Author Topic: Probably gonna argue, but I got to get it off my chest.....this bothers me.  (Read 17955 times)

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!
Ok.  I am sure I am going to get dinged big time for this post and probably going to make a lot of people mad, but I got to say it........  Why can't some of the people in this great sport take more care about the very thing we pursue..............th e fish.

I love reading the reports of people slaying fish.  I love hearing about people having great days and catching tons of fish.  I love it.  I love that people are good anglers and enjoy the outdoors.   I do get frustrated though by some of the numbers of fish people talk about keeping to eat..............   Call me names, call me jealous, call me whatever, but I just don't see why some people have to keep hundreds of fish to eat..............   There are many days on the water (both hard and soft water) where I catch big numbers of fish I could keep, but I keep enough for a meal or two and put the rest back.........  I have a family of four (2 adults, 2 children) and if I keep 20 good size gills that makes a nice meal for us (with sides etc).  If I keep 10 good size crappies thats a meal for us.  On the big side I will keep 40 good gills so I have a meal and a meal to freeze.   I rarely do that though.  Maybe once a year I'll freeze some fish.   

If your fishing a private pond and they want fish taken out etc, or a lake that is going to be killed off or something, thats one thing, but if your fishing a public lake and taking out 100 fish each trip out...... thats eventually going to make an impact on the size of the fish and the population of fish in that lake.   Unless you are harvesting selectively.   Most of these guys I see, who are obviously good fisherman because they are catching these high numbers of fish,  are not selecting and releasing the bigger breeders, but throwing anything that can be filleted and larger straight into the bucket........   To me, thats a bad idea.   Maybe I am alone here and should keep quiet, but I just don't see why in these times someone has to keep such high numbers of fish??????

If your out of work and need the food then I would never say a word about it.  More power to you.   But, if your sitting in a fancy shanty, using a vexilar, an underwater camera, and using a high dollar snowmobile to get out on the lake..........my guess is you can afford to eat things in addition to fish.  If you only ice fish, then maybe you keep fish to eat all year.  Most guys I know that ice fish also fish the rest of the year too though.    Now I know there are some guys who give fish to others who cant fish for one reason or another and thats ok too, but within reason. 

The other thing I also just can't stand is to see a bunch of dead dink bluegills laying all over the ice!!!  If you catch a dink and your not going to eat it.....put it back in the *@#@* lake!!!!!!!!!   I don't care what you have been told..............in a large lake like Wawassee, James, etc you are not helping the size of fish in the lake by throwing these juvenile fish on the ice to die............  If you gut hook one and it is going to die thats one thing. You can clean it or leave it for the birds or whatever.  But if its healthy when you unhook it put it back. 

Just my humble opinion and I would never say anything to anyone who wasn't breaking any regulations.  Its not my place to say something to anyone and I am no better then anyone else, but I just feel like sometimes I see otherwise good fisherman brutalizing a great sport that I love.    Take care of the fish we pursue and we will continue to have great fishing.   Treat them like crap.....and we'll have crap fishing to look forward to.   

Yell at me all you want, but thats how I feel.       Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline softcraw

• IceShanty Rookie
Great post !  I have felt the same way but figured there would be allot of adverse posts . Glad you said it .

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
Completely agree, although I don't think my opinion counts for much, as I only fish in my own ponds. I only keep enough for a meal, never freeze any, they don't taste the same after that.  I don't know the dynamics of any body of water except my own, ( and every lake is different), so I don't have any definitive proof, but it seems to me that if everybody keeps massive numbers of fish, it will impact the fishery sooner or later. Granted, Bluegill are quite prolific, but I would think the quality, or average size of the fish, would be bound to suffer somewhat.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I agree, on all but one point. I was unemployed last year and I still had my fish trap and flasher and I was out there 4 or 5 days a week with them. I was catching stocked trout, though, so I figure it wasn't hurting anything other than somebody else's chance of catching them. I always put any dead fish I see in the ice back in the water so some bottom feeder can eat them and get fat, too.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
I don't think the guys you see posting a hundred fish are catching them buy them selfs.  You said around 40 at the most for you.  The last couple of a hundred I've seen has been between three people.  thats 33.333333 per fisherman.  Not excessive.  If someone wants to clean 100 fish more power to them.  Blue gill are very abundant, and very hard to put a dent in.  maybe on a pond but that is up to the owner.  So many times I here of guys saying this lake or that lake is fished out.  I go there put in the work to find there patterns and do very well.   I love it when people say that about a lake.  It leaves more room for my boat.  I don't think people realize how many blue gill are actually down there when you are catching them well in an area.  Fish need to be harvested to maintain a fishery.  To many fish in a lake equals not enough food.  What we take out today is nothing compared to what the old timers used to take out.  I know a lot of people that think like you do, but here in Indiana we have great habitat for blue gills and crappie.  

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Ok.  I am sure I am going to get dinged big time for this post and probably going to make a lot of people mad, but I got to say it........  Why can't some of the people in this great sport take more care about the very thing we pursue..............th e fish.

I love reading the reports of people slaying fish.  I love hearing about people having great days and catching tons of fish.  I love it.  I love that people are good anglers and enjoy the outdoors.   I do get frustrated though by some of the numbers of fish people talk about keeping to eat..............   Call me names, call me jealous, call me whatever, but I just don't see why some people have to keep hundreds of fish to eat..............   There are many days on the water (both hard and soft water) where I catch big numbers of fish I could keep, but I keep enough for a meal or two and put the rest back.........  I have a family of four (2 adults, 2 children) and if I keep 20 good size gills that makes a nice meal for us (with sides etc).  If I keep 10 good size crappies thats a meal for us.  On the big side I will keep 40 good gills so I have a meal and a meal to freeze.   I rarely do that though.  Maybe once a year I'll freeze some fish.  

If your fishing a private pond and they want fish taken out etc, or a lake that is going to be killed off or something, thats one thing, but if your fishing a public lake and taking out 100 fish each trip out...... thats eventually going to make an impact on the size of the fish and the population of fish in that lake.   Unless you are harvesting selectively.   Most of these guys I see, who are obviously good fisherman because they are catching these high numbers of fish,  are not selecting and releasing the bigger breeders, but throwing anything that can be filleted and larger straight into the bucket........   To me, thats a bad idea.   Maybe I am alone here and should keep quiet, but I just don't see why in these times someone has to keep such high numbers of fish??????

If your out of work and need the food then I would never say a word about it.  More power to you.   But, if your sitting in a fancy shanty, using a vexilar, an underwater camera, and using a high dollar snowmobile to get out on the lake..........my guess is you can afford to eat things in addition to fish.  If you only ice fish, then maybe you keep fish to eat all year.  Most guys I know that ice fish also fish the rest of the year too though.    Now I know there are some guys who give fish to others who cant fish for one reason or another and thats ok too, but within reason.  

The other thing I also just can't stand is to see a bunch of dead dink bluegills laying all over the ice!!!  If you catch a dink and your not going to eat it.....put it back in the *@#@* lake!!!!!!!!!   I don't care what you have been told..............in a large lake like Wawassee, James, etc you are not helping the size of fish in the lake by throwing these juvenile fish on the ice to die............  If you gut hook one and it is going to die thats one thing. You can clean it or leave it for the birds or whatever.  But if its healthy when you unhook it put it back.  

Just my humble opinion and I would never say anything to anyone who wasn't breaking any regulations.  Its not my place to say something to anyone and I am no better then anyone else, but I just feel like sometimes I see otherwise good fisherman brutalizing a great sport that I love.    Take care of the fish we pursue and we will continue to have great fishing.   Treat them like crap.....and we'll have crap fishing to look forward to.  

Yell at me all you want, but thats how I feel.       Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great point and I understand your concern!
1) Im not fishing your spot, so why does it matter?
2) I don't keep fish all year long, this is my time of year to fill the freezer!
3) I don't keep everything I catch, I do release ALOT of fish!
4) Alot of what I catch gets donated to help feed the needy.
5) I have been catching fish like this for yrs...I only started posting pics last year because a thread came up about posting more fish pics. Ill be more than happy to quit posting pics if it offends people. Were talking about panfish here, you need to harvest these fish to maintain a balance in the lake or pond anyways. I have yet to see a impact at any of the places I fish...its always good every year I come back.

btw Im not offended by your opinion, so don't take this post as me being defensive... just trying to help you understand this topic from my side of the coin.

Offline mschma000

• Team IceShanty Regular
Easy way to solve this is by PMing me with what lake these were taken from with a time to meet you.   @)

Offline maineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
One of my favorite lakes has a 1 Trout over 20" limit. On any given day you can catch many, many, 17" to 19" fish as long as you put them back. Another lake, maybe 30 miles away has no such rule and catching anything is tough. I take my grandson a lot with me (to the restricted lake) and watching him catch these beautiful fish is priceless. Catch and release is the only way to go to maintain a quaility fishery. and that goes for ALL species, not just trout........... my opinion.

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
I believe with the game fish it does apply.  Pan fish will ruin a lake quick if not harvested. 

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I believe with the game fish it does apply.  Pan fish will ruin a lake quick if not harvested. 

exactly! I think some have a hard time with that. Pan fish NEED to be harvested... Keep what you are willing to clean and release everything else and the fishing will always be good! It's not rocket science lol

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Some will agree, some will disagree, it's great to put your opinion out in the open for discussion and criticism.  Although I understand your logic, I have to disagree.

In regards to panfish (bluegill/crappie), I believe those who take large quantities of fish are actually helping the fishery in many instances.  If people released all of the panfish we would end up with lakes choked full of stunted dinks as the food source remains constant, by removing fish you are allowing the other smaller fish to grow to a keeper size.  Bluegills and crappie are very prolific fish, it would be hard to really put a dent in their population unless you are fishing a small 1 or 2 acre pond, or if every fisherman is keeping 50 fish per outing, but we all know not everybody is going to catch 50 fish per outing, 80% of the fish are caught by 20% of the people.  People have been harvesting large quantities forever, most lakes are not effected and continue to put out the same quantity and quality of fish year after year.  I am sure there are exceptions and many times people will say the fishing has gone down hill because they aren't catching fish in the same spot they caught the fish the year before, and blame it on over harvest rather than exploring to find where the fish moved to.  As for releasing the bigger breeders, these fish have spawned many times and their genes are spread throughout the lake so there is no worry about removing quality genes from the fishery, by the time they get to be big they are near the end of their life cycle and will eventually die anyways, and their egg production per body weight drops.  With that said, if large harvests of keepers are occuring the dinks do need to go back down the hole.  If you are on a body of water and only catching dinks with no keepers to be found, chances are it is the result of people not harvesting enough fish, in which case some of the dinks need to be thinned out, maybe not leave them on the ice, but take them home and throw them in the garden so they aren't wasted.

I keep large quantities when I am on them, and could keep many more but I really don't want to clean that many, so I usually head out.  I can't eat it all myself unless I eat fish 3 meals a day everyday, which isn't going to happen so I give a lot of my fish away to neighbors, friends, and family, none of it goes wasted.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ill be more than happy to quit posting pics if it offends people.

Don't stop
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Ice Hoosier

• IceShanty Rookie
I rarely keep a fish.  I am not opposed to it at all, and will give keepers I catch to someone sitting next to me if they have a bag going.  I love to fish and love the search for the trophy, even if it is a picture of it and release.  In the short time I have been a part of IS, I have noticed that posting a picture with the most fish caught is a trophy to some.  I have also thought some of it was a little ridiculous, but I don't know their situation.  I only hope that none go to waste at the end of the flash from the camera.  I think it's good to hear everyone's opinion on all ice fishing subjects, because in the debate (arguements), I learn a lot from these posts.  I appreciate all opinions posted.

Offline bluegillmaster2011

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on!
alot of guys probably remember Hudson Lake a few years back when everyone was fishing the island. 200 guys a day would take 30+ fish out of there in a small area of the lake. I haven't noticed a decline in the fish population, or even more recent then that, look at all the posts about willow slough, lots of guys taking lots of fish out of there. but, i agree, taking more fish then what you will eat is not something i agree with.

Offline Terasec

• Team IceShanty Regular
i find it hard to believe overharvesting is good for panfish populaton,
some lakes i fish in NY and PA have panfish enhance programs where catch/size limits are limited,
and have great success with +11" perch in such restricted waters,
heck over half my catch is generally in the +10" range,
i have no problem with people keeping for food,
whether they max out once a week, once a month etc,
but many times come across people keeping fish they dont even like to eat,
if your gonna kill it, eat it,
if your gonna eat it, cook it right.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I have noticed that posting a picture with the most fish caught is a trophy to some.  I have also thought some of it was a little ridiculous, but I don't know their situation.  I only hope that none go to waste at the end of the flash from the camera.  I think it's good to hear everyone's opinion on all ice fishing subjects, because in the debate (arguements), I learn a lot from these posts.  I appreciate all opinions posted.
Hey I hope you don't think I post pictures for that reason!! That was never my intentions at all... I know guys who catch alot more fish than I do, they don't post pictures tho. I love to log on and see pics of peoples catch...I look forward to it before heading to work and when I get home lol.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't think anyone will flame you for your post. You are certainly entitled to an opinion and as long as we have the Greatest Document in the world still entrenched in our nation (the Constitution), you are well within your rights to voice your opinion. I don't know what to think of the comments though as I do not target Bluegills or Crappie. I am a Walleye and Perch fisherman and outside of taking my kids out for some brim action i don't pursue them. With that said, I will tell you that often times Perch and Walleye can be so hard to pin down in this state that when they school up and stay beneath me....I take my share. What I have decided though is that I am not going to be filleting any more walleye over say 4 pounds. If I get a teen its going on the wall but the eaters is what I want in the skillet. I want to catch big ones yes, but C&R will be the rule. Pictures and back in! That is if its unharmed during the process. Perch though are heading for the pan and the freeze.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Ice Hoosier

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey I hope you don't think I post pictures for that reason!! That was never my intentions at all... I know guys who catch alot more fish than I do, they don't post pictures tho. I love to log on and see pics of peoples catch...I look forward to it before heading to work and when I get home lol.

No, nothing personal at all.  Names of people posting these pics don't even come to mind.  Like I said, I don't know anyone's situation.  It's just that when I see over a hundred fish kept for example, I'm thinking "wow really", and "I would hate to clean those".  What makes me think trophy, is the fact that I am always looking for that, and I would like to post a picture myself of that many fish, but I know I would not clean them all, and there would be waste.  So, probably won't see a picture from me like that.  Again, I appreciate all opinions, and don't mean to offend anyone with mine.  Tight lines to ALL.

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
I only Keep the Fish we Eat,Yes I some cool Ice Fishing Equipment,which I have worked very Hard to Purchase,
and while working,I am a Tax Payer,I also Pay  for a Yearly Fishing License and Boat Tags,DNR Fee,Lake Enhancement Fee,& etc....
Hopefully our Local,State,and Federal Politicians puts this money to Good use,to Help promote our Sport.
We follow any and All DNR Fishing Regulations...Any and All Under Size Fish are released to Grow and
Fight another Day.As a Avid Fisherman,I am upset by your Post,It does Bring up a very Interesting Topic....

The Team

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
ust my humble opinion and I would never say anything to anyone who wasn't breaking any regulations.  Its not my place to say something to anyone and I am no better then anyone else, but I just feel like sometimes I see otherwise good fisherman brutalizing a great sport that I love.    Take care of the fish we pursue and we will continue to have great fishing.   Treat them like crap.....and we'll have crap fishing to look forward to.   

You said you would never say anything to anyone who wasn't breaking any regulations, but your entire rant is about exactly that.  You are bit%^&ng about some who YOU think are 'brutalizing' our great sport, while they are violating no laws or regulations and in some cases may actually be helping a lake turn out better quality in the future.

Ok.  I am sure I am going to get dinged big time for this post and probably going to make a lot of people mad, but I got to say it........  Why can't some of the people in this great sport take more care about the very thing we pursue..............th e fish.

I love reading the reports of people slaying fish.  I love hearing about people having great days and catching tons of fish.  I love it.  I love that people are good anglers and enjoy the outdoors.   I do get frustrated though by some of the numbers of fish people talk about keeping to eat..............   Call me names, call me jealous, call me whatever, but I just don't see why some people have to keep hundreds of fish to eat..............   There are many days on the water (both hard and soft water) where I catch big numbers of fish I could keep, but I keep enough for a meal or two and put the rest back.........  I have a family of four (2 adults, 2 children) and if I keep 20 good size gills that makes a nice meal for us (with sides etc).  If I keep 10 good size crappies thats a meal for us.  On the big side I will keep 40 good gills so I have a meal and a meal to freeze.   I rarely do that though.  Maybe once a year I'll freeze some fish.   

If your fishing a private pond and they want fish taken out etc, or a lake that is going to be killed off or something, thats one thing, but if your fishing a public lake and taking out 100 fish each trip out...... thats eventually going to make an impact on the size of the fish and the population of fish in that lake.   Unless you are harvesting selectively.   Most of these guys I see, who are obviously good fisherman because they are catching these high numbers of fish,  are not selecting and releasing the bigger breeders, but throwing anything that can be filleted and larger straight into the bucket........   To me, thats a bad idea.   Maybe I am alone here and should keep quiet, but I just don't see why in these times someone has to keep such high numbers of fish??????

If your out of work and need the food then I would never say a word about it.  More power to you.   But, if your sitting in a fancy shanty, using a vexilar, an underwater camera, and using a high dollar snowmobile to get out on the lake..........my guess is you can afford to eat things in addition to fish.  If you only ice fish, then maybe you keep fish to eat all year.  Most guys I know that ice fish also fish the rest of the year too though.    Now I know there are some guys who give fish to others who cant fish for one reason or another and thats ok too, but within reason. 

The other thing I also just can't stand is to see a bunch of dead dink bluegills laying all over the ice!!!  If you catch a dink and your not going to eat it.....put it back in the *@#@* lake!!!!!!!!!   I don't care what you have been told..............in a large lake like Wawassee, James, etc you are not helping the size of fish in the lake by throwing these juvenile fish on the ice to die............  If you gut hook one and it is going to die thats one thing. You can clean it or leave it for the birds or whatever.  But if its healthy when you unhook it put it back. 

Just my humble opinion and I would never say anything to anyone who wasn't breaking any regulations.  Its not my place to say something to anyone and I am no better then anyone else, but I just feel like sometimes I see otherwise good fisherman brutalizing a great sport that I love.    Take care of the fish we pursue and we will continue to have great fishing.   Treat them like crap.....and we'll have crap fishing to look forward to.   

Yell at me all you want, but thats how I feel.       Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assume your post is directed at me because I have caught over a hundred many times.  Some of us who have fished for many years know alot of old timers that can't get out on the ice anymore.  Some of the fish we catch go to them so they can continue to enjoy meals of fresh fish.  Others go to freinds that like fish, but don't have the desire or equipment to catch fish.   I fish with at least 2 others when we catch that many.  That avg's out to be 40-45 a person, and we don't catch them like that every time.  When we catch them like that we also are throwing back as many as we keep to grow up.  I fish about 7 different bodies of water thru the ice and I have DNR fish studies on those lakes (where they are available).  I know what kind and sizes of fish are in the lakes and in what densities compared to other waters.  Some lakes you are doing a favor by taking alot of fish out as they are overcrowded and underfished.  Others are not.  You can't make a generalization about every lake, because they are all different.  Our large catches come from 2 lakes, both of which the DNR bioligist told me over the phone not to worry about overfishing it, becuase there are tons of fish in there and they are becoming overcrowded.  They are all decent sized lakes well over 200 acres.  If you do the leg work and understand the dynamics of the lakes you fish, you don't have to feel guilty about hurting the resource when catching alot of fish.  I do agree that throwing dinks on the ice is a bad idea no matter where you are at, but saying everyone keeping more than what YOU deem appropriate is out of line and ignorant.  Let the DNR bioligist manage the fish populations and set limits.  We are talking about panfish here which are not high on the food chain in most lakes.  There is a reason pike, bass, walleye and even crappie have limits on them as they are subject to overharvest.  Blugill and perch are nearly impossible to overfish by ice fishing.....bed fishing is another story.

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This was found after a quick search of the internet....

Feasts, in fact, are usually possible because panfish are relatively abundant in most places where they are found. Fisheries managers generally encourage harvesting panfish and apply a fairly liberal creel limit (see) to facilitate this. Although panfish provide a good forage base for larger gamefish, they can quickly overpopulate a lake or pond. Most panfish are generally prolific spawners, and harvesting them is helpful in keeping fish populations in balance. When populations get out of balance, a body of water can be populated by stunted sunfish, crappie, or other species, and removing significant numbers is necessary to help with this problem. Fortunately, delectable flesh makes this a task that many anglers are willing to take on.

The DNR does does studies all the time and if they thought the harvest was being abused on a certain body of water they would enforce a daily limit.

I don't think the guys you see posting a hundred fish are catching them buy them selfs.  You said around 40 at the most for you.  The last couple of a hundred I've seen has been between three people.  thats 33.333333 per fisherman.

We caught a 142 on Sunday but like IceJunkie said it was 3 of us combined that caught that many fish.  We also had thrown over a 100 fish back.

Offline AyrshireBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lucky to go
I agree with you for the most part, especially if people are keeping 6 inch gils and shorter! I try to cut them off at 8.
I fish throughout the year, but only keep what I get thru the ice, and maybe one or two early march crappie messes in open water, and thats it.  i have kept 80-100 in one day
before, but that is between 2 guys and we don't hit that spot again, on the ice, the rest of the year.  There are still good numbers and quality all year, so i will say that if the numbers and quality drop, then it is tiime for a change. :)
Take a kid fishing!

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Study done in Wisconsin a couple of years ago found the gene for BIG bluegills is carried by the BIG male bluegills. It was always recommended to keep the males and return the big females as they laid the eggs.
If most of the BIG males are removed from a body of water, the females will spawn with any male and the strain for BIG gills will diappear. Gone!
It is tough to throw those beautifull bulls back. But it is no more difficult then throwing back those dinks. Keep a few and let the rest go.
The Slough had a 25 fish limit. 250 fisherman a day times day after day after day.(Plus going to parking lot to get sack lunch from the wife, giving her the 25 then going back and doing it again.
Do the math. If they are 8"-9" inch males???? Hmmm. I don't seem to catch as many 8"-9" fish as I use too?????????????????
The farther north one goes, the greater effect this has on a body of water. Michigan regs. 25 fish in aggregate, crappies, gills. Period. No two day possession limit. That's it.
Something to consider.
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline nonamers

• IceShanty Rookie
when most people start fishing they like catching more than others and sometimes it is a my bag is heavier than yours. after a while it is just as good to see others enjoy it as much as we do. than there are those who think that there license entitles them to a full limit every time just to pay for that license. then there are those more talented than others who like to rub everyones nose in there talent. we call them smarties or dummies or a lot of things. they think they are great until someone really shows them how to catch fish. stay within your limits and you will be OK. here in pa we have two limits......what you have in your possion on the water is your creel limit. what is in your freezer is your Possion limit. with most i think your home is a two day limit and one on the water. it works out OK i guess. please keep the pictures comeing i really enjoy them.  thank you

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
A couple of points... all water is different, there is no "one size fits all" solution. What is good for a reservoir would be disastrous for a farm pond. Everyone here appears to realize that controlling Bluegill numbers is one key to growing large fish. However, there are a few variables involved. You must maintain an adequate predator base, whether it be Bass, Pike, whatever, for the size of water involved. There must be an adequate food supply available, too many mouths to feed equals small fish. If your Bluegill are small, either put more food in, or take more fish out. Unless you own the body of water, you're not likely going to go to the trouble, and expense, of feeding the fish, so that leaves controlling their numbers by SELECTIVE harvest, and keeping the number of predatory fish high. Here's how I selectively harvest in my ponds. First off, you have to be able to tell females from males. Any female under 9" is kept.. never return a female. Any male under 6" is evaluated for condition, and more importantly, potential for future growth. If he doesn't make the cut, over the dam he goes.. . Any male fish over 9" is returned to the pond. Which leaves the 7-8" fish, and all the females, for harvest. A lot of folks think that "dinks" will grow up... not necessarily. When a bluegill becomes sexually mature, their growth almost stops. all of their energy is directed to gonad development. When that happens, they will not get much bigger than they are. They have become stunted. A bluegill will become sexually mature when he thinks he has a shot with the ladies. What determines that is the size of  the fish at the top of the pecking order. If he knows he can't compete with the big boys, he doesn't become sexually mature, and puts all his energy towards growing bigger... survival of the fittest. I have a study here on my desk somewhere, that conducted an experiment with Bluegills grown in tanks. When the largest fish were removed, the next largest class of fish became sexually mature within two weeks!! No more growth for that fish!!! For whatever size body of water you fish, it must contain an adequate supply of the biggest males to maintain a decent fishery. It's true that the genes from a big fish are already "in the water", but with each succeeding mating those genes become less viable. I keep the big males as broodstock, I want their genes in the pond.

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
I respect your opinion!

That being said I am currently unemployed and although I don't HAVE to feed our family with what I catch - since my girlfriend has a good job - it does help to have a a few meals a week of fish to help out. Besides, her kids and my kids love them. Plus I have an ex-father-in-law who was like a dad to me that has major health issues and can't get out to fish anymore himself who absolutely loves eating fish and if I can put a smile on his face with something as easy as a bag of panfish fillets I'm gonna do it. I am not "over harvesting" any fish population on the body of water I icefish the majority of the time. It is a 200 acre body of water and 50% of the time I am the only one on the lake...40% of the time one other angler may be out...the other 10% I am surprised if there are 2 or more people out. This lake is in a good chain of lakes with lots of nice quality fish that in my opinion is completely underfished the majority of the time. An average day for me is around 20 keepers for an afternoon of fishing maybe a few more than that if I'm out longer. I have taken some friends or fished with other homeowners from the lake on days when a group of us have caught over a 100 and kept them. Those days are few and far between and from what I have seen it hasn't made a difference whatsoever on the population or the quality of fish still in our lake.

I think in the long run as much as most guys can get out and find time to fish...then actually find fish and catch them...if they have a great day a handfull of times a season good for them. It will probably all average out anyways when considering days they do ok, days that do horrible, or days they wreck their vehicles (sorry jigumup and waxworm just a joke) and can't fish at all!!   ;)2

I do agree about throwing dinks on the ice...that just infuriates me...but if you think about it most times you already have an opinion of the person doing that before you see them tossing them aside!!!    :%$#!:

Ok I'm done...ho harm no foul...I'm going fishing!!!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
A couple of points... all water is different, there is no "one size fits all" solution. What is good for a reservoir would be disastrous for a farm pond. Everyone here appears to realize that controlling Bluegill numbers is one key to growing large fish. However, there are a few variables involved. You must maintain an adequate predator base, whether it be Bass, Pike, whatever, for the size of water involved. There must be an adequate food supply available, too many mouths to feed equals small fish. If your Bluegill are small, either put more food in, or take more fish out. Unless you own the body of water, you're not likely going to go to the trouble, and expense, of feeding the fish, so that leaves controlling their numbers by SELECTIVE harvest, and keeping the number of predatory fish high. Here's how I selectively harvest in my ponds. First off, you have to be able to tell females from males. Any female under 9" is kept.. never return a female. Any male under 6" is evaluated for condition, and more importantly, potential for future growth. If he doesn't make the cut, over the dam he goes.. . Any male fish over 9" is returned to the pond. Which leaves the 7-8" fish, and all the females, for harvest. A lot of folks think that "dinks" will grow up... not necessarily. When a bluegill becomes sexually mature, their growth almost stops. all of their energy is directed to gonad development. When that happens, they will not get much bigger than they are. They have become stunted. A bluegill will become sexually mature when he thinks he has a shot with the ladies. What determines that is the size of  the fish at the top of the pecking order. If he knows he can't compete with the big boys, he doesn't become sexually mature, and puts all his energy towards growing bigger... survival of the fittest. I have a study here on my desk somewhere, that conducted an experiment with Bluegills grown in tanks. When the largest fish were removed, the next largest class of fish became sexually mature within two weeks!! No more growth for that fish!!! For whatever size body of water you fish, it must contain an adequate supply of the biggest males to maintain a decent fishery. It's true that the genes from a big fish are already "in the water", but with each succeeding mating those genes become less viable. I keep the big males as broodstock, I want their genes in the pond.

Good points, but like you said you can't compare what you can do with a pond to lakes that are hundreds of acres.  The big males are most at risk when on the beds and are being raked off there by the bucket fulls.  When there are hundreds of beds containing the biggest males and they are wiped clean that can impact a fishery.  When fishing open water or ice fishing, you get a good mix of males and females in most cases.  I understand that if you take a big male in the winter or in open water it is removed from the gene pool as if you took it off the beds, but you usually don't catch a ton of bull males in a single outing in open water or thru the ice like you can when they are spawning.  I would be all for a limit on gills during the spawning months, but in some lakes this would probably do more harm than good.

Offline bradmoun

• Team IceShanty Regular
Agree 100%

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
Good points, but like you said you can't compare what you can do with a pond to lakes that are hundreds of acres.  The big males are most at risk when on the beds and are being raked off there by the bucket fulls.  When there are hundreds of beds containing the biggest males and they are wiped clean that can impact a fishery.  When fishing open water or ice fishing, you get a good mix of males and females in most cases.  I understand that if you take a big male in the winter or in open water it is removed from the gene pool as if you took it off the beds, but you usually don't catch a ton of bull males in a single outing in open water or thru the ice like you can when they are spawning.  I would be all for a limit on gills during the spawning months, but in some lakes this would probably do more harm than good.

Very true, the size of the water determines how many big males can be harvested before quality suffers.

Offline finnie

• Team IceShanty Regular
im not good enough to catch 100 fish in a day  :'(
In it to win it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.