get those fish. They also fish in some rough stuff if they can get out they will fish.   

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Mar 06, 2014, 01:45 PM »
Thats actually true I know guys who live there. I guess my friends who live on Erie and troll out there all through open water season and personally know several charters are sending me pics from those charters that are not correct? I took one of those guys out this summer out here for salmon and he was on the phone with one of the charters he knows sharing info. I found out that charter was out 8 of past 10 days and that was mid summer and limited almost every day. I'm not sure where these full coolers of fish are coming from then? Must be another Walleye lake in Ohio that produces that many. Not every charter makes it out 5 days a week but some do during parts of the year. To think a charter will not book 5 days a week if possible and will tell his paying clients you can't keep that 10# fish is a false reality when his clients are shelling out hundreds to get those fish. They also fish in some rough stuff if they can get out they will fish.   

Yep you are right and I am wrong.  I guess you know more about Erie than I do. 

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Mar 06, 2014, 02:00 PM »
I know charters and guys who wack and stack on Erie. One of them who doens't charter landed and released just over 100 walleye over 28" this past season but only a small percentage of the walleyes taken on the charters where released. On a charter its really up to the clientel to decide on whether to keep a fish. These charters are making a living off fishing so they are booking as much as possible some will fish 7 days a week if they can book it. I really don't know any charter anywhere in the great lakes for any species thats totally against keeping big fish and will tell paying clients no. Big fish pics also promote the charter itself especially boards full of them. Not to mention a good number of big ones come trolling and can come from depths over 30ft mid summer so releasing them is sometimes not even an option.   

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Mar 06, 2014, 02:31 PM »
I told myself that the first pound and a half Bluegill that I caught was going on the wall. But when I finally held that fish, I just couldn't do it. And since that time I have released several more of equal or slightly greater size. Everytime I think "this is the one", I'm reminded of something I was taught as a boy, growing up in an outdoor orientated family.

Nearly everyone in my extended family hunted and fished, as a means of putting food on the table. And most of those guys were pretty slick at it too. But no one, not one single person, had a trophy anything on the wall. The way it was explained to me was perhaps overly simplistic, but it's stuck with me for all these years....that being that there are three reasons to kill any animal (including fish)....the three "P's"

Profit.....usually by selling fur.
Provisions.....to keep your family fed.
Protection....self explanatory, if somewhat unlikely in these parts.

There's a fourth "P" that was regarded as unacceptable in my family....Pride. To kill something just because it was the biggest of its kind, simply wasn't condoned.

That was a long time ago, and a lot has changed since then. And while I respect and acknowledge the deeply personal reasons involved in deciding whether or not to hang a trophy on the wall, I still struggle with it where my own catches are concerned. For me, I've just seen too many trophy "walls"....I still think I would like a trophy Bluegill of two pounds or greater. ONE fish.....not just the biggest one to date.

There are big fish, and then there are trophy fish....for me, the trophy bar needs to be raised well beyond the reach of big fish, to include only a once-in-a-lifetime fish. I don't begrudge anyone their right to hang a fish on the wall. If it's legal, and the fishery can support it, and it makes you happy, then I say go for it.

Just my opinion, offered as one guy's viewpoint. Not meant to pass judgement on anyone's harvest practices at all.
Great post, and "P"erspective!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Mar 06, 2014, 02:39 PM »
Thats actually true I know guys who live there and spend 100+ days a year on the water. I guess my friends who live on Erie and troll out there all through open water season and personally know several charters are sending me pics from those charters that are not correct? I took one of those guys out this summer out here for salmon and he was on the phone with one of the charters he knows sharing info. I found out that charter was out 8 of past 10 days and that was mid summer and limited almost every day running out 15 miles, the fish were loaded on the thermal break. I'm not sure where these full coolers of fish are coming from then? Must be another Walleye lake in Ohio that produces that many. Not every charter makes it out 5 days a week but some do during parts of the year. To think a charter will not book 5 days a week if possible and will tell his paying clients you can't keep that 10# fish is a false reality when his clients are shelling out hundreds to get those fish. They also fish in some rough stuff if they can get out they will fish.   

most of ur charters (on the western basin) that are running 5-15 miles out are catching fish. but its not coolers full of 30" fish. they will have coolers full of 15-25" fish and a couple kicker fish in the 27-32" range. the 10# fish, migrate, eastward, now the charters out by geneva and bula, yes they may be getting coolers full of 25-32" fish, not sure there are the same quanity of charters to the wast as there are to the west end. 90% (rough guess) of the charters on the west end in the spawning monhs, arent trolling. they are going to take u out jigging and spend the least amount of gas possible. when the fish jump onto the crawler bite, they are still trying to mostly cast due to the cost of gas, eventually yes they will start pulling crawlers and spoons to get the fish going but they are going to do the most they can to get fish and save gas. the smaller charter boats will be out trolling, hey have 3 ppl tops in the boat with them as they are running 20' rangers and starcrafts. ur larger boats that run 6-packs, they arent fuel freindly. summer months a LARGE percentage of ur fish are well under the 10 lb mark (western end). are there some charters contradicting this info i have given, yes but a very small percentage. most of the large fish are pounded on from ice out till end of spawn and then again in the fall. why do you think the tournaments on erie start at turtle creek and as the months go by the tourny's launch keep moving eastward down the shoreline??! if most of the charter captains were pounding large fish all year long the tourny's wouldnt move their launch locations.
Got one goin'!

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Mar 06, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Seems Mr. Ice rat is a biologist in not only white tails but lake erie walleye.

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Mar 06, 2014, 03:34 PM »
Northn Duck hit it right on the head. The ones I know are not coming back with coolers of 30" fish mostly 24-26s with about 10% in the 28"+ class exept during the prime big fish months or when things are just dialed in for them. The ones I know run small boats under 25ft so gas is not near the issue of the bigger guys. They do a mix of trolling and jigging. Although by summer they are doing nothing but trolling spoons on lead, copper, and dipseys. Now they are only bringing 3 clients at a time though but some of them big boats take upwards of 8 at a time. And yes I have to agree that the big boats are very conservative on gas but then again they eat it up thats why summer rates are around 700 bones for the big ones. Several of the guys who fun fish have found very good big fish action fishing full moons at night in the summer with spoons especially when the day bite starts getting tough.

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Mar 06, 2014, 03:55 PM »
Seems Mr. Ice rat is a biologist in not only white tails but lake erie walleye.

I just know a few guys that run charters and fun fish out there and are aware at what they bring back. I doubt I'm near the Erie fisherman that you are since I probably have far less actual fishing experience on that water.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Mar 10, 2014, 04:36 PM »
I think Lake Erie is starting to get fished out already . I fished all day Saturday and form 7 to 2:30 Sunday and never cought a walleye this past weekend . Seen a few cought by others but they must of been the last ones in that lake .

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:50 PM »
I think Lake Erie is starting to get fished out already . I fished all day Saturday and form 7 to 2:30 Sunday and never cought a walleye this past weekend . Seen a few cought by others but they must of been the last ones in that lake .

Im laughing my butt offffffffff :)

Offline justjiggin83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:23 PM »
I caught one decent fish this past sat. but by all means Do Not use blake calvert! Not a good guide whats so ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:35 PM »
I caught one decent fish this past sat. but by all means Do Not use blake calvert! Not a good guide whats so ever

you may have just had a bad experience, guides themself run into problems, things go wrong and bad days. another guide was mentioned last week to absolutely not go with and just a few days later someone posted same guide and had a fanastic trip. i would research the guide and others and chat with ppl that have done the same guides and different, compare experiences before bashing a person on the internet that clearly makes a living doing such business. i dont do guides on anything and i garauntee ive had the same experience at one time on my own as you did with mentioned guide. better luck next time!
Got one goin'!

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:38 PM »

Can be frustrating at times...but they are always biting somewhere out there. ..Put 30 miles on the sled bouncing around sunday.. and finally found em and caught hogs..best catch of the day was a 28 " er on 3# test..epic battle.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline pgaschulz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:41 PM »
They keep them to fill a quota...if not commercial fishing begins...

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:50 PM »
I`m just wondering if in 20 or 30 years I'll see pics of the Erie trips and the likes from this year on the Cabelas or Bass Pro walls and hear people saying "boy, remember when you could catch fish like that?"  Basically saying the reason you don't see catches like you do in those black and white photos is because they kept all the big fish and selective harvest wasn't even a though. I wonder what the Erie fishery will be like in 5 years when all these breeders are no longer in the lake.  Kids should be taught responsibility not just going fishing and keeping everything you catch. Actually, they should be taught to put the trophies back so their kids have a fishery to enjoy.  Being a glutton doesn't apply to just eating.

I'll eat any and all larger fish I've legally taken. First because I can and secondly, big eyes over 6 lbs lets say are not the breeders contrary to popular belief. Its these treasured 14-15 inch males and 17-20 inch females who do the best. Look at it this way. Whos more likely to reproduce strong healthy young, your grandma or your 22 year old daughter?  its been proven most of the giants dont even dump their eggs, they merely absorb them. I've caught big females a month after the spawn who are loaded up with dingy orange looking eggs. Do your homework before you make such an ill informed statement sir.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Mar 10, 2014, 10:37 PM »
I'll eat any and all larger fish I've legally taken. First because I can and secondly, big eyes over 6 lbs lets say are not the breeders contrary to popular belief. Its these treasured 14-15 inch males and 17-20 inch females who do the best. Look at it this way. Whos more likely to reproduce strong healthy young, your grandma or your 22 year old daughter? Hell its been proven most of the giants dont even dump their eggs, they merely absorb them. I've caught big females a month after the spawn who are loaded up with dingy orange looking eggs. Do your homework before you make such an ill informed statement sir.

many of the guys against keeping the big fish, should maybe cruise along the south shores of erie during a spawn and check out how many 27"+ fish are floating belly up gettin pecked away by seagulls. why do u see these big girls floating belly up and side up, but you dont see any 20-26" females floating after a spawn, cause they are healthy and capable. there is alot of info from numerous ppl given on this topic, seems as if the original poster has quickly kept quiet after reveiwing this but id say anyone else with this concern may want to call the local biologist and have a chat once, would be suprised the information given!  ;D
Got one goin'!

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #115 on: Mar 11, 2014, 12:06 PM »
I love big water fishing and chase salmon all over lake michigan. With that said its hard to justify one bad experience with a bad guide or the lake sucks. Its big water just like LM not all water is fishy and fish do migrate in big water more then most people know. Not only do you need to locate fish but you also need to get them to bite, location is where most people struggle. I don't know how many times I've come back to the dock on LM with a cooler full of chrome and lots of other boats struggled to put just a few in. Now you have to consider your not covering near the water you can in open water. Yes experienced guys are putting some good numbers up but its not easy they put years into learing it. One of my friends charters on the southern end of LM and had a group of clients complain the fish were not the size they were in the 70s even though they got a 4 man limit in 3 hrs  ::). Some guys are just not happy no matter what you do guiding or set there expectations too high. Good fisherman have bad days too even the guys who fish out there all the time. My suggestion would be research your outfitter ask for references. Any good guide should be able to provide a list. Call the people that went the previous year and ask how the experience went for them. You will get an idea of what to expect and if that guide is what you are looking for. Once you have done that you know you have done all you can to book a good guide and mother nature will have to cooperate for the rest. The guide can only do so much and generally good ones will find you fish far more days then not. 

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #116 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:34 AM »
just a fun fact..... lake erie TAC (total allowable catch) has been raised by nearly 20% for 2014. 4.027 million walleye compared to the previous 3.356 million walleye. with ohio's waters being set at 2.058 million fish. thats over half the total TAC. this is all based just for the western basin for regulating limits, the eastern end doesnt have near the industry and pressure as the western end so therefore has a different system of regulating. just thought a few of us would enjoy this info given. now if the lake/marinas would just blow open!!!!  >:(
Got one goin'!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.