Author Topic: Jig Rod Wire Tip ???  (Read 4978 times)

Offline racepoint

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Jig Rod Wire Tip ???
« on: Feb 02, 2003, 04:37 AM »
Was out on the ice yesterday and did fairly well...... caught a bunch of Crappie.... nice size too !!  Saw a fellow doing much better and after visiting with him a bit happened to notice that on the end of his jig rod was a fine wire "gizmo" that detected even the slightest hit.  Anyone know what they are called and where one could purchase one.  Or are they "homemade-gizmo's" ?
Hey Jake!  Flag Up !!  (LMAO)

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Jig Rod Wire Tip ???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2003, 05:39 AM »
Those are probably spring bobbers and they can be had at about any bait shop.

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2003, 06:32 AM »
it is a spring bobber, you can tell if a fish is there, if he is taking the bait down or up. You can't use a whole minnow with them tho because you could never tell if its the minnow or a fish

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2003, 07:49 PM »
I just made a dozen spring bobbers out of a spring I had lying around, the spring was 3 inches long before I started stretching it out and cutting it into 3 inch pieces, I used needle nose pliers to form it to look like the store bought ones that cost $1.  They work great

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2003, 07:58 AM »
Dafish is right springs you can do yourself and you can determine the sensitivity by th size of the spring. Also those Schooley springs are another alternative too.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2003, 11:46 AM »
Ah yes Strike indicators/ spring bobbers.One of  the secrets  of succesful icefishing is revealed. Was fishing for whitefish with a bunch of fellows. Some were mocking my strike indicator prior to the event. Out fished them all 6:1. They were biting so lightly, kind of just mouthing the bait then spitting it out in a fraction of a second. When my indicator went up I knew a white was playing with my bait, so set the hook. If you like the other things that sometimes go along with icefishing ie: drinking, smoking, sliding, these would probably not be helpful. That is because in order to be successful with indicators you must constantly be watching it. Also have to have your rod in your hand ( not the rod between your legs ) & not in a rod holder either. When the indicator goes up or down, set the hook. If you like to catch fish though this will help immensley. But just throwing them on your rod and fishing the same old way you used to, then don't waist your money. I have some made out of horse hair, others made out of heavy mono. Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.