Author Topic: What do you wear on your feet?  (Read 11557 times)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What do you wear on your feet?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 29, 2010, 07:28 PM »
.....I would buy a pair of mickey mouses military issue no steel shanks. THose things are heavy tho....

That is what I use and still get cold feet. They are the black ones and have the airborn pressure value in them, don't think they have the steel shank but I have no idea. Just bought a pair of wool socks hoping that will help. They are plain rubber on the inside, no liner to absorb moisture, that I think is my problem. Feet sweat, socks get wet and cold. I usually carry extra socks to change.

Hell, in my house with socks and moccasins on my feet get cold. So I am not sure they make a boot that would keep my feet warm on the ice.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline don0764

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 29, 2010, 07:35 PM »
i wear redwing loggers with heated soles

Offline doublehunter87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 29, 2010, 07:54 PM »
i wear redwing loggers with heated soles
not a bad boot do you have what they consider the cork boots where they have the spikes on the bottom like they use out west for big time logging

Offline don0764

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 30, 2010, 12:15 PM »
no i wish i did im a lineman by trade so i dont need them i wish i did every time i put on the grippers

Offline moonbeam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 30, 2010, 12:21 PM »
That is what I use and still get cold feet. They are the black ones and have the airborn pressure value in them, don't think they have the steel shank but I have no idea. Just bought a pair of wool socks hoping that will help. They are plain rubber on the inside, no liner to absorb moisture, that I think is my problem. Feet sweat, socks get wet and cold. I usually carry extra socks to change.

Hell, in my house with socks and moccasins on my feet get cold. So I am not sure they make a boot that would keep my feet warm on the ice.
I've found that one pair of light socks keep feet warm and does not promote sweating.....just my .02 worth
WAIVER....."NO ANIMALS WERE ABUSED OR INJURED MAKING THIS MESSAGE."

Offline bad1vt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 30, 2010, 12:40 PM »
i bought my rocky 1000 gram w/noprene bootys over 5yrs. ago my feet have never gotten cold or wet even sitting on deer stand for five hours in sub zero temps with only white cotton sox on. the only thing that has just started to happen is the laces are starting to let go. one thing to remeber is you get what you pay for!!!

Offline HighPockets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 30, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Has anyone seen size 17 in anything. I can use these things for ski's. :)  Thats the problem being tall, hence the username High Pockets!!

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #67 on: Jan 30, 2010, 04:55 PM »
From what I have been reading about the Ice Kings, they are plenty warm.  My question is, has anyone had trouble with them leaking when you have slush and water on the ice?  My sorels leak like crazy.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline ice chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:15 PM »
I have a pair of Ranger boots from Big R, they are two years old and are the warmest boots I have ever had. My feet always got cold no matter what socks or boots I had on. Now that I found these Ranger boots I have never gotten cold.
Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #69 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:29 PM »
I don't wear boots because I can't fish.................. .....NO TIME< >NO MONEY<NO JOB> NO LIFE<SOMEBODY (((SHOOT))) ME !#!#!#

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:04 PM »
I don't wear boots because I can't fish.................. .....NO TIME< >NO MONEY<NO JOB> NO LIFE<SOMEBODY (((SHOOT))) ME !#!#!#

Easy Shawn!! These things run in cycles and eventually things come back to you. So keep your boots handy.
Paul

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:08 PM »
rockey rubber buck stalkers...but switching to muck boots next year...

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:15 PM »
Lacrosse 1200g alphaburlys. Soo warm, waterproof. Once you go rubber, you never go back. :tipup: ;D

Offline thehopehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:20 PM »
Mickey Mouse boots all the way.  Would not trade them for the world.

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:30 PM »
I paid 135 for my Baffen Impacts. Don't need expensive socks to drive the cost up. Don't need foot warmers. Also, I don't have sweaty feet. As far as sticking my foot in the water and then fishing the rest of the day, with my boots I could leave my feet in the water!

Where do you find these boots so I could try them on before I purchase them.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 30, 2010, 09:10 PM »
MICKEY MOUSE boots ,  3 pairs in 30 years.  My feet never get cold.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 30, 2010, 09:17 PM »
Rockey Blizzards

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #77 on: Feb 01, 2010, 04:16 AM »
Where do you find these boots so I could try them on before I purchase them.
I live in Niles, you can look at my boots and see how they are made. I sat next to a guy I fish with all of the time. He wears the white mickey's. We went out at 10:00 pm and stayed out till 2:00 the next afternoon last Sat. His toes got cold and mine didn't. It was cold -1. We slept in the shanty so not moving around your feet get colder than walking. In the old mickey's I would have to walk a little bit to warm things up. Not with the Baffens, I stay warm just sitting. They feel like a good pair of slippers. I bought mine online at winterboots or winterfootwear, I don't remember? Just PM me if you want to see them. If you do order them, order them one size bigger than your normal size. And don't let others wear your boots, once the liner is fit too your foot, it is good to go.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline John_H

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:05 AM »
From what I have been reading about the Ice Kings, they are plenty warm.  My question is, has anyone had trouble with them leaking when you have slush and water on the ice?  My sorels leak like crazy.

Never had water leak in my ice kings ,  I bought a pair of Sorels before my ice kings and had the same problem with them and they did not keep my feet warm very long .

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:22 AM »
A lot of the warm feet issuse is more about how good your circulation to your feet is. I wear the white mickeys with a linener sock and heavy sock if I set in one spot for 2-3 hours feet will begin to get cold, if I get up and walk around some they warm right up. I know a guy that I see on the ice every winter he is in his mid sixty's and all he ever wears is sneakers.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:30 AM »
A lot of the warm feet issuse is more about how good your circulation to your feet is.

Couldn't agree more.  I keep my house at 70 degrees at all time, my feet and hands are still always cold if I am just sitting around, once in motion I warm right up.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Mr.Waxy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:00 PM »
My boots have 1000 grams of thinsulate my feet have never get cold

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #82 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:04 PM »
Mickey Mouse boots!!!!!!!  The airborne ones!!!!!    Best ever!!!!!!!!! ;D :tipup:

Offline Surly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:41 AM »
You must fish close to the north pole :whistle: to need boots rated for those temps.

All kidding aside they look dandy, but only the bottom is waterproof according to the website and it says it has a winterproof upper. i will assume that means snow can't get in there. Have you ever stepped through the ice along shore up to the middle of your shin and continued fishing the rest of the day? I have black mickeys and i am not going to say they are the best thing on the market but at least if your foot gets wet you can fish the rest of the day and have warm feet.
Did that on sat at shootout at the launch at the marina in a pair of danners fished the rest of the day.... with one cold foot just depends how bad you want it I guess :-\
The light at the end of the tunnel is usually an on coming train!!

Offline coreyl302

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fish NH
« Reply #84 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Lacrosse Icemens they're awesome I would never change
It's the journey, not the destination.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 04, 2010, 04:17 AM »
I would never change

I think you hit the nail on the head!  Change is a hard thing to swallow. If change wasn't good, we would still be using rotary phones. If they came out with something better, when my boots wore out, I would upgrade.

Offline keldr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Feb 04, 2010, 06:49 PM »
throw a hand warmer in each,cant go wrong there!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Feb 05, 2010, 04:08 AM »
throw a hand warmer in each,cant go wrong there!

You are right! A bad pair of boots can get a little better with those warmer things. Even some expensive socks would help. If you went out only a dozen times per season, how many of those warmers would you use, and at what cost? Some of those better socks make your feet sweat so bad they have to be dried out. What if you come in for lunch and are going back out in the evening? Believe me me I have been there and done that. I hate not having good equipment. The Baffen Impacts are the way to go, for sitting all day on the ice or just walking up and down the driveway. I only wear thin white tube socks.

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When Hell Freezes Over... I'll Ice Fish There To!
« Reply #88 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:52 AM »
Any boots can be made warmer with decent socks and the key is a pair of sock liners.. not the cheap ones. Cabelas thremax work well. The $11 Wigwam 40 below socks and those work great for me with any boots I wear... One more thing.. Hand wash your socks in woolite and hang over the shower to dry, or machine wash gently, but NEVER use fabric softener. It will clog the ability of the sock to wick, then you have damp feet, which = cold feet.

My 2cents

Offline mcl79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:17 AM »

Don't buy the Lacrosse Ice Kings they are now Made in China and are poor quality.  My friend has a pair that were his father's made in the US, and they are over 15 years old no problems.  Mine are 2 years old and after the 1st season the rubber is cracked and is clearly thinner and different than the ones made in the US, the leather is crappy, the seams are not neat, the laces break when you pull on them. http://picasaweb.google.com/mlaff1979/Boots?authkey=Gv1sRgCMHP16XVsYXolgE# check em out. They are worse now, can't even use the auger with them or I will have wet feet.  I put them away after the first season and when I used them the next season that is how they looked.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.