Author Topic: 10 pound Erie walleye  (Read 9507 times)

Offline Eastbay

• IceShanty Rookie
10 pound Erie walleye
« on: Mar 03, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Why is everyone keeping these big females when they are clearly full if eggs. Anything over 5 pounds doesn't taste good (arguably anything over 3 from Erie). Replicas look better and last longer.

These people bragging about the fishing this year will be the first to complain in a couple years when the 2003 class is fished out and the only person they have to blame is themselves and everyone else who thinks like them (if its legal ill keep it!)  sow what you reap "sportsmen"

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 10 pound Erie walleye
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Why is everyone keeping these big females when they are clearly full if eggs. Anything over 5 pounds doesn't taste good (arguably anything over 3 from Erie). Replicas look better and last longer.

These people bragging about the fishing this year will be the first to complain in a couple years when the 2003 class is fished out and the only person they have to blame is themselves and everyone else who thinks like them (if its legal ill keep it!)  sow what you reap "sportsmen"
I don't blame these guys for keeping these hogs, they're working hard and paying a lot of money to catch these fish. The state of Ohio will gladly pay to restock with the economic boom these walleye have created this year. Indiana should take note and develop a fishery like Lake Erie and help the small business owner. I personally believe the last two seasons that lacked good ice is the reason these pigs are plentiful, and personally I agree with your harvesting practices (anything over 4 goes back in the drink). However, I've made my piece with others keeping hogs in these premier fishing destinations. Best thing to do is take as many young people as you can out to enjoy this great sport and mold them into good sportsman! As in anything in life, usually those who get to reap what they sow, good or bad, will be a lesson they'll never forget and impacts the rest of their lives.
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline Eastbay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:18 PM »
We agree in some points but Indiana should make a fishery like Erie? What do you mean by that ? Erie is one if the Great Lakes. It is a freak of nature cut by glaciers that is a perfect walleye habitat. Man can't replicate that. Man can only destroy it or help nourish it.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:24 PM »
We agree in some points but Indiana should make a fishery like Erie? What do you mean by that ? Erie is one if the Great Lakes. It is a freak of nature cut by glaciers that is a perfect walleye habitat. Man can't replicate that. Man can only destroy it or help nourish it.
In my opinion, if it a perfect walleye habitat then it will have no problems sustaining the population. It's a giant lake and there's no way anyone could catch them all with a hook and line.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:24 PM »
I didn't say "walleye" fishery... Just fishery... Could be crappie, gills, musky or pike...  Indiana has waters for that IMO.

Offline buckshotiii

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:27 PM »
I`m just wondering if in 20 or 30 years I'll see pics of the Erie trips and the likes from this year on the Cabelas or Bass Pro walls and hear people saying "boy, remember when you could catch fish like that?"  Basically saying the reason you don't see catches like you do in those black and white photos is because they kept all the big fish and selective harvest wasn't even a though. I wonder what the Erie fishery will be like in 5 years when all these breeders are no longer in the lake.  Kids should be taught responsibility not just going fishing and keeping everything you catch. Actually, they should be taught to put the trophies back so their kids have a fishery to enjoy.  Being a glutton doesn't apply to just eating.

Offline Eastbay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:31 PM »
Webster, barber, tippy are already world class musky waters. I have a friend who catches a couple of 50"+ fish out of there every year. But by nature those are catch and release fish for 99.9% of the people who fish them.

But will that give a boost to small businesses? And what does that have to do with anything? We were talking about catch and release and you bring up small businesses. The fact is keeping these big females hurts more than it helps and there is NO reason to keep them.

I think it is a healthy debate to have but keep it on point and logical. This isn't "thank you for smoking"

Offline Big Icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drop jig hook repeat
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:36 PM »
There are so many walleye in that lake, we as hook and line, regulated by limit, fishermen could never possibly deplete this stock. Yes, the '03 class is a great one, and there have been equally good ones in prior years and there will be in future years. Fish like these are taken from that lake day after day , month after month and year after year......and they're still there....

If a group of guys want to go through what it takes to do this trip, everything that it takes......and it takes a lot...and harvest these fish, so be it! They are within the law. If there was any fear of the loss of these fish and reproduction ramifications by their harvest, the Ohio DNR would implement a slot or trophy limit.

From all the latest research I have seen, your 18 to 22" "eaters" are the most prolific and successful reproducers in the walleye population, anyhow. The very reason many vulnerable fisheries have an 18 to 24" slot limit...So eat 'em up boys!!!
Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs.

http://www.peotoneweather.com/

Offline Big Icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drop jig hook repeat
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:42 PM »
I`m just wondering if in 20 or 30 years I'll see pics of the Erie trips and the likes from this year on the Cabelas or Bass Pro walls and hear people saying "boy, remember when you could catch fish like that?"  Basically saying the reason you don't see catches like you do in those black and white photos is because they kept all the big fish and selective harvest wasn't even a though. I wonder what the Erie fishery will be like in 5 years when all these breeders are no longer in the lake.  Kids should be taught responsibility not just going fishing and keeping everything you catch. Actually, they should be taught to put the trophies back so their kids have a fishery to enjoy.  Being a glutton doesn't apply to just eating.

You need to go to Erie and see what that lake is really all about.....

Offline stephen20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:44 PM »
The laws and regulations are set for a reason. If people catching these big fish are in the bounds of the regs, who is anyone to say they cant keep them? If biologists see a change in numbers, that may impact thr walleye, im sure changes would be made. So ill let biologists do there job, and ill stay within the regs, weather i wanna keep a 10 pound walleye or not, but its my decision at this point

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:44 PM »
Webster, barber, tippy are already world class musky waters. I have a friend who catches a couple of 50"+ fish out of there every year. But by nature those are catch and release fish for 99.9% of the people who fish them.

But will that give a boost to small businesses? And what does that have to do with anything? We were talking about catch and release and you bring up small businesses. The fact is keeping these big females hurts more than it helps and there is NO reason to keep them.

I think it is a healthy debate to have but keep it on point and logical. This isn't "thank you for smoking"
I would expect that reply from most people. However, it's narrow minded IMO... The government will diligently protect the things that impact their bottom line and special interests first. Why do you think there are some many CO's at the Maumee?  Come to Indiana, and let me know how many you run into. The state of Ohio will build another hatchery before they let their bread and butter decline because to many residents depend on it. Just like the government will bail out a huge automaker. Without going into economics and government policy to much, I think you will see that the ebb and flow is decided by the pain and prosper of state government and it's the biggest decider... Just look at a warm water discharge?! Is it killing more fish then it creates jobs?! Only the government gets to decide not the sportsman unfortunately.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:46 PM »

Between me and you, I don't know anyone that catches a couple 50"+ muskies out of those waters "every year". And I know a LOT of guys that fish for them out there. Sorry to get off topic, but that is a bold statement if you're anyone that knows anything about muskie and those waters in general. Not saying they're not in there, because I've seen them. I'm just sayin.

Offline Eastbay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:53 PM »
Between me and you, I don't know anyone that catches a couple 50"+ muskies out of those waters "every year". And I know a LOT of guys that fish for them out there. Sorry to get off topic, but that is a bold statement if you're anyone that knows anything about muskie and those waters in general. Not saying they're not in there, because I've seen them. I'm just sayin.

Not to go off topic but yes multiple 50"+ fish every year. He is an excellent musky fisherman and I have the pictures to prove it. That's not the point if the thread but pm me and I'll send you the proof if you want it.

Offline buckshotiii

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:54 PM »
I have personally been to Erie many times walleye fishing, so i know what it is about. My best out there is an 8.5 pounder, which i released.  This discussion, or should i say the statements that "we can never over fish lake x" are so ignorant and short minded that they fail to remember all of the great fishefies around the world which no longer exist because "they couldn't be overfished."  Just because you can "legally" do something is not a justification for doing something that is morally or ethically wrong or unwise. I fail to see why taking a great picture of a trophy fish is less manly than keeping the fish (not to mention the smaller ones taste better). 

Offline Eastbay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:00 PM »
"It's within the law" is the lamest excuse. There are bad laws.

And you want to rely on the government to regulate it properly but you are the same person who probably complains the government is "too involved in our lives" or "screws everything up it touches".

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:33 PM »
Agree on the big eyes. BS on the multiple 50's.
Photobucket can suck it

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:40 PM »
Agree on the big eyes. BS on the multiple 50's.
I knew there would come a time that we would agree on something  ;D

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:47 PM »
this lake has been spitting out fish at 10 lbs and larger for well over a decade. its everything a walleye needs to survive and the dnr are constantly doing test and surveys and they have dropped the daily limit twice in last decade. they are on the game over there. its not just a great fishery for walleye. has awsome catfish, perch, smallmouth too boot. slobs have been gettin pounded and chopped long before this internet came about to show the rest of the country. with that being said, what has changed on this lake in the last 10 years?? even during the mid summer months when these fish migrate to the next state to the east and get hammered and dont have eggs in them but still kept, what is the difference eggs or not? 45 million fish in the lake, im going to keep on keeping on! oh, and i forgot to mention what canadians and other tourists have kept out of this lake also. its not just the 03' hatch. there are multiple hatchs that have soared for this lake. u think the ice fishing is bad this winter?? go check out the jig bite. EVERY boat launch has hundreds of boats and even more trailers from guys hauling over. the guys that net perch during the summer, they fill quotas within a month, yet rhe lake continues to produce. i give kuddos to the dnr agencies involved on this lake all around! go get em boys! ;)
Got one goin'!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:57 PM »
Lake Erie walleye poplulation is nothing like it used to be.  There are still millions, but at last estimates it is below 15 million vs 41 million in the late 80's early 90's.  That is 1/3 the number of fish of Erie's hayday.  Add to that the spawns since 2003 have been bad to average with no excellent years due to heavy winds, muddy rivers and other factors and the population is not getting any better.  Soon those 2003 fish will all be dead.  They really need a good spawn this year to push the population back up above the 20 millon fish mark.  With the power plants killing off so many fry and YOY fish, I don't know why ohio does not increase the license fee 10 bucks per year and build a hatchery and dump 10-20 million walleye in there every year away from the power plants.  The place is an eye factory and has proven it can support 40 million+ walleye.  Ohio is gambling on nature being able to rebuild the population and it has not happened since 2003.  Another 10 years of bad spawns and the fishery will decline to a point the towns along the lake that thrive from it will crumble.  Those 10lb fish have spawned for at least 5 years.  They have tried to contribute to the fishery even if nature has decimated the spawning grounds almost yearly for the past 10 years.  I would not eat one that size, but would certainly keep one to mount.  I have no issue with those that want to keep the fish they catch, as I don't think returning a few 10lb fish are going to make one bit of difference in the overall spawn success out there.  Angler harvest is not the issue on Erie.  It is bad sring weather and the power plants that are the issue.  Like HT said...if Ohio has to, it will start a stocking program to sustain the fishery.  If they do, expect a big jump in the license cost to fund it.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:43 PM »
Lake Erie walleye poplulation is nothing like it used to be.  There are still millions, but at last estimates it is below 15 million vs 41 million in the late 80's early 90's.  That is 1/3 the number of fish of Erie's hayday.  Add to that the spawns since 2003 have been bad to average with no excellent years due to heavy winds, muddy rivers and other factors and the population is not getting any better.  Soon those 2003 fish will all be dead.  They really need a good spawn this year to push the population back up above the 20 millon fish mark.  With the power plants killing off so many fry and YOY fish, I don't know why ohio does not increase the license fee 10 bucks per year and build a hatchery and dump 10-20 million walleye in there every year away from the power plants.  The place is an eye factory and has proven it can support 40 million+ walleye.  Ohio is gambling on nature being able to rebuild the population and it has not happened since 2003.  Another 10 years of bad spawns and the fishery will decline to a point the towns along the lake that thrive from it will crumble.  Those 10lb fish have spawned for at least 5 years.  They have tried to contribute to the fishery even if nature has decimated the spawning grounds almost yearly for the past 10 years.  I would not eat one that size, but would certainly keep one to mount.  I have no issue with those that want to keep the fish they catch, as I don't think returning a few 10lb fish are going to make one bit of difference in the overall spawn success out there.  Angler harvest is not the issue on Erie.  It is bad sring weather and the power plants that are the issue.  Like HT said...if Ohio has to, it will start a stocking program to sustain the fishery.  If they do, expect a big jump in the license cost to fund it.

since 2003 there has been some great spawns, actually. yes none like the hatch of 03' and yes they have had some bad spawns, its nature, but no way u can sit there and say they have had a decade of bad spawns.
Got one goin'!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2014, 12:16 AM »
since 2003 there has been some great spawns, actually. yes none like the hatch of 03' and yes they have had some bad spawns, its nature, but no way u can sit there and say they have had a decade of bad spawns.

All you have to do is look at the stats to see it.  If you want to discard all the effort and work that goes into creating these stats, that is up to you.  See the link http://www.glfc.org/lakecom/lec/WTG_docs/annual_reports/WTG_report_2013.pdf  and look at table 9 and figure 8 in the document.  Table 9 clearly shows the 2003 year class had an index rating of 183+.  Since then the best years 2007 and 2010 have an index of 25 and 26 which are 1/7th of what was considered an excellent spawn.  1/7th of excellent is average at best.  Add in the other 6 years between 2003 and 2012 all had indexes in the single digits and you have 6 horrific year classes.  Figure 8 shows the 2003 class contributed 65 million walleye to the 2yr old class in 2005.  Since then only 1 year class (2007) has exceeded 10 million 2yr old fish.  2010 came close to 10 million 2 yr olds, but the rest of the years are  below 5 milion with the avg around 3 millon.  Tough to maintain a fishery when you are removing 1.5-2.75 million (anglers and commercial) fish a year and only getting and average of 3 million fish or less per year class making it to year 2 for 7 of the past 9 years.  You can add the 9 years of walleye making it to year 2 since 2003 and you are ~41 million.  That is 23 million less than the 2003 year class contributed by itself.  If you can't see Erie is in for a walleye crash when the 2003 year class is no more (barring a couple above avg or excellent spawns), then you are ingnoring the obvious.

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2014, 04:42 AM »
Here is about the best facts I have seen posted anywhere.  Quote credited to Wakina on Walleye.com.

"Astronomical numbers"

"Once the 2003 hatch became mature adults there were roughly 35,000,000 adult breeders in lake Erie! Now assuming that only half of those adults were females of breeding age that would be roughly 17,500,000 mature females. The average number of eggs laid by a mature female is roughly 250,000. Please read the last post in this thread in the provided link as it is my source for the average number of eggs laid per mature female."

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...ic,1075.0.html

"So with 17,500,000 females laying an average of 250,000 eggs each that would be a total of 4,375,000,000,000. That is (four trillion three hundred seventy five billion) eggs laid. If only 1% hatched, that would be 43,750,000,000 fry and if only 1% of those fry lived to maturity that would be 437,500,000 (four hundred thirty seven million five hundred thousand) walleyes that would have survived into adulthood. So since those numbers have not or were not ever realized there has to be more involved than the few thousand females taken just before and during the spawn as you can see those few thousand fish would have a very minor roll in the total overall egg production.
Some more good reading based on 2003!"

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...n.html#msg1644

"One more link!"

http://www.epa.gov/med/grosseile_sit...s/walleye.html

Furthermore, yes I agree with most about the females.  I spend quite a bit of time while being out there trying to catch 16 inch males.  I have been very proud of the guys I have taken out and that have fished with me because the females have been CPR only.  Does keeping these females have a dramatic impact on the fishery?  I don't know.  I do know that I won't be part of any decline due to keeping females.

Call me crazy, but I think I would rather get into a hot perch bite out there right now over catching walleye!!! 

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They're biting by that guy over there!!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:08 AM »
The next Indiana State Record Walleye will come from Lake Michigan in Indiana Waters....

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:24 AM »
Lets throw a light-hearted wrench into the mess..

Steuben,
 I don't know many guys on the site, us included, that have enough fingers and toes to count that high... Just sayin

Offline Big Icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drop jig hook repeat
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:35 AM »
My point is that the larger females (8# and larger) are not the fish that are supporting this population. It is the fish that are 18 to 24 inches. Those fish that people call "eaters" and are harvested just a bit more than the 10 pounders........
If there is fear of a walleye crash on Erie, then we need to rethink what is considered the proper fish to harvest, gentlemen.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:03 AM »
personally, i wouldnt keep anything near 10#. thats not because im worried about the population. it would be because of whats in the fish. with all the stuff allowed to be dumped into the great lakes, how cold they not be contaminated. i would choose to er on the side of caution. especially where my children are concerned!

also i dont think hook n line fishermen could even put a dent in that population. you could send a beginner out there with a rod and a rapala and he would catch fish. there are millions, no wait, billions of fish in there. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:50 AM »
If youve ever seen a decline in in a species population in a lake of a significant size, it is always due to ecological reasons ( bad spring spawns most often) and not changing bag limits to go along with the changing populations. There is no possible way that hook and line fisherman would decimate the population of walleye in a lake the size of Erie if the regs are followed and the DNR keep up on the changing dynamics of the populations. With thatbeing said, I feel Ohio DNR have a grasp on what is needed to keep the walleye healthy and plentiful. And with any lakes that have great fisheries, there is ALWAYS ups and downs in populations....its cyclical. Quit trying to shame everyone and make them go by "your rules". I think its bad manners to insinuate that someone who keeps trophy class fish is not a real sportsman.
Duane

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:51 AM »

BTW...I think they taste great !
Duane

Offline Nanner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ...Ice On...
« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:19 AM »
personally, i wouldnt keep anything near 10#. thats not because im worried about the population. it would be because of whats in the fish. with all the stuff allowed to be dumped into the great lakes, how cold they not be contaminated. i would choose to er on the side of caution. especially where my children are concerned!

also i dont think hook n line fishermen could even put a dent in that population. you could send a beginner out there with a rod and a rapala and he would catch fish. there are millions, no wait, billions of fish in there.

X2...I always want the smaller fish to consume...big to catch and release  ;) .. those big ones have many a year to store up all the contaminants. .. most fish that size shouldn't be consumed by children or pregnant women and by adults only once a month for a reason. .. hell I'm leery of bigger fish in local waters as well.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:29 AM »

the smaller class fish (males) stay in and near higher contaminated areas far longer than the females. they are staged in there far longer and even the females migrate to the east in deeper and 'cleaner' waters, while a good population of the males never migrate back west. so what is the difference between eating a 2-5 pound male, and a 7-11 pound female. the pcb's are there regardless. better just leave them for me, ill eat them!
Got one goin'!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.