Author Topic: Hub shack lighting  (Read 2920 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hub shack lighting
« on: Aug 25, 2019, 09:06 PM »
What do you guys use for hub shack lighting? Whatever I use it never seems bright enough.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hub shack lighting
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2019, 09:08 PM »
Clam hub lights have worked well for me

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2019, 11:05 PM »
I use one or two of the Clam light sticks depending on the size of the hub I am using. I just tuck them up between the roof poles and roof fabric. battery gets placed in the overhead mesh netting that the house comes with. There are normally for sled type house but work good in hubs too when placed like I said. I use the small size one since it is only a 7/8 inch diameter verses the 1 1/4 inch large size.

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/light-stick.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2019, 07:29 AM »
I bought a strand of the cheap LED string lighting that you can get on Amazon for $15.  I attached longer wire leads and keep the lights balled up in one of the interior pockets in the hub shanty, and when I need them, I tuck the lights between the poles and the fabric.  They put off plenty of light.  I bought a dimmer that I was going to wire in, but never ended up using it.  I use a spare Milwaukee battery with the powersource to power them, but they do eat through a 5.0ah battery faster than I had thought they were going to.

I will probably check out Otter's new LED's that are coming out this year, depending how expensive they are.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2019, 10:24 AM »
I use one of these. protects my headlamp during storage and does a half decent job lighting the shack. There'a an elastic cord attached to hang from the ceiling.

Offline tm37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2019, 12:58 PM »
I use a clam hub light in my otter resort Hub.  Lights it up well.

I forget where I bought it but it was not $50 more like $35 might have been an ice show or something

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/led-hub-light.html

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2019, 09:56 AM »
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2019, 10:40 PM »
So many wonderful options.

Nebo Poppy lantern/flashlight.

Still have my dual fuel coleman lantern...hate the broken lantern mantles but that's what spare ones are always for.

I am currently running some led work light from Ryobi.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2019, 11:00 PM »
I used many different hub lights. Most were too dim or the light wasn't where you needed it.   I finally settled on a headlamp, the light goes where you turn your head. 
https://www.harborfreight.com/Swivel-Lens-LED-Headlamp-64145.html

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2019, 05:30 AM »
I bought a strand of the cheap LED string lighting that you can get on Amazon for $15.  I attached longer wire leads and keep the lights balled up in one of the interior pockets in the hub shanty, and when I need them, I tuck the lights between the poles and the fabric.  They put off plenty of light.  I bought a dimmer that I was going to wire in, but never ended up using it.  I use a spare Milwaukee battery with the powersource to power them, but they do eat through a 5.0ah battery faster than I had thought they were going to.

I will probably check out Otter's new LED's that are coming out this year, depending how expensive they are.

This.

Affordable. Easy install. Customizable. Lightweight. Efficient and bright. Can’t beat that unless you just aren’t a DIY person, which I fully understand. I use LED strips with an inline dimmer remote and that all plugs into an accessory port on my DIY battery box. Could also plug it into a sonar if you have one.

If anyone does use the LED strips, I highly suggest soldering your connections instead of relying on those “clips” you can buy. I’ve never made a reliable connection using them.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.