Author Topic: general ice thickness...  (Read 3931 times)

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: general ice thickness...
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2021, 07:43 AM »
Jigmaster5,

X2 Well said

John

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: general ice thickness...
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2021, 10:12 AM »
...I’m also conflicted on getting/giving ice condition reports on the internet. In one hand, it’s good for those of us that can’t just go drive and check any given body of water on a whim. In the other hand, you have to trust internet sources and even though ice reports given are often rather accurate, it creates the crowd mentality for the lurkers and then you have to consider the actual fishery. In the third hand, you have guys that want to give accurate safe reports but also don’t want to dip into the second hand. Sure, most of us that are registered users here and actually contribute to the forum are smart enough to use their best judgment. But, there’s the lurkers that go to a thread and only look for “it’s good at ——— lake”. People that want to give legitimate advice aren't only concerned about the crowd mentality but they are also legitimately concerned about others  safety out on the ice. If someone that is comfortable on 2.5” of ice says “it’s good” and a guy only sees that and brings 4 of his buddies and all of their gear and maybe an ATV then fall through, that’s on everyone involved from the advice given to the advice taken. Or, maybe the ice is actually “good to go” but dude forgot to mention the 3 springs that are close to safe travel lanes or that a flock of 700 geese were just resting in that prime spot a day ago and what looks like safe ice is literally just skim ice.

So, giving and receiving ice reports on forums and social media needs to be taken with a grain of salt and every body of water needs to properly checked first hand by any angler planning on fishing that body of water.

Having said that, for those of us that have to mostly rely on second hand information, good luck. And for those that give second hand information, ask those that are asking what they consider safe ice and try not to  give vague info. A lot of guys just want to know if they have to pucker and penguin walk or if they can actually bring their gear with them. I know it’s a vague question, but it’s an important one.

Exactly why I NEVER ask about any specific water unless it's so well known that even Ray Charles could find it.
I will only ask about a "region" and then rely on my own testing to verify if that particular water meets my comfort level.
That's why I like to have a Plan A, B and maybe C when I plan on heading out. More options mean more possibilities.

Above all I still want to play it safe.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.