Author Topic: Looking for a zippered tote bag for hub  (Read 2112 times)

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking for a zippered tote bag for hub
« on: Aug 19, 2019, 01:11 PM »
I posted previous thread about buying a 450i eskimo outbreak. Turns out they provide a tote bag with draw string on top. From previous use of assorted hubs. I prefer a zipper bag. 

I figured no big deal went to local boat cover shop. To see what install zipper on the Eskimo bag. well it turns out they wanted 55-60 dollars . I thought that a bit stiff. I searched on internet and could not find anything close. Which is a 11.5"x 11.5 "x 70" zippered bag.

Anyone got a solution ? I guess worse case scenario . I could buy zipper and sewing awl for DIY job. Which I dread to the nth degree.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking for a zippered tote bag for hub
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2019, 01:17 PM »
Use two or three cinch straps and they all go in the bag easy

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2019, 02:45 PM »
I got these for my Eskimo FatFish with the draw string bag the ties work well even with gloves...when not in use on the hub you can use it in the hub to hang/secure things ..also try placing the bag over the top upon pack up .

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Original-Reusable-64-Inch/dp/B00HUC2UEA/ref=asc_df_B00HUC2UEA/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345015815794&psc=1

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2019, 03:33 PM »
I posted previous thread about buying a 450i eskimo outbreak. Turns out they provide a tote bag with draw string on top. From previous use of assorted hubs. I prefer a zipper bag. 

I figured no big deal went to local boat cover shop. To see what install zipper on the Eskimo bag. well it turns out they wanted 55-60 dollars . I thought that a bit stiff. I searched on internet and could not find anything close. Which is a 11.5"x 11.5 "x 70" zippered bag.

Anyone got a solution ? I guess worse case scenario . I could buy zipper and sewing awl for DIY job. Which I dread to the nth degree.
There are canopy storage bags for sale on the internet in a lot of different sizes. One may be right for you.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2019, 04:02 PM »
Use two or three cinch straps and they all go in the bag easy

Yep! My 949i came with 2 straps and it worked pretty well. I added a third and now it slips right in. Something like this: Straps at Amazon. Used one 36"er on the hub but the rest have come in handy from time to time.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2019, 05:59 PM »
If I'm throwing in my .02, I'd probably recommend a cam buckle style strap, or even some 1" ratchet straps to cinch it down.  My main concern with the hook and loop would be if they got wet, they may freeze and render it ineffective.

Also, you may want to check out the Otter bags.  I have a Resort and one strap in the middle is normally all it takes to fit it in the bag.  They are very generous on the size. I fit my shanty, all the anchors, Milwaukee drill and a few batteries, and my puzzle piece flooring mats in the bag.  The bag zips all the way down the side.  I have no idea how much they cost to buy seperately, but I can't imagine it's a lot.  If they are more than $40, I probably wouldn't buy one, but less than that, I think you'd be happy.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2019, 07:43 PM »
Hays47,here are a few more ideas for you look for a nylon laundry bag big enough to hold the shelter most have draw string tops ans should open wide enough to go over the shelter. Also look at websitesthat carry military surplus gear you may find a duffle  or gear bag the will work again get nylon or similar material will absorb water slower and dry quicker then a cotton canvas bag. Lastly try a tailor/seamstress shop they should be able to add a zipper to storage bag that came with the shelter and hopefully at a reasonable cost.
 Steve

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Hays, i need a little clarification. where did you get the 11 1/2 x 11 1/2 measurement. is this the actual measurement of the    collapsed hub ? if you collapse it, does it measure 46 in. around? reason i ask is i have some canvas(?) bags that are76+ in. long, but only 39 in. around with full length zippers. if you can use this size bag, PM me, i,m only 50 mi. into PA from OH border on I80. can travel or mail if this will work. wire.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2019, 09:57 AM »
FWIW my Eskimo came with hook/loop straps both to compress the hub to bag it and to secure the bag itself. Two seasons freezing has not been an issue, last season saw three separate weekends @ -26F or colder. That said I've actually had more trouble with zippers freezing both shut and open.

Both cam or ratchet style straps would make it more difficult to slide into the bag due to their raised profile. Additionally, both mechanisms lend themselves to corrosion (even aluminum cams) when exposed to the elements, freezing or not, requiring some sort of at least minimal maintenance plus initial cost is higher.

UMMV...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2019, 01:50 PM »
What I probably should have stated on the first post. At 71 years of age I am no longer the male dynamo I was once. Arthritis and some other crap I can't pronounce have seriously limited my physical strength. I can start the loading the hub a bag with a zipper without having to pick it up.

I have owned several types of hubs in the past. I could even manage the Otter lodge. Sold it last year in anticipation of buying the 450I for this year. Because liked idea of the full door.

If it comes down to it. Might sell the 450I. Get a Otter pro Cabin Hub. I know I can handle that
G.E.F.M

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2019, 03:15 PM »
Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHMX1FK

It's a replacement bag for those portable canopy tents. Not sure if it's big enough though.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2019, 08:52 PM »
Yes that bag would work but its more money than I want to invest. Thanks for the help though.
G.E.F.M

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.