Author Topic: Maxi  (Read 9889 times)

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Maxi
« Reply #90 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:09 PM »
  I think Maxi is a cool lake, and because of a lack of Indiana icefishers participating, this will be our last major tournament. This is completely different than a derby or a one man tournament. A lot of great people involved, helping to promote this great sport of icefishing,and are looking for more. If you don't fish this tournament, at least come out and check out the free seminar and kids clinic.  TEAM MOHAWK  #3

Well this sucks I hope that they reconsider having one here in Indiana there is a lot of guys here that love to do events like this . I am sure the lack of ice is one factor a lot of us are having a hard time finding good ice on lakes that are much smaller and freeze faster than Maxi.  And like High flags said the economy in this area has been no help at all . A lot of guys have been laid off or just slow at work and not getting the hours they need to make ends meet let alone take off work to prefish and then put up $100 just to enter . I think also on Maxi. you may have had more people interested in this if they were fishing for gill and perch instead of gill and crappie . 

Offline tritondon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:18 PM »
pgashulz hit the nail on the head. $100 entry fee isn't the problem. There isn't enough ice and by saturday there's going to be even less. I would probably fish but i'm not going to sit 50 yards from the bank in 4 foot of water trying to catch fish there.

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
« Reply #92 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:24 PM »
I highly respect everyones thoughtfulness and concern but for those who are not out there on a daily basis (like Myself) and living 10 min away i keep a very close eye o conditions and what freezes when and since i have been out there everyday for the last week it is safe fishing for now,  my only hope is for it to hold out.  I am meeting with Warren in the morning and everything will be locked in I assure you. I agree that it would be a whole lot better turnout if we had 12 in and atv compatible.  i myself will agree the crappie bite is almost null and void so it will be interesting to say the least. BTW i am fishing it after all.
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #93 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:38 PM »
BTW i am fishing it after all.

Good Luck Bill....Hope you catch some dandy gills and a crappie or two and hope the ice stays safe!  Like to see you make the national tournament.   ;D
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Mohawk Scout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:08 PM »
My Grandparents have a place on Max and to read everything here and to see the forecast its a complete joke they are even thinking about running this event....I was there yesterday and the lake is not safe....good luck everyone and be safe but the organizers should be ashamed of themselves....
   Where on the lake does your grandparents live/ Send a message to first sargent and we will have that area coned off.

Hay Sarge< see you friday

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #95 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:10 PM »
Good Luck Bill....Hope you catch some dandy gills and a crappie or two and hope the ice stays safe!  Like to see you make the national tournament.   ;D

Agree ....good luck!  I hope you win the cash and the event goes off without any incidents.

Offline JPjunkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP ON KEEPIN ON
« Reply #96 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:40 PM »
Never mind i went to the events board

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:02 PM »
     To bad for Indiana. but just don't blame the fisherman.   I  think your organization could have done a better job promoting it.   We have a bus load of dedicated ice fisherman in our state. The last few years have been a challenge with the Economy and the poor ice conditions that may have lead to the low numbers.  Also there are a lot of other events going on at the same time.   

What is the number of local teams needed to have a return visit to IN ? What did you expect to get?
I agree with High Flags, promote it! I had no idea of this. Never even heard of it.  I know a lot of fishermen that have never heard of it too. Yes this year may not be too many but keep coming and I bet you will see a better turn out each year. Don't expect a grand turnout your first year.  I would like to come see this myself sunday.
Gator Nation

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Feb 07, 2013, 02:16 AM »
        After the fish house and equiptment inspections, all teams enter the lake between the orange cones and return before 1PM between these cones with your fish counted............... ...........Tournament Director and camera crew is excluded from the rule. Observers will have ability to check 15 foot distances during the tournament.

Sounds like all entered will have a great time, gl all. Just out of curiosity, sounds like there will only be one set of cones to go thru at start and finish. If so then I would assume the fishing area will be small and ice probably not safe enough to walk far from the cones.  Not fishing in it just curious on the cone rule.

Would be interesting to see what they all pull from the lake. Read in your rules about a camera crew. If there is any video or photos taken and posted online, can the director add a link for us to look.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline philk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chasin that 12# eye
« Reply #99 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:23 AM »
First of all "Good Luck Bill and Rocky". 
I have had conversations with Kathy Roberts the last two years  concerning the Maxi event.  We were entered and paid for both.  Last year’s event was cancelled.  This year we waited till a week or so ago before pulling out.  Reason being marginal ice conditions.  I will not participate unless machine are allowed.  I am not a young pup and with two knee surgeries, major back and shoulder surgery it’s next to impossible to do a walking tourney.  I too have fished these waters for years. I know that some of the better fishing grounds and my marked spots are not safe enough to even get to walking.   If you look at previous tourney results you will see the differences in amount of participants from a walking tourney to a machine tourney.  So I will pass on this one.
I will say that if you are interested in more information go to this link:
 http://www.naifc.com/organization.php
You can also go to http://www.icemen.tv/ and click on "episodes/vids" and watch previous tournaments.  This gives you a real feel of whom and what they are.  There are some unbelievable sticks that fish in these tourneys.  I was able to meet world champion Tony Boshold at the St Paul show last year and I was shocked at some of the jigs he had.  Remember some of these guys are world champions!
If you get a chance head over for the seminars and see what it's all about.  Me I'll be on Sag Bay with my machine chasing that 12# eye.
Again "Good Luck" to Bill and Rocky
Maybe I'll travel to one of the tournies in the ice belt but that's only if I can get my partner out of the tanning booth. LOL

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:34 AM »
I'm bummed its not coming back to... The forecast and ice conditions make it to risky for me. When the whole lake is froze and safe it would allow the cream of the field to rise to the top and prevail making it more worth the money. With limited ice everybody will be piled on top of each other (16 ft) and its more of a swimming pool filled with fish tournament and you have to hope the big one bites your hook before the guy next to you. Its not like you're reading a map, analzing fish migration patterns, targeting monster unpressured fish. It's more of a gambling game then a test of skill and wisdom when your limited to 20 acres. The home field advantage goes away, and the guys will the biggest b**ls may have the best chance because he's willing to go on the skinniest ice (and that's we're the dangers lie). If this gets cancelled and rescheduled for next year, I'd definitely fish it if there was safe ice on the whole lake... Even if its not quadable. I understand both sides... but just disappointed that the judging factor of not coming back is because the lack of Indiana anglers not looking to put their life at risk to fish a tournament to hope they come back next year. Just my 2 cents.
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline Mohawk Scout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:19 AM »
First of all "Good Luck Bill and Rocky". 
I have had conversations with Kathy Roberts the last two years  concerning the Maxi event.  We were entered and paid for both.  Last year’s event was cancelled.  This year we waited till a week or so ago before pulling out.  Reason being marginal ice conditions.  I will not participate unless machine are allowed.  I am not a young pup and with two knee surgeries, major back and shoulder surgery it’s next to impossible to do a walking tourney.  I too have fished these waters for years. I know that some of the better fishing grounds and my marked spots are not safe enough to even get to walking.   If you look at previous tourney results you will see the differences in amount of participants from a walking tourney to a machine tourney.  So I will pass on this one.
I will say that if you are interested in more information go to this link:
 http://www.naifc.com/organization.php
You can also go to http://www.icemen.tv/ and click on "episodes/vids" and watch previous tournaments.  This gives you a real feel of whom and what they are.  There are some unbelievable sticks that fish in these tourneys.  I was able to meet world champion Tony Boshold at the St Paul show last year and I was shocked at some of the jigs he had.  Remember some of these guys are world champions!
If you get a chance head over for the seminars and see what it's all about.  Me I'll be on Sag Bay with my machine chasing that 12# eye.
Again "Good Luck" to Bill and Rocky
Maybe I'll travel to one of the tournies in the ice belt but that's only if I can get my partner out of the tanning booth. LOL

Great post. I have fished in 30 of these tournaments, in the past 11 years. The old Trap Attack That Dave Genz started, and now the NAIFC. They always have had great tallant. Dave used to show up at every tournament. I have learned so much since becomeing involved with this series, and have met so many great fishers. I would like to see this grow. The old Attacks had up to150 teams. I think I agree that the economy has hurt this series. I,m working 35 hrs. a week, making half the income I was 7 years ago, but the money I make on side jobs gets saved for a couple tournaments each year. 
  I will be heading to Culver after work tonight. We are renting a house with Rocky and his partner and Warren and The Crappie Professor Jim. Come on out and check it out. Scout

Offline professor29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:01 AM »
I don't think the decision to come back is based on local teams fishing an event...I think the fact that 2 years in a row the weather did not cooperate with us is the problem...the staff work hard to provide a safe and diverse fishery based on several elements being present at a site to host the event...a place for the rules meeting...a place for the youth/seminars to be held,with a on ice demo at most events...parking for the participants the day of the fishing...local lodging for teams visiting the area...a location for the weigh-in(so locals can see the fish caught) makes for good P.R. for future events..just a few of the necessary things and I'm sure there is a lot of behind the scenes things I'm not aware of....They may come back who knows...just trying to help people understand that the staff are trying their best to show case this lake but mother nature is making it a tough go of it..I hope it happens,but I also know that safety is first...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.