Author Topic: Let's talk about perch  (Read 24272 times)

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Let's talk about perch
« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Hey Beets.....which Long lake?
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline dand6895

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:14 PM »
jigmup,
 Just wanted to say thanks for the info. Fairly new to hardwater, and really dont get out near as much as i like. Ive had a few very good days on gills and crappie, but i really want to figure perch out. Any way, thanks for the insight, much appreciated.
Take a kid fishing!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:42 PM »
You don't have to thank me! I'm not a "guru" nor king or final authority on the subject of perch fishing. I know what I know from years of drowning minnows but will never learn all there is but I absolutely love to fish for them and discuss fishing for them!

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:11 PM »
I to have a strong desire to search for the perch drilled a thousand + holes walked as many miles, I know that perch generally don't stay in one spot for long and only bite some of the time that they are there, but it seams to me they go through cycles were they peek (jumbos) every few years any were from 3 to 7 and never the same cycle  this may just be me ? what do you think jigmup I think high tide and I talked about this a few years back
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:24 PM »
I'd have to say that's true about the perch cycling and if you could graph the size on a body of water, I bet it would resemble a bell curve over a 9 year period. Not all lakes though......there are some lakes that constantly churn out big ones but the quantity fluctuates. I guess spawning habitat and conditions as well as angling pressure dictate that just like other species. Afterall, once word gets out about a monster perch bite, anglers hit it hard and if that is combined with a couple unsuccessful spawning years, I'm sure bad things happen.

About the finicky perch, I find that the suspended fish are the eaters. I reccommend that when you pick one up on the flasher while hole hopping and its high, you slow your decent a good ways above the fish! Everyone I fish with has experienced suspended slobbo perch moving on a bait way before the bait gets in front of them. I've seen them move up 10 to 12 feet from say 45 ft of water as the spoon is dropping!
That's not to say that the ones on the bottom won't feed, they do but the suspended ones are the ones that I have the most confidence will bite. That and pairs....when they are paired up or more....one of them is gonna bite. The competition must be too much for them.

Offline RynoIceMan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:31 PM »
Some good reading material!! Thanks guys!! I love learning new things especially since i want to start targeting perch more often, i catch em here n there on a few lakes around me but gonna start hitting em hard and strictly fishing for perch!
Didnt catch a damn thing! Guess you can say we took a lickn'
Tonights fish fry is gonna taste like chicken!
A Bad Day of Fishin' Beats a Good Day of Anything Else

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:39 PM »
I'd have to say that's true about the perch cycling and if you could graph the size on a body of water, I bet it would resemble a bell curve over a 9 year period. Not all lakes though......there are some lakes that constantly churn out big ones but the quantity fluctuates. I guess spawning habitat and conditions as well as angling pressure dictate that just like other species. Afterall, once word gets out about a monster perch bite, anglers hit it hard and if that is combined with a couple unsuccessful spawning years, I'm sure bad things happen.

About the finicky perch, I find that the suspended fish are the eaters. I reccommend that when you pick one up on the flasher while hole hopping and its high, you slow your decent a good ways above the fish! Everyone I fish with has experienced suspended slobbo perch moving on a bait way before the bait gets in front of them. I've seen them move up 10 to 12 feet from say 45 ft of water as the spoon is dropping!
That's not to say that the ones on the bottom won't feed, they do but the suspended ones are the ones that I have the most confidence will bite. That and pairs....when they are paired up or more....one of them is gonna bite. The competition must be too much for them.

Jigmup I have seen this also . If they come high and you are fishing down on the bottom you need to get your bait in its strike zone as fast as possible . 9 times out of 10 they will hit it and if you miss him on the first hit more time than not they will hit it again. And if I have more than one come I always take the highest one first if you take one off the bottom of the pack it seames like it spooks them and they don't stick around as long .

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:43 PM »
Yep, I always take the highest first too. In fact if I'm working a fish close to or just off bottom and a high one shows up, I reel up to the high one and more times than not the low one will come up and sometimes hot! Again competition. When getting down though I try to slow it up a ways above them so that I don't pull a goof ball and shoot past them and to give them some time to respond. If they are already suspended and they start humpin' when I'm 10ft away from them, I stop and let them come!

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:46 PM »
oh and they will come,,ya just hope that one on the bottom is a biggun,cause its gonna get there first

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:57 PM »
Jigmup I do that also . I have also seen a bait on the drop spook them off if you don't slow it down. I will also use the pound the bottom trick to bring them in if they don't seam to come in to the bait and you know they are down there or just off to the side . I will do this with small jigs or raps .

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Yeah, pounding the bottom when you're not marking them......fo sho! Good point!

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:13 PM »
I think it's very important to note, there are jumbos, and there are hog jumbos... If you're a sit and wait guy, I would recommend targeting other species. If you're an angler looking for consistent catches day-in, day out, Indiana jumbo perch may not be your thing. If you don't research your target fish extensively, hog jumbos will only be caught on your luckiest day. If you don't read creel surveys, and topo maps before each trip, go to church before you head out on Sundays, because you're gonna need him!

If you're not catching my drift, Jigmup spends more time and money than anybody I know not chasing perch, but chasing hog jumbos, and a good day for him is 10 in this state.  If he lived in South Dakota, he'd be averaging 50+ every trip! In short, Indiana jumbos will humble the most avid anglers, and you better do your homework and have patiences, and leave your pride at the bluegill channel. That is the best advance I can give on perch.
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:19 PM »
I think it's very important to note, there are jumbos, and there are hog jumbos... If you're a sit and wait guy, I would recommend targeting other species. If you're an angler looking for consistent catches day-in, day out, Indiana jumbo perch may not be your thing. If you don't research your target fish extensively, hog jumbos will only be caught on your luckiest day. If you don't read creel surveys, and topo maps before each trip, go to church before you head out on Sundays, because you're gonna need him!

If you're not catching my drift, Jigmup spends more time and money than anybody I know not chasing perch, but chasing hog jumbos, and a good day for him is 10 in this state.  If he lived in South Dakota, he'd be averaging 50+ every trip! In short, Indiana jumbos will humble the most avid anglers, and you better do your homework and have patiences, and leave your pride at the bluegill channel. That is the best advance I can give on perch.

This is very true I have a lot of days looking and miles walked across the ice to come back blank or with only one or two .

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:22 PM »
This is very true I have a lot of days looking and miles walked across the ice to come back blank or with only one or two .
Me too! More than I'd care to admit!  :'(

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:27 PM »
x3

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:28 PM »
I've also seen you walk off the lake with a great big smile on your face too, Doug

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Me too! More than I'd care to admit!  :'(
   yep I was there that day to thousand holes drilled that day and run the wheels of the atv

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:33 PM »
I've also seen you walk off the lake with a great big smile on your face too, Doug
Yeah, I'm luckier than most because I have this friend who eat, sleeps, and breaths jumbos... And even has a place to sleep! So when I get the call... I make time to chase jumbos!  ;D

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:35 PM »
   yep I was there that day to thousand holes drilled that day and run the wheels of the atv
Save a seat for me on that ATV!!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:36 PM »
and wigglers ;D

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:39 PM »
HELLGRAMITE's

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:41 PM »
I hate the days you mark them left and right and they don't commit and the only opportunity you had to stick one was when your rod just loaded when you were lifting and you forgot to cross his eyes! Yeah, all morning slobs, I'm talking huge bright marks down 36 ft and they move on it but don't give you any love!

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Ah the wigglers . I do use them from time to time and they do work . But I hate using them . Just because if you get a hit and miss him you have to pull up and put a new one on most of the time . When you can get them I like the fresh water shrimp they are smaller and don't stick off the hook as much.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:44 PM »
HELLGRAMITE's
tell me more kemosabe

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Yeah wigglers are tender and I would much rather be pegging them on minnow heads or eyes. I wonder if its the stink because they are ripe!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #55 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:50 PM »
they start humpin' when I'm 10ft away from them, I stop and let them come!

Wow....that just sounds wrong in so many ways!!!!!!  :roflmao: :nono:

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Wow....that just sounds wrong in so many ways!!!!!!  :roflmao: :nono:
I was gonna say something... But didn't want the thread to be locked!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:53 PM »
uh.. ??? did I say that?
seriously funny! ;D

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #58 on: Jan 20, 2013, 09:00 PM »
HELLGRAMITE's

Dragonfly larvae I believe.  we used to seine them from the river.  I would think it would be a summer bait...?

I remember fish hitting them aggressively!!!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 20, 2013, 09:09 PM »
I've used them for smallies in the river, great bait but I've never heard of ice fishing with them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.