Author Topic: Why?  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Lee1977

• Team IceShanty Regular
Why?
« on: Feb 12, 2022, 02:48 PM »
Fished a local lake for awhile today and on the path out this is what it looked like. I just don’t understand the logic behind this. It makes all of us look bad. This is the kind of stuff we don’t need and the reason we lose parking or access to area lakes. Not far away we’re cattails that these fish could of been deposited in and it wouldn’t of hurt a thing. Hopefully some birds will clean them up soon. :(

Offline Jeffro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2022, 03:43 PM »
Seems as if we see similar pics posted every year. Also as consistent is that the guys that purposely do this never step up to voice their rationale on why they think this is acceptable. Sad
God Bless the USA and all those who serve in her Armed Forces...

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2022, 04:39 PM »
The legal term is called wanton waste I think .If a co sees it you will get fined.And some wonder or say a lake is void of fish or numbers are down

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2022, 10:33 PM »
That is a sin. It looked as if they were respectable enough to clean. SAD...

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2022, 07:49 AM »
they did clean them and left the carcasses bishop.  click the pics and youll see them better. lol   they shouuld have sent them down the hole to feed the other fish.  something will clean them up sooner or later.  ill agree with lee in it looks bad for everyone.  at least shove them down a hole.

and its not want n waste it would be littering in this case.  i have seen 2 places, this season, where it was the case with eaters uncleaned.  my guess was it snowing and they lost track of them though.  people dont just leave good eaters in a pile on the ice.  at least not from what i have seen.  usually its a bunch of dinks scattered around.  which doesnt bother me too much as gill populations are generally very high anyhow.  imo it very hard for anglers to impact the gill population on anything but our smallest lakes.

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2022, 10:10 AM »
My bad, need to open my eyes. I am blind in 1 eye and can't see in other LOL.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2022, 10:19 AM »
they did clean them and left the carcasses bishop.  click the pics and youll see them better. lol   they shouuld have sent them down the hole to feed the other fish.  something will clean them up sooner or later.  ill agree with lee in it looks bad for everyone.  at least shove them down a hole.

and its not want n waste it would be littering in this case.  i have seen 2 places, this season, where it was the case with eaters uncleaned.  my guess was it snowing and they lost track of them though.  people dont just leave good eaters in a pile on the ice.  at least not from what i have seen.  usually its a bunch of dinks scattered around.  which doesnt bother me too much as gill populations are generally very high anyhow.  imo it very hard for anglers to impact the gill population on anything but our smallest lakes.

Tim, if the remains go down into deeper water they will mostly decompose and not be food for any scavengers higher up the food chain. Not really a good thing. It's one of the reasons why a lot of states forbid leaving the entrails of fish in the water. I wouldn't even consider doing that in my ponds. In fact I remove and dead fish immediately.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline SlabHammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2022, 04:18 PM »
Out on bear lake last weekend saw this with a bunch of little bluegills, they just tossed them and left them. They must figure they are thinning out the small ones. Absolutely senseless if you ask me.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2022, 05:11 PM »
lots of scavengers on bottom cecil.  crawdads bullheads perch..... i couldnt see it lasting more than couple days.  shoot 1 channel cat could eat half that. lol

OANN the real story

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2022, 08:23 PM »
lots of scavengers on bottom cecil.  crawdads bullheads perch..... i couldnt see it lasting more than couple days.  shoot 1 channel cat could eat half that. lol

In really deep water? Not as deep as you think.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2022, 07:20 AM »
all i know is when i toss out scraps at the cottage in evening, they are all gone in the morning.  i dont recall a depth mentioned besides OP saying close to cattails.  i would think scavengers are all over and can smell a meal a long distances.  i know it winter but i bet they still scavenge.

as far as deep water perch roam the basin at times so yea deep water too. 

still a bad idea to just scatter them on the ice like that.  i bet those carcasses arent there by now. if its the lake im thinking the yotes are thick there and will get them.  i used to take my 44 to that lake because i have seen yotes run acrost 2 times over the years.  talk about making the neighboring shanty occupants jump. a 240xtp over 28gr of h110 is ear blowing! lol  never got the chance to crack one off though.  yet

OANN the real story

Offline brad3324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2022, 08:00 AM »
I saw this a lot as a young guy on willow slough. Before the limit because they had to count them in their 25 limit. A lot of guys thinking they were biologists and the lake needed thinning to get larger fish. The problem is predation. Which the same guys think the limit was foolish because the supply is endless. If that was the case how could they ever thin an endless supply? Then the other day I saw it and wondered why since they are draining it in May.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2022, 09:00 AM »
Good topic for discussion. My thinking is alot like river scum as far as not the reason for smaller gils or numbers in a larger body of water. Years ago it was not unusual to see small fish thrown on ice. Old timers way of thinking passed down to next generations. I don't believe it makes much difference either way but prefer fish go back down the hole. I think CO's might have a serious problem with scrapes piles left on ice but agree they will be taking care of by nature. Just looks bad for alittle while. 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2022, 10:04 AM »
found the same sh!t last Sunday. 70-100, 7-9" perch and bass. Every single one couldve been skinned. Guarantee it was another biologist specializing in fish management on this body of water.

Offline brad3324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2022, 11:43 AM »
found the same sh!t last Sunday. 70-100, 7-9" perch and bass. Every single one couldve been skinned. Guarantee it was another biologist specializing in fish management on this body of water.

What a shame! Too bad a CO wasn't around. Those under size bass get expensive!

Offline mrjoe14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2022, 06:01 PM »
If that was on the Slough, we were by an older gent and he just kept throwing on ice. told him it as stupid since they gonna drain it let them grow for the kids he said DIDNT care.

Offline brad3324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2022, 08:18 AM »
It wouldn't be the Slough with all those perch. There are a lot of guys on that lake with that kind of attitude. I've listened to it all my life. And yet it is still the best fishery in the state.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2022, 05:04 PM »
yes that is a shame!

OANN the real story

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com