Author Topic: Panfish Limits  (Read 19207 times)

Offline Underdog67

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Panfish Limits
« Reply #180 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:16 AM »
iowa, sodak, nodak... there is a start

Hmmmm.  Not the states I expected you to spit out.  My first 3 would have been Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan.  BTW......I have been through every state east of the Mississippi and quite a few west of it.  Don't get natural lakes confused with reservoirs.

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #181 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:19 AM »
I don't know about that.  Not many states have more natural lakes than we have here. 

Here's a read

http://wizzley.com/what-state-has-the-most-lakes/

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #182 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:22 AM »
Hmmmm.  Not the states I expected you to spit out.  My first 3 would have been Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan.  BTW......I have been through every state east of the Mississippi and quite a few west of it.  Don't get natural lakes confused with reservoirs.

i have yet to fish a reservoir, hence why i dont chip in any opinions on discussions of reservoirs, therefore i didnt get them confused by any means. and why would i mention YOUR first three picks when those 3 are major fishing states already known by many, so why not throw in a few states folks forget about, WHICH HAPPEN TO BE ON THE WEST SIDE OF THAT MISSISSIPPI
Got one goin'!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #183 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:23 AM »

Here's a read

cant get the page to load, ill have to come back later and try it out
Got one goin'!

Offline Underdog67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #184 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:28 AM »

Here's a read

Trust me, there aint nothing out there.  Head to Rhode Island all, the fishing capital of the USA!

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #185 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:29 AM »
Minnesota has the most lakes...Rhode Island has the most % of water vs land @ 13%.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #186 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:31 AM »
well at least rhode island has something!.. lol
Got one goin'!

Offline Underdog67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #187 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:14 AM »
i have yet to fish a reservoir, hence why i dont chip in any opinions on discussions of reservoirs, therefore i didnt get them confused by any means. and why would i mention YOUR first three picks when those 3 are major fishing states already known by many, so why not throw in a few states folks forget about, WHICH HAPPEN TO BE ON THE WEST SIDE OF THAT MISSISSIPPI

The predominant fishing states are those that lie in the Great Lakes area.  Ohio and Illinois for some reason being exceptions for icefishing purposes.  The thing about the area is it is not "mountainous".  Hard to have natural lakes when creeks run down from the hills. 

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #188 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:42 AM »
In order for the panfish limit to work, I think the idea that bluegills are just for dinner needs an overhaul. Sure they are great tablefare, but they are capable of trophy status in their own right. Catching a 2 lb. bluegill is the equivalent of catching a 12 lb. largemouth. And yes, they can get that large, even bigger actually, if conditions are right. I would rate catching a 1 lb. bluegill about the same as a 5 lb bass, odds wise, and I would cautiously estimate that 1 lb fish to be between 10-10.5" in length....possibly longer in many natural lakes.

That's where my idea of what constitutes a big bluegill begins. At the one pound mark. And pound for pound, they will put a largemouth to shame as far as action on the end of your line. They can be much more than a delicious supper or an excuse for a neighborhood fish fry, and a true biggun' is just as worthy of bragging rights as some other species more commonly thought of as trophy material.

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #189 on: Feb 20, 2014, 11:44 AM »
Wow! Where have I been? Love the passion! Slayer please don't quit post in pics (it motivated me to go catch a few) also appreciated the willingness to back off by some very mature MEN on here.
I can name a handful of lakes that( in IN.) that get a tremendous amount of pressure in both hard and soft water that r just factory's when it comes to reproduction but would be totally in favor of the 25 fish limit, something to consider is - what os the avg life span of a bluegill that doesn't get caught? I know crappie r about 4 yrs

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #190 on: Feb 20, 2014, 02:01 PM »
MATURE MEN!!! Joe you calling us old??!! Lol

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #191 on: Feb 20, 2014, 02:07 PM »
I didnt say old but since you suggested it I would say ya, your to old be messing with some of us younger bucks! Lol you asked for it Scott!

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Feb 20, 2014, 02:26 PM »
I didnt say old but since you suggested it I would say ya, your to old be messing with some of us younger bucks! Lol you asked for it Scott!

Lol!!!

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #193 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:00 PM »
Alaska wins the most lakes in a state.

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #194 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:35 PM »
I'm not in favor of any 25 fish limits on bluegills. I need way more than that for bait when fishing for flatheads.

Offline wlatrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Feb 23, 2014, 09:57 PM »
I know this subject has been talked to death , I would like to add my two cents. I just turned 70 this year and while that doesn't make me an expert it does give me some history to draw on. In the last 40 or so years of fishing I have seen the size of fish caught not only here in Ind. but in a lake we fish in Wisconsin decrease. In Wis. we would regularly get fish in the 3/4 to 1 lb. range on a fairly regular basis. The size decreased and 20 or so yrs. ago they reduced the limit.  The last few years we have again caught fish in the 3/4 lb. range. Locally I have seen the size decrease in the last 25 yrs.I honestly don't think you can continue to take 5 gallon buckets full of fish and continue to have a quality and quantity fishery. Many of you know of Rice lake in  Canada. Although I have never been to the lake I remember on of the first group of guys from here that went up there and came back with gigantic gills. Years later the same guys reported the size had dropped .There again they took literately thousands. I understand they put a limit on them. I believe a 25 limit would in a few years give us a return of larger fish. I am all for it. I like pulling those big gills in that I am getting across the line in Mich.  Just my two cents worth . Thanks for listening.

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #196 on: Feb 23, 2014, 10:14 PM »
I know this subject has been talked to death , I would like to add my two cents. I just turned 70 this year and while that doesn't make me an expert it does give me some history to draw on. In the last 40 or so years of fishing I have seen the size of fish caught not only here in Ind. but in a lake we fish in Wisconsin decrease. In Wis. we would regularly get fish in the 3/4 to 1 lb. range on a fairly regular basis. The size decreased and 20 or so yrs. ago they reduced the limit.  The last few years we have again caught fish in the 3/4 lb. range. Locally I have seen the size decrease in the last 25 yrs.I honestly don't think you can continue to take 5 gallon buckets full of fish and continue to have a quality and quantity fishery. Many of you know of Rice lake in  Canada. Although I have never been to the lake I remember on of the first group of guys from here that went up there and came back with gigantic gills. Years later the same guys reported the size had dropped .There again they took literately thousands. I understand they put a limit on them. I believe a 25 limit would in a few years give us a return of larger fish. I am all for it. I like pulling those big gills in that I am getting across the line in Mich.  Just my two cents worth . Thanks for listening.

Thanks for the input! I listen anytime the guys that's have been doing it for that many years that have witnessed first hand the changes.  I'm hoping to make it to Michigan soon to see some of these giants first hand. If their in fact worth the extra drive I'll start hitting it up just for the added fight.  Thanks again!

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #197 on: Feb 24, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Personally, I'd prefer a closed season during the spawn and unlimited the rest of the year instead of a 25 fish limit year round.  Eight people in a pontoon boat could still keep 200 fish a day during the spawn, but those same people aren't as likely to catch near that many during the dog days when the fish go deep.  I like fishing when they're deep though.   ;)
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline perchunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Need perch, will travel.
« Reply #198 on: Feb 28, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Not seeing the difference tween 8 in a pontoon or 4 boats with two people each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??? 'cept less boats.
The man with the most holes wins.

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #199 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:40 AM »
AMEN

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.