The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: New gear for a New icefishing season  (Read 6356 times)

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
New gear for a New icefishing season
« on: Oct 30, 2013, 07:47 AM »
Well I broke down and bought a new suit for the year, I bought a striker predator suit.  It arrived yesterday and it seems to be a really good suit, have not tried all the pockets and everything but tried it on and wore it around for a little while and it was quite warm, cannot wait to get out on the ice and see how it does.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Re: New gear for a New icefishing season
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2013, 10:09 PM »
Happy, Happy to all.

I built a new mini  sled today, it weights more than my old sled even though it is supposed to be for hand dragging on early ice too thin for the old sled and the ATV. 
On a side note, the local RS hardware has all of it's ice fishing stuff out on display for the discriminate fisherman with a full wallet. For the most part I have it all but did grab a few glow in the dark jigs and some 12 pound P-line just because I had to get something for fishing.

Good news, the temperature for October was 2 degrees colder than normal in Rock Springs at an average of 41 degrees and a low of 16---------Here we go!
Thread killer

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2013, 10:50 AM »
Just broke down and ordered an AA suit. Watched Lipripper be nice and cozy yesterday on the ice with his suit wile I froze my tail off. No more of that!! Now for a new flasher. Don't know what kind to get though.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Just broke down and ordered an AA suit. Watched Lipripper be nice and cozy yesterday on the ice with his suit wile I froze my tail off. No more of that!! Now for a new flasher. Don't know what kind to get though.

Matt and I have been wearing them for a few years.   So nice to be warm out there. 
Don

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2013, 01:54 PM »
A dedicated ice suit is a nice thing to have! Ice Armor has a new Lift suit introduced this season I was looking at online but I want to try it on to see how it "feels". With the Ice Armor blue suit I've had for a few years now, it is very seldom I even feel a need to get inside my flipover, they are that warm and good feeling! Just like a wearable shelter lol! I recommend to anyone get one if they can.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2013, 03:02 PM »
I got the cammo one so it can double for hunting. Plus it's quiet. I'm anxious to get it.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2013, 08:14 PM »
4 new rods one Thorne bros custom and several tungsten jigs and new FLX 28 and a new command post thermal and finishing up tricking out my clam explorer and not done yet LOL
Never to many short poles

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2013, 09:46 PM »
4 new rods one Thorne bros custom and several tungsten jigs and new FLX 28 and a new command post thermal and finishing up tricking out my clam explorer and not done yet LOL

SCORE!!! :woot:

- wyoutdoors :tipup:

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2013, 10:59 PM »
Picked up a small jet sled (with the hopes of dragging less stuff with me every time out!) Also a TB tripwire for bluegills.  Cant wait for the ice!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2013, 12:37 AM »
I'm real close to dropping a dime on a 4 stroke auger. Still torn on the propane or gas. I love the quite with both! Next week I'm going to make up my mind. Leaning toward the Honda Strikemaster, looked at one today. Ran a buddy's jiffy propane last winter and it was great.
Restocked my PK's and some slender spoons and got an attachment for my AVT so I can run my elite 5 in GPS mode with no transducer. Should be handy, wife's getting me a Aqua view micro for x-mas.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Hole Tender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2013, 07:33 AM »
I sold my permanent fish house and ordered a portable. I went with a Clam Tundra. It is on its way here. I'm excited.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2013, 09:23 AM »
Did really well on blade baits thru the ice iast winter. Got a buttload of them for this season!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline outwest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2013, 11:14 AM »
I got my iceaholics anonymous rod in the mail yesterday and wow what a nice rod. Need to find a reel for it. Come on ice

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2013, 11:15 AM »
finally got my camera to go along with my flasher, its time to hit the ice
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2013, 03:33 PM »
Going to buy a pair of Striker Ice Hardwater Bibs and another heavy action rod for lake trout. Probably pick up a few new spoons to try as well.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2013, 05:57 PM »
The JM 5000 Thermal pop-up arrived while I was in Houston along with a couple of 28" JM Meat Stick combo rods with matching Arctic Warrior tip-ups. Found a nice Clam 6 rod case in there too! The box of PK's with their new Predators and new hot colors showed up just before I left for Texas. Would have been on the ice this morning but had some business to attend to. Hopefully I can hit the ice on Friday!  ;D

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2013, 06:03 PM »
I am sad to report I went through my stuff a few days ago and have nothing to buy this year.  I had new line left over from last year and bought a new flip over last year.  Although it is nice to save money I am fighting the buy something new itch!!  We shall see if I make it through the year not buying anything????

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2013, 07:42 PM »
My dad's 25+ year old Jiffy Model 30 finally bit the dust last year so I guess it's time I buy an auger myself instead of just use his (which I buried into the ground). Anybody got any they really love. Heck I might buy an "updated" Jiffy Model 30. I also want to buy one of the bigger Clam ice huts. Bottomless and big to drill lots of holes inside....or drill just a few and be happy!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2013, 08:16 AM »
I know there is always the debate on the auger, which one is better.  I personally like the Eskimo shark augers, it is the updated version of the sportsman that Eskimo made in the 80's.  I have my sportsman for 19 years and I like the dual blades, seem to cut better, but sharp blades on any cut really well. Plus I like it being a little lighter than some of the other augers on the market.  Plus I like the price I got my auger for, 280 bucks two years ago.  Cannot wait for the ice to come and get out there and catch some fish.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2013, 08:21 AM »
Yeah it's definitely preference on augers and other equipment. All I can say it would have to be a heck of an auger and/or price issue for me to give up the 4-stroke Strike-Lite II. 

Offline Wyo Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2013, 04:18 PM »
Hello to all!

Been getting ready for this year, and tricked out the new Clam Trapper I bought at the end of last season.  Thanks to all the tips, and how too's from this forum.  Looking at buying the Clam 18 volt drill adapter auger to go with this light weight.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2013, 05:16 PM »
Yeah it's definitely preference on augers and other equipment. All I can say it would have to be a heck of an auger and/or price issue for me to give up the 4-stroke Strike-Lite II. 

Have you had a hole drilling race between the 2-stroke 54CC unit and the 4-stroke 10" unit? I just purchased the 2-stroke because I've never had any issues with 2 stroke powerheads and couldn't think of a reason to justify the 4-stroke.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2013, 08:35 PM »
That's kind of where I am double hall. Is 4 stroke better? Idk it's newer lol but worth it? Like I said i've been using a Jiffy model 30 since I started ice fishing. I understand it's preference but it's not like you can test drive them....really. Unless you get the same one as your buddy kind of thing.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2013, 09:20 PM »
Wyoutdoors you will really like the meatsticks I used one three years ago and now I have 7 total and I like them almost as well as my thore bros 28"power noodle
Never to many short poles

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2013, 09:46 PM »
Anyone got any rex commendations for a hard sided ice rod case that will fit I'm my sled and hold six poles?
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 13, 2013, 10:27 PM »
I have seen some use a gun case, but I do not know how many rods one can get in them.
Don

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 13, 2013, 10:29 PM »
That's kind of where I am double hall. Is 4 stroke better? Idk it's newer lol but worth it? Like I said i've been using a Jiffy model 30 since I started ice fishing. I understand it's preference but it's not like you can test drive them....really. Unless you get the same one as your buddy kind of thing.

a 4 stroke you have to change oil, a 2 stroke you mix oil in the fuel.

With saying that a 2 stroke has less maintenance to me over the 4 stroke. 

If they came out with a strong electric that could drill enough holes on a battery and in 10 inch I am sure I would seriously look into one.
Don

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:37 AM »
rbm I use a 2 gun gun case from walmart 22 bucks.I can get six rods in it I have 2 rods over 36" and 4 short one two bait caster  reels and 4 open face reels on them it fits in my jet sled xl just fine set it on edge and it only takes about 4" on the side of the sled. For the auger ? I like the jiffy 30 had the same one for 25 years and the auger is about well I don't know how old it is. it still run great.

Offline powder river drifter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2013, 11:00 AM »
I have a propane auger and wouldn't trade it for anything. Drills well and no gas smell. Have three gas augers also and they work well..but have the smell and always mixing

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 14, 2013, 04:35 PM »
Have you had a hole drilling race between the 2-stroke 54CC unit and the 4-stroke 10" unit? I just purchased the 2-stroke because I've never had any issues with 2 stroke powerheads and couldn't think of a reason to justify the 4-stroke.

Never raced another auger doublehaul. I can tell you I've lent it to others on the ice and they have all loved it. It is an 8" bit not a 10". As for the oil issue, pouring the oil out and adding a few ounces once a year is far more preferable to me than having to mix it. I use seafoalm in all my yard equipment and keep one gas container filled with fresh fuel. If I happen to run out of fuel when out of town it's an easy fix with a quick trip to town. Plus, everyone loves how much quieter it is than a 2-stroker. The pluses to me far outweigh a few seconds difference in drilling a hole. Have you been on ice yet?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.