Author Topic: Beware Eskimo Ice Auger Owners  (Read 8922 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Beware Eskimo Ice Auger Owners
« Reply #60 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:45 PM »
I agree and disagree... 
One problem is too many companies are being run by bean counters instead of someone who actually cares about the product. It's a double edged sword.  You have to cut labor costs and material costs to make the investors happy. If you are too aggressive doing this, quality suffers and sales drop because customers are not happy.

On the flip side, there is one thing that this country has a severe shortage of.... COMMON SENSE!  And one thing we are not short on.... ENTITLEMENT! This has become a throw away society.  Things are too easily obtained. There is no incentive to take care of your tools. It is much easier to blame someone else (the manufacturers)  for your inability or lack of giving a crap for your own actions or inactions.

How about properly summarizing the auger? What percentage of owners actually do this properly? Then when it has internal rust, gummed up fuel systems, or just plain poor performance, they want action and they want it now. After all. It's not their fault. Or when they just start yanking on the pull rope without preloading it. That's lack of common sense.

Manufacturers have to deal with these types of people on a daily basis. If some of these people would take a minute out of their busy day to read the manuals, there would be far fewer warrantee claims.

As for the fuel lines, it's not they are breaking. They are being deteriorated by ethanol in the gas. Again from stupid people who don't pay attention to the manual and insist on using ethanol gas because it's convenient.  Then blame and bad mouth the manufacturers because they had a problem. Or blame the petrol company because they use ethanol in the first place. I have to tell you.... I have no faith in the human race any more. It seems the more intelligence we perceive ourselves to have, the less sensible we become.

On the flip side of that, manufacturers should anticipate stupid people and use ethanol safe fuel lines and plastic tanks. Or metal parts in the recoil system to take the shock. I hink they were trying to make the unit as light as possible.

Very observent and well stated, Sir !
This society has become inconsiderate and rude in wide cross section. The loss of communication skills and understanding of the humanities are a detriment and test us all.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:51 PM »
I guess it would have been easier to say bean counters have been put in charge of research and development.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Feb 05, 2018, 01:23 PM »
In my part of MN all stations only have ethanol in gas. I have yet to see any small engine I own bust a fuel line. I did have to replace a fuel line on a Mercury outboard that gave out. The motor had the original lines from 1962, that was about 3 years ago. There are manufacturers who have no issues with lines and ethanol, apparently Eskimo ain't one of them.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #63 on: Feb 05, 2018, 10:11 PM »
Why are you using fuel with ethanol in it . I only use ethanol free premium in all my 2 stroke engines . Chain saws, ice augers , weed wackers.  I even use it in some 4 strokes like my lawn mowers and my 6 hp trolling motor .
My truck likes the ethanol free premium too. Don't for get that. It all might cost $25 more to fill up but it does make a difference.
Thread killer

Offline TEK58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Aug 17, 2019, 07:00 PM »
Just tried starting my Eskimo shark. I run it a few times in the off season for maintenance. I had replaced the recoil last winter and used it about a half dozen times before the season ended. After one pull I was shocked to find that the new recoil had broken again. So I concur with previous posts on this site. Buyers should beware of Eskimo augers. At $40 for a replacement recoil that is as faulty as the original I will be telling my fellow fisherman to try another brand.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Aug 17, 2019, 07:52 PM »
Can fix the recoils with 7 dollar replacement recoil's guts but crappy recoils mean they get more people to buy ion augers and make money twice.  Eskimo doesn't care

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Aug 20, 2019, 06:39 PM »
Whine, whine, whine! It must be time for the guy that got a crooked seam on his Clam to start in again too, is it not? Just fix it. People really jump on this kind of post.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #67 on: Aug 20, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Whine, whine, whine! It must be time for the guy that got a crooked seam on his Clam to start in again too, is it not? Just fix it. People really jump on this kind of post.

<===Lefty===

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Aug 20, 2019, 07:28 PM »

A guy shouldn't need to replace the recoil every season

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.