Author Topic: Hurry Up Winter!  (Read 1101 times)

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hurry Up Winter!
« on: Aug 22, 2019, 02:06 AM »
I made the fool mistake of trying to refurbish my 16ft riveted aluminum Starcraft this summer.  I thought I could stop, or at least minimize the leaks.  It took me probably 12 hours to take the paint off, and now after two trips to the shop for new rivets and some welding, it still leaks about the same as it did. 

The thing is the bane of my existence.  Even getting it put back together to sell seems daunting, and even if I finished the job properly now I think I hate the thing too much to ever enjoy running it.

Please God send me some ice.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hurry Up Winter!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2019, 05:28 AM »
Perhaps applying some epoxy type sealers would help solve your leaking issue. West System marine products have some great stuff.

https://www.westsystem.com/

The Gflex and G5 are some very good products for small boats.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2019, 06:42 AM »
I used to have a 79 starcraft same thing happen to me.
I ended up sealing it up with that epoxy sealer before paint and it solved it.
Pricey but it works.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2019, 09:47 AM »
I had a "tin foil" boat years ago. 14 footer with a thin aluminum skin I could pick up and hold over my head. Probably sold as a cartopper. I got it for nothing, looked like it had blown off a car top. Back corner all rumpled, rivets loose or popped out leaked like the proverbial sieve. Took it to a local pond to mark leaky spots after I had fixed the obvious spots and had to pull it before I got 'em all marked. It was that bad.

Solution was two parts: First, missing or severely damaged rivets were replaced with aluminum machine screws liberally schlorbed with JB weld. Second, any leaky seams or other areas were sealed with a product I got at Fleet Farm called Geocel. It is an "elastomeric polymer" similar to silicone but much stickier, cures somewhat "harder" yet still flexible (this is important in a metal boat) and really does the job. This stuff is so sticky... How sticky is it? So sticky it can applied under standing water. No BS.

Upshot is I got that boat totally dry, used it for 4 years and sold it for $100. It was an interesting and telling project that sold me on the Geocel stuff. Look for it with the rest of the sealers and caulks in a cardboard tube. Bought a similar product more recently called Lexcel, same kind of sealer only I found it in a smaller conventional tube like a single serve tube of silicone for your tub.

Take heart, it can be done!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2019, 12:58 AM »
Thanks all

Going to take a couple days to clear my head about the boat.

At least my ice fishing kit is in order.  Just got a new fire barrel, hoping the kids will want to spend a little more time outside the hut this year...

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2019, 09:59 PM »
My boat leaks too. One of these days I'll have to fix that.   ;D

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2019, 09:56 AM »
My boat leaks too. One of these days I'll have to fix that.   ;D

Something else that works extremely well is JB Weld Water Weld. Just used it to fix a shower drain!
https://www.jbweld.com/products/waterweld-epoxy-putty
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.