The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: ....KNOTS....  (Read 3734 times)

Offline ChefIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
....KNOTS....
« on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:21 AM »
Has anyone ever tried to tie a ''blood knot'' with two different types of line, sqid line to mono.line and what where the results?... 8) :tipup:
Out of the hole,from the woods,Into the pan....."can you smell what the icemans cookin"....

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: ....KNOTS....
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:26 AM »
yes i have and the results were a blood knot!  :D  tighten evenly and apply lots of spit...uni to uni is also a great knot for this application!

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:18 AM »
yes i have and the results were a blood knot!  :D  tighten evenly and apply lots of spit...uni to uni is also a great knot for this application!

I second the uni knot, I have use the blood and have found thatr it slips sometimesn and that the knot doesn't come out correctly because of the the different types of line. I use a uni to uni on my jig rods and they are great, never a problem.
J. Cotier

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:22 AM »
uni to uni.  ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:31 AM »
Kind of interesting read. I know it is a whole lot different then 4# lines and such but, it was a good read.

all tests were done with suffix tri-17lb. to 50lb ande shock. i got a scale that is accurate and has a needle that stays at the weight where the line broke, so this should be relatively accurate. i did 3 tests of every knot, and if i had a fluke break or something, i would exclude it from the results. i should also mention that i only tested knots that i am good at tying. and only tested them if they looked perfect. i also left long tag ends, because i just wanted to test the knot.here are the averages.

17lb suffix-tri to ande 50lb

just suffix(no knots)-------------24.33lb

improved allbright(10 wraps)---17.00lb

spiderhitch to no-name----------21.83lb

overhand to uni------------------11.66lb

interesting thing is how consistent the knots were. in the 3 tests of each knot the biggest variance was only 1.5lbs. the allbright broke dead on 17lb every time.
allbright would break at the knot everytime, spiderhitch to no-name broke about 1/8in above the hitch every time, so in tying the knot you weaken the running line to the point where the knot is stronger, and trust me i spit all over these knots, and was extra careful. the overhand to uni was weird. the overhand(under pressure) would "roll" just a little, and break at the overhand everytime.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:35 AM »
You might want to bookmark this one, if ya haven't seen it already:
Grog's Knot page

It's handy if ya need ta brush up on a few knots.
& I use the Bloodknot quite a bit myself. Especially on my fly rod Line/leader to tippet. Or even to the backing on my open water reels.

- My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:46 AM »
if you really want a great knot that won't come apart and slips through the guides great try the PR knot or the mid knot , use the pr knot connecting 80lb braid to 100lb leader for jigging tuna so I don't know how well it would /could be adapted for small diameter knots but its awesome for heavy stuff

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:51 AM »
I second the uni knot, I have use the blood and have found thatr it slips sometimesn and that the knot doesn't come out correctly because of the the different types of line. I use a uni to uni on my jig rods and they are great, never a problem.
I agree with munich 100% have never had the back to back uni fail cod fishing I had 80lb power pro and 50 lb mono got my jig stuck on the bottom I couldnt break it the mate came over and we both pulled on it an the hook straightened out on a 21  ounce norweigen jig thats a big hook
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2008, 12:49 PM »
I tie uni knots in everything from 4 lb test to 250 lb test. It is, by far, the best knot going. Can tie it in the dark. Can tie it with my eyes closed. It simply is the best knot. It must be moistened to tighten properly or it will burn and weaken.
"Fact is stranger than fish'n"

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nationality: Porterguese of course!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:17 PM »
Uni to uni knot hands down - trust me. I can tell you tons of stories where I needed to snap it off and couldn't. Case closed. You'll agree if you try it. - Porter

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:21 PM »
Uni to Uni ...called a Hangmans Uni Knot...good to go...forget the blood knot...more difficult to tie...hangmans uni you can do one side at a time and slide em together....K

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nationality: Porterguese of course!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:26 PM »
I agree with Karl - 100% of the time I use the Hangmans Uni - you do need to watch the lines closely as you draw them together - you want to make sure both knots sit flush against each other at the end, with each having a low profile (i.e. no buckling, on top of the other, etc.)

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:36 PM »
good point Jeff...and a little spit on the knots as you draw together never hurts...tied on 4 lb leader to 8 lb backing last week and caught 10 lb steelie with no problem......of course, proper drag setting helps... ;)

Offline ChefIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2008, 05:21 PM »
good point Jeff...and a little spit on the knots as you draw together never hurts...tied on 4 lb leader to 8 lb backing last week and caught 10 lb steelie with no problem......of course, proper drag setting helps... ;)

Where did the "Steelie" come from did you take a trip NY.?
Out of the hole,from the woods,Into the pan....."can you smell what the icemans cookin"....

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2008, 09:42 PM »
I am working here in rochester Ny during the week...hitting the local ice at home but hittin the rivers here in NY off Lake O during the week.... ;)

Offline ChefIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2008, 06:34 AM »
I am working here in rochester Ny during the week...hitting the local ice at home but hittin the rivers here in NY off Lake O during the week.... ;)

Nice were trying to get a trip together to get up there....its been a while since i have been up there....

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2008, 06:57 PM »
Hey Chef..

got some nice ones on Oak Orchard River last week...got skunked on Monday with warm weather and high winds...had one on for a good 2 minutes but lost it on an ice flow coming through...was crowded also with the warm weather...K

Offline ChefIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2008, 06:15 AM »
Hey Chef..

got some nice ones on Oak Orchard River last week...got skunked on Monday with warm weather and high winds...had one on for a good 2 minutes but lost it on an ice flow coming through...was crowded also with the warm weather...K

Good job Unoman keep nailen em.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.