Author Topic: right to work  (Read 14969 times)

Offline bronzwhaler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Regular people just dont understand why we do this
Re: right to work
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:06 AM »
Non union autoworker here and I realize that the only reason I have good benefits and pay is because of the presence of the UAW just outside the door of my plant. If not for the unions a lot of us would make less and have far fewer rights.

2nd point, Mitch also supposedly polled people about the toll road and got nothing but support for leasing that out, that sure is working out well for us Hoosiers isn't it? I will bet that he is using the same polling service for right to work.
Here is my take on this issue.  Like PLake Boy, I am a nonunion autoworker, and I believe the presence of unions have given me the benefits, pay and all the open door policies that I currently have.  My dad was union.  Was not a huge fan of it, but he understood what their purpose was.  The problem I have with this issue is this....and I consider myself as a moderate....is the fact that the lawmakers are choosing for us.  Why doesn't the Indiana lawmakers trust that we can make a decision for ourselves.  This last election, in Ohio, they had the same bill as a referendum and people got to vote.  Of course, the people voted it down....don't blame them.  Why can't we. the people of Indiana, vote bills.  I am not a huge fan of the time change and would have liked to been able to vote.  We are the most furthest western state on the eastern time zone  I really believe that 'Our Man Mitch' thinks he can push around the people of Indiana.  Can't wait till he is gone.  Either Rep or Dem, hope it is someone who will actually listen to the people of Indiana.  Just my 2 cents worth.
You can't fix stupid

Offline reno81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:17 AM »
Laborer l.u. #81 and proud! Although i bel. Rico said it best and on a site like this it might not belong. But for any of u disillusioned fools who back this garbage right to work bill......u have a comp.! Research right to work states! Look at things like poverty levels and more imp. Check out infant and child mortality rates in these areas and then think about right to work? Thanks for my two cents.

Offline ice_mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:37 AM »
IUE CWA local 901.  This bill will in the long run will destroy unions. Its a direct attack on the working class. The place I work is union and they are closing all the shops at another facility in Texas(Right to work State) to bring it here because its cheaper here. How can it be cheaper in a non right to work state than it is to make a product in a Right to work state. No argument from the Republicans and no answer from them either we have tried. Just a republican push to bury unions because Democrats receive money for campaigns from unions. For everyone's sake I hope this does not go through. Any way. Back to fishing hopefully....
Well said!!!
IUE CWA 84303 here

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:43 AM »
Wish it would be brought to a vote buy the taxpayers of Indiana. The way it now stands, it isn't looking good for us union brothers and sisters. Everyone needs to make a call to let the congressmen how you feel. VOTE NO.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:51 AM »
I am just biting my tongue. :P

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2012, 12:04 PM »
I say bust-em for many reasons.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2012, 12:09 PM »
 ???
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2012, 12:23 PM »
I am just biting my tongue. :P

LOL,,, GOOOOD BOOOOY!!!!!!

Offline BIGKAT9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 07, 2012, 01:52 PM »
Boilermaker Local 374  No to  RTW No good will come out of this for any working man or women, who will be the voice of workers if there are no unions .The Chamber of Commerce backs this bill because it knows if it kills the unions they can do what they want .I'm might be  biased because i'm union but the facts i have read by independent sources claim lower wages ,lost jobs, more injuries . lower standard of living .Ialso take issue with the term  lazy union workers ,in the building trades ,BOILERMAKERS,BRICKLAYERS,LABORERS CAPRPENTERS,IRONWORKERS,PIPEFITTERS,  INSULATORS ,SHEETMETAL ,OPERATORS ,ELECTRICANS  PAINTERS the old addage is "IF YOU CAN'T GET IT YOU CAN'T STAY " It means you don't work your gone.Idon't know how it is in other unions. On another note been back an forth from Valpo to Indy on Thurs.an Fri. along I-65 all i saw was open water       

Offline Hack58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 07, 2012, 02:36 PM »
I support Right to Work.  As was stated above, I believe in the individual's right to have a choice.

If the Union is as valuable as it claims, why would anyone choose not to join?  Also, if it weren't an all-or-nothing vote I believe you would find more shops voting in Unions, so why would the Union leadership be against this?  Instead today small shops are voting Unions out at an alarming rate.

I also believe the Union to be vital in the course of bringing America to the position is holds in the world today, but I'm not as certain that they haven't reached "critical mass" and need softened up a bit.

When the UAW's President can go on national TV and say that the for the UAW to take part ownership in GM would be a conflict of interest tells me that something is out of balance. To me this can be likened to executives of companies posting losses accepting huge bonuses.

I know this won't be the most popular post, just couldn't bite my tongue any longer.  I have the utmost respect for the skill and integrety of our Country's Union Workforce.  Just as with politician's, it's the Union staffing and people who make their money not from working for it but it from other's Union Dues that I take issue with.

Peace Out.......
Hack.
Tight lines everyone!

Offline linetugger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2012, 03:17 PM »
This is a no brainer.  DROP THE RIGHT TO WORK ISSUE!!! I have worked both union and non-union. Unions are the reason for a safe work place, and workers rights. Without unions we would be working in sweat shops, long hours right next to our children. And the kids would be working too just so we could afford to survive. I worked for a non union company out of Illinois and was sent to Florida (a right to work state). When the job ended I looked at working for several Florida companies so I could stay in Florida. They ALL only payed half what the Illinois company was paying for the same job. ALL non-union shops. Unions are what keep our wages at a livable rate. PREVAILING WAGE. MITCH does not care he is on his way out. And he is lying when he say's a majority of people support the bill. Just read all the post's on here. Only a few are for right to work.  Heck this bill is why we don't have ICE this year! Cause everyone is steaming over this bill.  VOTE DEMOCRAT   Plasterer's and cement finisher's local 692 !!   Union or non-union there will always be guy's who work hard, and other's who try to get by with little effort as possible, but when it come's time for lay-off the slackers usually go first.  UNION GUY'S ARE NOT AGAINST non-union   So why are scabs against unions??? They don't know any better!!!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 07, 2012, 04:13 PM »

LOL,,, GOOOOD BOOOOY!!!!!!

LMAO.........JT, I am ready to burst!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline BIGKAT9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 07, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Hack58 ,Can't say that i agree with you but it was well written ,on the point of choices ,the worker has the choice not to pay union dues but the union doesn't have a choice about representing said worker?,they have to or they would be breaking the law an that doesn't seem fair .To me this seems like theft of services ,

Offline wileycbii

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 07, 2012, 04:26 PM »
I wonder why is it that most of the above posters, people with discretionary funds, happen to have union jobs.  Seems to me the folks buying boats, guns and gear all have stable jobs with benefits.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 07, 2012, 05:28 PM »
I wonder why is it that most of the above posters, people with discretionary funds, happen to have union jobs.  Seems to me the folks buying boats, guns and gear all have stable jobs with benefits.

Maybe it is because alot of us are just being quiet?  It is a union post.  I stand by my first response......this sort of stuff shouldn't be allowed.  American Ice Fishing Local 1776.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 07, 2012, 05:44 PM »
   Rico can I join your Local?     right to fish!!!!  LOL 
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #46 on: Jan 07, 2012, 06:45 PM »
Maybe it is because alot of us are just being quiet?  It is a union post.  I stand by my first response......this sort of stuff shouldn't be allowed.  American Ice Fishing Local 1776.
politics and fishing DONT MIX and dont like this on our website either!
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #47 on: Jan 07, 2012, 06:46 PM »
LMAO.........JT, I am ready to burst!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Oh,I agree,I`m not real impressed here either,but biting my tongue will keep me from bootin myself off the board...

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 07, 2012, 06:49 PM »
;D
Fish on!

Offline Skinnybenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasin' Only Monsters,Catchin' Only Bait
« Reply #49 on: Jan 07, 2012, 07:04 PM »
I can't believe this thread isn't locked yet! C'mon guys this is an ice fishing forum
Give a man a Fish,Feed him for a day:Teach Him to Fish And He will Be Preoccupied the rest of his Life

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • there is no such thing as to many holes:)
« Reply #50 on: Jan 07, 2012, 07:07 PM »
Ice fishing forum yeah but with  no ice its become anything else but. :-\
Feels so nice doing it through the ice

Offline Ice Sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I would have waited.......
« Reply #51 on: Jan 07, 2012, 07:33 PM »
Ice fishing forum yeah but with  no ice its become anything else but. :-\
YUUUUUUUP

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 07, 2012, 07:35 PM »
It really doesn't matter either way.  I have been an hourly union employee and now a salaried non union employee.  The pay gap isn't much different anymore between union and non union labor jobs, and the quality of the product put out is no different.  My current role as a supply chain manager has me buying several commodities, and I don't see much difference in price or quality.

You can pick and chose where you work, if you don't want to be associated with a union find another place to work, if you wan't to be in a union then apply for jobs within a union company.  If you don't like the work conditions or mgmt style you can easily find a new job if you have some skills and can market yourself.

Pro of the union:  Holds mgmt accountable
Con of the union:  Seniority rights (should be most qualified, or who can do the best work)

The laziness stereotype is just that a stereotype.  In both union and non union places there were some who were lazy and there were some who worked their ass off.

With the exception of one place ("resigned" after a week) I have never felt unsafe with my working conditions and actually was required to work more hours and longer days when I worked within a union.  I personally haven't experienced better benefits with the union, in the union I had to pay $9/wk for full health insurance benefits on top of my dues.  Outside of the union the two jobs I have had since, $0 for much better health insurance covering both my wife and I, and the vacation time is better.  With the union job they put money aside into the pension plan without you having to contribute first, but the plans suck unless you are content with drawing 40-50k a year in retirement.  I prefer the more common retirement plan of managing your own money with a company match in a 401k or IRA where the payout is significantly higher.

I think the whole debate of for or against really stems deeper into politics rather than better pay and working conditions.  I am sure many people would be willing to pay dues and join, if the union didn't side with a specific political party.   

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 07, 2012, 07:37 PM »
I am right there with you Rico and JT.....my tounge is bleeding by now....but there will be no good that comes out of it.  It is a post for union members to vent.

Offline reno81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 07, 2012, 07:41 PM »
I would also like to join ice fishing local 1776! As long as you can promise 34.82 an hour! Lol.  Oh yea i almost forgot i gotta get bennies too! Sorry

Offline Left/Center

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 07, 2012, 07:44 PM »
This is a no brainer.  DROP THE RIGHT TO WORK ISSUE!!! I have worked both union and non-union. Unions are the reason for a safe work place, and workers rights. Without unions we would be working in sweat shops, long hours right next to our children. And the kids would be working too just so we could afford to survive. I worked for a non union company out of Illinois and was sent to Florida (a right to work state). When the job ended I looked at working for several Florida companies so I could stay in Florida. They ALL only payed half what the Illinois company was paying for the same job. ALL non-union shops. Unions are what keep our wages at a livable rate. PREVAILING WAGE. MITCH does not care he is on his way out. And he is lying when he say's a majority of people support the bill. Just read all the post's on here. Only a few are for right to work.  Heck this bill is why we don't have ICE this year! Cause everyone is steaming over this bill.  VOTE DEMOCRAT   Plasterer's and cement finisher's local 692 !!   Union or non-union there will always be guy's who work hard, and other's who try to get by with!!! little effort as possible, but when it come's time for lay-off the slackers usually go first.  UNION GUY'S ARE NOT AGAINST non-union   So why are scabs against unions??? They don't know any better!!! I cocur

Offline Left/Center

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 07, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Keep up the good fight fella's! Brickayer Local 1 Detroit...

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #57 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:22 PM »
I've been a union man for 25yrs,I've also worked in non union jobs.............My opinion is just that My opinion,I have no ice,I am depressed,Oh what I would give to be sitting over a couple ice holes and instead of politics all I could hear was the ice singing for me. :o

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #58 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:27 PM »
Biting my tongue until it bleeds here.  I also want to join the local 1776 for about 40 bucks an hour, please,lol.  I love this site and value my membership here to much to get key board happy. ::)
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:06 PM »
Biting my tongue until it bleeds here.  I also want to join the local 1776 for about 40 bucks an hour, please,lol.  I love this site and value my membership here to much to get key board happy. ::)

I think local 1776 pays in fish/hour depending on your desired species. ;D @)
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.