Author Topic: MyPodXL For Wind Break?  (Read 555 times)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
MyPodXL For Wind Break?
« on: Aug 27, 2019, 09:35 AM »
Hi Guys,

Call me crazy, because I probably am, but I've been considering getting one of these little guys to serve as a wind break/rain/snow/sleet shelter for days when I'm travelling light and hole hopping.  https://undertheweatherpods.com/collections/all/products/mypodxl

I fish in Pennsylvania where a lot of the time the air temps aren't all that bad.  I do a lot of hole hopping, and I've found that a lot of times it's a little breezy or a little unpleasant out.  If I'm by myself, then setting up my hub shelter often doesn't seem worth it.  And some days we're just not on fish so it's a lot of walking around to check different areas. 

This would be significantly lighter that hauling my hub style shelter and WAY cheaper than spending the money on a flip over.  I like that the whole thing is basically a window - should be nice for setting out my Arctic Warriors or tip-ups.

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried one of these or something similar in the past.  It would keep me a lot lighter and give me some sort of shelter for days that I'm going light or know I'll be on the move.  I see they have places for ground stakes, so hopefully I could modify for ice anchors if need be.  Would need to put a mat on the ice or cut the floor out so it doesn't freeze.  My plan would be to just leave the door open facing my jigging hole.  Maybe set up my heater outside and facing me if freeze up is an issue.

Has anyone used one of these or something similar?  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

-  Jim

My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: MyPodXL For Wind Break?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2019, 09:52 AM »
I bought the striker predator bibs and jacket. When i'm hole hopping and on the move my striker outfit is all I need. The suit really acts as a wind block, plenty warm, and floats for safety. I could be wrong but I see that thing zipper not working well in the winter weather and with the wind whipping on the lakes it will probably get damaged.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2019, 10:00 AM »
I bought the striker predator bibs and jacket. When i'm hole hopping and on the move my striker outfit is all I need. The suit really acts as a wind block, plenty warm, and floats for safety. I could be wrong but I see that thing zipper not working well in the winter weather and with the wind whipping on the lakes it will probably get damaged.

I have some of the same concerns.  But they're cheap, so maybe worth a gamble?  They sell them at DSG, so maybe I could see one first.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

sunniewally

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2019, 09:02 AM »
 A one man flip over is really the best way to go. can throw you gear in the sled for easy transportation

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.