The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: New Auger Reviews..  (Read 913 times)

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
New Auger Reviews..
« on: Mar 19, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Can anyone tell me how they like any of the new augers - gas, propane, etc.?  And how they stack up versus others?  Thinking of getting a new one for next year but the Old Jiffy Legend is still running fine even though its 25 years old.

Offline JimC

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Auger Reviews..
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2015, 06:55 PM »
 My wife got me the jiffy pro 4 lite last yr. and I love it. I have used the same tank of propane and have drilled a ton of holes. I wouldn't want to live in Maine and use the lite all day but for what I use it for I have no complaints.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2015, 06:59 PM »
LOVE my propane jiffy! Haven't had any issues with starting, coldest start 3rd pull at  -11 , first pull each time after that. Absolutely no smell! I keep it in my back seat most of the time. No choke, No gas Bubble, always on (rocker switch), cuts great, stops turning when trigger is released! No soaked feet! Many many holes on one tank! Separate oil fill reservoir, pre measured oil jug, 6 oz bottle, poured in at the beginning of the season, dumped out at the end.  I have the pro 4, I believe that's the name , not the lite version.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2015, 08:29 PM »
LOVE my propane jiffy! Haven't had any issues with starting, coldest start 3rd pull at  -11 , first pull each time after that. Absolutely no smell! I keep it in my back seat most of the time. No choke, No gas Bubble, always on (rocker switch), cuts great, stops turning when trigger is released! No soaked feet! Many many holes on one tank! Separate oil fill reservoir, pre measured oil jug, 6 oz bottle, poured in at the beginning of the season, dumped out at the end.  I have the pro 4, I believe that's the name , not the lite version.
How many holes can you get out of the propane tank roughly? Im debating the strikemaster with Honda or jiffy propane for next year.  I will never be sold on the Ion idea so its gas or propane for me.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2015, 08:41 PM »
How many holes can you get out of the propane tank roughly? Im debating the strikemaster with Honda or jiffy propane for next year.  I will never be sold on the Ion idea so its gas or propane for me.
I honestly don't know, one can lasted the entire season last year. I cut about 8-12 holes per trip. This year I haven't used it as much because everyone decided to cut 30 holes each all over the pond! My new lightweight chisel chops caps real easily! If you need more than 2 tanks per season, you are cutting allot of holes!!! Others may have an approximate number for you. If its a choice between gas & propane, you can't go wrong with the propane! The stink is a huge thing for me, hate gas smell all over me and my truck.   

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2015, 08:52 PM »
I don't mind the gas smell but my wife and fish think otherwise so im leaning towards propane.

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2015, 11:27 PM »
I bought the strikemaster honda lite 10" this year and am very happy with it

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2015, 04:30 AM »
I don't mind the gas smell but my wife and fish think otherwise so im leaning towards propane.
  The the smell of gas isn't too bad when outside, but in the back seat is another story though :-)

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2015, 06:49 AM »
I think it depends what type of fishing you are doing.  If you want something light so you can be a little more mobile I'd go with an Ion.  If you drill a lot of ten inch holes and do mostly pike fishing then I'd suggest propane.  I've got an Ion and I have no complaints but some people aren't sold the newer technology.
westernmas on the finder

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2015, 07:53 AM »
My buddy bought an Eskimo HC40 propane auger this year. I had the pleasure of using his each trip. The thing starts up at one or two pulls every time. Very easy to use around the kids. No priming, spills, mixing gas or cleaning carb. Never had an issue in 14 degrees. The drawback is the weight. Very heavy at 35lbs compared to my Strikemaster Magnum gas at 25lbs. Also, you have to use a fresh new propane can all the time. If you use a half full can it will not idle and shut down after you drill your hole but that's not a problem much probably safer too. It's just very annoying when you have to hop around to drill and have to start it up every time.

I like to be mobile when I'm on the ice as in moving around, jigging, and finding the fish especially if it's slow. I also like to spread out my traps too so the propane augers will leave you huffing and puffing when you go from one hole to another. I think I will stick to my gas auger. just my 2 cents.   ;D

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2015, 07:33 AM »
My buddy bought an Eskimo HC40 propane auger this year. I had the pleasure of using his each trip. The thing starts up at one or two pulls every time. Very easy to use around the kids. No priming, spills, mixing gas or cleaning carb. Never had an issue in 14 degrees. The drawback is the weight. Very heavy at 35lbs compared to my Strikemaster Magnum gas at 25lbs. Also, you have to use a fresh new propane can all the time. If you use a half full can it will not idle and shut down after you drill your hole but that's not a problem much probably safer too. It's just very annoying when you have to hop around to drill and have to start it up every time.

I like to be mobile when I'm on the ice as in moving around, jigging, and finding the fish especially if it's slow. I also like to spread out my traps too so the propane augers will leave you huffing and puffing when you go from one hole to another. I think I will stick to my gas auger. just my 2 cents.   ;D
  That doesn't sound good, having to keep a full bottle of propane on to keep it idling. That is certainly not the case with the jiffy! I ran mine empty last year. Worked the same from full to empty. Sounds to me like jiffy propane is the way to go, if going that route?

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2015, 08:24 AM »
5 years now on my Eskimo stingray no maintenance or blade change yet. Starts on 1 or 2 pulls everytime. Never used an accurate mix and pretty sure right now there's straight gas and no problems. Always left fuel in it over summertime and starts like a champ every ice season. Changing out blades after this season

Offline ScottG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2015, 10:42 AM »
I have the Eskimo propane drill as well. Have not experienced any issues with propane bottles having to be full. You give up a little torque going to propane from gas, but the thing is super reliable...one or two pulls away you go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.