Author Topic: Probably gonna argue, but I got to get it off my chest.....this bothers me.  (Read 17965 times)

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
ihave pictures of two over 28 and the first one was mounted  only weighed the first one  and it was 14. 2 lbs

Bump for pics of said hogs.   ;D
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Bump for pics of said hogs.   ;D

guess its my turn BUMP
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
I`m gonna bump you both,in a min.. lol

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
Taxi, you must be the hamburger dude.... lol

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!  Yep.....that's Cecil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Taxi, you must be the hamburger dude.... lol

No I'm not that old! Thanks a lot!  :'(  ;D

Here's a pic of me taken last year when I was 52.

BTW this 10 5/8's inch bluegill that weighed 1 lb. 4 1/2 oz had floated up during a visit to a friend's pond in Ohio. It was barely alive. On another visit a good size perch was found floating. The inside joke is every time I show up a fish dies.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
Beautiful fish.. a perfect example of what is possible with proper bluegill management.

btw... you look okay too, Cecil...

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Beautiful fish.. a perfect example of what is possible with proper bluegill management.

btw... you look okay too, Cecil...

Thanks for the kind words but my wife is stuck with me and I'm stuck with her so it doesn't matter anymore what I look like.  ;D

More info about managing fish in ponds:

The friend catches bluegills from local ponds and puts them in a floating cage and feeds them. He uses commercial fish feed which he hydrates into a doughy pellet that sinks when it's pinched. You can get fish that aren't habituated to feed on pellets to feed on them that way.

When he can tell the males from the females he releases the males into the pond, and eats the ones that are females or he can't tell for sure. He's got some bruiser bluegills in his pond that way.

He also has some really nice yellow perch he manages with a slot limit. Here are some that came out when a friend came over to fish. Believe it or not these are not the biggest perch as they go back!

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Those are huge. Nice pictures

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
No pics yet huh? Oh well.
Paul

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  This thread just keeps on going and going and  going,   Nice MONSTER GILL taxi. that thing is like a circle or like a dinner plate.  COOL!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
No pics yet huh? Oh well.
Paul

I'm not holding my breath! This sounds more like the 17 inch perch some guys get all the time!  ;)

Offline keepinsorlips

• IceShanty Rookie
 :o This really needs to end!

Offline raisinrat

• IceShanty Rookie
to the guys that wounder where all the big panfish go this might be some food for thought.

Greedy fisherman = stunted fisheries (part one)
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
to the guys that wounder where all the big panfish go this might be some food for thought.

That is a good read, but there is alot more involved in lake to produce lots of 10+ inch gills than fishermen using selective harvest.  Sure they can have a part in the equation, but alot of other factors have to be right to get gills that big consistently.   Unfortunately, most people are happy with 8 inch gills in quantity verses trophy hunting for 10+ inch gills and throwing them back.  I don't think the DNR has any desire to create trophy gills and they manage for fisheries that can produce quantities of fish instead.

Offline backus

• IceShanty Rookie
We fish a lake in Minnesota that has a 5 bluegill limit....   It is an experimental program to try and see if certain lakes can produce bigger fish     ...So it is basically catch and release..    1 lb. bluegill are common...  A 1 lb. bluegill up there is app. 10 inches.......

Offline raisinrat

• IceShanty Rookie
That is a good read, but there is alot more involved in lake to produce lots of 10+ inch gills than fishermen using selective harvest.  Sure they can have a part in the equation, but alot of other factors have to be right to get gills that big consistently.   Unfortunately, most people are happy with 8 inch gills in quantity verses trophy hunting for 10+ inch gills and throwing them back.  I don't think the DNR has any desire to create trophy gills and they manage for fisheries that can produce quantities of fish instead.

I would stay tuned for part two. There is going to be some more great info coming I hear.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
We fish a lake in Minnesota that has a 5 bluegill limit....   It is an experimental program to try and see if certain lakes can produce bigger fish     ...So it is basically catch and release..    1 lb. bluegill are common...  A 1 lb. bluegill up there is app. 10 inches.......

Well that would be awesome to catch 1 lb. gills on a regular basis....but for those (the majority) that fish for gills to eat, it would not be worth the drive to the lake to keep 5.  I have no doubt a lake with all the right conditions can be managed to churn out big gills, but 95% of those big gills have to be thrown back to keep the fishery producing trophies.  I just don't see the interest from a ton of people to catch 10"+ gills only to throw them back.  If you want to catch big fish, fish for bass, pike, walleye, or musky.  There is a reason they are called panfish.  I still am for closing the season on gills when they spawn.  That is when the majority of big males are taken from the fishery.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict

Hmmm... this sounds very familiar!  The procedures talked about in this article are fundamental to improving and/or maintaining a quality bluegill fishery. However, as waxworm has stated there are other equally important aspects that must be addressed at the same time. The chances of everything coming together to create these trophies on a public body of water is slim indeed. A  trophy bluegill fishery should be treated the same as a trophy bass lake. A diehard  bass angler might be willing to travel great distances to fish for, and have a shot at, the bass of a lifetime. ONE bass. Bluegill are just not thought of in the same way. They are primarily a meat fish, table fare, not trophies.  A one pound bluegill is the equivalent of a five or six pound largemouth,  but no responsible angler would consider carrying 10-15 bass that size home for supper. As anglers, we've been taught to keep one largemouth for the wall, then practice catch and release unless we're lucky enough to land an even bigger one. Not so for bluegill. To be fair, you cannot compare bluegill and bass on a one to one basis, as there should be far more bluegill than bass on a properly balanced fishery, but you see my point. I am a firm believer in the strategies for growing big bluegills that I've discussed earlier in this thread. However, I just don't see how it could ever be made to work on a body of water open to the public. And I don't think many everyday anglers would be willing to spend time, money, and possibly travel a great distance, just to practice catch and release for bluegill, even trophy bluegill, on a private lake. If you're one of the few who would, then you probably already know about a certain lake in North Carolina.........

Offline backus

• IceShanty Rookie
Minnesota also has a daily limit of 20 bluegill and 10 crappie... which is also your possession limit  ...You don't go to Minnesota to fill your freezer....I drive 14 hrs. to catch quality fish...There are many people who drive long distances to catch trophy gills.....You certainly are hard pressed to find quality gills in our public waters... at least locally  ........I suspect we are not too many years away from joining the many other states that have gill limits......Anyway as I have gotten older I  much prefer quality over quanity.....It was nice to meet many new ice fishing friends this year and will see you guys next year.. or later this year... I guess......later    Backus    Minnesota that is      home of Lake???

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Minnesota also has a daily limit of 20 bluegill and 10 crappie... which is also your possession limit  ...You don't go to Minnesota to fill your freezer....I drive 14 hrs. to catch quality fish...There are many people who drive long distances to catch trophy gills.....You certainly are hard pressed to find quality gills in our public waters... at least locally  ........I suspect we are not too many years away from joining the many other states that have gill limits......Anyway as I have gotten older I  much prefer quality over quanity.....It was nice to meet many new ice fishing friends this year and will see you guys next year.. or later this year... I guess......later    Backus    Minnesota that is      home of Lake???

I will drive that far for trophy LM or SM, but not bluegill.  I would be full support of a daily gill limit here in Indinana if it would improve the average overall size in our lakes and WAS ENFORCED.  I fish alot soft and hardwater and on average am checked 1 or 2 times a year in Indiana.  I am checked anywhere from 5-7 times a year in Michigan when I fish there.  Sometimes I am not checked but see the CO's on the water in Michigan.  Seeing the CO in Indiana is like seeing big foot.  It is a rarity and adding regs with no enforcement is useless.

Offline raisinrat

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
I am looking for a digital recorder to go between the camera and the monitor. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks Geo.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
i would like to see a min. size on crappie.  say maybe 11".   i dont think it would have as great an effect on gills though.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline kodiak88

• Team IceShanty Regular
To me, thats a bad idea. 

that may be a reason you are not dnr.  they don't just randomly impose rules and regulations for no reason, they have them to help the populations and the sport
“Many of you have in your veins Geman and Italian blood. But remember that these ancestors of yours so loved freedom that they gave up home and country to cross the ocean in search of liberty. The ancestors of the people we shall kill lacked the courage to make such a sacrifice and remained slaves.” — George S. Patton

Offline Easyprey jigs

• IceShanty Rookie
I will keep all the gills I want until someone who has some authority tells me not to.
Fl20

Offline pgaschulz

• Team IceShanty Regular
I will keep all the gills I want until someone who has some authority tells me not to.
classic....

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • there is no such thing as to many holes:)
no concerned until they put them on the endangered species list cause they taste ummmm soooo soooo good...... plus i give lots away to people who like fish but enjoy the sport. 
Feels so nice doing it through the ice

Offline Kingofthekankakee

• IceShanty Rookie
My personnel opinion is that's why they have limits on some fish  and none on others. The fisheries have done there homework    So I don't think it's gonna hurt to take as many gills  as your planning on eating

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.