Author Topic: Beware Eskimo Ice Auger Owners  (Read 8921 times)

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
Beware Eskimo Ice Auger Owners
« on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:15 AM »
As a new policy Eskimo will no longer replace Pull cords(Hypercoil Recoil)on warranty. In the past they would replace them do to the fragile nylon internal components breaking easily. I asked customer service why the policy changed. Her answer was because people were abusing the system. She also mention fuel lines were no longer covered either. Both items are now deemed as WEAR ITEMS.
I also emailed customer service as a follow up to my phone call.. This is the response emailed to me " I do apologize for the trouble. The two parts that you mention are not parts that are covered under warranty. They are considered wear items. If you would like they can be purchased through Yetmans or CPT to help save shipping and custom’s duty fees. Or you can call customer service at 800-345-6007 and they can help you get an order placed. Please let us know if you need anything else."

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Beware Eskimo Ice Auger Owners
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:21 AM »
They are going down a dangerous path with this idiotic policy change. Thanks for the warning. At what point is there a reasonable amount of use before an item wears. I'd assume they have some type of coverage or is the cord your responsibility the moment you purchase one of them?
I'll make sure not to consider them in the rare event I'd be buying a traditional auger ever again (K-drill will be my next one).

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Makes sense to me really...

They probably won't warrantee chipped paint either..

<°)))>{

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:28 AM »
It looks like he is referring to the plastic recoil parts, not the rope itself? It says both so not sure.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:29 AM »
Makes sense to me really...

They probably won't warrantee chipped paint either..

<°)))>{

You are right, but you mean to say there are really that many abusers who somehow benefit from getting ice auger fuel lines under warranty. Sometimes in customer service, and I would think for company like Eskimo, if the customer claims it broke, it is better to make it right to them.

There are companies that get that, like Amazon, and companies that don't, of which apparently Eskimo wants to join the ranks of.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:36 AM »
I do know that there is a way to use the pull start and a way to not use it. First pull the rope out until you feel tension, Then pull it hard the rest of the way. Some people don't read their instructions and just go out and yank on that rope. This causes problems with the recoil system and can break it. So I guess I am saying I am on their side with this. I have seen a lot of people break that part and it is from abuse. It is the same instructions a lawn mower has for it's recoil system. Pull out until tension then pull hard the rest of the way. People break them on lawn mowers also. And Weed Eaters,Rototillers and other things. 
<===Lefty===

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:56 AM »
I do know that there is a way to use the pull start and a way to not use it. First pull the rope out until you feel tension, Then pull it hard the rest of the way. Some people don't read their instructions and just go out and yank on that rope. This causes problems with the recoil system and can break it. So I guess I am saying I am on their side with this. I have seen a lot of people break that part and it is from abuse. It is the same instructions a lawn mower has for it's recoil system. Pull out until tension then pull hard the rest of the way. People break them on lawn mowers also. And Weed Eaters,Rototillers and other things.

In business, a good rule of thumb, is to side with customer as much as reasonable. Apparently Eskimo must think that their parts are superb and that every problem revolving around the pull rope/recoil system and gas lines is 100% the customer's fault. You are right about the abuse one could possibly cause to the recoil system.
That is a horrible way to approach things especially with untested parts made in china. I think they are for a very little gain (or less loss) putting themselves out there as customer service unfriendly. In a niche market with plenty of competition that seems like a stupid business decision. But hey, they are free to do as they wish. After seeing their new sierra flip over break apart (literally the metal tubing snapping in half) just as they were showing it off in the store, and now seeing this, I don't think they would convince me to buy their product. As somebody who doesn't own any "Eskimo" items, I am simply saying that a combination of high price, low quality (witnessed personally) and now questionable customer service, I wouldn't be convinced to jump all over.

I have no doubt they have good products that work for many people, just saying from what I see, I have no reason to test my money with them.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:19 AM »
My 29 year old Eskimo is still on its original pull rope. I'm 50% sure its on its original fuel line too.. I think the only thing I've ever bought for it was one sparkplug...

I can't blame Eskimo for wanting to get in front of some of these things... Its pretty costly to ship augers around...

Will it help their customer base? Possibly, I just read a post about someone who was really happy with their new Rocket, they said it was half the price of an electric.. These changes being implemented by Eskimo, might allow them to keep prices lower, thus getting new customers that way..

Old Eskimo customers don't need any convincing..."FOEAO", here's 92 pages of loyalty..

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=152698.0

<°)))>{

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:33 AM »
I love how defensive people get over the products that they own. I mean I certainly like the products that I'm working, (otherwise I'd ditch them), however, the OP has a legitimate announcement which should be concerning to current or potential owners of this products. Now a person should certainly look at other auger makers such as Jiffy, Strikemaster, etc. and look into their respective warranties as well before making a decision solely on the information here.

I can understand a company not wanting to be taken advantage of, however, if there is a legitimate issue it should be rectified with proper materials or design, and previous models should be grandfathered in, preferably.

Everyone's loyal until something goes wrong...lol.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:47 AM »
I love how defensive people get over the products that they own.

I'm not necessarily trying to defend Eskimo because I own one.. My Eskimo is not necessarily reliable because of Eskimo, more so because of Tecumseh (out of business)...

I'm more trying to defend the folks that can replace a pull cord, or fuel line themselves. We shouldn't all have to pay for others misuse or negligence... An auger shouldn't have to be shipped for 5 minutes of work and .70¢ of tubing.. Not often you get to use the ¢ sign these days...

I'm more trying to defend the old way of servicing and maintaining your possessions... 

I am entirely against this new throwaway society, I personally can't afford the cheap stuff..

<°)))>{

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:49 AM »

I can understand a company not wanting to be taken advantage of, however, if there is a legitimate issue it should be rectified with proper materials or design, and previous models should be grandfathered in, preferably.

Everyone's loyal until something goes wrong...lol.

+1

No doubt that the Eskimo 29 years ago used and manufactured items in a completely different fashion than today, hence the hesitation I'd have with new products not being warranted. In fact, that alone should be enough for them to be able to stand behind their products 100%.
Tells you a lot about a manufacturer who doesn't want to stand behind their product 100% and blame the customer for any possible problems. At minimum they should allow some type of "grace" 90-day warranty on easily wearable products. 
If you rip that cord in 90 days after purchase it just may be that it is poorly manufactured. If your fuel lines fail in 365 days of your purchase, something was seriously wrong with them. Also, even if you live in the best ice belt area, and you fish everyday and make holes all day long, you are really not realistically using an auger every day of the 1 year warranty window.

I can see limitations on life-time type warranties, or 10 year warranties (similar to car business where your engine is warranted but not all the consumables, like belts etc...).

I guess the question to the OP is, are they not offering any warranty whatsoever on fuel lines and the recoil, or is it that they will not provide anything after the standard 1 year warranty and you have to buy those items, which I agree is fair?

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:52 AM »
I'm not necessarily trying to defend Eskimo because I own one.. My Eskimo is not necessarily reliable because of Eskimo, more so because of Tecumseh (out of business)...

I'm more trying to defend the folks that can replace a pull cord, or fuel line themselves. We shouldn't all have to pay for others misuse or negligence... An auger shouldn't have to be shipped for 5 minutes of work and .70¢ of tubing.. Not often you get to use the ¢ sign these days...

I'm more trying to defend the old way of servicing and maintaining your possessions... 

I am entirely against this new throwaway society, I personally can't afford the cheap stuff..

<°)))>{

I guess the way I understood it is that they are not even going to provide the parts. I never assumed they'd be responsible to ship the entire auger to them and back to customer. As per my other post, I thought the standard is that a part is shipped to you but you need to install it or pay someone to install it yourself. I agree with you that unless there is a more pressing problem, those items should be able to be replace by the consumer. If not, maybe he/she shouldn't operate such a machine.... :)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:56 AM »
Just so you know, I sold my Gas Eskimo auger this year to go with the Ridgid Drill and Nero Auger. I loved my Eskimo and never had any problem with it other than the gas leak from the tank to the carb which is a common problem. I never fixed it I just kept the drill in an upright position in a box until needed. Then I would take it apart when not in use. Eskimo has said to leave the auger full of gas and this problem would not happen. I used to drain mine at the end of the year because I read on here to do so for storage. Eskimo says that is why the line and Grommet dried out.  Oh well I sold it and am happier with the drill and Nero Mini. I wasn't sticking up for Eskimo I was just stating what I have seen and heard about abusive people. Like the ones that leave it standing in a half drilled hole, Banging it on the ice and pushing down because it isn't drilling fast enough. Not to mention the ones that drill through dirt and sand.  And then these people complain about one brand or the other because it is a POS.
<===Lefty===

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:59 AM »

<°)))>{

This.

It’s a nylon rope and fuel lines. Pull ropes on ANY engine break over time. It’s what they do. As for the fuel lines, you could make your own if you absolutely had to. How often are fuel lines claimed under warranty anyways? Probably from guys abusing their gear. I see it across many hobbies. People mistreat their gear then get all angry when the company won’t replace it.

Don’t ever buy a canister filter for an aquarium, ALL of the parts are “replacement parts” and that’s for filters that can cost just as much as an entry gas auger. Nothing like stepping in an inch of water to learn that you have to spend $60 more dollars in parts because everything is it’s own individual part. Gotta pay to play though. Fishing gear is no different.

Ever wonder why rod companies have almost zero warranties now? Nothing wrong with a company covering its behind. It’s also 2018 now, not the 1960’s. Everyone wants everything fixed for free no matter what it’s just that now “everybody” is literally millions upon millions of people. I don’t know, maybe it will teach people how to take care of their stuff. Siding with the customer isn’t always a good business practice especially when everyone wants a whole brand new item because of a faulty $4 part. Things happen, that’s why they offer replacement parts. OR you could get on YouTube and Google and research small engine repair for yourself and learn a new skill in the process.

This new warranty wouldn’t stop me from considering an Eskimo gas auger. It’s just safe business practices. Also, to be honest, I assumed those parts to be user serviceable anyways. Meaning, pay some cash and fix it yourself.

Also, I can guarantee most other auger brands have a very similar warranty. How that company enforces that warranty, however, is up to them. Eskimo did handle the situation by making replacement parts available to everyone so the end user could replace them themselves without having to ship a 5’. 20# auger across the country. Shipping is expensive and when you get to ship something for free for warranty work then get it shipped back for free, that company is footing the bill for shipping. Times that by a few million and a business can start loosing a significant amount of cash just shipping parts that the end user could just buy and replace themselves. I have nothing against that, even with my expensive aquarium filter.

New out of the box??? That’s a different story all together for any product.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2018, 10:00 AM »
Wish they'd make a recoil with less plastic garbage in it instead of bragging it's half as hard to pull. They created their own issue and fixed it by somewhat screwing the customer

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2018, 10:01 AM »
I guess the way I understood it is that they are not even going to provide the parts. I never assumed they'd be responsible to ship the entire auger to them and back to customer. As per my other post, I thought the standard is that a part is shipped to you but you need to install it or pay someone to install it yourself. I agree with you that unless there is a more pressing problem, those items should be able to be replace by the consumer. If not, maybe he/she shouldn't operate such a machine.... :)

I agree with that mostly.. But if my pull cord broke or I needed a fuel line I would just hit my local Do It Best, and be back on the ice that day...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2018, 10:08 AM »
New out of the box??? That’s a different story all together for any product.

New, or less than a month or so, I'll question if I want to exchange or return the item to the retailer..

I don't shop on line, so I would simply drive it back to where I got it...

<°)))>{

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2018, 10:29 AM »
New, or less than a month or so, I'll question if I want to exchange or return the item to the retailer..

I don't shop on line, so I would simply drive it back to where I got it...

<°)))>{

But say it is purchased online, now that'd be a pain for a customer if he/she opens the box and the fuel lines are busted. I think both customers and companies should use some common sense. Again, I have a hard time believing Eskimo would be that bone headed and claim that you need to buy the parts if you literally just purchased the item......but who am I to judge, I recently bought a tv from Samsung and they told me that the return/replace period was 14 days after delivery(but only their scheduled delivery), even though the delivery was severely delayed due to no fault of my but their selected delivery service.....no common sense, so I am stuck with a TV that I can't return....oh well, hopefully my cc company will come through on helping me resolve that one.
Experience as those will teach you not to shop online for sure....at certain retailers
On the other hand Amazon has been fantastic with any issue I have ever had, to the point of refunding me $500 on a motorbike I purchased and saying keep the bike.....I didn't even ask any of that of them, they just literally said, don't worry about it. wow

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2018, 10:32 AM »

<°)))>{

I agree that making the larger community pay for those that abuse (accidentally or purposely) their stuff isn't right. However, if there is legitmate concerns on these issues, Eskimo needs to be accountable.

Without knowing what each of the issues are, hard to say how or if people would be abusing it. As mentioned above, I'm not sure how often fuel lines would be warranteeable, but if there is something off with their design or materials used, I'd hope that the company would stand by it. If fuel lines are only lasting a season, would certainly seem odd to me. As mentioned certainly not a hard fix, even offering a replacement kit would be nice and would be a less costly sign of good faith.

As for the coil issue... a pull rope should last several seasons without it being a worry. However, if we're talking about a gear or something breaking or coming apart I think that's reason to get their service on the phone. Again, even offering a replacement kit would be nice and would be a less costly sign of good faith.

Eskimo is doing one of two things. They're saying people are abusing it and in reality, they are and are unable to distinguish one over the other enough to make a"abuser" pay for their issue.

Or, they're has a been a few bad apples that do (there always is) and their using as a scapegoat to get out of the rest. I've seen companies do it a million times. Simply they made a mistake and are tired of paying for it. Worse yet is when a company is tired of paying for it, but still continues the same practices that got them there in the first place.

With that all said, as with most things, if this is a case of abusers ruining it for everyone, it is what it is. Nothing you can do.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2018, 10:38 AM »
But say it is purchased online, now that'd be a pain for a customer if he/she opens the box and the fuel lines are busted. I think both customers and companies should use some common sense.

I agree, also, Eskimo service from what I've heard, is entirely different on the phone and have helped many out of warranty owners with their augers/parts...

<°)))>{

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2018, 10:42 AM »
I agree, also, Eskimo service from what I've heard, is entirely different on the phone and have helped many out of warranty owners with their augers/parts...

<°)))>{

That's good to hear. It's been my experience that's most companies. Seems like they're willing to make it right if they believe it's their issue, however, in the case of an ungrateful person wanting basically a new auger for something not even under warranty, they have something to fall back on. If that is the case, no issues.

Offline schie03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2018, 10:48 AM »
I agree with that mostly.. But if my pull cord broke or I needed a fuel line I would just hit my local Do It Best, and be back on the ice that day...

X2. My pull cord broke and I replaced it with 550 parachute cord.  Way better than what they had on it. Back on the Ice in no time!

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2018, 03:07 PM »
Wish they'd make a recoil with less plastic garbage in it instead of bragging it's half as hard to pull. They created their own issue and fixed it by somewhat screwing the customer

The customer is screwing himself by not reading the users manual on these things. So dang many of them have broken because guys think they have to yank on it like they are starting a seized up 25hp lawn mower. If they would’ve simply read the darn book these issues would not exist.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2018, 03:44 PM »
The customer is screwing himself by not reading the users manual on these things. So dang many of them have broken because guys think they have to yank on it like they are starting a seized up 25hp lawn mower. If they would’ve simply read the darn book these issues would not exist.

Thats debatable at best, the recoils suck compared to the old tecumsehs. Seems like every brand's recoil sucks recently due to cheaper crappier parts.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2018, 04:07 PM »
I have watched guys start weedeaters(same as power auger) and pull way too far, and it only takes a short pull, quickly, not a long pulllllll. !!! They will break and 90% of the guys know how to properly pull start them but still the 10% that don’t !!

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2018, 04:27 PM »
Is Iceshanty now a consumer warning site??
Pull cord and fuel lines,really?

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2018, 04:32 PM »

IceShanty seems to function in multiple capacities, but I certainly don't think Consumer Warning Threads is a "con" of the site. So "Pull cord and fuel lines, really?" Yes really.

FYI... there is a Remove button right next to he Modify button in the upper right hand corner of your post, in case you double post.  ;)

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2018, 04:39 PM »

its a whatever you want it to be site...thats the beauty of it. Hell...there's even people that bash other people on here.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:49 PM »
The customer is screwing himself by not reading the users manual on these things.

Exactly.  Lots of guys even brag about throwing away instruction manuals without reading them.  And then it's the manufacturer's fault when they break something or can't make it function properly.

One example is the often-heard complaint about the augers leaking gas from the air filter.  That happens when guys don't read the manual and turn on the choke BEFORE they start pumping the primer bulb.  The closed choke plate deflects the priming charge and it ends up running out the bottom of the air filter housing.

I'm not saying the plastic parts in the Eskimo recoils are faultless.  I'm just saying that folks are more apt to damage things or experience problems if they don't know how they are designed to be used.  RTFM!   ;)

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2018, 10:52 PM »
As a new policy Eskimo will no longer replace Pull cords(Hypercoil Recoil)on warranty. In the past they would replace them do to the fragile nylon internal components breaking easily. I asked customer service why the policy changed. Her answer was because people were abusing the system. She also mention fuel lines were no longer covered either. Both items are now deemed as WEAR ITEMS.
I also emailed customer service as a follow up to my phone call.. This is the response emailed to me " I do apologize for the trouble. The two parts that you mention are not parts that are covered under warranty. They are considered wear items. If you would like they can be purchased through Yetmans or CPT to help save shipping and custom’s duty fees. Or you can call customer service at 800-345-6007 and they can help you get an order placed. Please let us know if you need anything else."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.