Author Topic: Why do ice guys seem to keep everything? Including game fish?  (Read 9202 times)

Offline pgaschulz

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm an ice guy and love to catch fish but seeing some of these picture of fish being caught and kept I just don't understand...really nice pike over 30 inches and bass over 20 inches along with eyes...then I see people keeping over 100 pan fish in a day then go back out the next day to do it again...then they complain later the lake is not producing.   Maybe I don't see it during open water but it sure seems more fish are destroyed during ice time.  Today I was out and watch two guys leaving with a bunch of pan fish and three bass ( two over 20) and a huge pike.  I kept 12 fish total (6 crappie and 6 gills) because I know I have a lot of time left.  But keeping over 100 pan fish a time come on!  THOUGHTS?

Offline JPjunkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP ON KEEPIN ON
Re: Why do ice guys seem to keep everything? Including game fish?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2013, 10:42 PM »
Now you opened a can of worms ;D

Offline pgaschulz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2013, 10:45 PM »
Now you opened a can of worms ;D
Not a can, just the truth.....I just don't get it.....

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2013, 10:47 PM »
I can only speak for myself.

I mainly fish for bass all year so whatever i catch during the winter i like to put in the freezer.

Offline pgaschulz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2013, 10:49 PM »
I can only speak for myself.

I mainly fish for bass all year so whatever i catch during the winter i like to put in the freezer.
So everything you catch goes I the freezer during the winter including a 21 inch bass?
If so why don't you keep it them in summer?  If not then what is everything?

Offline JPjunkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP ON KEEPIN ON
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2013, 10:52 PM »
Its sort of to each his own I see your point and Im the same way I catch a supper or two and leave the rest for the next guy People have there own reasoning and views and thats how it is right or wrong

Offline pgaschulz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2013, 10:55 PM »
Its sort of to each his own I see your point and Im the same way I catch a supper or two and leave the rest for the next guy People have there own reasoning and views and thats how it is right or wrong
I agree and by no means am I saying what is right or what is wrong....

Offline JPjunkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP ON KEEPIN ON
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2013, 10:58 PM »
Do what makes yourself feel good about your stewardship of nature and thats all you can do ;D

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2013, 11:02 PM »
Alot of people that target bass do not keep them, like myself 99% of the time

Plenty of bass out there in the lakes for a guy to keep one if he chooses no matter the size.

My father was a keeping machine. All of his fish went to great use though, they got eaten. Every time he had company at the campground, superbowl parties, dinner several nights a week, etc, etc... He was always frying fish because everybody loves some fillets.

As long as it goes to good use, why would it bother you?

I had a feeling the post of the rubbermaid container with all the slab gills would bother somebody :roflmao:

Offline pgaschulz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2013, 11:06 PM »
Alot of people that target bass do not keep them, like myself 99% of the time

Plenty of bass out there in the lakes for a guy to keep one if he chooses no matter the size.

My father was a keeping machine. All of his fish went to great use though, they got eaten. Every time he had company at the campground, superbowl parties, dinner several nights a week, etc, etc... He was always frying fish because everybody loves some fillets.

As long as it goes to good use, why would it bother you?

I had a feeling the post of the rubbermaid container with all the slab gills would bother somebody :roflmao:
  It does not bother me, it's just a question....however I am on the side of letting larger fish go it keep the population strong...I guess I have to change my ways...

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2013, 11:10 PM »
  It does not bother me, it's just a question....however I am on the side of letting larger fish go it keep the population strong...I guess I have to change my ways...

You don't have to change your ways, just quit worrying about others.

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2013, 11:12 PM »
I think it bothers u more than what your admitting, but it wouldn't bother me if they put  a 25 bag limit on gills either , as far as eyes go , if its 25" and below , chances r its fryin , now I don't see people pulling limits of eyes everyday thru the ice either

Offline pgaschulz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2013, 11:13 PM »
Do what makes yourself feel good about your stewardship of nature and thats all you can do ;D
I will, trust me...

Offline pgaschulz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2013, 11:16 PM »
I think it bothers u more than what your admitting, but it wouldn't bother me if they put  a 25 bag limit on gills either , as far as eyes go , if its 25" and below , chances r its fryin , now I don't see people pulling limits of eyes everyday thru the ice either
It really doesn't, I took 50 gills last year with a buddy out of a Wisconsin lake, just not sure what side of the fence I am on...I  see both sides....

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2013, 11:19 PM »
I think the answer is very simple, yet very complicated. I think it widdles down to two concepts:

1. Because they want to
2. Because they "can"

***If you don't wanna read my longwinded response, just see my two points above. If not, proceed.***

First, the want. The reasons people want to keep that many fish or certain types of fish are various and motivated by different reasons. For some it is solely for the purpose of food, whether that be for them and their family, or that they give them out to others they know that either don't fish or can't. While food is the only real reason to keep any fish unless you plan on mounting it, there are also other factors that play into it as well. These include how often they get out, who they're fishing with, if they fish/ what they fish for in the summer, and for some, (albeit unfortunate) what ego they have to fill. I for example, rarely fish for panfish in the summertime because I am a big bass fisherman. By bass fisherman, I mean for sport as in tournaments, etc. I must admit, that it irks me a little when people taking bass home to eat, solely because I fish for them for sport and there are fish that taste much better in my opinion. BUT if they are doing it in the confines of the law, I soon realize that I can't do anything about it and that there is a reason for the size limit on bass. I think about the biological ramifications and soon realize that there are no real predators (aside from true trophy pike/musky)  for a 14" bass and especially a a 20" bass as was stated in the original post. Same goes for some of the other bigger fish, like pike, and walleye. There is a reason these laws are made, and the decisions to make these laws are based on environmental studies among other things. Which brings me to the second point.

People take the quantity, quality and type of fish that they do because the law allows it. I realize sometimes there are those that do not follow the law, but that is the case for any law. It is our jobs as sportsman to report these infractions and keep the waters to the standards set forth by the DNR. However, if you compare Indiana to Michigan, one may argue that their lakes are better managed/produce better fish. I would be one of those people. Having fished in northern IN and southern MI my whole life, I can say that Michigan lakes, are for the most part better in my opinion. Now, it would be unfair to place the reason for that solely on the restrictions they have. Some of these restrictions include a 25 fish bag limit on all panfish (bluegill, redear, crappie, and perch). This is mixed bag, not 25 per species. They also have the catch & release season for bass during the spawn in MI. That being said, the majority of people respect the law, and people will fulfill their rights all the way up to that threshold. Just like on speed limits, people push the law, and there is almost an unwritten rule now that 5 over is acceptable. If you can work 8 hours and make a whole weeks pay, why would you work all week? I know someone will say, "Well if they catch 100 gills everyday for a week, that will ruin the fishery." Of course I cannot speak intelligently of every fishery. But personally, I can count on one hand the times where we have pinned down a group of keeper fish for a long duration of time like that. Also, if people are catching that quantity of fish that consistently, there is most likely an abundance in that body, and I doubt it ruins the fishery. It may "ruin" a spot for a little while, but there will still be fish somewhere else in the lake. But, like I said, the rules are the rules and if people aren't breaking them, nothing can be done. It may even be a benefit in the long run.
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline Hermdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard, Die Happy
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2013, 04:49 AM »
This dude sounds like James Phillips, KPC news fishing expert,  to me!!

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2013, 05:06 AM »
Lakes are fine I put up thousands a year. DNR keeps a watchful eye on what's going on. The big lakes anymore don't even get pressured like the old days. Take the lake James chain for instance. Old days plenty of fishermen now days speed boats and cruiser toons. Handful of people fish it in the soft water season.  Kids to busy on the xbox to go fishing so it's a dying sport for sure. Plus majority of people like me do it for fun socialization meeting new people.  Plenty of times I give fish to other guys that can't make it out anymore due to health or age. It's all good. Some days I just try out new ice bug creations.  Other days I'll pound out bucket fulls.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2013, 05:18 AM »
1.) BBQ'd bass over hickory, drizzled with lemon and butter is delicious.

2.) Flash frozen gill filets are better than warm summer time gills any day.

3.) The DNR sets limits and seasons that allow fishermen and women to cull a specific limit while keeping in mijd sustainability. Albeit not perfect, it is the frame work we live within.

4.) Some folks prefer catch and release, I wish there were more of tou, leaves more fish for me to catch and eat!

5.) There is joy to putting food on the table the old fashioned way, be it hunting, gathering or fishing.

6.) It is a plain shame that one sportsman would condemn other sportsmen and women for legally fishing, legally harvesting and legally KEEPING what they worked so hard for. Pita and the other wacko groups love people like you. You contribute to the internal fight in our sporting world that pits us against one another and erodes us from within. Just want the antis want. Sorry to see your lack of respect for law abiding sportsmen.

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:00 AM »
He's just asking why some people keep everything they catch.
I couldn't say the last time I kept a limit.

Offline JPjunkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP ON KEEPIN ON
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:02 AM »
I dont think he is on the ANTI SIDE I think he is curious :)

Offline Backbay Gunner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:09 AM »
Bottom line. We all have opinions. As long as we follow the law there are several choices we as sportsman can make. Questioning on another with regard to ethics should not be an option. We have plenty of other opponents out there.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:31 AM »
I'm an ice guy and love to catch fish but seeing some of these picture of fish being caught and kept I just don't understand...really nice pike over 30 inches and bass over 20 inches along with eyes...then I see people keeping over 100 pan fish in a day then go back out the next day to do it again...then they complain later the lake is not producing.   Maybe I don't see it during open water but it sure seems more fish are destroyed during ice time.  Today I was out and watch two guys leaving with a bunch of pan fish and three bass ( two over 20) and a huge pike.  I kept 12 fish total (6 crappie and 6 gills) because I know I have a lot of time left.  But keeping over 100 pan fish a time come on!  THOUGHTS?

For those that seemingly missed the condemnation of those keeping limits. The blame for waters being void of fish. Tje "come on" comment. Lot more than just a queation.  ::)

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:53 AM »
I think it's hard for an angler to release fish when they're coming out of the water hot and heavy. Especially panfish such as gills and crappie. Like most I have an opinion, as well as a thought or two, at least where Bluegills are concerned.

This topic seems to come up every year, and every year I say the same things. And I suppose my feelings haven't changed much from last season. Where gills are concerned, I place greater emphasis on quality of fish kept vs. quantity. The big males are critical to maintaining the sizes we all like to see. I believe those should be harvested judiciously. I also know that not every BOW is the same.....

Many will proclaim that as long as one is operating within the rules and regs set down by the DNR that all is well. If there were a problem, the DNR would address it. And personally I agree with this, to a point. If you're legal, then more power to you...no criticism here. But, I would also point out that the DNR is probably underfunded, with a lot of projects underway and little money and/or manpower to get them accomplished. And....the DNR here in Indiana considers a harvestable Bluegill to be 6" in length. And they manage a BOW with that in mind. Don't know about you, but I like my BG to be a little larger.

We all do what we think is right. I have never been a meat fisherman, and I don't freeze fish...I have no problem with those who do, provided they are within the law. However, I would point out that the reasons given for justifying a large harvest are actually a moot point where the BOW is concerned. it doesn't matter that an angler provided the fish for the neighborhood fish fry, or that he/she gave them to folks who are no longer able to get out, or they took the fillets to the local shelter....all noble reasons for keeping a large amount of fish. But the water doesn't care that you are being the good samaritan.....it just knows the population dynamics have been altered due to harvests.

There are instances when it's a good thing to remove that many fish, othertimes it may cause harm in doing so. Every lake is different, and may react differently to large harvests. If you think harm is being done, then contacting the DNR is probably your best bet. Just remember that an electroshocking survey, and creel surveys, take time and money to perform.

It doesn't matter at all to me, as I no longer fish public water. Just a diehard BG enthusiast's opinion.

Offline sturner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:04 AM »
Tourney fishermen hate when people keep bass because it is about making money to them. I have seen tourney fishermen let bass go that float away belly up. How is that conservation. I would rather see people eat them than let them go to the turtles.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:09 AM »
I think it's hard for an angler to release fish when they're coming out of the water hot and heavy. Especially panfish such as gills and crappie. Like most I have an opinion, as well as a thought or two, at least where Bluegills are concerned.

This topic seems to come up every year, and every year I say the same things. And I suppose my feelings haven't changed much from last season. Where gills are concerned, I place greater emphasis on quality of fish kept vs. quantity. The big males are critical to maintaining the sizes we all like to see. I believe those should be harvested judiciously. I also know that not every BOW is the same.....

Many will proclaim that as long as one is operating within the rules and regs set down by the DNR that all is well. If there were a problem, the DNR would address it. And personally I agree with this, to a point. If you're legal, then more power to you...no criticism here. But, I would also point out that the DNR is probably underfunded, with a lot of projects underway and little money and/or manpower to get them accomplished. And....the DNR here in Indiana considers a harvestable Bluegill to be 6" in length. And they manage a BOW with that in mind. Don't know about you, but I like my BG to be a little larger.

We all do what we think is right. I have never been a meat fisherman, and I don't freeze fish...I have no problem with those who do, provided they are within the law. However, I would point out that the reasons given for justifying a large harvest are actually a moot point where the BOW is concerned. it doesn't matter that an angler provided the fish for the neighborhood fish fry, or that he/she gave them to folks who are no longer able to get out, or they took the fillets to the local shelter....all noble reasons for keeping a large amount of fish. But the water doesn't care that you are being the good samaritan.....it just knows the population dynamics have been altered due to harvests.

There are instances when it's a good thing to remove that many fish, othertimes it may cause harm in doing so. Every lake is different, and may react differently to large harvests. If you think harm is being done, then contacting the DNR is probably your best bet. Just remember that an electroshocking survey, and creel surveys, take time and money to perform.

It doesn't matter at all to me, as I no longer fish public water. Just a diehard BG enthusiast's opinion.

absolute perfect reply!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline mfick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fly Fish
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:13 AM »
I understand exactly where the op is coming from.. I generally flyfish in the open water, and practice C&R exclusively.  The difference between the cast of characters that fly fish and ice fish is vastly different.  I will keep a meal or two worth of fish from under the ice, though.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:38 AM »

I understand exactly where the op is coming from.. I generally flyfish in the open water, and practice C&R exclusively.  The difference between the cast of characters that fly fish and ice fish is vastly different.  I will keep a meal or two worth of fish from under the ice, though.

And now we have stereo typing from another C and R sportsman..... you may be surprised at the wide array of "characters" ss you call them that do both ice fishing and fly fishing.

Offline tmhoag1015

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:44 AM »
I understand where you are coming from here. I watched people keep limits of 5" gills this weekend. I understand if you are catching nice gills then they will go on the ice, but why keep fish sticks?

I used to fish a cove on Rose Lake in Coldwater, MI. There would be people out there everyday keeping their limits day after day (they didn't seem to care the size). After 4 straight years of being fished like that the fish never came back.

Also, I have caught many nice Pike in my day. A few 40+ and have never kept them.  Those are the type of fish that keep the babies coming so we can keep catching them.  I watched two 38+ pike caught this wknd out of a smallish lake and kept. Not very sustainable if people keep big females like that out of a small lake.

To each their own, but I prefer to keep eaters and take pictures of the monsters. Smaller pike/walleye/bass are better eating anyway, so why not let the big ones go to reproduce?
Take her easy, if she's easy take er' twice

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:57 AM »

Great post! I feel just about the same way. Especially about your point that every lake is different. Some are just fish factories and can withstand heavy pressure and harvest. Others, not so much. In a lot of places, selective harvest can really hurt the size structure and cause stunting, particularly with sunfishes and northern pike. It's hard the DNR to survey each and every lake, estimate harvest for every lake, and pass regulations for every lake. They just don't have the funding, and in a lot of cases it really complicates things regulations-wise.

Pike are especially vulnerable through the ice, and since in most lakes they are slow growing (obviously there's exceptions there too) it doesn't take too much harvest to crop off the bigger pike, which eventually, if sustained, can lead to a hammer-handle factory. And then you're really stuck, because nobody wants to harvest a 20 inch skinny pike, so harvest actually goes down, when in reality it needs to go up and remove a lot of the small pike so the remaining ones can grow bigger.

I practice selective harvest myself, but I love to eat fish. I won't complain about anybody as long as they are staying within the law, but I do worry sometimes when you see buckets of large fish going home routinely on some water bodies.

Offline DannyBoy74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:18 AM »
Sprkplug has some great points for certain. Unfortunately, the State of Indiana has limited resources and quite a population. I have watched two smaller lakes near Lafayette become dead zones because of overfishing. I love to eat fish as well, but the harsh reality is Hoosiers do not have the natural resources that say Michigan, Minnesota or Wisconsin have. These states also rely on there natural resources for there states well being so they are better managed. This type of thing will always be an issue for Hoosiers. Just my opinion, as humble as it can be.     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.